Australian Aged Pension

If you have lived for an extended period in Aust, you automatically get the pension overseas (INDEFINITELY) or you may have to reside back in Aust for 2-years. DO NOT believe the Centrelink lies because most of what they tell you is NOT the Social Security Act 1991 law. Find out by contacting www,welfarerights (IN YOUR STATE)........Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn;

“Don’t believe them, don’t fear them, don’t ask
anything of them.”Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn;

TO QUALIFY ONE HAS TO BE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA FOR 2 YEARS PRIOR TO CLAIMING PENSION.

IF ONE IS NOT WITHIN THE STATED TIME FRAME, THEN ONE CANNOT LEAVE AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS OR PART THERE OF, AFTER CLAIMING THE PENSION.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME 8 YEARS AGO...YOU GET THE FULL PENSION IF ONE HAS BEEN PAYING TAX FOR NOW, 35 YEARS.

LIVING IN THAILAND ONE DOES NOT GET THE ADDED ONS WHICH AMOUNT TO ABOUT $65.00 A MONTH..

SO, BE PREPARED TO GO BACK TO AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS TO QUALIFY... CHEERS, coffee1.gif

A few factual errors in your post.

Earlier this year I returned to Oz five months prior to pension age and was granted full Aged Pension at retirement age. After being granted Aged Pension you must a resident of Oz for two years to qualify for pension portability.

Paying tax is irrelevant, it's years of residence from age 16, as well as other criteria, not tax payment to qualify for Aged Pension

Edited by simple1

TO QUALIFY ONE HAS TO BE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA FOR 2 YEARS PRIOR TO CLAIMING PENSION.

IF ONE IS NOT WITHIN THE STATED TIME FRAME, THEN ONE CANNOT LEAVE AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS OR PART THERE OF, AFTER CLAIMING THE PENSION.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME 8 YEARS AGO...YOU GET THE FULL PENSION IF ONE HAS BEEN PAYING TAX FOR NOW, 35 YEARS.

LIVING IN THAILAND ONE DOES NOT GET THE ADDED ONS WHICH AMOUNT TO ABOUT $65.00 A MONTH..

SO, BE PREPARED TO GO BACK TO AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS TO QUALIFY... CHEERS, coffee1.gif

Earlier this year I returned to Oz five months prior to pension age and was granted full Aged Pension at retirement age. After being granted Aged Pension you must a resident of Oz for two years to qualify for pension portability.

Paying tax is irrelevant, it's years of residence from age 16, as well as other criteria, not tax payment to qualify for Aged Pension

You're not quite right either, you must be a resident of Australia two years prior to turning 65 and being granted the pension. If you aren't in Australia for the two years prior you will have to do the two years when you return to Australia before the aged pension is portable.

• Like 1

You're not quite right either, you must be a resident of Australia two years prior to turning 65 and being granted the pension. If you aren't in Australia for the two years prior you will have to do the two years when you return to Australia before the aged pension is portable.

Yep my wrong, didn't read the post correctly

Hi all...I have been here for over 12 months and yep on OAP

centrelink sent me a letter wanting to know my BKK bank account so they can deposit OAP through electronic transfer

question is does anyone else have this service from centrelink and if so what are the fees and the exchange rate

I find it easy to transfer money from my AU Wespak account to thailand through an agent who charges .5THB per$1.00AU

Edited by o2eZy

centrelink sent me a letter wanting to know my BKK bank account so they can deposit OAP through electronic transfer

question is does anyone else have this service from centrelink and if so what are the fees and the exchange rate

I find it easy to transfer money from my AU Wespak account to thailand through an agent who charges .5THB per$1.00AU

I think you are better off having the OAP paid into your bank in Australia and transferring the money as you need it into you Thai bank account. That way you can pick when you are getting the best exchange rate. I usually transfer $10,000 when I need it and pay $25 transfer fee, that's with the ANZ.

I've been here 6 years on the OAP.

I have inquired with the Centrelink International division about direct transfer BUT they use CBA and have to send Baht and CBA are usually 1.5 Baht at least off the T/T rate.

As for Social Security Laws - all Acts of law have Regulations attached which are formulated by the Agency affected - in this case - Centrelink.

So You have the Law - but They have the Regulations.

i have just returned from australia and had to stay for 2 years after obtaining my oap,was told by centelink,if I left before the 2 years was up I would have my pension stopped.

Te reason given to me by centrelink was that as I had been living oversea's for the past 20 years I was classified as a non resident.Had my application for the pension rejected at first but after appeal was granted.but with with the 2 year provision attached.

Back living in Thailand now and have letter from centrelink stating my pension is fully portable.

By not returning to Aus every 26 weeks,I lose around 80$ a fornight in benifits,so far as I am concerned not worth the expense.

I've been here 6 years on the OAP.

I have inquired with the Centrelink International division about direct transfer BUT they use CBA and have to send Baht and CBA are usually 1.5 Baht at least off the T/T rate.

As for Social Security Laws - all Acts of law have Regulations attached which are formulated by the Agency affected - in this case - Centrelink.

So You have the Law - but They have the Regulations.

They transfer it free of bank fees but they use an Australian rate for the Thai baht that is averaged over a period and changed periodically. Australian Bank rates are usually about 3baht less than the Thai rate though this spread has been diminishing lately.

You just have to consider it cost $25 per transfer plus about 4% local bank transfer fees (never can really work them out, some rubbish about correpondent bank) so you probably are just as well off getting it paid here by them.

Edited by harrry

My experience is you are much better off transferring large amounts in Australian dollars, and having the Thai bank do the exchange rate. For smaller amounts such as a fortnightly pension, possibly better off transferring in Thai baht with a lower transfer fee.

Another approach is to have a debit card with an Australian bank or credit union, and have Centrelink transfer the money there. Then use the card at a Thai ATM to withdraw money. I am charged $4 by my credit union, and 150 baht by the Thai ATM when I do it this way.

My experience is you are much better off transferring large amounts in Australian dollars, and having the Thai bank do the exchange rate. For smaller amounts such as a fortnightly pension, possibly better off transferring in Thai baht with a lower transfer fee.

Another approach is to have a debit card with an Australian bank or credit union, and have Centrelink transfer the money there. Then use the card at a Thai ATM to withdraw money. I am charged $4 by my credit union, and 150 baht by the Thai ATM when I do it this way.

Online bank transfers are the cheapest way however you must set the overseas transfer facility up while you are in Australia with most banks. Tell the manager you are going to Thailand too or it may well be blocked.

Did I read somewhere on T.V. a while back that the Age Pension (65+) for a male, almost cuts out if you are married to a younger lady who is still considered able to wok and provide family income.

I think a male member quoted that he was living in Thailand and had his pension almost zeroed when he advised Centrelink that he was married in the above circumstance.

I have lived in Thailand for many years with my wife (Australian citizen). My wife is not yet of OLP age.... so I receive half of the marriage rate. CL says that wife should be working. My wife is incapable of working for medical reasons. A CL officer actually advised me to divorce my wife then I would get the Single rate which is far in excess of half of the married rate.

I did exactly the same thing with my defacto, we declared ourselves separated because ( due to my assets ) when she retires next year she would be $350 a fortnight worse off under Centrelink income and asset rules. Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?

Did I read somewhere on T.V. a while back that the Age Pension (65+) for a male, almost cuts out if you are married to a younger lady who is still considered able to wok and provide family income.

I think a male member quoted that he was living in Thailand and had his pension almost zeroed when he advised Centrelink that he was married in the above circumstance.

I have lived in Thailand for many years with my wife (Australian citizen). My wife is not yet of OLP age.... so I receive half of the marriage rate. CL says that wife should be working. My wife is incapable of working for medical reasons. A CL officer actually advised me to divorce my wife then I would get the Single rate which is far in excess of half of the married rate.

Has your wife been assessed by the Australian government?

Does she qualify for the Disability Pension?

Has she applied?

Hi all

A question re the two years leading up to turning 65. I returned to OZ with two and a half years before turning 65 next year.

I have been to Thailand on a couple of holidays of about 2 weeks each over the last year.

I work in OZ now and plan on claiming the aged pension next year when I turn 65.

I will qualify for the aged pension but have concerns about portability of the oap.

Does my time on holiday impact on my resident status leading up to 65 or not? Just a bit worried!!

Maybe someone out there has had a similar dilemna.

Hi all

A question re the two years leading up to turning 65. I returned to OZ with two and a half years before turning 65 next year.

I have been to Thailand on a couple of holidays of about 2 weeks each over the last year.

I work in OZ now and plan on claiming the aged pension next year when I turn 65.

I will qualify for the aged pension but have concerns about portability of the oap.

Does my time on holiday impact on my resident status leading up to 65 or not? Just a bit worried!!

I had several short holidays in the two years prior to turning 65, didn't impact on my pension portability at all.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi all

I had several short holidays in the two years prior to turning 65, didn't impact on my pension portability at all.

Thanks Giddyup - thought that was the case. I had heard that if you choose to come back to OZ at 65, get the aged pension and apply for portability.

Then you are not allowed to leave Australia for the 2 years while you wait for portability - not even short holidays.

If you do, then your two years to portability start again on your return. Can anyone confirm this?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, was reading this superannuation / pension changes article, and thought of you "offshore codgers". Ain't I nice? biggrin.png

http://www.superguide.com.au/how-super-works/2014-federal-budget-superannuation-retirement-changes

Too long to post here, but some sections that may be of interest:

- Raising the preservation age?

- Superannuation pensions will be treated under deemed income provisions (New superannuation pensions caught in the deeming provisions from 1 January 2015. )

- Age Pension age set to increase to age 70 from 2035.

- Age Pensions (and other pensions) will be indexed to inflation (CPI) rather than wages, from September 2017.

As it says at the top of the article, it is updated regularly with any changes.

Cheers.

Am currently in conflict with the Autocratic Centrelink.

Returned to OZ after many years in Thailand.

Eventually granted the OAP and was advised of the 2 year rule.

Being a bit naive I did not realise that it was a blanket ban on leaving OZ.

Advised CL of my desire to return to Thailand for a short time for personal reasons and asked for the consequences in regard to my OAP.

Was advised IN WRITING that my OAP was portable for up to six weeks providing I advised them of my departure and return dates.

Did all that and was then stunned on my next payment date that my OAP was cancelled due to leaving OZ prior to the required two years resident requirement.

With the aid of friends in OZ I am challenging this ruling due to it's "unfairness"

Awaiting CL's response.

• 5 weeks later...

New Info from Centrelink

Changes to Australian pension rules for people leaving Australia after 1 July 2014

attachicon.gif001.jpg

What you must tell us and how to contact us (FREE CALL)

attachicon.gif001.jpg

A list of free call numbers is very helpful to a person with a hearing disability, and as for sending a Fax, ? weren't the made obsolete with carrier pigeons.

Edited by eight

New Info from Centrelink

Changes to Australian pension rules for people leaving Australia after 1 July 2014

attachicon.gif001.jpg

attachicon.gif001.jpg

A list of free call numbers is very helpful to a person with a hearing disability, and as for sending a Fax, ? weren't the made obsolete with carrier pigeons.

A free call number is exactly that a free call number and I feel that a person with a hearing disability, would have a friend that could act on his behalf to ask questions and get the answers he wants.

As for the FAX, it is also a FREE number, it is used mainly for documents that must be signed and faxed.

Not all persons have a computer and scanner, in fact a lot of pensioners or persons living overseas have no idea of how to use a computer or scanner.

I posted the info here to help a lot of Australians that want the info and these are original documents that I posted from Centrelink.

If all you can do is criticise and not have any constructive to say, keep your nose out if it doesn't concern you.

If it does concern you, ask a friend to assist you, as I stated earlier and highlighted.

I recently told Centerlink that I married my Thai GF in August she then had to send in Partner details, to my shock yesterday Centerlink advised me my pension is now changed, downwards of course, reason being my wife is of working age. There is no employment for women in the area we live even if there was it would not make up for my lower pension rate which has been lowered by $156 per fortnight. Anybody else come accross this & if so is there a solution.

Thanks in advance

BHW

I recently told Centerlink that I married my Thai GF in August she then had to send in Partner details, to my shock yesterday Centerlink advised me my pension is now changed, downwards of course, reason being my wife is of working age. There is no employment for women in the area we live even if there was it would not make up for my lower pension rate which has been lowered by $156 per fortnight. Anybody else come accross this & if so is there a solution.

Thanks in advance

BHW

Unfortunately mate that's one of there longstanding rules - to my knowledge no way around it - even a defacto relationship.

That's why I'm a "Boarder" for 6 years - particularly with the AUD heading for the sewer.

• Like 2

Thanks in advance

BHW

Unfortunately mate that's one of there longstanding rules - to my knowledge no way around it - even a defacto relationship.

That's why I'm a "Boarder" for 6 years - particularly with the AUD heading for the sewer.

And the government then rampages about why so many people turn to crime or shady dealings . Complex situation with no easy answers for welfare but i will be in the situation soon too . It seems the genuine people are the ones who pays for the sleezebags who misuse welfare.

Thanks in advance

BHW

And the government then rampages about why so many people turn to crime or shady dealings . Complex situation with no easy answers for welfare but i will be in the situation soon too . It seems the genuine people are the ones who pays for the sleezebags who misuse welfare.

Stupid knee jerk reaction. Let me ask you a question, what is an ex issan farm girl going to earn at working age in Thailand? these laws were designed for Australians in Australia!

Thanks in advance

BHW

Stupid knee jerk reaction. Let me ask you a question, what is an ex issan farm girl going to earn at working age in Thailand? these laws were designed for Australians in Australia!

But applied to any wife or defacto of any nationality in any country.

You'll get no sympathy from the C'link femi-nazis.

New Info from Centrelink

attachicon.gif001.jpg

attachicon.gif001.jpg

A free call number is exactly that a free call number and

I feel that a person with a hearing disability, would have a friend that could act on his behalf to ask questions and get the answers he wants.

As for the FAX, it is also a FREE number, it is used mainly for documents that must be signed and faxed.

Not all persons have a computer and scanner, in fact a lot of pensioners or persons living overseas have no idea of how to use a computer or scanner.

I posted the info here to help a lot of Australians that want the info and these are original documents that I posted from Centrelink.

If all you can do is criticise

and not have any constructive to say

keep your nose out if it doesn't concern you.

If it does concern you, ask a friend to assist you, as I stated earlier and highlighted.

So while I'm on holiday in Pattaya am I [ and others ] to bring a friend with me or would you expect me to walk into a bar and find one that could act on my behalf and ask c/link the questions ???

As for fax machines, ? yea, they are also in every bar.

.OZEMAD for someone who has been here for so long and you being a platinum member, I would have expected better advice than that. and not accuse me of criticising, when you are doing the exact same thing. As for keeping my nose out of it, if it does not concern me ???? are you talking about.

Thanks in advance

BHW

As a pensioner you made mistakes by getting married, and by being honest with CL.

Their rules are unbending and make no allowances for differing circumstance such as residence in another country.

I know, and have heard of other, couples in Australia who have been forced to divorce and live separately because of the impossibility of living on the married rate of the OAP.

Divorce may be your only option to regaining your full pension.

• Like 2