Australian Aged Pension

Born in Australia, worked in Australia from 17 to 45 years old and paid tax all that time. Now living in Thailand with adult Thai son and his family.

Re: gaining the Australian old age pension.

From a lot of literature search one thing that's clear - have to physically be in Australia on the date of applying.

In terms of means test I'm under the point where OA pension would be denied or reduced.

From there, seems to be two 'possibilities':

- No chance at all because not resident.

- Can get it but at a reduced rate.

I've searched for the application form but I can't seem to find it.

My question is about taxation - Does the OAP applicant have to:

- Provide a personal Australian taxation number?

- Provide up to date and finalized yearly taxation returns up to now?

- Provide proof that taxation was paid during the period (in my case) 17 to 45 years old?

The link for how to submit a claim and the information booklet for applying for Aged Pension is below. If you decide to proceed and return to OZ the best method would be to submit electronically and any required doco can be uploaded. It takes about 13 weeks to process the application. Note to make a copy / print prior to submitting.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/age-pension/claiming

I was not required to submit any proof of tax paid, I assume because the pension is not based upon taxation paid, but upon your assets or rather lack of. What you must provide is your movement records from Immigration and Border Control to establish Working Life Residency periods. You will be asked about offshore assets.

Note that if pension is granted you will be required to stay in Oz for two years to obtain portability. You would need to check T&Cs for short term departures such as holidays.

Edited by simple1

Born in Australia, worked in Australia from 17 to 45 years old and paid tax all that time. Now living in Thailand with adult Thai son and his family.

From a lot of literature search one thing that's clear - have to physically be in Australia on the date of applying.

In terms of means test I'm under the point where OA pension would be denied or reduced.

- Provide proof that taxation was paid during the period (in my case) 17 to 45 years old?

You would get the full rate if you are in Australia when you get it and when you apply. \

It will stop if you leave Australia in the first two years after getting it.

It is residence in Australia that counts...tax details are not required.

If you get it and stay in Australia for two years you would get a reduced rate 30/35 the two years in australia are counted. of the full rate if you leave.

Looking at this myself. 3 points come to mind, You have to be a RESIDENT when you apply. Staying in a motel won't cut it.

You need to be a resident for 2 years to get portability. If you are still under 65, it is better to do that BEFORE 65 as it will add to you years of residence. You have 28, which will give you 28/38. An extra 2 will you 30/38. If you stay AFTER you get OAP, those 2 years won't count. that calc is actually reduced down to months, so any time helps.

That might mean living on the dole, but you won't have to actively seek work because of your age. If its a split, any time you stay in Oz after getting OAP, you will get full OAP rate and it will only drop to your calculated rate after 6 months of leaving again.

Note from the last, some blow-in with almost no time spent in Oz who barely qualifies will get FULL OAP in Oz and for 6 months abroad each year.

Edited by halloween

My OAP comes due in 3 years, and I am trying something different. I have all the qualifications of a resident (fixed address, bank a/c, club memberships, phone number, Medicare) and I am working 6 months at least each financial year to qualify as a tax resident (something quite different). I am hoping to claim I am a resident of Australia, who as an elderly self-employed businessman takes 5+ months holiday each year. this not only tops me up to 38 years, but SHOULD give me instant portability.

If anybody has tried this or has any comments would be very interested.

You MUST be in Australia at the time you apply AND qualify for the OAP. If you are outside Australia when you become eligible, be prepared for a lot of hassle.

The best tip I can give is to make an appointment with a Financial Services Officer at Centrelink. It's no use talking to the average Centrelink employee, a lot of them don't know their arse from their elbow. On the other hand, FSO's are impartial, know all the rules and regs, and will give you sound advice on what is and isn't achievable. Good luck.

Better still - call C'link International Services in Hobart. I've always found them very helpful.

If you have been out of Oz substantially your OAP application will be processed there anyhow to ascertain if you are possibly eligible for overseas pension(s) which you must apply for.

My OAP comes due in 3 years, and I am trying something different. I have all the qualifications of a resident (fixed address, bank a/c, club memberships, phone number, Medicare) and I am working 6 months at least each financial year to qualify as a tax resident (something quite different). I am hoping to claim I am a resident of Australia, who as an elderly self-employed businessman takes 5+ months holiday each year. this not only tops me up to 38 years, but SHOULD give me instant portability.

You mention 38 years. Does that refer to 38 years from birth to the date of leaving Australia, or 38 years as a taxpayer? Appreciate your advice on this.

I was born in Australia, lived there until I was 45 years old, got posted to Thailand and never returned. Only earlier time out of Australia was 1 yr 3 months conscript war service in Vietnam.

Veterans Affairs say that I do not qualify for a War Veterans Pension because I am not full time resident in Australia. They say I qualify pretty much automatically except for the resident rule and there is no grey area on this point.

I do receive an Australian War Service Disability Allowance, this is paid to any Australian who has disabilities related to service in a war zone, and paid regardless of your current country of residence.

Other folks have mentioned that there is the possibility of getting the Old Age Pension but I wonder whether it would be possible to receive the OAP and a Disability allowance (two different agencies). Surely the OAP people would push me back to talk to the Veterans Affairs people about a pension?

I did call Centrelink, got connected to their Brisbane office to an unpleasant lady who made it clear my call was a nuisance call and 'read the website'.

In anecdotal conversations I seem to hear two versions in regard to Australian citizens now resident outside of Australia:

1. OAP simply not possible, regardless of years living in Australia / years as a taxpayer, etc.

2. OAP possible but probably at a reduced rate. I've heard mention of 10 % and 20% under the standard rate.

I do realize there is a means test but I am well under any level where I would not qualify on this factor.

I've tried to find an on-line link to the OAP application form but I can't seem to find it. I'm considering going back to Australia to apply for the OAP but I'm trying to get more information before I decide whether to go.

One reason to find the application form is to get a totally clear picture of what back up documentation is required, especially old personal taxation records.

Any solid guidance much appreciated, thanks.

I believe it is 35 years and does not have an age qualification so you would get the full 35/35 allocation abroad.

"You will usually need to have lived in Australia as an Australian resident for 35 years to get a full means tested rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks overseas. If you have lived in Australia for less than 35 years, you will generally get a proportional rate."

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/age-pension/age-pension-while-travelling-outside-australia

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

Edited by rhodie

I believe it is 35 years and does not have an age qualification so you would get the full 35/35 allocation abroad.

It is based on working age not tax so is from 16 to 65. Your service still counts as a resident. You would have to be physically in and say you would be continuing to live in Australia at the date of applying and recieving the age pension. I presume the same rule applies for the army one.

If you leave Australia within 2 years of getting the age pension you lose it after 6 weeks. I do not know the rules for the army one.

You would recieve 20/37 of the full age pension if you leave after this 2 years (you recieve the full rate in Australia). I do not know the army rules

Once again, forget all the anecdotes, confusing website info, unhelpful local C'link offices - contact International Services

+61 3 6222 3455

They will give you an accurate assessment of your situation - IME they are very helpful.

It is based on working age not tax so is from 16 to 65. Your service still counts as a resident. You would have to be physically in and say you would be continuing to live in Australia at the date of applying and recieving the age pension. I presume the same rule applies for the army one.

If you leave Australia within 2 years of getting the age pension you lose it after 6 weeks. I do not know the rules for the army one.

You would recieve 20/37 of the full age pension if you leave after this 2 years (you recieve the full rate in Australia). I do not know the army rules

How do you justify the calculation 20/37? Should one depart Oz two years after being granted Age Pension, pro rata rates are calculated based upon 35 years Working Life Residence, not 37.

Edited by simple1

You mention 38 years. Does that refer to 38 years from birth to the date of leaving Australia, or 38 years as a taxpayer? Appreciate your advice on this.

I was born in Australia, lived there until I was 45 years old, got posted to Thailand and never returned. Only earlier time out of Australia was 1 yr 3 months conscript war service in Vietnam.

Veterans Affairs say that I do not qualify for a War Veterans Pension because I am not full time resident in Australia. They say I qualify pretty much automatically except for the resident rule and there is no grey area on this point.

I do receive an Australian War Service Disability Allowance, this is paid to any Australian who has disabilities related to service in a war zone, and paid regardless of your current country of residence.

Other folks have mentioned that there is the possibility of getting the Old Age Pension but I wonder whether it would be possible to receive the OAP and a Disability allowance (two different agencies). Surely the OAP people would push me back to talk to the Veterans Affairs people about a pension?

I did call Centrelink, got connected to their Brisbane office to an unpleasant lady who made it clear my call was a nuisance call and 'read the website'.

In anecdotal conversations I seem to hear two versions in regard to Australian citizens now resident outside of Australia:

1. OAP simply not possible, regardless of years living in Australia / years as a taxpayer, etc.

2. OAP possible but probably at a reduced rate. I've heard mention of 10 % and 20% under the standard rate.

I do realize there is a means test but I am well under any level where I would not qualify on this factor.

I've tried to find an on-line link to the OAP application form but I can't seem to find it. I'm considering going back to Australia to apply for the OAP but I'm trying to get more information before I decide whether to go.

One reason to find the application form is to get a totally clear picture of what back up documentation is required, especially old personal taxation records.

As per the claim form, if you currently get a Disability Pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), you can choose to have your Age Pension paid by DVA instead of Centrelink. You will need to complete the claim forms but lodge them with DVA (contact your local DVA office for lodgement details).

Claim Form located at:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/sa002-1503en.pdf

Edited by simple1

As per the claim form, if you currently get a Disability Pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), you can choose to have your Age Pension paid by DVA instead of Centrelink. You will need to complete the claim forms but lodge them with DVA (contact your local DVA office for lodgement details).

Claim Form located at:

Thank you simple1, I'll explore that further.

Thanks also for all the replies, appreciated.

Claim Form located at:

Cut and paste of my initial post:

Further item:

The need to be physically in Australia to lodge the AOP application seems to be quite clear.

But I'm confused about how long physically in Australia just prior to lodging the initial OAP claim:

- Some comments seem to indicate that there is a requirement to be physically in Australia for the majority of the 2 years immediately prior to lodging the initial OAP claim.

- Some comments seem to indicate that there is no requirement to be in Australia for an extened period before actually lodging the claim - but must be in Australia on the day of lodgment of the initial claim.

Anybody have any specific and clear answers (not opinions please) on this point?

Thanks.

"You will usually need to have lived in Australia as an Australian resident for 35 years to get a full means tested rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks overseas. If you have lived in Australia for less than 35 years, you will generally get a proportional rate."

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/age-pension/age-pension-while-travelling-outside-australia

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

That is not entirely true.

You can live in other countries with reciprocal social security agreements with Australia (There is 29 such countries including the USA) and count those years as part of the 35 years. Essentially you add the credits of both countries together.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/international-social-security-agreements

Also, another point is you don't need to be resident in Australia at the time to make claim.....here is from the US SS website ....

"As noted in the table, you must normally be resident and physically present in Australia to file a valid claim for Australian benefits. But the agreement lets you file a claim from the U.S. and certain other countries that have agreements with Australia. Social Security credits from both countries can also be counted, when necessary, to meet the eligibility requirements for Australian benefits."

Edited by Time Traveller

You can live in other countries with reciprocal social security agreements with Australia (There is 29 such countries including the USA) and count those years as part of the 35 years. Essentially you add the credits of both countries together.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/international-social-security-agreements

Also, another point is you don't need to be resident in Australia at the time to make claim.....here is from the US SS website ....

"As noted in the table, you must normally be resident and physically present in Australia to file a valid claim for Australian benefits. But the agreement lets you file a claim from the U.S. and certain other countries that have agreements with Australia. Social Security credits from both countries can also be counted, when necessary, to meet the eligibility requirements for Australian benefits."

Well thanks, but I'm referring to living / resident in Thailand rather than any of the countries which have some form of reciprocal benefits arrangements.

Any members know the answer specific to Thailand, please.

Well thanks, but I'm referring to living / resident in Thailand rather than any of the countries which have some form of reciprocal benefits arrangements.

sorry. Thailand kind of sucks, eh

Edited by Time Traveller

sorry. Thailand kind of sucks, eh

Back to the specific question.

................................... Further item:

The need to be physically in Australia to lodge the AOP application seems to be quite clear.

But I'm confused about how long physically in Australia just prior to lodging the initial OAP claim:

- Some comments seem to indicate that there is a requirement to be physically in Australia for the majority of the 2 years immediately prior to lodging the initial OAP claim.

- Some comments seem to indicate that there is no requirement to be in Australia for an extended period before actually lodging the claim - but must be in Australia on the day of lodgment of the initial claim.

Anybody have any specific and clear answers (not opinions please) on this point?

Thanks.

Two years resident in OZ before or after the date of personally applying for the OAP in OZ to gain portability overseas.

"Resident" is determined according to their internal "rules" - which may vary considerably from other agencies such as Tax.

Claim Form located at:

Cut and paste of my initial post:

Further item:

- Some comments seem to indicate that there is no requirement to be in Australia for an extened period before actually lodging the claim - but must be in Australia on the day of lodgment of the initial claim.

Thanks.

Ignore the 38 year comment. Working Life Residency requirement for full pension is 35 years between the age of 16 - 65.

There is no policy requirement to reside for an extended period of time in Oz prior to applying, at the very least that was not my experience. However note it takes about 13 weeks to process a claim and you must prove you meet the criteria for Oz residency. Note the following so get your ducks lined up...I no longer had property in Oz, so signed up for a one year rental property agreement.

If you have spent a significant amount of time in another country, or have significant ties to another country before you claim, Centrelink may make the decision that you no longer regard Australia as your permanent home and are therefore not an Australian resident. In deciding whether you regard Australia as your permanent home, Centrelink will look at your intentions, and your established links with Australia, for example property, bank accounts and family ties.

There are organisations who may be able to assist in your decision making on whether to return to Oz to make a claim for Aged Pension e.g.

http://www.welfarerights.org.au/

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/aus027cb-1402.pdf

may help re working life

also

especially

If you have returned to live in Australia within the last 2 years and you have started receiving Age Pension during this period then you cannot be paid outside Australia until the 2 year waiting period has passed. If you are affected by this rule and you travel to a country Australia has aninternational social security agreement with, the agreement may allow you to continue to get Age Pension.

Edited by harrry

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/aus027cb-1402.pdf

may help re working life

also

especially

If you have returned to live in Australia within the last 2 years and you have started receiving Age Pension during this period then you cannot be paid outside Australia until the 2 year waiting period has passed. If you are affected by this rule and you travel to a country Australia has aninternational social security agreement with, the agreement may allow you to continue to get Age Pension.

Thank you Harry and everybody who has given advice and links, much appreciated.

Coming soon I will call the International office in Hobart and the advice so far gives me a lot of structure to build a good discussion.

The main thing that's worrying me is:

- I am a Vietnam Veteran and I already receive a Vietnam Veterans Disability Allowance.

- I did apply for a veteran pension (in many ways this is similar to the OAP, same rate etc.,) but Veterans Affairs said cannot because I am not full-time resident, they did also tell me that the OAP has some flexibilities about residence but I would need to discuss this further with Centelink.

- I've since seen comment that seems to indicate that veterans can lodge an application for the OAP through Veterans Affairs but a call to the Vet Affairs main switchboard (usually very knowledgeable staff) said 'never heard of it'. But I wonder how often this case would come up and sespecillay where the person is living abroad.

- Ultimately I'm concerned whether I can have 'dealings' with Veterans Affairs for disability and Centrelink for OAP, or would Centrelink say 'have to do everything through Vets Affairs'.

I'm hoping to find something more on the last point before I call Hobart.

Thanks again.

Edited by scorecard

My guess is that whatever happens you have to actually be in Australia (and intending to stay...) to register through either source.

What may differ is on the portability or whether you have to remain in Australia for the two years to do this.

THe International branch in Hobart will give you the full info for the Centerlink pension however you will have to push Repat to find out about the portability of their pension......that may not be the same as Centrelink.

• Like 1

My guess is that whatever happens you have to actually be in Australia (and intending to stay...) to register through either source.

What may differ is on the portability or whether you have to remain in Australia for the two years to do this.

THe International branch in Hobart will give you the full info for the Centerlink pension however you will have to push Repat to find out about the portability of their pension......that may not be the same as Centrelink.

Just sharing, maybe useful to other members. I called Human Services International in Hobart this morning and spoke to a pleasant guy, he listened well seemed to be quite knowledgeable and he gave very clear answers, summary as follows:

- If I go back to Australia I can lodge an application for the OAP immediately but I would have to convince the officers that I am returning to reside full time in Australia, including:

- Prove personal ownership and occupancy of a residence in Australia,

- or show a lease for a rented property (with my name), plus copies of accounts for electricity and other utilities (with my name),

- or prove that I am living with relatives (they would need to sign a declaration)

- Proof of bank accounts in Australia and perhaps more.

(But the realty is that I no longer have any property in Australia and I am the last living person in my family - everybody from both parents sides deceased long ago.)

If / when the OAP was granted, if I leave Australia within the next two years, even for a short period*, then the rate is reduced. If I'm outside Australia for more than 26 weeks then it cancels fully and there would have to be a completely new application to try to restart the OAP (this is within the first 2 years).

(*The officer mentioned there is a requirement to tell Human Services in advance of any travel plans. Advising them after the travel or not advising them at all is serious and would very likely bring a hefty fine and probably immediate cancellation of all benefits.)

After the first 2 years then there is a lot more flexibility and living abroad and continuing to get the OAP is very possible but at a reduced rate (in my case it would reduce to about 83% of the full rate).

I mentioned that I am a Vietnam Veteran and I receive a permanent disability allowance. I also mentioned that my health situation precludes me from living alone. The human services guy politely said that they cannot take that into account in any way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also asked about lodging the OAP application through Veterans Affairs. His response was that he never heard of it before but also mentioned that he is not an expert on the Veterans Affairs laws and regulations. He offered to try to transfer my call to Veterans Affairs.

Tomorrow I will call my Veterans Affairs lady and see what she says about claiming OAP by lodging the application through Veterans Affairs.

Edited by scorecard

@scorecard. You would probably be eligible for rental assistance of up to $128 per fortnight, plus pension supplement of approx $64 per fortnight. Currently the rental and pension supplements cease if you depart Oz for more than six weeks or if you advise you're permanently departing Oz. I understand the six week period will be reduced to two weeks in 2016/17.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/rent-assistance

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/pension-supplement

One thing worth considering is that people in a relationship get a reduced rate. Your partner would not be eligible for a pension (if she has not lived the required time in Thailand,

It may be necescary to "Seperate" if you are dealing with Centrelink. They take a wide view of partners....including same sex.

Edited by harrry

My advice to anyone with a Thai partner dealing with Centrelink is to declare yourself single. There is absolutely no benefit to you from declaring a foreign national as your partner, and you will open a can of worms you will wish you had never touched. All sorts of details will be required, some of which you may not have, and it is likely your SINGLE benefit will be reduced because of partner's income (they must be earning something, right? even if it's in another country?).

I was asked to send a C/L form to my wife in English as Thai not available, have her sign it, despite her being able to read English, and send it back for me to fill out. Yeah sure.

At one stage my payment was stopped because they didn't have HER tax file number, despite her having never been an Oz resident. Took a full day at the local office to sort out.

• Like 1

@scorecard. You would probably be eligible for rental assistance of up to $128 per fortnight, plus pension supplement of approx $64 per fortnight. Currently the rental and pension supplements cease if you depart Oz for more than six weeks or if you advise you're permanently departing Oz. I understand the six week period will be reduced to two weeks in 2016/17.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/rent-assistance

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/pension-supplement

My advice to anyone with a Thai partner dealing with Centrelink is to declare yourself single. There is absolutely no benefit to you from declaring a foreign national as your partner, and you will open a can of worms you will wish you had never touched. All sorts of details will be required, some of which you may not have, and it is likely your SINGLE benefit will be reduced because of partner's income (they must be earning something, right? even if it's in another country?).

I was asked to send a C/L form to my wife in English as Thai not available, have her sign it, despite her being able to read English, and send it back for me to fill out. Yeah sure.

At one stage my payment was stopped because they didn't have HER tax file number, despite her having never been an Oz resident. Took a full day at the local office to sort out.

Yes, I came very close to getting married here. I had already been to the Aussie Embassy in BKK and filled out the stat dec, submitted divorce papers, had it all translated to Thai and submitted to Thai foreign affairs office for their stamp, then read the comments on here re Centrelink and called the marriage off. Pity I hadn't read that info first, would have save me more than a few thousand Baht. I have been getting my monthly OAP payments from Centrelink for the last 5 years without a hitch, so no point in rocking the boat.