Australian Aged Pension

On 9/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, Groove said:

That's right Carlo, I mean I wonder what percentage of Australian workers have paid into a pension fund for all their lives, even paying super, and then not even living long enough to collect it? But at least you have 13.5 years to prepare for your retirement. I was born the 2nd half of 55, and, thinking I would be getting a pension in 2020 had very short notice when Turnbull increased shortly before 1st July 2017. There is now an odds on certainty that Labour will win next year, especially if 1 of their campaign promises is to bring the OAP age back to 65 and promise to return all the money that wasn't paid to people turning 65 on or after 1st July 2017. No, I think the government has got too greedy, and is, as per normal, taking workers for granted, like paid cattle.

The Labour Party in Australia were the ones that instigated raising the AAP to 70y/o.  The lib's said "that's  a good idea, we'll implement it and now we can blame Labour"...don't trust either of them. It's by partisan.

Edited by David Walden

16 hours ago, David Walden said:

I'm a pensioner my assets are below the threshold.  Some people assets are above the threshold their AAP will be adjusted as required.  I live in Thailand 60% of my time 40% back in Aus.   As a single Australian Aged Pension recipient (AAP,  the name Old Aged Pensioner OAP was dropped 30 years ago).  When in Aus the present AAP payment and the pension supplement is $916.30 as shown on the Centrelink web site.  After 6 weeks absent from Aus my AAP payment from Centrelink is exactly $860.   I am well aware that some of the Pension Supplement is still retained in this payment $860.  You need to be bit of a bush lawyer to work it exactly.  My figures are very accurate.  The $916.30 is adjusted every 6 months in line with the CPI

If you are an AAP recipient and wish to live in Thailand that is what you will be paid each fortnight.  Anyhow that's what I'm paid.  It's no secret.

That's correct an if you don't come back during that year , this is what will happen;

Pension rates and thresholds while outside Australia

How much pension while outside Australia A$ amount per year single A$ amount per year couple both eligible A$ amount per year couple one eligible partner A$ amount per year couple separated due to ill health
Maximum basic rate 21,694.40 32,708.00 16,354.00 21,694.40
Basic Pension Supplement 613.60 1,008.80 504.40 613.60
Total 22,308.00 33,716.80 16,858.40

Stopping the Pension Supplement (2016-17 Budget)

Subject to the passage of legislation, the Pension Supplement Basic Amount will stop after six weeks overseas, or immediately if the recipient has permanently departed Australia from the next possible start date after royal ascent.

Currently, the Pension Supplement is reduced to the Basic Amount after six weeks temporary absence from Australia, or immediately for permanent departures.

This measure will affect income support recipients who travel outside Australia temporarily for more than six weeks or immediately if the recipient has permanently departed Australia.

This measure will reinforce and strengthen the residence based nature of Australia’s social security system.

Last updated: 2 July 2018 - 9:04am

I have never taken much notice of the 'asset test' discussions here, I'm far away (age wise) from eligibility.  But I had a look at the C/L website out of curiosity.  And wow, those thresholds are low! 

image.png.7f74a69a94ad8e43ef63fcc4bdab31c4.png  

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/assets/30621#assetstestlimits

Those numbers include your super balance too - in fact there is little other than your 'principle place of residence' that isn't counted as an 'asset'.  Car, caravan, furniture, jewellery, computer - all 'assets'.  

One line from the 'not assessed' section is 'your principal home, if you vacate it for up to 12 months'.  That sounds like keeping your Australian home and living in Thailand means the home will be counted as an 'asset'.  That would certainly blow any chance we have of getting even a part pension! ???? Does anyone have any experience of that?

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/assets/30621#a2

We will keep our Oz home partly as 'plan B', but mostly as somewhere to go back to when we're too old or too sick to live in Thailand.  We won't be renting it out, family will live in it.  Might have to gift it early and pray for no death / divorce / greed.  Still, I'm sure we can find a nice bridge to live under when we're 80-odd.  

• Like 1

It’s the price we pay for not being productive in the Lucky Country and electing Dudds that take us for a Swan dive , Libs slightly better but by not much , and soon, about to get the Short- end of the stick. 

May we be reminded by the great JFK “ Look not what the country can do for you, but what you can do for the country”

I have never taken much notice of the 'asset test' discussions here, I'm far away (age wise) from eligibility.  But I had a look at the C/L website out of curiosity.  And wow, those thresholds are low! 

One line from the 'not assessed' section is 'your principal home, if you vacate it for up to 12 months'.  That sounds like keeping your Australian home and living in Thailand means the home will be counted as an 'asset'.  That would certainly blow any chance we have of getting even a part pension! 

[emoji52] Does anyone have any experience of that?

Yep:

1/Sell your Aus house.
2/Withdraw your super.
3/Proceeds from above are invested and hidden offshore (lots of options)
4/ Get the AAP....AND income from offshore investments
5/ Live the dream ....In Thailand
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CARLO BALDASSARRE said:

That's correct an if you don't come back during that year , this is what will happen;

Pension rates and thresholds while outside Australia

How much pension while outside Australia A$ amount per year single A$ amount per year couple both eligible A$ amount per year couple one eligible partner A$ amount per year couple separated due to ill health
Maximum basic rate 21,694.40 32,708.00 16,354.00 21,694.40
Basic Pension Supplement 613.60 1,008.80 504.40 613.60
Total 22,308.00 33,716.80 16,858.40

Subject to the passage of legislation, the Pension Supplement Basic Amount will stop after six weeks overseas, or immediately if the recipient has permanently departed Australia from the next possible start date after royal ascent.

Currently, the Pension Supplement is reduced to the Basic Amount after six weeks temporary absence from Australia, or immediately for permanent departures.

This measure will affect income support recipients who travel outside Australia temporarily for more than six weeks or immediately if the recipient has permanently departed Australia.

This measure will reinforce and strengthen the residence based nature of Australia’s social security system.

Last updated: 2 July 2018 - 9:04am

As I have said before I have put many post on this site, much to to about the AAP. There are many people who receive the AAP and live all over the world including Thailand, me sometimes.  All of my posts are to do with people who qualify and are presently receiving the AAP.  I don't like getting involved with people trying to get around all the requirement and short cuts to get the AAP which seems to take a lot of useless space on this site.  The requirement are clearly laid down by Centrelink. I have no idea what the situation will be if I'm out of Aus for 12 months or more.  I don't really want to know because I go back and forth to Thailand 3 or 4 months at a time.  If only to keep my Medicare entitlements current it really is worth it.  I do have a lot very useful understanding AAP matter i.e. Assets and income matters or the Work Bonus.  I'm happy to engage in discussion about asset thresholds and lots of other things with people who are presently receiving the AAP.  The figure I have given you above are accurate.

When people on the AAP lose some of their pension 99% of the time it is because their assets or income are above the threshold or they have been found out that they have been over the assets level at some time in the past and did not advise Centrelink, they have to pay money back.  People often have assets in a family trust which they cannot touch and get no income from but they are assets with Centrelink and they have good capital gains or the income is being put back in,doesn't work.  Another common mistake is people giving money to their kids for a house thinking that will bring my assets down and my pension will go up.  Most of the money you have given away is still an asset for Centrelink. 

A common problem is someone leaving a house to a pensioner.  The house is transferred to the new owner but there is a condition in the will that the partner of the deceased person can live rent free for the rest of their life.  The house is worth 2 million dollars.  Pension gone, but you may be able to have the house assessed as an non asset as you cannot obtain any benefit from it.  Lots of cases like this.

Edited by David Walden

1 hour ago, moojar said:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/assets/30621#assetstestlimits

Those numbers include your super balance too - in fact there is little other than your 'principle place of residence' that isn't counted as an 'asset'.  Car, caravan, furniture, jewellery, computer - all 'assets'.  

One line from the 'not assessed' section is 'your principal home, if you vacate it for up to 12 months'.  That sounds like keeping your Australian home and living in Thailand means the home will be counted as an 'asset'.  That would certainly blow any chance we have of getting even a part pension! ???? Does anyone have any experience of that?

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/assets/30621#a2

We will keep our Oz home partly as 'plan B', but mostly as somewhere to go back to when we're too old or too sick to live in Thailand.  We won't be renting it out, family will live in it.  Might have to gift it early and pray for no death / divorce / greed.  Still, I'm sure we can find a nice bridge to live under when we're 80-odd.  

Now you know one of the reasons I live 60% in Thailand and 40% in Aus.  Not so far from Perth.

And yes I've been called all sorts of things on this site for telling the truth about Centrelink assets and income matters.  It disappoints me a lot because only half of those insults are true?...5555

Sometimes you have to be a good bush lawyer with Centrelink.  The basic rate for the pension after 6 weeks absent from Aus is $834.  After 6 weeks absent from Aus I get $860.  There appears to be some items that are included in the AAP which stay in the payment above the basic rate even when have left the country for more then 6 weeks.  They are not part of the basic rate and they are not part of the Pension Supplement.  Centrelink keeps the name secret.  They may be called the "black stump Bonus" or "Outback River flow Adjustment Bonus" or similar.  They still remain in the payment I receive in my account in Aus.  Centrelink is not subject to laws in Australia regarding "Deceptive and misleading information" and they actually quite good at it.  I only keep money in Aus and do not rely on Centrelink to transfer money to me.  I don't know if they do charge for that service? 

This measure will affect income support recipients who travel outside Australia temporarily for more than six weeks or immediately if the recipient has permanently departed Australia.   If you leave Aus without giving a return date you will be assessed as having left Aus permanently   Any date will do and change your mind latter (advice given to me by Centrelink staff, it does work).

This measure will reinforce and strengthen the residence based nature of Australia’s social security system.  And of course reduce you payments?...5555...They forgot that bit.

Edited by David Walden

Hey I think I accidentally found a neat loophole to the 2 year portability prison sentence.   It seems that significant travel out during your 2 years porridge in the 'big house' can mean not only loss of pension while outside Oz but also being deemed a non-res and loosing it altogether.  Here is a little quirk in the Aust Pension NZ agreement.  If you were to become a resident in NZ, get your pension portable on an 'agreement basis' (no requirement for you to be 2 years prior Oz residency), you can come and go as often as you like from NZ as long as your exit does not exceed 26 weeks.  So there you go, it would mean that you would be indefinitely required to go to NZ every six months but it doesn't mean you have to sit an rot in a high cost place like Oz and your trips out are not confined to limits imposed if you were going to and fro from Oz.  Obviously DYOR but appears on the surface to be a significant opportunity for retirees to avoid that pesky 2 year prison sentence.

Edited by Tradewind777
Added text

21 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

Hey I think I accidentally found a neat loophole to the 2 year portability prison sentence.   It seems that significant travel out during your 2 years porridge in the 'big house' can mean not only loss of pension while outside Oz but also being deemed a non-res and loosing it altogether.  Here is a little quirk in the Aust Pension NZ agreement.  If you were to become a resident in NZ, get your pension portable on an 'agreement basis' (no requirement for you to be 2 years prior Oz residency), you can come and go as often as you like from NZ as long as your exit does not exceed 26 weeks.  So there you go, it would mean that you would be indefinitely required to go to NZ every six months but it doesn't mean you have to sit an rot in a high cost place like Oz and your trips out are not confined to limits imposed if you were going to and fro from Oz.  Obviously DYOR but appears on the surface to be a significant opportunity for retirees to avoid that pesky 2 year prison sentence.

Hell no you got that wrong.....

When you leave Australia for more than 26 weeks

Your rate will depend on how long you were an Australian resident between the age of 16 and age pension age.

If you were an Australian resident for:

• 35 years or more your rate normally won’t change
  • less than 35 years you’ll normally get a lower rate, for example, if you were a resident for 10 years you’ll get 10/35ths of your usual rate

Your rate normally won’t change if you:

• were an Australian resident for 25 years or more, and
  • were getting Age Pension or another Australian social security payment while living outside Australia on 1 July 2011
  • How we decide

When we are deciding whether you live in Australia, we’ll look at:

where you live and who you live with

if you have family in Australia or overseas

your employment, business or financial ties in Australia and overseas

your assets in Australia and overseas

how often and how long you travel outside Australia, and

anything else we think is relevant

• How we decide

• where you live and who you live with
  • if you have family in Australia or overseas
  • your employment, business or financial ties in Australia and overseas
  • your assets in Australia and overseas
  • how often and how long you travel outside Australia, and
  • anything else we think is relevant
  • If you leave Australia temporarily but stay an Australian resident, this normally counts as part of the 2 years.

Edited by CARLO BALDASSARRE

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

Now you know one of the reasons I live 60% in Thailand and 40% in Aus.  Not so far from Perth.

And yes I've been called all sorts of things on this site for telling the truth about Centrelink assets and income matters.  It disappoints me a lot because only half of those insults are true?...5555

Only half?  You can be a bit long winded mate, but I like your sense of humour.  ????

Ah, I'm coming round to letting go of the '100% of my time in Thailand' dream.  We have talked about doing the grey nomad thing when it comes time to serve our two year sentence, but maybe we'll do it a little bit every year instead and maintain our residency rather than have to reestablish it.  Meh, Thailand is too bloody hot anyway.  ????   

Is 60 / 40 enough though?  Not for the ATO I suspect, and who knows with Centrelink.   

1 hour ago, CARLO BALDASSARRE said:

Hell no you got that wrong.....

When you leave Australia for more than 26 weeks

Your rate will depend on how long you were an Australian resident between the age of 16 and age pension age.

If you were an Australian resident for:

• 35 years or more your rate normally won’t change
  • less than 35 years you’ll normally get a lower rate, for example, if you were a resident for 10 years you’ll get 10/35ths of your usual rate

Your rate normally won’t change if you:

• were an Australian resident for 25 years or more, and
  • were getting Age Pension or another Australian social security payment while living outside Australia on 1 July 2011
  • How we decide

where you live and who you live with

if you have family in Australia or overseas

your employment, business or financial ties in Australia and overseas

your assets in Australia and overseas

how often and how long you travel outside Australia, and

anything else we think is relevant

• How we decide

• where you live and who you live with
  • if you have family in Australia or overseas
  • your employment, business or financial ties in Australia and overseas
  • your assets in Australia and overseas
  • how often and how long you travel outside Australia, and
  • anything else we think is relevant
  • If you leave Australia temporarily but stay an Australian resident, this normally counts as part of the 2 years.

You are actually talking about the residence before portability matter.  What I am talking about is receiving the pension in an "agreement country".  In this case, I used NZ as the example.    This is treated different to taking off to Thailand - which is not an 'agreement country'.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Yep:

1/Sell your Aus house.
2/Withdraw your super.
3/Proceeds from above are invested and hidden offshore (lots of options)
4/ Get the AAP....AND income from offshore investments
5/ Live the dream ....In Thailand

Yeah, I see that is the logical thing to do.  We're in Sydney though, it's getting to the point where you pass the house AND the mortgage on to the next generation.  

Then again, I'm still on my first marriage.  ????

5 hours ago, moojar said:

Only half?  You can be a bit long winded mate, but I like your sense of humour.  ????

Ah, I'm coming round to letting go of the '100% of my time in Thailand' dream.  We have talked about doing the grey nomad thing when it comes time to serve our two year sentence, but maybe we'll do it a little bit every year instead and maintain our residency rather than have to reestablish it.  Meh, Thailand is too bloody hot anyway.  ????   

Is 60 / 40 enough though?  Not for the ATO I suspect, and who knows with Centrelink.   

OK I think I am a bit short with comments about the AAP there are millions of words about this, a lot of people can't get a handle around it.  I can but my post are very brief, yes really.  I like to help where I can because I've had a lot of experience with this subject I try to make comments brief, yes brief.  Clearly the points I make are of no interest to you so don't read them.  I'm sure there others that do appreciate my comments because I see them struggling.  My experience come from being in a relationship with a Centrelink investigator.  Very stressful job she caught lots of people, most wanted to kill her and that was every day.  It eventually got the best of her. retired early, had to.  There are some real shits out there.

Many people are to frightened to go to Centrelink so I became an advocate for a large charity assisting people and supporting them.  At the age of 69 after a lengthy interview assisting a lady with problems and many others before her the manager of my local Centrelink came to talk to me and offered me a job.  I said "they don't give 69 y/o a job"  His response was "we have 19 and 20 year old kids trying to give advice to 70 y/o people about AAP matter they have not got a clue".  They had clearly assessed me in the previous years I had been attending with other people.  I live in the South West of WA.  I was required to go to Canberra for 2 months for supervised training.  The pay was good but I was driving a Govt school bus part time then, $33 per hour 20 hours a week was just good.  The bus job gave me lots of experience working part time getting the pension and the "work bonus" system and assets and income matters.  When I declined the job the manager at Centrelink asked me why I said "I'll loose my pension" he did laugh, The rest is history.  I still go into Centrelink just to chat when back in Aus.  And yes I also have a campervan at home,  Maybe I'll see you on the road one day.  Escalating fuel prices are slowing people down from crossing the Nullabour.  Pity. The fuel just to drive Pert to Sydney and back again about $2500.

PS...Opps Is this reply short enough for you?

Edited by David Walden

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, David Walden said:

As a single person you will receive the full AAP if their total assets are below about $465,000 and do not own a house they live in.   The assets can be Super a car, shares etc.

As far as I know you do not have to accept an inheritance if you don't and are happy with your $450,000 of assets you will still receive the full pension. 

Actually super and shares are classed by Centrelink as financial assets and are deemed as income. 

The full AAP will only be paid for financial assets up to $161,230 not the $465,000 which is the limit for non financial assets.

Relinquishment of an inheritance would be considered as a gift by Centrelink and would be assessed under deprivation rules. 

Edited by LosLobo
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

The full AAP will only be paid for financial assets up to $161,230 not the $465,000 which is the limit for non financial assets.

Correction The full AAP will be limited to financial assets up to $161,230.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Rubbish, absolute rubbish.  There is no other way to reply to your comment.

This should have been my full post on this subject.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish.  There is no other way to reply to your comment.  I have no idea where you got your information from. Certainly not from the Centrelink web site.  This post site is about the Australian Aged Pension (AAP).  Some of the recent post links on this site clearly show that a single recipient of the AAP  who have assets of $465,000 and no house and live on their own will be paid the full pension in Australia which is presently $916.30 P/F and perhaps receive rent assistant benefit from Centrelink.  You can spend whatever you like or give your assets away as you please because your are under the asset threshold.  It's only when you are above the asset level threshold you will loose some of your pension if you divest your assets.  You have to advise Centrelink of any variation  in you assets even if they are under the threshold.  

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, David Walden said:

PS...Opps Is this reply short enough for you?

Haha, I wasn't having a go at you, just (trying) to have a laugh.  

You sound like you have good life experience.  Kudos to the C/L manager for trying to recruit you, not the sort of thinking you expect from corporate management.  

• Confused 1

Correction : The full AAP will be limited to financial assets up to $161,230.

100% CORRECT!!  

If you’ve got more than $161,230 in FINANCIAL assets (super, shares, money in bank, money under bed etc) you won’t get the full aged pension because you’re exceeding the allowable income - regardless of how much interest your FINANCIAL assets are actually returning.

If you don’t agree with the above, or if unsure, suggest contacting an Australian Financial Planner or CentreLink for further verification.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Actually super and shares are classed by Centrelink as financial assets and are deemed as income. 

Relinquishment of an inheritance would be considered as a gift by Centrelink and would be assessed under deprivation rules. 

An inheritance only becomes an asset when you receive it.  What is in a will is no business of Centrelink.  You can just not accept a benefit under a will as you wish.  The value of the estate will just flow through to the next person.  Usually your children. ( happens a lot)

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, David Walden said:

An inheritance only becomes an asset when you receive it.  What is in a will is no business of Centrelink.  You can just not accept a benefit under a will as you wish.  The value of the estate will just flow through to the next person.  Usually your children. ( happens a lot)

The DSS seems to think otherwise......

Person is beneficiary of deceased estate, or has interest in a superannuation fund

Deprivation provisions apply to a person's interest in a deceased estate or superannuation fund IF the person:

• waives their right to their interest in the deceased estate or superannuation fund and the person obtains no, or inadequate consideration, OR
  • directs the executor of the will or trustee of the superannuation fund to distribute their interest in the deceased estate or superannuation fund to a third party and the person obtains no consideration, or inadequate consideration, OR
  • gives their interest in the deceased estate to a third party after the estate has been finalised for no or inadequate consideration, OR
  • gifts their interest in a superannuation fund.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CARLO BALDASSARRE said:

WRONG ....YOU HAVE TOTALLY LOST IT ......!!!!

• Members
  • 355 posts

Those numbers include your super balance too - in fact there is little other than your 'principle place of residence' that isn't counted as an 'asset'. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Walden said:

Rubbish, absolute rubbish.  There is no other way to reply to your comment.

David I am sorry that I keep contradicting you.

I do realise that you have had a lot of experience in the past.

But with respect, AAP legislation is a dynamic beast with Canberra relentlessly trying to curtail pensioner payments.

I believe even some professional financial planners have difficulty in keeping abreast of legislation.

• Like 1

I am as described a single AAP recipient and a home owner.   My asset threshold is $258,500 I am below that and above the $165,000 you suggest is the limit.  This is the year 2018.  10 years ago in 2008 the asset threshold was about $165,000...I rest my case.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I am as described a single AAP recipient and a home owner.   My asset threshold is $258,500 I am below that and above the $165,000 you suggest is the limit.  This is the year 2018.  10 years ago in 2008 the asset threshold was about $165,000...I rest my case.

Your one of the lucky ones! Legislation changed on 1 Jan 2015 and your situation was grand-fathered. 

9 hours ago, moojar said:

Haha, I wasn't having a go at you, just (trying) to have a laugh.  

You sound like you have good life experience.  Kudos to the C/L manager for trying to recruit you, not the sort of thinking you expect from corporate management.  

Thank you moojar,   After doing all the sums if I took the job with Centrelink.  The gov didn't have to pay me a pension of $24,000.  I'd loose my 50% council rates subsidy discount on water, electricity, gas and other.  I'd loose all my pensioner discount benefits and my  $600 country fuel card benefit.  if you work over 25 hrs a week you can't get the pensioner discount card in W.A.  I'd now have to pay about $4,000 tax. No compulsory Super contribution ( to bloody old). etc, etc.  I really loved driving the school bus kids only had 2 punch ups in 10 years, the rest of the time lovely.  Even the punch ups turned out great.  The kids were all high school. 

My old girlfriend after working as an investigator for 30 years with Centrelink went bonkers...yes bonkers.  Got abused everyday by some very nasty people.  She used to say "people think I make the rules".  Her main field was investigating people putting false income statements on there application forms for child care subsidies.  She had access to the real ATO figures and the client realised they had run up a bill for thousands of dollars with the child care centre and they had to pay the bill themselves, some needed to be taken to the funny farm.  She used to do the interviews at the child care centres by appointment to make it easier on the mums.   People often used to get a letter from the boss saying they are paid $70,000 a year salary but they a FIFO workers doing 84 hrs a week and earning with overtime $160,000 per year  and way over the threshold, they get no subsidy and have to pay the bill themselves.

• Like 1