Australian Aged Pension

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

We know this, but what about re-establishing residency before applying?

As I asked in another post, is it really that easy to fly back into Australia before your birthday, after 20 years away, apply, receive, and fly out again with portability.  If so, I would be somewhat surprised, but hey, Australia has an easy welfare system.  

No, it's not possible to fly in after years away, get a pension and fly out again - end of story. 

Fly in after years away and get a pension if eligible, yes - but basically  grounded for 2 years before portability is granted - again, end of story. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

That is correct, if you haven't been resident for 2 years prior to applying for OAP then you need to spend 2 years as a resident for portability, however I think there is provision to exit for occasional short periods such as holidays - but this time away might be tacked onto the 2 year period ---  worth checking.

A few points:

Yes, after your OAP is approved you can do short several trips out and return to Australia (short trips is not well defined, as an example say 3 weeks) during the next 2 years:

• - If you do a 'short trip' out your OAP payments are suspended (Centrelink has a 24/7 live link to immigration records (passport records) and if you depart and return Centrelink knows instantly and instantly stops / reinstates any payments.
  • - The 2 years is calculated from the date you arrived back in Oz (after a long absence), It's NOT calculated from the date your OAP application was lodged or approved.
  • - Short periods out of Oz do NOT impact the accumulation of the 2 years, even if you do several short trips out; the accumulation continues unaffected by any short trips out. In Other words the accumulation of the 2 years continues uninterrupted by any short trips out.

I returned after a long absence, I applied for the OAP and it was approved.

I called the older Australian line several times (132300) and asked about the bullet points.

During each call I asked a 'new' question and looked for confirmation of the previous answers to other points.

All confirmed.

In reality these bullet points are a direct result of my calls to 132300. 

Then COVID- 19 happened and I stayed put in Oz. 

All of the above has been previously shared on this site by many Australians. 

• Thanks 1

Centrelink International is the section to call regards all questions on portability of the OAP.

I have called 131673 and they answered all my questions on portability of my OAP. 

@scorecard has correctly  answered most of the questions regarding portability in his post above

On 9/16/2024 at 12:54 AM, Artisi said:

No, it's not possible to fly in after years away, get a pension and fly out again - end of story. 

Fly in after years away and get a pension if eligible, yes - but basically  grounded for 2 years before portability is granted - again, end of story. 

So, a member has said you just need to be in Australia at the time of becoming eligible, and you say that's not the case, which I suspected. 

If one has been away for 20 years, how long before their eligible date for application should they return to Australia?

On 9/15/2024 at 11:46 PM, Olmate said:

Surely your not suggesting we need a yearly pass to travel the roadways.

Wow.  How out of touch are you?  You already do, they are called "E-Tags" and you stick them on your windscreen. 

Dated just yesterday.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/sydney-drivers-paying-upwards-of-10000-a-year-on-tolls/

"According to figures released by the state’s E-Toll provider, 901 motorists paid between $10,000 and $20,000 in the last financial year to end of June, with around a dozen spending upwards of $30,000.

And that doesn’t even include businesses who use more than three tags or private account holders.

"E-Toll users are spending $2.5 billion a year to drive on NSW toll roads – all of which are in the Sydney area – with the big-spending motorists mostly from the city's west.

The above is just from NSW, not nation wide. 

Nice earner.

How is it that KH, the not to be eligible for OAP Oz tax avoider, (by his own admission), supposedly live out of the country,are judging the welfare system? 

I worked hard all my life, so did my ex-wife, and we made some good investments.  Our divorce was amicable.  It allowed me to retire earlier than most.  I have assets over the threshold to claim an aged pension. 

To clarify, the tax I am avoiding is the same tax pensioners are avoiding, and that is, non resident tax.  I am still paying tax in Australia. 

Remember, the pension is deemed an income, the pension is taxable, expats living in Thailand are obviously non residents of Australia for tax purposes, and the tax bracket for a non resident is 30% from $0.  

Next Q. How to pronounce hypocritical troll ! 

Oh, the irony.

However, the proposed changes from "domiciled" to a time based and physical presence residency model will see all Aussie expats deriving an income, which is also a pension, up for non resident tax.  

Talk about shoot yourself in the foot.  :cheesy:   

• Sad 1

On 9/5/2024 at 12:03 AM, KhunHeineken said:

A family member is living in my property, and we have an "agreement."  They also holiday in Thailand, usually twice a year.  Upon catching up, cash is exchanged for rent and utility bills.  None of it's right down to the dollar.  It works for them, and works for me.  We both benefit financially.  It's amicable.

The property is just a bolthole for me.  We are both happy with the deal.  They get reasonably cheap rent, I get a "domicile" in Australia and some cash, and I haven't burnt all my bridges, and don't pay non resident tax rates. 

Where's the BS in this?  I have quite a few Aussie friends doing the same.  

38 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

To clarify, the tax I am avoiding is the same tax pensioners are avoiding, and that is, non resident tax.  I am still paying tax in Australia. 

How do you state the above when you admitted you rent your property in Australia for cash that you don't declare to the tax office? That's tax fraud, which is up to you, but don't say you only avoid tax like everyone else...

Edited by Pattaya57

25 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

How do you state the above when you admitted you rent your property in Australia for cash that you don't declare to the tax office? That's tax fraud!

Duplicate post.

Edited by KhunHeineken

25 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

How do you state the above when you admitted you rent your property in Australia for cash that you don't declare to the tax office? That's tax fraud!

You use the word "property." 

I have multiple properties, and other investments.  The properties are all in the hands of real estate property managers and on the books,  I pay tax on the rental income.   

The "property" in which a family member is residing has everything in my name.  It's my "domicile."  I am just on a long holiday.  I know many Aussies still maintaining a "domicile" in Australia to avoid paying non resident tax.  Some vacant, some with a family member or friend.  It's been going on for decades.    

Why do you think the Australian government wants to like Thailand, 183 inside = resident.  183  outside = non resident.  It gets people like me, but also gets pensioners.  

It's a tax we should have all been paying, but the government can't disprove "intention."  or otherwise, to return to Australia.  With the 183 days, they don't have to.  That's why I posted about it, so long ago. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, a member has said you just need to be in Australia at the time of becoming eligible, and you say that's not the case, which I suspected. 

If one has been away for 20 years, how long before their eligible date for application should they return to Australia?

No, I said you can't fly in, get a pension and fly out if your have been absent for a longish period.

If of pension age, you can fly in and apply for a pension but have to stay 2 years for portability. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

No, I said you can't fly in, get a pension and fly out if your have been absent for a longish period.

If of pension age, you can fly in and apply for a pension but have to stay 2 years for portability. 

You haven't answered the question. 

Example:  Say one's pension age is 67.  They have been outside of Australia since their mid to late 40's, for whatever reason. 

How long before the day they turn 67 should they return to Australia to guarantee portability on the day they apply, and receive, the aged pension?   

52 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

You haven't answered the question. 

Example:  Say one's pension age is 67.  They have been outside of Australia since their mid to late 40's, for whatever reason. 

How long before the day they turn 67 should they return to Australia to guarantee portability on the day they apply, and receive, the aged pension?   

He has answered the question.

Twice actually.

In the example you provided, he's eligible for the pension at 67.

He can return to Australia on the day (or earlier) and apply.

Once granted, he won't be eligible for portability for 2 years.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

You always, deliberately I suspect, make things complicated.

You wrote:  

"Say one's pension age is 67.  They have been outside of Australia since their mid to late 40's, for whatever reason. 

How long before the day they turn 67 should they return to Australia to guarantee portability on the day they apply, and receive, the aged pension? " 

Nobody can 'pick a date' to guarantee portability on the day they apply or on any date. It doesn't work like that. Or put that another way, there is no way whatever that a person can receive portability on the date they apply for the OAP.

Portability depends on a couple of factors, one being that the person is already receiving the OAP.

The  2 years period starts on the day the person arrived back in Australia, it DOESN'T start on the day the person applies for and/or is approved for the OAP.

A person can apply for the OAP on the day they become eligible (by age). Or they can apply on any date after that, even several years later. If you apply several years after the eligibility date, even say 20 years later no questions are asked, doesn't change anything about the '2 years' to gain portability.

But keep in mind there's several other items involved to get approval for the OAP.  

Also keep in mind the person must physically be in Australia on the day they lodge their application for the OAP and the person must have a Centrelink CRN (Centrelink Reference number - which is simple and  issued at any Centrelink office in a few minutes. You do need proof of identity).  

As mentioned above the person must be in Oz on the date of lodging the OAP application and this is NOT flexible (sickness is not accepted, living in a wheelchair is not accepted) and it cannot be done by e.mail of by phone before the person arrives back in OZ. It cannot be done by the person calling a Centrelink office and completing the CRN application on the phone even it the call is a domestic phone call. 

Now let's see how you can twist / challenge / disagree with these FACTS.

You're still on my IGNORE list.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

He has answered the question.

Twice actually.

In the example you provided, he's eligible for the pension at 67.

He can return to Australia on the day (or earlier) and apply.

Once granted, he won't be eligible for portability for 2 years.

I'll make it simple for you.

Say one goes back to Australia 6 months before their birthday and apply on the day, do they have to stay 18 months after they are granted the pension, or still stall 2 years afterward for portability? 

I can give many other scenarios buy months, but do YOU see the point I am trying to make? 

Sure, return just over 2 years before your birthday and application date, apply, granted, and fly out with portability.  I get that, but that's not the question I am asking, is it? 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

How long before the day they turn 67 should they return to Australia to guarantee portability on the day they apply, and receive, the aged pension? " 

Great question.  I wished I asked it myself.  :smile:

Nobody can 'pick a date' to guarantee portability on the day they apply or on any date. It doesn't work like that.

But Will27 posted the question has been answered, twice. 

What is one to believe?  

Portability depends on a couple of factors, one being that the person is already receiving the OAP.

That's a given, of course.  There can be no portability without a pension, right? 

The  2 years period starts on the day the person arrived back in Australia, it DOESN'T start on the day the person applies for and/or is approved for the OAP.

Before, or after, their birthday, thus, their application date? 

You do not mention an arrival date back to Australia BEFORE their birthday and application date. 

A person can apply for the OAP on the day they become eligible (by age). Or they can apply on any date after that, even several years later. If you apply several years after the eligibility date, even say 20 years later no questions are asked, doesn't change anything about the '2 years' to gain portability.

We know this.

lso keep in mind the person must physically be in Australia on the day they lodge their application for the OAP and the person must have a Centrelink CRN (Centrelink Reference number - which is simple and  issued at any Centrelink office in a few minutes. You do need proof of identity).  

We know this also.

Now let's see how you can twist / challenge / disagree with these FACTS.

I don't want to twist / challenge / disagree  with anything. 

I want to know if someone has been outside of Australia for say 20 years, how many years / months do they have to return to Australia BEFORE their qualifying birthday for the pension, so they can fly straight out with portability.  

I really can't make the question more simple. 

Do you know the answer?  Yes, or no? 

It's important because we have a member suggesting you just have to be inside Australia at the time of applying, which I found surprising. 

Edited by KhunHeineken