Australian Aged Pension

11 hours ago, rhodie said:

It would seem that there are no/not many cases where the portability has been denied when the applicant "travels" as I have not seen a case for these circumstances. So if you move about overseas, but return to Australia regularly and have a home there and not anywhere else, it looks good. Just wish there was a concrete rule to abide by! :smile:

I have had portability of pension since 2000,  the rules started changing in 2004  and have gradually changed since then.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

This guy was living and working overseas.

I have not had time yet to read the full transcript, but it seems he was out of the country for over 3 years before he applied and still managed to get portability. I have a few years to go, but it seems to me that as long as you don't "establish" yourself in a foreign country you should be ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

I have not had time yet to read the full transcript, but it seems he was out of the country for over 3 years before he applied and still managed to get portability. I have a few years to go, but it seems to me that as long as you don't "establish" yourself in a foreign country you should be ok.

Yes, whatever you do, dont "establish" yourself.

37 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Is there anyone out there presently having problems with a Aged pension application.

I am in Australia at the moment and having major problems with the process.

Perhaps you can explain what problems you are having.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps you can explain what problems you are having.

My mate, in Oz, all his life,  applied in Jan., still waiting to be processed, nothing unusual about the delay. Those trying to get what they may not be entitled to can expect close scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, keithpa said:

My mate, in Oz, all his life,  applied in Jan., still waiting to be processed, nothing unusual about the delay. Those trying to get what they may not be entitled to can expect close scrutiny.

Yes I suspect there is a backlog. My mother recently retired and was told to apply six weeks before retirement to allow for processing time. She still had a one month gap after her final day at work before it was processed and payments started. Thankfully she had her final holiday payout to live on in the interim. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goinghomesoon said:

Yes I suspect there is a backlog. My mother recently retired and was told to apply six weeks before retirement to allow for processing time. She still had a one month gap after her final day at work before it was processed and payments started. Thankfully she had her final holiday payout to live on in the interim. 

You will get a back payment anyway from the time you become eligible,  if there is a delay.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, Ron19 said:

Is there anyone out there presently having problems with a Aged pension application.

I am in Australia at the moment and having major problems with the process.

I was given an estimated date of May 3 for a decision, mid afternoon on the day before I got a call from Centrelink that I had to submit more documents that I didn't have from Thailand If i didn't submit them within 14 days the application would lapse. Managed to get them and submitted them within 3 days, heard nothing since then. Having a similar problem with Medicare.

Go back for 2 years... And spend more money than I will get from the OAP. No thanks I am happy living here .

Worked for over 40 years and this is how they treat you.

Edited by kevvy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kevvy said:

Go back for 2 years... And spend more money than I will get from the OAP. No thanks I am happy living here .

Worked for over 40 years and this is how they treat you.

Maybe think again. Pension at 67 - live to 87 = 20 years.  $20K per year = $400K = 10 million baht (@25).  Plus CPI indexed increases.

Up to you, but I am doing it - and so do many others..

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, David Walden said:

If you ever want to bring your wife partner to Aus from Thailand you most likely will have to declare her as your partner...hmmmm

And God Forbid if you had been telling porkies that you have been Ampur Married for only 8 months when in fact, you married her ten years prior. Or you are village married 15 years prior, still with the same person and classed as defacto. 

What a payback bill you would have.

Nope, tell the truth

On 4/25/2018 at 6:46 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

"No I am not married in Thailand"  "Yes, I am in a relationship at the moment, but that could and does change regularly"  "What her or his name is, and whwere he or she lives, and how long I have known him or her is none of your business, and you have no right to ask"  "No I am not married in Thailand"   

Hmmm... Overseas Services asked me the above Questions and believe me, they will ask you for an ID card number of your wife or suspected girlfriend and they do have the right to ask if they think you are defrauding them.

I am Amphur married, have nothing to hide. I lost money but gave me many more benefits in the end.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

And God Forbid if you had been telling porkies that you have been Ampur Married for only 8 months when in fact, you married her ten years prior. Or you are village married 15 years prior, still with the same person and classed as defacto. 

Nope, tell the truth

Hmmm... Overseas Services asked me the above Questions and believe me, they will ask you for an ID card number of your wife or suspected girlfriend and they do have the right to ask if they think you are defrauding them.

I am Amphur married, have nothing to hide. I lost money but gave me many more benefits in the end.

You know that you can claim an exemption from being treated as a member of a couple if your wife has no income?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Maybe think again. Pension at 67 - live to 87 = 20 years.  $20K per year = $400K = 10 million baht (@25).  Plus CPI indexed increases.

It will depend on what your income is whether you will get a full OAP or not. I only get $700 a month, which is still not to be sneezed at, but my super and bank interest cuts the pension.

• Like 1

Could not agree more!

I mean, if you qualify for OAP portability then why wouldn’t you apply for it to live more comfortably in the beautiful LoS?

Unless someone can sensibly answer the above question in the negative, then count me in as one of the “many others”....please.
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2018 at 6:24 PM, giddyup said:

It will depend on what your income is whether you will get a full OAP or not. I only get $700 a month, which is still not to be sneezed at, but my super and bank interest cuts the pension.

True.  The full rate is absolutely worth it.  After that it is a decision - is it worth it for 2 years 'trouble'. 

But even $700 a month is about $170K (4 million baht). That will buy a house in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:04 PM, kevvy said:

who is going to live to 87 ????not me ...

You never know mate. With the drugs they have these days - living into the 80s is now average.

But even if only it for 10 years (til 77) that is $200K (5 million baht).

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 6:09 PM, totally thaied up said:

Nope, tell the truth

Agree with the statement - but it does depend on the person.

If the person is never going to return to Aust, and have no relatives/friends in Aust who know, then it is a decision they have to make (whether to tell CLink).

As I said - technically - you are not married if you live with a Thai person (village ceremony included).

You are technically married (under Aust Law) only if you do the Amphur wedding - because under Thai law that is a marriage - living together is not married under Thai law (no defacto).

So technically you are not married, and if those other points are valid (never returning. no relos froends who know), then why inform CLink and have pension reduced.

But as you say - if you return, or are Amphur married, or she will ever visit Aust with you - not recommended. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Agree with the statement - but it does depend on the person.

Your post is something everyone should read.

During two talks to Overseas Services in the last four years, I was asked if I was married.

If you cut all ties with Australia and plan on getting burnt at a local village, yep maybe you can get away with this. Its loose lips that sink ships and I know many a jealous farang.

I have now a Marriage Visa extension and for that alone, the money I dropped was worth it. I had run for seven years on the fumes of Education, Tourist and Volunteer Visas. It took me that prolonged amount of time to find the right one and I was not really looking I suppose. I had only another two years to go till I was 50, so getting married was a bit of a surprise.

Thinking about it, I wasted so much money on Airline flights, Visa Agents, Hotel Bookings and dangers of being in Mini-Vans for expanded hours taking huge risks with stressed-out drivers.

I am very sure after my last talk to Overseas Services last week, they know the deal here. They knew about Thai ID cards, the type of Visas they have here, etc . - They are no fools; I think if you were Amphur Married and had a bone to pick, they more then have the means to find out.

Yes, better safe than sorry. 

Like I said, your post #2544 should be mandatory reading. Good post ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

You never know mate. With the drugs they have these days - living into the 80s is now average.

But even if only it for 10 years (til 77) that is $200K (5 million baht).

for a single , wow that is good money, 

so you can live in australia free? you forgot to mention renting for 2 years , car , fuel , food , furniture , electric , gas, phone , internet and all the other expenses . I dont know your budget, but living here in Thailand my budget is 35000 baht a month. without other expenses that pop up unexpected. And dont forget holidays . so you think 5 million baht would last 10 years if your figure was right .

Edited by kevvy

13 hours ago, kevvy said:

for a single , wow that is good money, 

so you can live in australia free? you forgot to mention renting for 2 years , car , fuel , food , furniture , electric , gas, phone , internet and all the other expenses . I dont know your budget, but living here in Thailand my budget is 35000 baht a month. without other expenses that pop up unexpected. And dont forget holidays . so you think 5 million baht would last 10 years if your figure was right .

Single overseas pension rate is $21,481.20 PA.  Over 10 years that is $210,481 (plus CPI increases) = 5,262,025 Baht.

I assume you are living in Thailand and have for a while.  In that case, to get the Pension and be able to leave and still get paid the overseas rate, you have two options.

1.  Return to Aust at least 2 years before pension entitlement date. Stay for a few months after Pension received. Move back to Thailand.  (this is what I am doing now)

2.  Return to Thailand just before Pension entitlement date (or a year or two afterwards).  Stay for at least 2 years. Move back to Thailand.

In both cases you must always say (to CLink and anyone else too) that you are returning home to Australia and intend to live there for rest of your life.

It can be anywhere in Australia - dont go to Sydney/Melb as far too expensive - select a cheap country town (or somewhere you have a relo/mate).

Rent a cheap place - as cheap as possible - you aint staying long - 2 years will fly.

You need enough money to get there - and rent and food for 2 months - and some extra for basics/needs.

OPTION 1:

You will get Newstart after 4-6 weeks from application.

Apply immediately you have a place to rent/stay - you need at least a Lease (and as many other forms of ID you can get).

Newstart is $14K PA ($270 a week). So you would have to live on that for 2 years, or top it up with your savings.

OPTION 2:

You will get Pension paid 4-12 weeks after applying - it will be backdated to the date your application is accepted as a valid application(2-4 weeks)..

Apply immediately you have a place to rent/stay - you need at least a Lease , Licence, Bank Account, etc etc - you must prove you are staying in Aust.

Pension is $23K PA ($450 a week). So you would have to live on that for 2 years, or top it up with savings.

There are places, like a country hotel, where you can rent a room for about $100 a week.

Or you can find a small unit in a country town for around $150 a week.

Not great living, but the payoff is big.

Most wait til they can get the pension as $270 a week is not enough for them.

Up to you to decide if the trouble is worth it. 

I have decided that 10 million baht is definitely worth it (assuming I live to 87), but even if only 5 million, it is still worth it.

• Like 2