Australian Aged Pension

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you still receive a OAP? It would involve me going back to Oz to open a pension fund, and quite honestly I can't be bothered.

I have similar to you, you can do it online very simple.  Mine is with ANZ.  When you want to take more then your regular payment you have to ring and answer some secret questions that only you would know the answer, takes about 2 weeks to come through to your a/c.  When applying for a Thai retirement visa in Aus, providing your super surrender value is above the required Bt 800,000 the Thai Embassy in Canberra will accept this as money in a bank.  I have now put on this post more then 20 times that as long as you assets are no more then $456,750 and you do not own a house you live in you will get the full pension (super is an asset).  Your pension will stop as per calculations after you loose $3 for each $1000 over the threshold  P/F. (if you are $100,000 over the threshold you will lose $300 of the pension P/F.)  That would be about $750,000 of assets you pension would stop.  But now you will keep your medicare card, before this disappeared when you exceeded the threshold level....this is only a recent development 2017 budget I believe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Just turned 70, never applied for the OAP. Any small pension I may be eligible for is not worth the trouble. And, I don't have to deal with Clink at all!

With the right advisor you could probably do it all on the internet. I haven't had a face to face with my advisor for nearly a decade.

Sound like you near or just over the $750,000 approx asset threshold.  Way over the top if you do not apply? good luck...wish I had your money I could have 2 Thai wives.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have replaced my Medicare card twice since living in Thailand, by phone from Thailand both times. I have the new card sent to a mates address in Oz. I don't know what would happen if I rocked up to a hospital looking for medical treatment, would they knock me back or not? Hopefully will never have to put it to the test.

After 5 years...yes.  You medicare benefit stop the moment you leave Aus. until you return from day 1.

56 minutes ago, David Walden said:

After 5 years...yes.  You medicare benefit stop the moment you leave Aus. until you return from day 1.

Theoretically, but if I walk into a hospital and show a current Medicare card how would they know I've been away for more than 5 years?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Theoretically, but if I walk into a hospital and show a current Medicare card how would they know I've been away for more than 5 years?

If you have a current Medicare card, you have medicare coverage - end of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You will be out of the country, you will see no benefits until you return.  Your Medicare cover is only available whilst you are resident in Aus and so is Private health cover.  My Gov knows everything the moment you pass through customs.

I am presently in conflict with Medibank Private who I have been with for 30 years who are insisting that I continue paying my $250 p/m premium whilst they have suspended my cover for being out of the country.  Four month $1000 and the policy is suspended, no cover no thanks.  The issue is reported to the Health Insurance Ombudsman and the ACCC has taken an interest. Usually they suspend the the policy and the payments and preserve the benefits till I return but not now. This is Medibank Private, used be a Govt fund, it's a private business now and shareholders must get their dividends. If I don't pay the premium by the 11th of July my policy will lapse.  If and when it lapses the Ombudsman wants to know. What ever the outcome I'll be letting my private Aus medical cover lapse.  Two other private Medical Insurance companies have already offered to take over my cover without loss of benefits if it lapses.  Medibank Private over the last 30 years have made a profit of about $40,000 from me, only used for some minor procedures .  Whats the point of having it, they are just greedy.

If you travel overseas from Aus you lose your benefits under Medicare the moment you pass through Customs (automatic)  My Gov. knows everything and your private health care is suspended (not all companies do this but Medibank Private does for me).  At my age even though I'm in fairly good health I cannot get travel Insurance...time to drop it all and self insure take a chance seems to be the only way...If I get sick all I have to do is get back to Aus perhaps 1st class or maybe with one of those little Thai Girl Carers to look after me?   Medicare cover is instantly reinstated if and when I arrive back in Aus. but not after being absent for more then 5 years.

Edited by David Walden

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

Sound like you near or just over the $750,000 approx asset threshold.  Way over the top if you do not apply? good luck...wish I had your money I could have 2 Thai wives.

And get your dick cut off by either. 

30 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

If you have a current Medicare card, you have medicare coverage - end of.

That's because they use an address in Auss & it is sent there 

If you tick that box when leaving Auss "never to return " that's when you have trouble 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Others have said a few things bout your post Loslobo, I think you should be careful that you don't misquote as you have above, the ASSET threshold for a single bloke going on the old age pension is $456,750 if he doesn't own a house.

I believe what you are talking about is WORKING threshold, two totally separate things, maybe you will learn a thing or two here, as we all have, but careful when quoting to back it up with the correct website, as I have done below for your perusal. 

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/assets/30621#assetstestlimits

Full pension

From 20 March  2018, pensions reduce when your assets are more than the amounts below.

If you're Homeowner Non-homeowner

Single

$253,750

$456,750

A couple, combined

$380,500

$583,500

A couple, separated due to illness, combined

$380,500

$583,500

A couple, 1 partner eligible, combined

$380,500

$583,500

Can you be specific about the part of my post where I have misquoted.

I am not talking about a "working threshold" maybe you can explain to me what a "working threshold" is and back it up with the correct website.

With respect, I don't think you or David understand the concept of how financial assets are now being deemed to produce income or that the OAP paid is based on the least benefit from both the income and asset tests.

12 hours ago, David Walden said:

You will be out of the country, you will see no benefits until you return.  Your Medicare cover is only available whilst you are resident in Aus and so is Private health cover.  My Gov knows everything the moment you pass through customs.

I am presently in conflict with Medibank Private who I have been with for 30 years who are insisting that I continue paying my $250 p/m premium whilst they have suspended my cover for being out of the country.  Four month $1000 and the policy is suspended, no cover no thanks.  The issue is reported to the Health Insurance Ombudsman and the ACCC has taken an interest. Usually they suspend the the policy and the payments and preserve the benefits till I return but not now. This is Medibank Private, used be a Govt fund, it's a private business now and shareholders must get their dividends. If I don't pay the premium by the 11th of July my policy will lapse.  If and when it lapses the Ombudsman wants to know. What ever the outcome I'll be letting my private Aus medical cover lapse.  Two other private Medical Insurance companies have already offered to take over my cover without loss of benefits if it lapses.  Medibank Private over the last 30 years have made a profit of about $40,000 from me, only used for some minor procedures .  Whats the point of having it, they are just greedy.

If you travel overseas from Aus you lose your benefits under Medicare the moment you pass through Customs (automatic)  My Gov. knows everything and your private health care is suspended (not all companies do this but Medibank Private does for me).  At my age even though I'm in fairly good health I cannot get travel Insurance...time to drop it all and self insure take a chance seems to be the only way...If I get sick all I have to do is get back to Aus perhaps 1st class or maybe with one of those little Thai Girl Carers to look after me?   Medicare cover is instantly reinstated if and when I arrive back in Aus. but not after being absent for more then 5 years.

I will agree that if you are out of the country for more than 5 years at a time, i.e. not have returned for more than 5 years, Medicare says they will cancel you.

Some have said they have renewed their cards over the phone and online, but have been out of the country for more than 5 years, if Medicare has provided them with new cards, they have a further 5 years, is the way I see it, you see Medicare is not linked up to border control/immigration yet from my understanding, so they have no idea where you are, however if your new card gets sent to your last address and you moved overseas, and for example it was a rental property or you sold the place you lived in and someone wrote the words from one of Elvis's songs on it "return to sender, address unknown" you would more than likely be cancelled, well that's my theory on it.

As for private health cover in Australia, it is only for Australian residents, so I am assuming you have still retained your residency? As for self insuring, that is what I have been doing for the past 2.5 years, however have applied for private health cover with a company and am just waiting on the underwriter to clarify that they are insuring me for a pre-existing condition before I move forward, if its not age that stops you, its pre-existing coverage 555

I don't know about MyGov knowing everything about you, certain department that you can link to your MyGov account would, i.e. those that are linked to border control/immigration, Like CentreLink, as for the other, their not too far behind, and eventually Medicare will be linked to border control/immigration and renewing our Medicare cards while overseas for more than 5 years will be a thing of the past as the new system will flag us down IMO :1zgarz5:

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 hours ago, BEVUP said:

That's because they use an address in Auss & it is sent there 

If you tick that box when leaving Auss "never to return " that's when you have trouble 

Interesting, I can't remember what I ticked, but am sure it was NEVER, but recently renewed my card

On 4/27/2018 at 6:42 AM, LosLobo said:

Related image

Actually its called legislation, you just have to read up on it, and look at and read cases of appeals, also sections that might apply to your circumstances, work around the legislation to try and find a way, if not an example might be if your married, out of the country for a while and face up to the fact that you are more than likely a non resident so you would have to return and do the 2 years.

So being married means your OAP is going to get cut, you might consider getting a divorce and then get your single pension which I believe is more than the reduced married pension, now getting divorced is legal, problem solved ? 

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Can you be specific about the part of my post where I have misquoted.

I am not talking about a "working threshold" maybe you can explain to me what a "working threshold" is and back it up with the correct website.

With respect, I don't think you or David understand the concept of how financial assets are now being deemed to produce income or that the OAP paid is based on the least benefit from both the income and asset tests.

After having spent considerable time reading many many articles, and the legislation, I will tell you what, I will leave it to you to explain to the majority of us here who know that the single pension asset threshold for a non-home owner is $456,750, as I posted previously, now if those assets are earning an income, they might bite into the amount of pension you receive, that said we are all waiting for you to now explain to us how it is reduced to the figure you stated in your previous post, I believe it was somewhere in the $150,000 range ?

I am not going to argue with you that your wrong, that's cut and dry, but am willing to allow you to prove what I have said above is wrong, otherwise its a :1zgarz5: for you 555 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

Can you ever answer a question simply instead of going on this tirade about your own personal problems that have absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

Giddyup please note D W favourite quote is why let the truth get in the way of a good Story and Yes I know D W for many years

Edited by Ban Phe Dezza
spelling error

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Can you ever answer a question simply instead of going on this tirade about your own personal problems that have absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

I only write post that based on my own personal experience. I am offering this information to those  who would make good use of it for their own benefit.  Much of it is for genuine enquirers and it is sometimes complex.  They can either use it or ignore at their peril. 

Your question implies that if you are overseas you can get medical cover from Medicare.  That is the Australian Gov. free medical care, your claim is completely, and utterly untrue.  When you pass through customs to leave Aus, Medicare is advised in 1/100 of a second that you have left the country.  You have no cover until you return.  It is suspended.  When you come back they will also know in 1/100 of a second.  If your a refugee that's better.

If you need to return to Aus for medical problems that have occurred overseas all costs of repatriation must be paid by you.  Once back in Aus and your a/c is still current (less then 5 years is said?) and your Medicare a/c is still in tact you will be fixed up.

So what was your question Mr Giggyup...there is lot of BS on this site from people who know nothing about Centrelink requirements or ATO in regard to THE AUSTRALIAN AGED PENSION.    Not DSP,  Job start,  child support, child minding benefits and another 100 thing, just The aged pension + the supplement and yes the asset threshold bit.  The mind boggles...I have had extensive experience in this field and would just like to pass it on to help others, some of my comments maybe slightly out of date, benefits may have change since I was granted the aged pension...lots of rubbish here.  Giddyup join the club.

I don't have any problems what so ever. or should I say "MY PROBLEMS ARE"... I own a house (part) in Aus, get the full single pension, have a nice top up Super payment each month. Go to and fro to Thailand when I like. Have a great social life, have a big stick to keep the ladies away 555 (in Thailand only).  Unfortunately Aus is a bit boring for old buggers like me.  Thailand is about as much fun as I can take.  Someone has to do it.        

Where I stay in Thailand there are hundreds of old buggers like me enjoying their latter year with lots of fun and BS.  I look out over Cham-am Beach from my 13th story $350 p/m room Air cond, little kitchen etc, each morning. Don't tell anyone how good thing are for farangs, don't want an extra thousand retirees in Cha-am watering down all our fun.   Sometimes I just have to stay home to rest in between social engagements, just to much.  The good thing is my health is quite good (not all like that in Thailand).  

THEY SAY A GOOD EDUCATION IS WHEN YOU LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLE MISTAKES.  VERY USEFUL ADVICE ON THE BATTLEFIELD...555.  Trying to find your way for a novice to live in Thailand there are lots of hurdles and mistake to get over, I've made them all and came through, sometimes at great frustration and expense, perhaps others can learn from this.  I hope my information helps those people who are genuine about making the transition of Aus to Thailand...if you don't like my posts don't read them. 

Is this story short enough for you Mr Giddyup?

6 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Airport departure forms no longer exist. 

Thats right, but mainly because they have worked out were to get the same data from, airline ticketing etc. Its probably a better system for expats/pensioners, as you have not actually signed a declaration saying you are never coming back.

I imagine in the past if you ticked the "never coming back" box, a copy got sent to centerlink etc.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

After having spent considerable time reading many many articles, and the legislation, I will tell you what, I will leave it to you to explain to the majority of us here who know that the single pension asset threshold for a non-home owner is $456,750, as I posted previously, now if those assets are earning an income, they might bite into the amount of pension you receive, that said we are all waiting for you to now explain to us how it is reduced to the figure you stated in your previous post, I believe it was somewhere in the $150,000 range ?

I am not going to argue with you that your wrong, that's cut and dry, but am willing to allow you to prove what I have said above is wrong, otherwise its a :1zgarz5: for you 555 

Would you believe Centrelink is not interested in the dividends you receive on any investment, well sort of, your pension is assed on the value of your asset only. If Centrelink did its assessment on profit and loss calculations they would have to have thousands of accountants to vet this, they can get tax figure anyhow if they need to.  You can put in a risky investment that pays 100% dividend.  If the dividend raises the value of your assets well Centrelink will want to be told and an adjustment will be made.  But!!! the tax man will be lurking, he'll be in for his share of profits if your income is over the tax threshold $31,000 something...he don't care.  If you put your 100% dividend investment into Super the ATO will take 15% in tax from the profits from the fund managers before you know. First you see it then you don't, like the 3 card trick. And for a 100 years they said super would never be taxed..but they lied.

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Interesting, I can't remember what I ticked, but am sure it was NEVER, but recently renewed my card

Unless you advise Centrelink of a definite date you are returning to Aus you will be deemed a having left Aus permanently.  From the day you depart your pension supplement will be stopped instead of the usual 6 weeks grace that returning holiday makers get.  This will cost you about $180.00.  On the Centrelink site where this information is required if you leave the date of return blank they will assume your not coming back, until you do?

..now it might well be that I transfer some funds to the Mrs a few years before hand so that I am under the $456,750 no house threshold..

Be careful transferring funds (gifting) to qualify for OAP threshold eligibility as I understand Centrelink will look back at your last 5 years to check for any gifting.

I’m advised that the only “safe” way to get under the threshold in those final five years is to spend, spend, spend!

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

I only write post that based on my own personal experience. I am offering this information to those  who would make good use of it for their own benefit.  Much of it is for genuine enquirers and it is sometimes complex.  They can either use it or ignore at their peril. 

Your question implies that if you are overseas you can get medical cover from Medicare.  That is the Australian Gov. free medical care, your claim is completely, and utterly untrue.  When you pass through customs to leave Aus, Medicare is advised in 1/100 of a second that you have left the country.  You have no cover until you return.  It is suspended.  When you come back they will also know in 1/100 of a second.  If your a refugee that's better.

If you need to return to Aus for medical problems that have occurred overseas all costs of repatriation must be paid by you.  Once back in Aus and your a/c is still current (less then 5 years is said?) and your Medicare a/c is still in tact you will be fixed up.

Once again you go on this useless tirade. I never said that I could get medical treatment from Medicare when I am overseas, I asked if I would be covered if I returned to Australia as my Medicare card is still current and they issue me with a new one when it expires. Perhaps read what people say or the questions they ask instead of ranting about your own situation ad nauseum. Try and make your responses brief, because quite honestly you are becoming a bore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

So what was your question Mr Giggyup...there is lot of BS on this site from people who know nothing about Centrelink requirements or ATO in regard to THE AUSTRALIAN AGED PENSION.    Not DSP,  Job start,  child support, child minding benefits and another 100 thing, just The aged pension + the supplement and yes the asset threshold bit.  The mind boggles...I have had extensive experience in this field and would just like to pass it on to help others, some of my comments maybe slightly out of date, benefits may have change since I was granted the aged pension...lots of rubbish here.  Giddyup join the club.

I don't have any problems what so ever. or should I say "MY PROBLEMS ARE"... I own a house (part) in Aus, get the full single pension, have a nice top up Super payment each month. Go to and fro to Thailand when I like. Have a great social life, have a big stick to keep the ladies away 555 (in Thailand only).  Unfortunately Aus is a bit boring for old buggers like me.  Thailand is about as much fun as I can take.  Someone has to do it.        

Where I stay in Thailand there are hundreds of old buggers like me enjoying their latter year with lots of fun and BS.  I look out over Cham-am Beach from my 13th story $350 p/m room Air cond, little kitchen etc, each morning. Don't tell anyone how good thing are for farangs, don't want an extra thousand retirees in Cha-am watering down all our fun.   Sometimes I just have to stay home to rest in between social engagements, just to much.  The good thing is my health is quite good (not all like that in Thailand).  

THEY SAY A GOOD EDUCATION IS WHEN YOU LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLE MISTAKES.  VERY USEFUL ADVICE ON THE BATTLEFIELD...555.  Trying to find your way for a novice to live in Thailand there are lots of hurdles and mistake to get over, I've made them all and came through, sometimes at great frustration and expense, perhaps others can learn from this.  I hope my information helps those people who are genuine about making the transition of Aus to Thailand...if you don't like my posts don't read them. 

Is this story short enough for you Mr Giddyup?

As usual, there's so much incorrect information in this post, I don't know where to start.

And TBH, it's not worth it because it will just generate another Leo Tolstoy length response.

• Like 2