More Asistants Then Customers But No Assistants

phukethovercraft

I went shopping in big C today . Chose some cakes put them in a bag went to get them priced up, no assistant, waited, waited, Come back in a minute, waited, waited, sod it picked some cakes with a barcode on them.

Went to buy a crash helmet, Shelves nearly empty, my wife talked to the assisted who said that they had put an order in a long time ago and are still waiting to restock the shelves. Okay no crash helmets & the cakes that I never picked in the first place.

Picked up some beach shoes great only 79 Baht. Went to get a football for kicking around on the beach, great only 199 Baht. Brought a few more items and went to the checkouts. Only two checkouts available waited, waited, waited, great my turn. Beach shoes no bar code sorry, okay put back. Beach ball, sorry cannot read barcode okay put back.

So I went shopping for things I really wanted the most and never go them. Great Shop, more staff standing around talking then working. You would think that the checkout would have a bell of some kind that when a customer has no barcode they would ring the bell and a assistant would go get it for you.

Today more assistants then customers, but "no assistants" So went to beach without beach shoes on a motorbike without a crash helmet and no football to kick around, eating cakes that I never really liked in the first place Goodbye Big C, Hello Tesco.

post-55332-1199980766.gif

I went shopping in big C today . Chose some cakes put them in a bag went to get them priced up, no assistant, waited, waited, Come back in a minute, waited, waited, sod it picked some cakes with a barcode on them.

Went to buy a crash helmet, Shelves nearly empty, my wife talked to the assisted who said that they had put an order in a long time ago and are still waiting to restock the shelves. Okay no crash helmets & the cakes that I never picked in the first place.

Picked up some beach shoes great only 79 Baht. Went to get a football for kicking around on the beach, great only 199 Baht. Brought a few more items and went to the checkouts. Only two checkouts available waited, waited, waited, great my turn. Beach shoes no bar code sorry, okay put back. Beach ball, sorry cannot read barcode okay put back.

So I went shopping for things I really wanted the most and never go them. Great Shop, more staff standing around talking then working. You would think that the checkout would have a bell of some kind that when a customer has no barcode they would ring the bell and a assistant would go get it for you.

Today more assistants then customers, but "no assistants" So went to beach without beach shoes on a motorbike without a crash helmet and no football to kick around, eating cakes that I never really liked in the first place Goodbye Big C, Hello Tesco.

Ahhh well :o I understand Big C is Thai owned, there you go to Tesco good old Great Britain :D

Ahhh well :o I understand Big C is Thai owned, there you go to Tesco good old Great Britain :D

Sounds like shopping heaven to be able to walk around a shop and not be harrassed by a shop assistant after more than 2 seconds of walking in the door. Browsing is just not understood here or I know what I want thanks I'll find it myself!

Seriously though most of the things you mentioned are surely available within 10 metres walking distance of just about anywhere in phuket aren't they?

I presume you mean, "No assistance".

Can anyone tell me the point of giving every car that enter's Big C and Tesco ( and other places too) a silly card, and then upon leaving handing it back?? What does it achive? Once or twice I have lost the thing and when I get to the exit I just tell the security guy 'I dont have card' and they never say anything.. just let me pass. Stil I expect it keeps someone employed I suppose, handing out cards that serve no purpose!

I don't really find Tesco to be much better than Big C, and to go further, the south Tesco in Pattaya seems downright unfriendly toward farang (Don't know about the north store -- I never go there.).

As far as the items being put aside at the checkout because of missing or unreadable bar codes, I used to go along with the cashiers' apathetic display of laziness and say to myself, "Mai pen rai -- TIT". But now I just make it clear (in Thai) that I want to buy the item(s) and stand my ground until they call somebody over and get the pricing sorted out. Honestly, I don't do it in an arrogant or challenging manner but instead as pleasantly as possible, and it usually works. Of course, there's the odd cashier who will suddenly become deaf and just ignores my request, but most times it works.

I tend to do most of my shopping at Carrefour, although the Pattaya store has been going downhill for a long time -- much higher prices for some things and fewer items in general (For example, Carrefour and Tesco are both charging 164 baht for a 250 gram pack of Mainland Vintage Cheddar (the rare time it's available at Carrefour) but if one goes to Friendship, they can regularly find it there for only 130 baht.)

I finally got around to checking out the new Villa in Pattaya, but none of their overpriced items tempted me. I was also surprised at how small the store was.

Edited by pattyboy

Can anyone tell me the point of giving every car that enter's Big C and Tesco ( and other places too) a silly card, and then upon leaving handing it back??

In theory, if you do not produce the card you did not arrive with the vehicle. You might be a thief stealing the car while the driver / owner of the car is still inside the store with the parking pass in their purse or pocket. They should stop you and make you prove ownership of the vehicle.

But in reality, for 5000 Bt per month or whatever they get, I'm sure that they can't be arsed. Ever more so when the driver is a farang who they can't communicate with!

Can anyone tell me the point of giving every car that enter's Big C and Tesco ( and other places too) a silly card, and then upon leaving handing it back??

In theory, if you do not produce the card you did not arrive with the vehicle. You might be a thief stealing the car while the driver / owner of the car is still inside the store with the parking pass in their purse or pocket. They should stop you and make you prove ownership of the vehicle.

But in reality, for 5000 Bt per month or whatever they get, I'm sure that they can't be arsed. Ever more so when the driver is a farang who they can't communicate with!

They fine you if you don't have the card in many places. So its not really an anti-theft system as you can steal the car as long as you pay the 400 Baht on the way out.

Even that's not very effective as one time I lost my card, got to the gate and told him I didn't have the card. He happily said I had to pay the fine. I just smiled and said, "I don't pay." He pointed at the sign saying the penalty and again said I pay. I smiled again and said I don't pay. He was starting to look confused and tried again telling me that I "lose card. Have to pay."

I just smiled, shook my head and said, "No have to pay"

He looked through the car at my Thai GF but she's just as capable as playing deaf and blind as the shop assistants.

He then opened the gate and waved me out.

I felt bad later wondering whether the mismatch in ticket numbers might affect his salary, but I reckoned if it had he would have fought harder to get the fine.

They fine you if you don't have the card in many places. So its not really an anti-theft system as you can steal the car as long as you pay the 400 Baht on the way out.

Even that's not very effective as one time I lost my card, got to the gate and told him I didn't have the card. He happily said I had to pay the fine. I just smiled and said, "I don't pay." He pointed at the sign saying the penalty and again said I pay. I smiled again and said I don't pay. He was starting to look confused and tried again telling me that I "lose card. Have to pay."

He looked through the car at my Thai GF but she's just as capable as playing deaf and blind as the shop assistants.

I felt bad later wondering whether the mismatch in ticket numbers might affect his salary, but I reckoned if it had he would have fought harder to get the fine.

But if the sign said 400 baht penalty, why didn't you pay?

It was a supermarket car park. I'd just spent a few thousand Baht in there and didn't feel like paying a scam BS fine. I didn't think I had to pay and the security guard agreed with me :o

It was a supermarket car park. I'd just spent a few thousand Baht in there and didn't feel like paying a scam BS fine. I didn't think I had to pay and the security guard agreed with me :o

Don't follow your logic, if the sign was clear, but ok.