Finally Quit For Good.

Jockstar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow will be the 3rd of March(my birthday). 2 months since i quit to the day.

Got pretty pissed yesterday. But still no ciggies.

I succumbed to a few cigies at the weekend :D , I think it was more in retaliation to pious prats that have been complete tools on the smoking in entertaiunment venues thread, which made me want to stick two fingers up at them for the weekend :D . Lighter and pack now disgarded so will have to start from scratch again. :o

• 4 weeks later...

I finally ran out of excuses not to give u smoking. I am nearly 55 now and started smoking when I was 17. In the past I have tried nicotine patches (gave me bizarre colourful dreams) and nicotine gum (gave me a very upset stomach). Six months ago I tried Zyban (for the sedcond time) - it was starting to work as it should - but I lacked the will-power to follow through.

I had my second heart attack at the same time - so I stopped smoking for the 3 days I was in hospital. Started again when I came out.

Two weeks ago, I started a course of Champix. That seems to have done the trick. I have been smoke-free for a week now. I put it down to more willpower, the Champix, lots of sugar-free chewing gum and support from significant other - apart from my parents, he is the anti-smoking force in my life.

Cigarettes are incredibly hard to give up. This time, I think I have done it!

Peter

The first few weeks are the worst. It does get easier. Keep it up mate.

<deleted>, I've totally fallen off the rails, I'll leave it until after Songkran again now, as thats almost New Year. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, and very glad to hear it :o

My dad smoked 4 packs a day, quit when he was 50. And never smoked again. So, if he can do it, you can too. (he's now 72, and no, not dead :D )

Well done, and very glad to hear it :o

My dad smoked 4 packs a day, quit when he was 50. And never smoked again. So, if he can do it, you can too. (he's now 72, and no, not dead :D )

I can't remember when I quit - must be a year and a half or so - can anyone remember? :D I must say I have been gasping for one recently when travelling - seems to be the hardest time for me.

I can't remember when I quit - must be a year and a half or so - can anyone remember? :o I must say I have been gasping for one recently when travelling - seems to be the hardest time for me.

Have the exact same problem, I started smoking at 13 and quit aged 20, im now 33 and last time i was in LOS was smoking them menthol cigarettes like a trooper.

I think once you were addicted the craving will always reappear from time to time.

Still off the fags , that's over 3 months.

Now I'm off the beer as well though come 5.30pm today and a few mates calling and arranging meetings in pubs we'll see how strong my willpower is.

If I can go 1 month off the booze I will consider it a major achievement.

Cheers

If I can go 1 month off the booze I will consider it a major achievement.

I like my beer though. Dont think i could go a month. A week? Maybe. But a month. BTW congrats on not having a puff. Jockstar , still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Completed 4 years off the weed last week. That was after 30 years of smoking.

I don't think about it now which (I think) proves what my hypnotherapist said - "Smoking is a habit, not an addiction, change/break the habit and you can stop smoking"

Feel loads better and what I used to spend on fags now pays for the G/F :o

I don't think about it now which (I think) proves what my hypnotherapist said - "Smoking is a habit, not an addiction, change/break the habit and you can stop smoking"

Nicotine is the tobacco plant's natural protection from being eaten by insects. It is a super toxin that, drop for drop, is more lethal than strychnine or diamondback rattlesnake venom, and three times deadlier than arsenic. Yet, amazingly, by chance, this natural insecticide's chemical structure is so similar to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine that once inside the brain it fits a host of chemical locks permitting it direct and indirect control over the flow of more than 200 neurochemicals.

Within eight seconds of that first-ever inhaled puff, through dizzy, coughing and six shades of green, nicotine arrived at the brain's reward pathways where it generated an unearned flood of dopamine, resulting in an immediate yet possibly unrecognized "aaahhh" reward sensation. Sensing it would cause most first-time inhalers to soon return to steal more. Nicotine also fit the adrenaline locks releasing a host of fight or flight neurochemicals and select serotonin locks impacting mood.

Does this sound like the start of a habit or the start of an addiction?

2003 Internet Ad

"Philip Morris USA agrees with the overwhelming medical and scientific

consensus that cigarette smoking is addictive."

Source: www.whyquit.com

Nicotine is the tobacco plant's natural protection from being eaten by insects. It is a super toxin that, drop for drop, is more lethal than strychnine or diamondback rattlesnake venom, and three times deadlier than arsenic. Yet, amazingly, by chance, this natural insecticide's chemical structure is so similar to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine that once inside the brain it fits a host of chemical locks permitting it direct and indirect control over the flow of more than 200 neurochemicals.

Within eight seconds of that first-ever inhaled puff, through dizzy, coughing and six shades of green, nicotine arrived at the brain's reward pathways where it generated an unearned flood of dopamine, resulting in an immediate yet possibly unrecognized "aaahhh" reward sensation. Sensing it would cause most first-time inhalers to soon return to steal more. Nicotine also fit the adrenaline locks releasing a host of fight or flight neurochemicals and select serotonin locks impacting mood.

Does this sound like the start of a habit or the start of an addiction?

2003 Internet Ad

"Philip Morris USA agrees with the overwhelming medical and scientific

consensus that cigarette smoking is addictive."

Source: www.whyquit.com

Hmmmmm. Maybe my hypnotherapist lied.

Worked for me though. :D

its 5 days already and I feel I want to break something,anything!! I'm nervous mak mak..

I use nicotine gums but only when my body screams he needs nicotine (2 per day so far..but again,when the body CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE..or so I feel anyway..hehe :o )

but its f***ing HARD !!!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! H E L P

its 5 days already and I feel I want to break something,anything!! I'm nervous mak mak..

I use nicotine gums but only when my body screams he needs nicotine (2 per day so far..but again,when the body CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE..or so I feel anyway..hehe :o )

but its f***ing HARD !!!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! H E L P

Actually once you had achieved the first 72 hours you had broken the devils back. Much of the nervousness you are now feeling is self induced.

Can you think of something to focus on that would help you to relax? A good book for example, anything? Just reminding yourself that you no longer smoke and drinking lots of water can be a big help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done mate......hope to be stopped myself by the time you reach CM......but I just got back from Burma with 2,000 duty free's at 44 baht a packet......I brought some patches when I was in the UK a month or so ago.

I have not started them yet obviously, but when these have gone them I'm definatley done with them.

I'm smoking 40 a bloody day....more when I see my position in the football compo !!!!!!