Blacklisted For 100 Years!

The computer systems match based on the information on the machine-readable section on the bottom of your photo page on your passport.
Precisely.. My secondary passport(s) are machine readable blanks.
Whether it keeps your identity following a name change, I'm not sure
As of early 90's no they do not.
However, for an embassy to issue anything other than a temporary passport, you need to be living in the country where you apply
Not correct for British passports. Brits will issue a full 10 year passport from any embassy, if you can provide a need to travel it is usually done in a day and I have had them within 20 mins by being confident and polite with the highest consular staff you are able to reach.

So just to sum up a 20 GBP deed poll change that takes a couple of days provides both a new name and new machine readable section (if done in an embassy that can provide one) or a new blank machine readable section and new name. Either way good to go for the above issue.

get a second nationality
Much easier than it sounds, I hold a second nationality and only missed out on grandfather rules for an Aussie one by a matter of months.

Couple a second nationality with a name change and it is trivial to hold one nationality with one name and a second nationality with a second name.

Do not ever travel through an airport holding passports in more than one name. This is a sure trip to the sin bin and a lot of explaining to do. DHL is your tool for this.

With reference to the 2 posts directly above.

Exactly. where did the original poster mention the US embassy. Not all emabassies follow the same rules.

Yes as regards US passports they are no longer issued by the embassy in Bangkok but all applications are sent to the US for processing. They will however attach aditional pages to an existing passport locally

The UK for instance however until at least fairly recently was still issuing passports out of the embassy here in Bangkok. The passports being NON machine readable.

This could well have changed recently but I am not aware of that. By the by it is not pssible to have additional pages attached to a UK passport. A new passport must be applied for

[
However, for an embassy to issue anything other than a temporary passport, you need to be living in the country where you apply
Not correct for British passports. Brits will issue a full 10 year passport from any embassy, if you can provide a need to travel it is usually done in a day and I have had them within 20 mins by being confident and polite with the highest consular staff you are able to reach.

For what it is worth I concur with this statement

Exactly. where did the original poster mention the US embassy. Not all emabassies follow the same rules.

As one of the two posters directly above you I said:

He did not say US Embassy so suspect it was elsewhere.

My daughter's passport, issued at the embassy in Bangkok, is blank in the machine readable section.

i was wondering when this passport was issued. my daughter's US passport from jan. 2003 is machine readable. even though the application is filed at the bkk US embassy, all new passports are made in the US and sent back to bkk.

UK Embassy, not US embassy, and it was issued in the middle of 2002.

[

OK - I'll take your word for it. (Never needed a replacement, and the people I've seen with temporary's were always going back to the UK - so if you were going somewhere else, I suppose you'd need a full passport.)

The only acceptsable advise I saw in this thread, try to get off the list, take a lawyer and do it the legal way.

Name change does sound a bit dodgy to me, my own government would only accept to do it, if you can prove your present name give you hardship. E.g. your name by birth is Fugger and you prove that it sounds rather bad, when pronounced in English.

Another way, get married and take the name of your spouse. It is now allowed for either, man or wife. But the passport will have a remark, nee: (or birthname)

most includig the U.K and the USA and longer.

The UK does NOT blacklist people for 100 years. An individual refused leave to enter the UK or removed as an illegal entrant can come back the next day if he wishes. They may be refused again but they are not blacklisted. A deportation order, which is not the same as being refused leave to enter, remains outstanding for 10 years and within this time you can petition the Home Secretary to have it revoked.

Scouse.

As far as I am aware the U.K. Immigration and Nationality Act does not have a time limit of 10 years for cases of deportation because of criminal offences. There are different rules for the family of deportees but as I understand the current act states “long term of years”.

[

OK - I'll take your word for it. (Never needed a replacement, and the people I've seen with temporary's were always going back to the UK - so if you were going somewhere else, I suppose you'd need a full passport.)

Not true according to my information.

I have seen repalcement UK passports issued, which looked exactly as new ones admitedlly with a life of only 1 year, to UK citizens non resident in the UK requesting the passport in a 3rd country and leaving same day for a 4th.

But who knows? I would alwasy suggest to keep it as simple as possible

As one of the two posters directly above you I said:

Lopburi,

My apologies. My post was badly worded.

By saying "exactly" I was trying to state that I was in agreement with your post

Lopburi,

By saying "exactly" I was trying to state that I was in agreement with your post

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. Even when we read a post several times we can still 'not get it right'. Good reason for us all to increase the 'count to ten' drill to a much higher number in a forum like this. :o

Lopburi,

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. Even when we read a post several times we can still 'not get it right'. Good reason for us all to increase the 'count to ten' drill to a much higher number in a forum like this. :o

That counting exercise takes patience Lop. :D

i agree...being blacklisted is stupid for what i was conastantly told, "is not a big case...nothing to do with drugs or murder just a problem with the visa..." the british embassy had originally told me that there were hundreds of foreigners with the same case as mine and the most anyone got blacklisted for was 2 years. like i said before...my friend who worked immigration with uni over the pst june/july told me she checked the computers and found my name blacklusted for 5 years so why when i arrived has it suddenly gone up to 100 years unless someone changed in in hope they might get apay off to reduce it again? when i was at the immigration desk at the immigration even the officers there couldnt understand why i was blacklisted for so long...i had my court papers to show them and they still didnt unerstand! its all confusing for me as there seems to be no 'set' rules?

lawyers have been in touch with me and have got all my case details in hope to make a successful appeal to have my name removed from the list. this looks like the best option to me if it works.

in answer to some peoples questions: yes, i did have a three-month tourist visa that was issued by the thai embassy in london. i had previously phoned and emailed to ask if i was blacklisted or not and they told me that if i got the visa then it meant i wasn't! obviously if they hadnt have given me the visa i wouldnt have wasted all that money getting over there just to be sent back!

my new passport was issued in the UK. im not really in the know about how all the scanning parts of the passport work but my passpor has a barcode on the bottom that they ran through the computer swipe part!

i dont understand what is going on. ever since i was arrested i was told a billion different stories by several different people as to what was going on...what would happen. the british embassy were even running around in circlesto try and get me answers for my questions. the whole immigration system in thailand is laughable and as for human rights...do they even know what that means?!

I am of the opinion that your situation underlines very graphically why one should follow the rules as set down by the government or at least think very carefully about doing so, understanding the possible consequences of not .

There are so many posts on this board stating that "do not worry about this rule and that rule"

The Sado visa/entry stamps

working without WP

overstays

90 day reporting

are just a few topics that spring to mind

All too often there are posts saying that it does not matter should you not follow the rules.

Then you get someone like this who might have knowingly or unknowingly tried to circumvent the system. I do not know the facts and am not attempting to pass any judgement

my point his his life could be badly affected. What would he do if he was married to this lady and had several kids? What if he had nowhere to go?

The situation could have been avoided.

When things do go pear shaped over here all too often we expect the situation to be cleared up as if in the West - not always when in the west we woyuld not have placed ourselves in the same situation. Why take the risk?

I am of the opinion that your situation underlines very graphically why one should follow the rules as set down by the government or at least think very carefully about doing so, understanding the possible consequences of not .

There are so many posts on this board stating that "do not worry about this rule and that rule"

The Sado visa/entry stamps

working without WP

overstays

90 day reporting

are just a few topics that spring to mind

All too often there are posts saying that it does not matter should you not follow the rules.

Then you get someone like this who might have knowingly or unknowingly tried to circumvent the system. I do not know the facts and am not attempting to pass any judgement

my point his his life could be badly affected. What would he do if he was married to this lady and had several kids? What if he had nowhere to go?

The situation could have been avoided.

When things do go pear shaped over here all too often we expect the situation to be cleared up as if in the West - not always when in the west we woyuld not have placed ourselves in the same situation. Why take the risk?

i agree and disagree with what you are saying. anybody who has been livivng in thailand for at least the past five years will know that even just two years ago it was perfectly acceptable to go to a travel agency in any touristy location in thailand and renew your visa. nobody would have any problem with these visas leaving the country. you get 18 yr-old backpackers, fresh from high school...first time away from home coming to thailand and seeing those signs up everywhere..."renew your visa here...thai visas here". how are these people to know that these are not legit. as they would be from a western travel agency.

i was the same. i was young when i first came to thailand and when asked other travellers on kpn where is the best border to cross to renew the visa, i was told, "do it at a travel agency...thats where everybody does it." ok...for those who are well up on their legal position everywhere and laws etc would know not to give your passport to anyone else but i had given my passport at a travel agency in hong kong to get a visa for vietnam and this visa was legal as i later had it checked out by the embassy after i got the problem with the thai visa. how is someone to know those visas from the travel agencies were not all real?

it was only when that man who was caught in thailand with explosives not long after the bali bombing that the crack-down on visa runs started as this man had a fake visa apparently.

when i was in the IDC there was a woman who had been arrested at the border between thailand/cambodia. she had crossed the border there, come back to thailand and on her way back into cambodia for the 2nd time a few weeks later was arrested because the original entry thai stamp given by the immigration at the border was fake. it wasnt actually fake but was out of date and so she was arrested. she got through court and was waiting to get the money to buy a ticket so she could go home! when the country is so unstable in this way how is anybody to know whats what and at the least what is real and what is not? thailand is renowned for being the fake capital of the world.

i am not into taking short cuts or skipping corners. if i'd had the time i would have crossed the border and not renewed it at a shop but i was wanting to travel with friends and was told i could come and pick my passport up three days later like everyone else i've ever met while in thailand.