Coffee World

PadThaiGuy

Coffee in Thailand .

This is a sore subject for me.

You can get a wondurfull thai dish cooked and served for 25-35 baht in the area where I live.

But next door a cup of coffee that you get 2 sips out of 30-40 baht. Coffee is not that expensive and you do not need a european 100,000 baht expresso machine either.

I am baffled.

I know labor----- baffled again.

Ok back to your question about cream

Here is my best explanation "you ordered coffee you rich Farang "

you opened up your wallet now just let them in or be called names.

Simple.

I have resigned to the fact that I will drink coffee at home it costs practically nothing and I know what to expect.

This means I can go out for breakfast lunch and dinner everyday if I choose.

Or go to the coffe shop and get 3 -3 ounce shots of coffee.

Get a 500 baht french press some good coffee Fresh water and enjoy Thailand.

Oh and don't forget the cream

The last time I went to Coffee World, the server wanted 10thb to add cream to my cup of coffee.

Is this store policy or am I being jerked around?

Pretty common practise when I used to drink at Coffee World a few years ago (I now prefer Au Bon Pain - better coffee at a cheaper price).

If you just order coffee (without saying "with milk", or "with mill" in Thaiglish ) they will usually bring you black coffee at which point you can request some milk which they probably won't charge for. The reason I discovered this is because many times the staff would not listen to my complete order and not hear/understand the "with milk" bit and bring me my coffee black .

Actually when you think about it, why should black coffee drinkers pay for milk when they do not take it.

Here we go, there are so many cheap charlies out here. Cream is an expensive comodity in Thailand, a gallon of cream is over 1000 baht. 10 baht for cream in your coffee I would say that is normal and a good price to pay.

the only thing is, in England coffee venders have the sense to price the cream in with the price of coffee which would be more than 10 baht. that way you dont even realise you are paying for cream. why should they give you cream for free, please explain that one to me, why should they???

No, charging for cream in your coffee is over the top. Is it stated on the menu that way?

My bigger pet peeve is when I order black coffee and they serve half coffee, half empty space air. This even when I ask to fill it up in Thai. This happens so often I make a game of it. Point to the air, the empty space, and say I ordered coffee, not air. I am talking about brewed coffee not espresso of course.

The last time I went to Coffee World, the server wanted 10thb to add cream to my cup of coffee.Is this store policy or am I being jerked around?

It's store policy.

Edited by legag

No, charging for cream in your coffee is over the top. Is it stated on the menu that way?

My bigger pet peeve is when I order black coffee and they serve half coffee, half empty space air. This even when I ask to fill it up in Thai. This happens so often I make a game of it. Point to the air, the empty space, and say I ordered coffee, not air. I am talking about brewed coffee not espresso of course.

if you dont like it, dont go there.

mate, how hard can it be? its not rocket science.

It's store policy.

Could be. It would be my policy avoid such a store.

How about getting charged extra from nam prik pla? Coffee drinkers expect milk to be available, it is what you offer when you sell coffee. They should just price it into the cost of doing business, like rent.

OP asked about the CREAM not the milk charge jingthing. It's store policy, you don't like it, leave it. There is nothing right or wrong here. Business is business.

Edited by legag

OP asked about the CREAM not the milk charge jingthing. It's store policy, you don't like it, leave it. There is nothing right or wrong here. Business is business.

Agreed. Thanks to the OP for highlighting yet another greedy business operation. I am sorry charging extra for cream or milk for a basic coffee is as silly as charging extra for nam prik pla with your rice dish.

I lived in the north for a year and resigned to the fact that concept of coffee had not caught on. Every shop seems to have the Saeco machine but lack of real coffee machines.

But then again you do have price variancies for short black long black flat whites etc. 10b in the scheme of things aint that bad?

I havn't been back to Coffee World since they asked for an extra 10thb for the coffee cream.

Been drinking coffee for 40 years and this is the first time I've seen that one.

If that's store policy... fine.... just seems greedy....

O yea, I hear they are going out of business/closing soon..... Good.

I am coming to Coffeeworld (The Mall in Korat) on a regular base.

Black coffee (Americano) is always served with creamER and sugar seperately.

What I also do notice is that they very frequently change their personel.

Young girls without any knowledge of their (Coffeeworld's announcement on the menue) english menu.

Many times different bill (wrong price).

Agreed. Thanks to the OP for highlighting yet another greedy business operation. I am sorry charging extra for cream or milk for a basic coffee is as silly as charging extra for nam prik pla with your rice dish.

A bag of coffee beans is about 100Baht and a liter of cream is about the same. Each will make about 20-30 cups of coffee with cream. That means that the raw material is about twice the cost if you add cream. It's not fair to pass this cost on to people who do not take cream, is it?

10Baht may be a bit excessive but if a liter cost 100Baht and last for 20 cups, with wastage, the cost would be 5Baht per cup and a 100% mark up for this kind of business is not uncommon as their main cost is rent, salaries and utilities.

I'm sure they could have supplied you with coffeMate for free. To compare it with charging for nam prik is just silly as the cost for this is just a very small fraction of the whole meal.

I think it is a good initiative, you pay for what you get, fair for everyone.

Cream or Milk or Half & half....? I don't know what they call it... the white liquid I've been adding to my coffee for 40 years.

Coffee World asked an extra 10thb.....The first any only time I've seen that.

It's not going to break my budget.... just curious if they charge extra or was the clerk jerking me around?

O yea, I hear they are going out of business/closing soon..... Good.

This does not surprise me at all. They used to employ staff who could not speak English in the Silom road branch which targets farangs.

I also got fed up with the croissants which had 'sold out already' by 9.00 am.

Not to mention the 2 - 3 minute waits while the staff tried to work out how to operate the till.

etc. etc.

Listen to your customers..... NOT

A bag of coffee beans is about 100Baht and a liter of cream is about the same. Each will make about 20-30 cups of coffee with cream. That means that the raw material is about twice the cost if you add cream. It's not fair to pass this cost on to people who do not take cream, is it?

10Baht may be a bit excessive but if a liter cost 100Baht and last for 20 cups, with wastage, the cost would be 5Baht per cup and a 100% mark up for this kind of business is not uncommon as their main cost is rent, salaries and utilities.

I'm sure they could have supplied you with coffeMate for free. To compare it with charging for nam prik is just silly as the cost for this is just a very small fraction of the whole meal.

I think it is a good initiative, you pay for what you get, fair for everyone.

I'm afraid that I agree.

I hate having to pay for an alcoholic drink thai don't want that is "free" with a dinner, but actually bumps up the price 200 baht, and I feel the same way about paying for someone else's cream when plain milk is fine for me.