Tips

french fannies

I have just returned from a visa run to the poi-pet boarder at Cambodia using 'Jack's Golf Tours' which provide for 2,000bt an efficient service on a luxury coach complete with self service coffee machine and movies played throughout the 5 hr journey.

There is a big notice inside the coach stating the following...

For the better service next time we would appreciate it if you gave a little tip for the driver. Around 20-50Bat. Thankyou.

So what they are saying is that after forking out two grand, which ain't to be sniffed at - they are on top of that suggesting that they will put more efort into the service next time if you slip them 50bt on your way out?!

I have been a "voyer" of this forum for a few weeks now and ave not seen anything on the subject of tipping. How did it start in Thailand and is it considered rude not to tip?

Personally, I don't like it when it is assumed or asked for, I tip if I feel I have had exceptional service, otherwise don't because I've already paid a standard fee for a standard service.

To tip or not to tip

"It's up to you"

Tipping is relatively new to the Thais. The farang brought this custom with them and now more and more it is expected.

Only tip if you feel that you have received exceptional service. That is the idea of tipping after all. Tipping to ensure better service next time is ridiculous. If too many farand tip as a matter of course, believe me it will become compulsory.

To tip or not to tip

"It's up to you"

Tipping is relatively new to the Thais. The farang brought this custom with them and now more and more it is expected.

Only tip if you feel that you have received exceptional service. That is the idea of tipping after all. Tipping to ensure better service next time is ridiculous. If too many farand tip as a matter of course, believe me it will become compulsory.

Fully agree to this. In the early 70-ies in Hong Kong, waiters expected HK$ 1.00

mid seventies they got angry if you left only one US$.

The other day in a pub where I do know everybody, the farang-owner asked me "What only so small a tip?"

Told him, "If you would pay a proper salary to your staff, nobody would have to tip".

I don't think I am stingy, but I do not want to be forced.

Otherwise have a look here, I askked only recently:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15429&hl=

QUOTE (loong @ Thu 2004-09-09, 19:48:39)

The farang brought this custom with them and now more and more it is expected.

Really? We don't have it as a widespread custom in England.

So which farang country is responsible for this ever increasing habit in Thailand?

In the UK it is expected that you will tip when eating out, staying at hotels, organised coach trips etc. You live in the UK so you probably don't do the tourist thing in your own country. Many places the "Service Charge" is compulsory and added to your bill.

American servicemen started tourism as we know it in Thailand and they loved to flash it around. (the cash I mean).

About 4 years ago, while in Vietnam, I left a tip after an excellent meal and it was returned to me. It seems that they almost view tipping as an insult. And it wasn't because the tip was so small, before you say it. I don't know if it is the same there now.

Farang, including English, when they are on holiday usually expect to tip staff and they introduced this to Thailand. Now it is expected in most hotels and of course bars.

If you, being English do not tip when on holiday I think that you are the exception not the rule

You may have paid 2000 baht for the trip, but the driver probably only gets 150- 200 baht a day.

Another 20-50 baht won't hurt you, and he will appreciate it.

It is rather naughty putting up the sign, but most foreigners probably don't realise the economics of life here.

When I take a taxi to the airport I always tip the driver 100baht, on top of the 1600baht fare.

[slight feeling of deja-vu on this topic, but anyway :o ]

> The other day in a pub where I do know everybody, the

> farang-owner asked me "What only so small a tip?"

That's incredible. Would be the last visit for me. (I'm assuming here that you didn't leave less than 5 baht).

Actually it would be enough reason to not only never go there again, but remove whatever I tipped and take everything.

Come to think of it, I rarely tip to the establishment other than some loose coins I can't be bothered to bring with me. Actual tips (if and when earned) would go to staff directly.

Cheers,

Chanchao

So which farang country is responsible for this ever increasing habit in Thailand?

The country of freedom, the country which is based on a TIP economy, where waiters cannot survive without tips.

The sad country of Bush where 15-20% tip is an hidden cost everywhere, where waiters are taxed on tips even if they don't get any .....

Is that freedom??

They are then exporting this bad habit everywhere in the world and giving the right to some employers to cheat their employees with the excuse of "big tips".

I very very rarely tip, only if the service is outstanding, this means that in a 5 stars restaurant I expect a super service (already paid in the bill) and everything above the super is tipped with 40 Baht

The country of freedom, the country which is based on a TIP economy, where waiters cannot survive without tips.

The sad country of Bush where 15-20% tip is an hidden cost everywhere, where waiters are taxed on tips even if they don't get any .....

Is that freedom??

They are then exporting this bad habit everywhere in the world and giving the right to some employers to cheat their employees with the excuse of "big tips".

I very very rarely tip, only if the service is outstanding, this means that in a 5 stars restaurant I expect a super service (already paid in the bill) and everything above the super is tipped with 40 Baht

It is made quite difficult for you if you don't spread around the largesse in them Unites States. Tipping is seemingly mandatory.

Actually it would be enough reason to not only never go there again, but remove whatever I tipped and take everything.

I agree.

Today I went to Burger King with my wife expecting to pay 100 or so baht for a couple of burgers and fries to share and we ended up with 2 Pepsi's - (The largest size they did) and TWO portions of fries (The largest size they did) as well as our mass produced burgers.

I almost lost my temper but then realised what rubbish money they were on and that their boss had probably told them to screw the farang, or any customer, for as much as they could.

The Pepsi was so cold (Due to being a 85% ice) that it hurt my teeth to drink and to add insult to injury, we were expected to put our rubbish in the bins provided like good little children who had paid almost 300 baht for mass produced SH1T.

My wife took the fries out of the shop with her and recieved an unsavoury look for doing so.

Strangely enough, we didn't leave a tip.

Many places the "Service Charge" is compulsory and added to your bill.

Actually it is not madatory in the UK. There is legal president for this in the UK, if it is listed as 'service charge' or 'tip' and it does not state on the menu or clearly on a sign visible to the customer BEFORE s/he orders that it is a madatory charge, then it is legally considered optional.

The law is based around the fact that you go to a restaurant for the food, not the service. You may choose a restaurant because of its service, but it is the food you have chosen and agreed to pay for.

An Italian restaurant owner was arrested a few years ago after locking in two customers for refusing to pay the service charge. The locked the fromt door and called the police. He found out the hardway that it is optional unless otherwise stated; he was arrested for false imprisonment or some such.

There was a scam (probably still is) in London's red light district, Soho. Some bars, strip joints, invite you in for a free show. The do not put the drink prices up. At the end of the night you find the bill for £60 a pint and a 20% service charge wacked on top. Many of these bars have been prosecuted (it is also the law that prices must be displayed over the bar, must be clear, unobstricted and visible to the customer).

I can't count the amount of times taxi drivers have dropped off the few Baht the meter reads over a 10 (charged 150 instead of 152 etc). So, I always round up. If 90 I give him a hundred etc. I guess it equates out eventually. I am usually happy to tip taxis, but never much. I have been ripped off, then they get none (scenic route!).

I always leave coins after eating a meal (a proper restaurant, not McDonald's) and pick up the notes. If it is a good restaurant and I've had a good time I may leave a 20 (wifey will pick up if she sees it).

At the snake/crocodile/elephant show etc, I'll drop a 20 or 50 for my group in the ring or whatever.

I will give tips to hotel staff if they do something special for me - like bring an extra bed or come up straight away to fix the TV etc.

I don't stay in tourist hotels, prefering either Thai hotels or guest houses if I'm not staying with family. Tips are appreciated, and a surprise there. It DOES guarantee good service - but I keep the tips low (10 baht max) otherwise everyone will want to carry your bags on checkout!

Many places the "Service Charge" is compulsory and added to your bill.

Actually it is not madatory in the UK. There is legal president for this in the UK, if it is listed as 'service charge' or 'tip' and it does not state on the menu or clearly on a sign visible to the customer BEFORE s/he orders that it is a madatory charge, then it is legally considered optional.

Ok it may not be Mandatory, but I think it takes some nerve to refuse to pay the service charge, same as it takes some to refuse to pay a Songtaow driver 20 Baht for a 5 Baht trip.

Most of us do not like a scene and stump up to avoid one.

Personally, I don't like it when it is assumed or asked for, I tip if I feel I have had exceptional service, otherwise don't because I've already paid a standard fee for a standard service.

A few times I have taken the thai equivalent of the "tijuana-taxi" bus, with anywhere from 10-16 people crammed into a large passenger van. For the runs I took (Phichit to Ayutthaya) it was basically a flat fee of 200 ThB with no sign or expectation of a tip.

I do not tip the tuk-tuk skippers, because the fees are pre-negotiated before stepping on board. They tend to try to "rob" farangs anyway, so they get what they get, which is usually more than a native thai would pay. I have always seemed to get better rates when one of my fiance's brothers does the negotiating.

In and around Bkk, I will tip the taxi driver if they are friendly (almost all have been so far), by rounding up to the next 20-30 ThB increment. For example, a meter taxi ride to the MoChit skytrain from the hotel I stay at, typically runs between 140-160 ThB. I will usually round up to 160-180 ThB or a bit more if the driver is particularly engaging. This has always been very much appreciated.

I have also been driven around by some thai friends of my fiance's brothers. In these cases, they would never accept cash money, but would always appreciate some petrol in the tank and a quick bite to eat at a roadside diner. Always well worth it on all accounts.

100 Baht at the beginning of the night at almost any bar I go to. Another 100 at the end.

20-100 Baht for restaurants, directly to the server, as many places nick the service charge from these kids.

I only take taxis once or twice a year, so 20 Baht to these guys (I tell them at the beginning of the trip along with the tip... "I'm not in a hurry, thus, there is no need for you to hurry... sabai sabai").

20 Baht to valet parking people.

500-1000 Baht tip for above average bathing services.

:o

As I said before, the more Farang that give excessive tips the more it will be expected.

I think that 200 Baht tip to every bar is excessive, sets a precedent and makes it harder on everyone else.

When I leave a bar, I will tip between 20 and 50 Baht, depending on how well I have been treated. If I have bought a girl a few drink at the inflated bar price, then I know that she should be getting at least 20 Baht for each drink so will not leave more than 20 baht.

I assume that most people know that at most bars, when a girl is bar-fined out for the night, she loses her share of the tips that night. That is the reason why, on occasions a girl may not be willing to go with you late at night, as her share of the pot with the few girls remaining is more than she is going to earn from you ( specially if so many Farang are leaving 200 Baht at a time). If you want the tip to go to a particular girl, give it to her personally and don't let the mamasan see.

Well, I'm Thai actually and don't feel it's excessive. I should say the avg. check is 1,000 (Thonglor/Rang Nam/Ratchada Soi 4, etc.) - 10,000 (Orbit, Forte, Penthouse, etc.) so really a few hundred for the server is quite reasonable percentage wise. If you're a regular to these places, you'll definitely see improved service, so in essence you're still purchasing a service, not just giving a gratuity.

The thing is that you should be paying for the service priced in with the goods.

Tips should be to reward exceptional service not to purchase good service.

I guarantee you that if every Farang was beleived to be a good tipper, the bar girls wages would reduce to nil.

In UK waitresses wages are low because they are expected to make it up with tips. This to my mind is wrong.

I believe that people should receive a fair wage for a good days work and any tips should be a bonus, not looked on as part of their wage structure

The odds of everyone following one tipping trend (more than plenty frugal people who don't believe in tipping at all in this world) or all employers changing their wage systems (what would be the point?) is highly unlikely.

I think the fact of the matter is that exceptional service usually goes unrewarded (or at best rewarded with a "thank you," which for people working on US$5.50 a day, sometimes isn't enough to merit continued 'exceptional' service... at least not to everyone).

On a practical level, there is better service provided (in general) for those who pay for it. Exceptional? Sometimes. Better? Definitely.

You may have paid 2000 baht for the trip, but the driver probably only gets 150- 200 baht a day.

Another 20-50 baht won't hurt you, and he will appreciate it.

It is rather naughty putting up the sign, but most foreigners probably don't realise the economics of life here.

When I take a taxi to the airport I always tip the driver 100baht, on top of the 1600baht fare.

Astral,

Very curious - where are you taking your taxi from? In the current day of cheap airfares, one can actually get to another country for 1600 baht. :o

agreee completely with an extra 20-50 baht being not much extra burden. The fact that he's hung a sign on his coach asking for it just means he's an enterprising chap. If you don't ask, you might miss out.

Well, I'm Thai actually and don't feel it's excessive. I should say the avg. check is 1,000 (Thonglor/Rang Nam/Ratchada Soi 4, etc.) - 10,000 (Orbit, Forte, Penthouse, etc.) so really a few hundred for the server is quite reasonable percentage wise.

If you think that the average check is 1000 to 10,000 Baht, then I do not frequent these type of bars. I would usually have a few beers and then move on, normal tab less than 500.

When I am in Thailand, I do not tend to convert money back to English currency, so to me 100 Baht is quite a lot of money. 200 Baht is 20% of my daily budget.

200Baht will feed a family of 4 for at least 2 days. If in England, I would not dream of tipping bar staff the equivalent money to feed a family for 2 days, so why should I do it here.

WHAT ???

a family of anorexic pygmies maybe !

you are joking surely!

No joke - pure fact

I'm talking about up country, where I spend most of my time

200Baht per day equates to 6000 Baht per month - most Thai families do not have this amount of income, yet they manage to eat.

The sad country of Bush where 15-20% tip is an hidden cost everywhere, where waiters are taxed on tips even if they don't get any ...

Wrong! being tax on tips they do not get. Where did you ever here something as silly as that. If you want to throw your digs at America, at least do it about something that might have a shred of truth.

Just say no to drugs, they are bad for you. :o

i fully understand that "up country local" can be very different to "pampered big city expat" but 25b/person/day food purchasing power is surely more the exception than the rule.

Generally speaking normal income is around 100 baht per day in the group of villages that I stay. If a person works everyday then they will have an income of 3000 Baht per month. Usually, more like 2000.

For me and my family (gf 2 kids) normal spend per day.

Rice 15Baht (best quality available can buy lower quality for about 8 Baht.

Meat 60 Baht

Vegetables 20 Baht

Fruit 20 Baht

Eggs 10 Baht

Water 10 Baht (20 Litres)

Pastes and other cooking additives, cooking oil etc about 15 Baht

This totals around 150 Baht per day, meat and eggs have been more expensive this year due to bird flu.

That is what it costs up country for a family of 4 to eat really well. This is for home cooked meals and as my Gf is best cook in Thailand, prefer it. These figures do not require me to economise excessively. But you do get to appreciate the value of the Baht.

An average family would not spend so much on meat, more like 20 Baht per day, if that. Thai food generally contains very little meat. They would not be buying fruit every day and will drink rainwater when available.

This means that the average Thai family are spending less than 100 Baht per day.

Incidently, drinking the local moonshine, costs less than 5 Baht per person to get drunk!

If I go out to eat, noodles cost 10 Baht and Thai spaghetti from 3 Baht.

It's a different world mate!!