Thai Alphabet Mp3

kokesaat

I'm trying to find a single mp3 file of the Thai alphabet.....pure and simple, along the lines of A, B, C, D, E etc. The only files I can locate are either of kindergarten students reciting the alphabet (impossible to understand the screaming kids) or are individual files of individual letters.

I like the quality of the sound files at http://www.thai-language.com/?ref=consonants. Unfortunately, the files are only for individual letters.

Thanks from Udon

You're right, it's 'pretty clear'. It'll do for now, but I'd like something of a higher quality, preferably without the poem part. Thanks

Have you tried Learning Thai yet?

The mp3 available for download there sounds pretty clear to me :o

Note, however, that it is not purely the alphabet. Rather, it is the alphabet poem: the letter, followed with the letter's symbol (example)

Thanks. It took me 10 minutes to edit the file using audacity. Now I've got to figure out how to convert the file back to mp3 so I can load it onto my napster player.

Thanks for the tip.

You could load the mp3 kitty mentioned in Audacity and cut the parts you don't want, or you could type what you want in the Thai Speech Synthesis online demo and save the resulting mp3 file

Go to the menu File/export as mp3. For that to work, first you have to go to the menu Edit/Preferences and in the tab "File Formats" specify the location of the lame_enc.dll. If you don't have it and don't know where to get it, just download this file and copy it to your Audacity directory.

Thanks for all the tips. Done deal. Been able to read (albeit slowly) for over a year, now I've got the alphabet mastered.......reading, writing, and typing it. Ahhhhh, progress.

By the way, I just assumed every educated Thai would know their version of ABC's, but to my surprise, three college educated adults all stumbled over the order, usually around ญฎฏฑฒณ.

Thanks again for the assists~!

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, I just assumed every educated Thai would know their version of ABC's, but to my surprise, three college educated adults all stumbled over the order, usually around ญฎฏฑฒณ.

When I arrived in Thailand a few years ago, a friend of a friend (both TU students) told us that she failed to get a job at a video rental shop because she couldn't give the Thai alphabet order at the interview. The manager considered that knowing the order of the letters was essential for the job, since the videos were catalogued alphabetically. I was surprised, because knowing the alphabet is indeed necessary to find things when they are ordered alphabetically, and that includes dictionaries and encyclopaedias. How can a university student (or even a primary school student) get by without using dictionaries and encyclopaedias?

I have never attempted myself to memorize the Thai alphabet, because I was a bit put off by the inclusion of quite a few obsolete or rarely used consonants, and when I started using Thai dictionaries, I found that having a rough idea of the order of the most used letters was enough to find any word fairly quickly. The more I used my dictionary, the faster I could find words in it. Maybe I should make the effort to memorize the Thai alphabet, but I don't see it as a priority.

The redone alphabet file is attached. I deleted the poetry part of the file and added blank space. It may be a bit fast for some, but I didn't start using it until I felt I had the alphabet down pat....then I used the file to see if I could say the upcoming letter before I heard it. It took a few days, but I've got it!

I used this trick to help me reinforce the sequence of letters. Every time I drove to town (18km), I looked at the license plate of the car in front of me. Pick a letter......let's say ฉ. I'd try to remember the letter before ฉ and the letter after. So I'd end up saying 'จ ฉ ช'

This mental drill helped me remember the order of consonants, and it's really helped in speeding up my dictionary drills.

//Edit: even though the mp3 file was uploaded at my suggestion, regretfully I now had to remove it for copyright reasons. My fault that I did not think of this complication earlier. -- Maestro

Edited by Maestro

Kokesaat, on second thought I realise that it was a bad idea on my part to ask you to upload your mp3 file, because I see that you used a downloaded file from another website and modified it. This could get ThaiVisa into trouble about copyright violation and for this reason I feel compelled to remove your upload. Sorry about that. Nothing wrong, though in your using your modified file for personal use.

Since you find your modified version more useful than the original, I wonder if that other website would be interested in putting your version on their site, for all to use, if you offer it to them.

--

Maestro