Surin Elephant Round-up 2008

GungaDin

Hi,

I've been trying to get to this festival for years, this year I should make it.

Any dates confirmed yet?

The TAT site is useless!

Need a hotel for 7 or 8 nites too, any suggestions, 1000-2000bt/nite.

Thanks for any replies. :o

Look on http://www.farangconnection.com or just press the link. It is always the third weekend in November. All info will be coming up in the next few weeks. We provide hotel rooms, tickets and if you are coming on the 04.00 night train we pick you up at the station and open the pub for breakfast. Just e-mail me, and we do the rest. Please rember though all hotels are double, treble and a couple four times the price for that weekend. I would suggest the Surin Majestic, asd the prices are only double and it is the best anyway.

Hi,

I've been trying to get to this festival for years, this year I should make it.

Any dates confirmed yet?

The TAT site is useless!

Need a hotel for 7 or 8 nites too, any suggestions, 1000-2000bt/nite.

Thanks for any replies. :o

Look on http://www.farangconnection.com or just press the link. It is always the third weekend in November. All info will be coming up in the next few weeks. We provide hotel rooms, tickets and if you are coming on the 04.00 night train we pick you up at the station and open the pub for breakfast. Just e-mail me, and we do the rest. Please rember though all hotels are double, treble and a couple four times the price for that weekend. I would suggest the Surin Majestic, asd the prices are only double and it is the best anyway.

Hi Gungadin

Good advice by the BFG. The Majestic IMHO is also the best/newest Hotel in Town.Nice clean hotel&pool with good food (Not as good as the FC though) ! :D

Dave

by the way, how is the situation at FC now ? heard that the owner (is lampard10 that Martin?) split with his GF and even the location of the Pub has to be changed due to problems with the landlord..... there is some information on the website, but dont know how recent is that.....

have to go to Surin soon and would for sure pay the FC a visit, if it still exists....

Gunga...................................the info is now up on the web-site, with hotel prices. ( or the ones that I deal with) :D

Siam.......everything is hunky-dory at the FC. :o Finally after 10 years of marriage, now we have split we get along better :D. We are staying just where we are, although we might need another premesis for the bakery and shop. ( we are getting through 70-80 loaves a week now)

And to the rest of you.............................Love you all, see you at the next p1ss-up :D

And to the rest of you.............................Love you all, see you at the next p1ss-up :D

To show us your real affection, should host one immediately! :bah::D

We did................................

yesterday :bah:

:D:o:D

• 9 months later...
I found two different starting dates, so not sure when it starts . . .

http://www.farangconnection.com/index.php?...7&Itemid=30

http://www.istc.org/sisp/index.htm?fx=even...;event_id=20341

Anyone know if anything is going on for the 21st?

Hi farangnahrak

The information is correct on the Ferang Connection website and not that other one.

We live in Surin and after double checking with my Thai wife, I can 100% confirm that the Festival starts with the Elephant 'Breakfast' as it has every year.

That happens on the 21st and the festivities in the stadium are on the following few days.

Enjoy,see you there

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I found two different starting dates, so not sure when it starts . . .

http://www.farangconnection.com/index.php?...7&Itemid=30

http://www.istc.org/sisp/index.htm?fx=even...;event_id=20341

Anyone know if anything is going on for the 21st?

Hi farangnahrak

The information is correct on the Ferang Connection website and not that other one.

We live in Surin and after double checking with my Thai wife, I can 100% confirm that the Festival starts with the Elephant 'Breakfast' as it has every year.

That happens on the 21st and the festivities in the stadium are on the following few days.

Enjoy,see you there

Dave

As Dave says, the info is correct on my web-site. I finally persuaded the \Tourist Authority of Thailand to change their web-site to show the correct dates and not 14th, 15th & 16th as they were doing. Unfortunately ( or should I say now that I have given up trying to put it right, fortunately)we are expecting loads of visitors next weekend, because of all the web-sites still showing the earlier dates. Another equally unfortunate fact is the number of web-sites that do not mention The Elephant Parade & Breakfast, which commences at 08.00 Friday morning. I have over 100 guests booked in this year, and a good deal of them have changed their dates to accomodate Friday mornings spectacle. Anybody still wishing for rooms, we have plenty at the Surin Country Lodge, who after taking a full hotel booking of 50 Belgians, for 14th, 15th & 16th found themselves with an empty hotel after the dates were suddenly changed. We are gradually filling them now though.

The festivals a complete waste of time. A market where you can buy plastic things and a load of elephants most of which should be somewhere else.

-- Zoot

Full Hotels/Bars each year suggest you are in a minority Zoot.

I would agree that the market has trashy gadgets just like EVERY other in Thailand. I prefer to leave the markets to the Children and Ladies and relax under the stars, in one of the Beer Gardens listening to live bands (whilst drinking, of course).

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

The festivals a complete waste of time. A market where you can buy plastic things and a load of elephants most of which should be somewhere else.

-- Zoot

I don't agree. The show is great. Worth watching it at least one time. A few nice pictures can be found here for instance: http://www.east-asian-road.com/pub/enphot2a.php

Yes,there's some great pics there....................I was thinking of using some, but our sites are linked anyway.

-- Zoot

I don't agree. The show is great. Worth watching it at least one time. A few nice pictures can be found here for instance: http://www.east-asian-road.com/pub/enphot2a.php

Yes,there's some great pics there....................I was thinking of using some, but our sites are linked anyway.

It's not my website, but I've been there already. I know the owners but their guesthouse is already full during the festival.

-- Zoot

It's not my website, but I've been there already. I know the owners but their guesthouse is already full during the festival.

I rest my case, Zoot. The rest of the world cannot all be wrong.

Cultural events are not to everyones liking, just have a poll in a Pattaya GO GO!

Dave

-- Zoot

And the owner Alban, is a very nice Frenchman.

-- Zoot

And the owner Alban, is a very nice Frenchman.

Is there such a thing??? :o:D :D

John.....

a gentleman from south shields????????????????????????????? :o

That little known suburb of Scotland. They don't even have a football team. Half of 'em support Rangers, the other half Celtic. :D

I didn't know Chelsea was in Ramsgate, why don't you support your hometown team, like Bayern Munchen for example? :D :D :D

Although you left in the gentlman bit. 555555555

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

Hey, does anyone have a schedule for the Elephant Festival event?

I just went to the train station, but they are sold out of tickets until Saturday evening for BKK to Surin. I was thinking of just going Sunday, but not sure if it'll be worth it considering the event will probably be winding down. I hear there are still hotel rooms available, but I was thinking of just making it a day trip and sleeping on the train :o

I would have bought my tickets earlier but I just got back from a week in Krabi yesterday (for my bday). Spent all my time/energy planning that trip . . .

My condolences go out to the poor ferang who was trampled to death yesterday at The Surin Elephant Buffet. Me & 'er indoors' were sitting on one of the Chang when they started to get very aggitated. Bit scary! :o

It must be remembered that these cute Dumbo's are still wild animals and can get spooked by various stupid actions.

:D

Dave (still here BTW)

My condolences go out to the poor ferang who was trampled to death yesterday at The Surin Elephant Buffet. Me & 'er indoors' were sitting on one of the Chang when they started to get very aggitated. Bit scary! :o

It must be remembered that these cute Dumbo's are still wild animals and can get spooked by various stupid actions.

:D

Dave (still here BTW)

It now appears that the injured ferang lady 'just' had broken bones and did not die. Sorry for the mis-information. From the back of my Chang I saw someone giving CPR and stupidly relied on Thai gossip.

Dave