Wheelchair Use On Phuket/thailand

ArtfulD

Well im not expecting many forum users to have actually used a wheelchair on Phuket but I would appreciate informed oppinions on how you would percive it. Making it easier for those people who might have kids, going places with a pushchair etc is slightly compariable as to difficulties faced.

Im hoping to go to Thailand for a visit next year as a precursor to finding a place there but I have severe arthritis which leaves me in a chair. I`ll be with family for support etc. Obviously the biggest concern is traveling about once there, buses/moped taxies etc not quite realistic ;)

Im not sure how impatient taxi drivers are over there with the likes of say collapsing a chair to put in a boot of a car but money is no problem so id be prepared to offer double/tripple etc if I thought it would make them a bit more patient/happier. Outside of visa runs where I might fly to BK->singapore Im not the type of person who will be leaving the house that much after settling, but obviously transport is still an issue.

After looking at a lot of different places accomodation does not look to be a problem (please correct if otherwise). Although young (26) im not really looking to go out late at night partying and not concerned with the night life of Patong etc, im more interested in looking at properties down the south of the island (which after reading this forum appear to be the better choice). I had originally planned K.S and Pattaya as possible places but after reading a lot of info on them it seems Pattaya has a bad reputation and K.S doesnt have the same facilities/infrastructure as Phuket.

Anyways, any help at all on how you imagine it being a complete nightmare, or, difficult but doable would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks, yeah I do think a driver for any days we are out and about will be used..after seeing many photos of around Phuket however I do think it is going to be a lot easier than Bangkok (although Bangkok is mainly just going to be passing through, maybe visit some large shopping centres and thats about it).

I think your best bet would be to stay in Laguna its mostly flat and you can even get to the beach on your own but not through the sand. the only down side is, you will need loads of money to stay there

I have a 12 month old kid and my wife and I seldom take her out to Phuket town or Patong in a push chair. its not just access to shops but the pavements are mostly blocked, I agree with the others get yourself a driver. Bangkok and most other towns is just as bad.

I too had severe arthritis in both legs and lower back after a bike crash in the uk, but since I moved here I seldom suffer any pain.

good luck

I live in Thailand, and I also travel in a wheelchair (paralyzed from stroke 3 years ago). I'll be driving from Chiang Mai to Phuket in a couple of weeks (before the high season rates)

First, don't sweat anything. Though the footpaths are not very good usually, mobility and accessibility will never be a serious problem. Everyone will bend over backwards to help- it's important to give clear instructions, though.

Most decent hotels have entrance ramps (though often quite steep!), some even have rooms for wheelchairs, too. I've even seen a number of public toilets (at PTT stations) with handicapped access.

I'd suggest renting a van rather than a car because vans are usually easier to load you, and easier to stash a wheelchair- not many cars here have the boot space. Get a driver, of course. The driver will also do whatever duty you need, and with no complaining, I assure you. Just be sure to show your appreciation in some tangible way....

Oh, if you are planning to stay in Bkk, Bumrumgard Hospital has an International Residence' section right off Sukumwit soi 1. Their 2-room suites are 1500 baht, and setup for wheelchairs- even in the shower. Though normally only available to hospital patients and families, you can also stay there if you are not a patient, but use a wheelchair. And there's a dynamite Au Bon Paine(sp?) on premise...Roast Beef Sandwich highly recommended :D

Really, lots of people in chairs travel around Thailand. In my experience, everyone has been extremely patient and happy to help in any way. Truly great people here. :o

• 1 month later...
I live in Thailand, and I also travel in a wheelchair (paralyzed from stroke 3 years ago). I'll be driving from Chiang Mai to Phuket in a couple of weeks (before the high season rates)

First, don't sweat anything. Though the footpaths are not very good usually, mobility and accessibility will never be a serious problem. Everyone will bend over backwards to help- it's important to give clear instructions, though.

Most decent hotels have entrance ramps (though often quite steep!), some even have rooms for wheelchairs, too. I've even seen a number of public toilets (at PTT stations) with handicapped access.

I'd suggest renting a van rather than a car because vans are usually easier to load you, and easier to stash a wheelchair- not many cars here have the boot space. Get a driver, of course. The driver will also do whatever duty you need, and with no complaining, I assure you. Just be sure to show your appreciation in some tangible way....

Oh, if you are planning to stay in Bkk, Bumrumgard Hospital has an International Residence' section right off Sukumwit soi 1. Their 2-room suites are 1500 baht, and setup for wheelchairs- even in the shower. Though normally only available to hospital patients and families, you can also stay there if you are not a patient, but use a wheelchair. And there's a dynamite Au Bon Paine(sp?) on premise...Roast Beef Sandwich highly recommended :D

Really, lots of people in chairs travel around Thailand. In my experience, everyone has been extremely patient and happy to help in any way. Truly great people here. :o

I can mention that the Phuket Palace Resort at Patong has full facilities for disabled people, even the pool has a special ramp for wheelchairs, the same all over the hotel.

Oh, if you are planning to stay in Bkk, Bumrumgard Hospital has an International Residence' section right off Sukumwit soi 1. Their 2-room suites are 1500 baht, and setup for wheelchairs- even in the shower. Though normally only available to hospital patients and families, you can also stay there if you are not a patient, but use a wheelchair. And there's a dynamite Au Bon Paine(sp?) on premise...Roast Beef Sandwich highly recommended  :D

Really, lots of people in chairs travel around Thailand. In my experience, everyone has been extremely patient and happy to help in any way. Truly great people here.  :o

I can mention that the Phuket Palace Resort at Patong has full facilities for disabled people, even the pool has a special ramp for wheelchairs, the same all over the hotel.

Thanks so much! I'd been eyeing that place for a visit this winter, and your info confirmed that I'll soon be going there for a couple of weeks :D

Oh, if you are planning to stay in Bkk, Bumrumgard Hospital has an International Residence' section right off Sukumwit soi 1. Their 2-room suites are 1500 baht, and setup for wheelchairs- even in the shower. Though normally only available to hospital patients and families, you can also stay there if you are not a patient, but use a wheelchair. And there's a dynamite Au Bon Paine(sp?) on premise...Roast Beef Sandwich highly recommended  :D

Really, lots of people in chairs travel around Thailand. In my experience, everyone has been extremely patient and happy to help in any way. Truly great people here.  :o

Thanks so much! I'd been eyeing that place for a visit this winter, and your info confirmed that I'll soon be going there for a couple of weeks :D

Fantastic.... Now THIS is what forums are all about...  :D

totster  :D  :D

Yes - and I thought everyone would say "It can't be done"! Just walking around Phuket can be a real pain, given the state (or non-existence) of the pavements, so I was quite surprised to read so many positive responses from Ajarn and others. :o

Hello ArtfulD,

Wheelchair access in Phuket isn't actually a big problem!

I am the MD of a company specialized assisting wheelchair users to find accomodation, tours and travel, diving, sailing and much more. I have contact with almost every wheelchair friendly guesthouse and hotel in Phuket. This means if you book throug me, you will save up to 30% compared to the hotels listing prices. Cos I share my commission with my clients!

I can also recommend Patong Palace, I have a contract with them and can offer you a 30% discount compared to Paul Andersons listing prices.

I have wheelchair rooms from 400 Baht/night!

Also we cooperate with a company offering sailing at a big motor yacht with wheelchair access! Also there is a crane for lifting clients in and out of the water if they will swim or snorkel.

You are welcome to email me at [email protected]

Have a nice day all of you! :o

Hi ArtfulD,

I know nothing abt Phuket but my experience in BKK was ok in a wheelchair.

Taxi drivers are very helpful, no problem if the chair was a bit oversized for the boot.

They never looked like they wanted a tip but I always tipped at least 20-40b

Pavements in BKK were out of the question, broken or blocked or both.....

Supermarkets like Carefour and Tesco a breeze, staff were only too eager to help and push 100kg deadweight around... it looked a hoot :D

I had a special ramp built at home, it looked like only a few degrees slant but when tried, it took all my strength to hold the chair back..... 10,000b wasted.:D

Transport should not be a problem in BKK... Do they have taxis in Phuket?

Good luck. :o

P.S. Should you do a visa run to Poipet, you will get special treatment both sides of the border, just make sure you have someone with you who is doing a visa run too, to push you over the bridge/frontier. I went with a Thai national in a taxi from BKK. No probs.

Hello ArtfulD,

I am the MD of a company specialized assisting wheelchair users to find accomodation, tours and travel, diving, sailing and much more. I have contact with almost every wheelchair friendly guesthouse and hotel in Phuket. This means if you book throug me, you will save up to 30% compared to the hotels listing prices. Cos I share my commission with my clients!

I can also recommend Patong Palace, I have a contract with them and can offer you a 30% discount compared to Paul Andersons listing prices.

Also we cooperate with a company offering sailing at a big motor yacht with wheelchair access! Also there is a crane for lifting clients in and out of the water if they will swim or snorkel.

Have a nice day all of you!  :o

Cheers, Sir! :D

I want to say that after reading your message, my world of 'things I can still do' has opened a bit wider.... My sincere gratitude, and I hope you have great success in business. I'll be in contact with you regarding the sailing- a dream I'd once thought dashed :D

Hello ArtfulD,

Have a nice day all of you!  :o

Could be, but you don't have the pool and services of Phuket Palace Resort

Hello ArtfulD,

Have a nice day all of you!  :D

I didn't know this forum was to used for advertising, and I can inform you that Paul Anderson doesn't set the price. :o

Hello ArtfulD,

I didn't know this forum was to used for advertising, and I can inform you that Paul Anderson doesn't set the price. :D

Come on Sonthaya, he's offerring valuable info just like you. No need for the catty messages, na'? :D

Let's all continue to be supportive of each other here. I really appreciate anyone taking time to offer suggestions. It's all good :o

Hello ArtfulD,

I didn't know this forum was to used for advertising, and I can inform you that Paul Anderson doesn't set the price. :D

Come on Sonthaya, he's offerring valuable info just like you. No need for the catty messages, na'? :D

Let's all continue to be supportive of each other here. I really appreciate anyone taking time to offer suggestions. It's all good :o

Ok, sorry about that.

Hello ArtfulD,

Ok, sorry about that.

You are an honourable man in my book

Cheers, sir :D