What Happened With Hua Hin Immigration?

Pundi64

Has anybody else heard anything??

I heard that Bangkok Immigration came down to Hau Hin, fired everyone, and closed down the office for a couple days, and now has reopened with all new people running it from Bangkok head office. Is there any foundation to this talk I've heard, has anyone heard anything different? We all know they were ripping frangs off for extra money, plus asking 800 - 1000 baht for not checking into their office after traveling outside of Thailand upon returning, within 24 hours.

Edited by Pundi64

I haven't heard anything -- but then again, I'm stuck at home recovering from cancer, so I am a long way out of the loop!

Now I doubt if anyone will miss the former (?) boss (the weasel faced guy who could but wouldn't speak English & whose hobby was catching folk without work permits), some of the others were quite nice -- a lot nicer than other Imm offices! I remember when they stayed at their desks till 19.00 one evening so I could get my visa renewed before the deadline.

Similarly, why would any Thai get sacked for mistreating/cheating foreigners? I thought that was government policy :o

Was in the Hua Hin immigration office on monday the 14th of January to do our annual extension of our retirement visa. The people in the office at that time looked familiar and nothing unusual was going on. The extension went fine and took about 1 hour. Had been out of the country and back without reporting on our return and nothing was said. No 800Baht or for that matter no charge at all for not reporting in on return to Thailand. Quite friendly and for Thailand very efficient. There seem to be a lot of roumours in Hua Hin, a form of entertainment I think for people with nothing to do or talk about. :o

Yes I guess this was a false alarm, I got a call from someone who was there yesterday, Friday 18th, afternoon, and all looked the same to him. Sorry for the false alarm, even though it was a well warranted subject of concern.

Yes I guess this was a false alarm, I got a call from someone who was there yesterday, Friday 18th, afternoon, and all looked the same to him. Sorry for the false alarm, even though it was a well warranted subject of concern.

My wife and I went recently to renew our retirement visa and the staff looked the same, except for the head guy who I beleive WAS replaced recently. I didn't recognise the new head of the department, but it seems to me, that the lady with the long hair runs the show, as she was giving the 'head' instructions in no uncertain terms. 'She', seems to run hot and cold in the space of a minute and can be extremely intimidating or wonderfully pleasant - ALL within the same meeting.

I don't think that the 'move' to the new offices helped; as who in their right minds, would want to travel down that minefield of a 'road' for want of a better term every day to get to work!

I haven't heard anything -- but then again, I'm stuck at home recovering from cancer, so I am a long way out of the loop!

Now I doubt if anyone will miss the former (?) boss (the weasel faced guy who could but wouldn't speak English & whose hobby was catching folk without work permits), some of the others were quite nice -- a lot nicer than other Imm offices! I remember when they stayed at their desks till 19.00 one evening so I could get my visa renewed before the deadline.

Similarly, why would any Thai get sacked for mistreating/cheating foreigners? I thought that was government policy :o

I agree, they were probably promoted and moved to another area ! :D

Has anybody else heard anything??

I heard that Bangkok Immigration came down to Hau Hin, fired everyone.......they were ripping farangs off for extra money, plus asking 800 - 1000 baht for not checking into their office after traveling outside of Thailand upon returning, within 24 hours.

Fired! Are you kidding?!?!

I'm pretty sure they get promotions and bonuses for doing that. 555

My wife and I went recently to renew our retirement visa and the staff looked the same, except for the head guy who I beleive WAS replaced recently. I didn't recognise the new head of the department, but it seems to me, that the lady with the long hair runs the show, as she was giving the 'head' instructions in no uncertain terms. 'She', seems to run hot and cold in the space of a minute and can be extremely intimidating or wonderfully pleasant - ALL within the same meeting.

I don't think that the 'move' to the new offices helped; as who in their right minds, would want to travel down that minefield of a 'road' for want of a better term every day to get to work!

She knows a short cut- so don't think she runs down soi 102 everyday to work.

I agree, they were probably promoted and moved to another area ! :D

Promotion for cheating tourist on visa and money under the table??? Wow this must be Thailand in the real.

Samui immigration been working "under the table"-deals for years. And one man in there in particular who did it more dirty than the rest of them together. Many times over the years when i went to immigration, he said something like "ok, 500 more, no reciept!". If you questioned him he would just say "next" and hand your passport back. I was happy to see the last time i went there before moving to hua hin a year ago that this man was gone. And others claiming the reason was some guy from Bangkok had been down and fired him due to the fact that many people benn complaining to Bangkok immigration that this guy had a side-buisness. I dont know how much truth there is to this but im said to see that now when i live in hua hin there is apperently also bribes involved in immigration? Just so everybody know: whenever you pay money you have the right to get a receipt. If you dont get one, pay and smile, BUT report it. To Bangkok immigration.

problems with immigration shakedowns in hua hin ?

just go straight to the mayors office and report it to him personally.

Ohh, thats great. I forgot i left a "lawless" society behind. This is the way it should work. In Samui all officers of different organisations where close friends and if you went to the major and rapported his best friend lutenet in Police, immigrationofficer, you stood a big chans of having to pay yet another bribe in order to survive! Happy i left, here in the mainland laws actually seem to exist. That will take some time to get use to...... :o

Easer

problems with immigration shakedowns in hua hin ?

just go straight to the mayors office and report it to him personally.

Ohh, thats great. I forgot i left a "lawless" society behind. This is the way it should work. In Samui all officers of different organisations where close friends and if you went to the major and rapported his best friend lutenet in Police, immigrationofficer, you stood a big chans of having to pay yet another bribe in order to survive! Happy i left, here in the mainland laws actually seem to exist. That will take some time to get use to...... :o

Easer

Same with me.

I shall enjoy paying 1,900 Baht for my annual extension this year instead of the 5,000 Baht in Samui.

I use the Samui office and I've paid 1900 baht for my visa extension since the fee was raised. And before that 500 baht. Since 1994, in fact.... I wonder what the difference is?

Anyway, the orginial post just goes to show how rumor and conjecture can quickly become taken as fact merely because its been repeated a a few times.

I have to second the last response. We've always found the entire staff to be helpful and have yet to see anyone being treated badly, except for one guy who deserved it.

We went in two weeks ago for our 90 day and were in and out in FIVE minutes.

One thing to know in HH that may help you....if you're doing a 90 day just to the room in the back on the right instead of sitting in the chairs waiting.......they will usually sit you down right away. Also, the best time to go is right after lunch.

:o

Anyway, the orginial post just goes to show how rumor and conjecture can quickly become taken as fact merely because its been repeated a a few times.

If we would take a close look at those who is complaining and rumoring, that's the most of the time that people they have something to "hide", like work without Workpermitt, running a "Business" without to be an legal Employee or Manager of that company and so on. And that are exactly the people which getting problems with the Authorities. Don't think the Thai Immigration or police or others don't know your real status, they much better informed than you ever think! And all the people which going 100% legal, you can ask for their problems with the authorities and in 99% there isn't any!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Have done 90 day reporting twice now.... The lady in this office is professional, pleasant and knows what she is doing.

In and out within 05 minutes, thats assuming there is no que....

Cheers Ralph

The wife and I have had exactly the same experience with this lady, - very pleasant and obliging. Long may she work there!

• 7 months later...

I was just there renewing my annual visa and they were friendly and efficient; got my visa renewed plus a multiple re-entry permit in about 30 minutes. I've been using Hua Hin immigration since they opened (3? years) ago in the old police station location and many of the staff have been in the office the entire time.

I always do my research and have all my paperwork in order, dress neatly, and conduct myself in a friendly and polite manner and have never had a problem with them.

• 3 months later...
I was just there renewing my annual visa and they were friendly and efficient; got my visa renewed plus a multiple re-entry permit in about 30 minutes. I've been using Hua Hin immigration since they opened (3? years) ago in the old police station location and many of the staff have been in the office the entire time.

I always do my research and have all my paperwork in order, dress neatly, and conduct myself in a friendly and polite manner and have never had a problem with them.

I've been dealing with them for six years from Bangkok (perfect record for them) to the old Singkorn at the Burma Border (perfect record) and then i started dealing with the police station (not bad). then a bunch of new, sunglasses indoors Pattaya types started showing up and it was a bit different around as far as atmospheere and effort. i do everything 101% legal and the 90 day reporting isn't an issue but no way was i going to let these thugs deal with my annual non-im "O" Retirement visa. Then Bkk said no more renewing there and sent my file to the "New House" at 102. Previous 90 day reporting trips took about a minute and a half on average and the woman there is excellent. The long hair witch that works out front is a different story as i have seen her in action setting up what I believe is going to be a sting on some old unsuspecting type (now granted he may not have had his stuff in order and correct or together but no excuse for her yelling and telling him he was bad etc..). Well guess who I get when i go in to do my new annual last year? You got same bit of bit ch and I wasn't taking chances i had my three inch thick file and when she saw my retirement income she had no reasion not to give it to nme but still made me wait around a bunch and was very unsociable and not courteous. Soooo when it's time to finish and stamp my Passport she expresses how much money I have and I don't have a little something for her. well I saw in my loudest voice as i let out a big loud laugh Oh hah hah i know you are joking me and you don't want me to give you any money while looking straight in the eye and knowing that ai don't ever want to have the bad lkuck of seeing or dealing with her. So beware all is not paradise as it may seem for some but bottom line know your rights and your requirements for doing business in a foreighn country because if you don't do the homework youmay have to stay after school with the duncecap on.

I know exactly who you mean -- the one with a Swiss/Swedish husband. On her good days, she's OK (did my last 90 days without my filling in any form at all) but when it's her 'time of month', she makes Lady MacBeth seem like a fairy godmother! She has taken 'tea money' from us in the past (my other half tried to take a short cut, against my advice) & may do again.

I also agree that the mob who were at the police station were much nicer than this mob. That's why HH is the only Imm office (that I know of) that has this 'report-within-24-hours-of-return-or-pay-up' routine -- or has this money-making idea spread?

Japanese Imm was a pain but at least they went by the book -- & the book was the same nationwide!

I've been dealing with them for six years from Bangkok (perfect record for them) to the old Singkorn at the Burma Border (perfect record) and then i started dealing with the police station (not bad). then a bunch of new, sunglasses indoors Pattaya types started showing up and it was a bit different around as far as atmospheere and effort. i do everything 101% legal and the 90 day reporting isn't an issue but no way was i going to let these thugs deal with my annual non-im "O" Retirement visa. Then Bkk said no more renewing there and sent my file to the "New House" at 102. Previous 90 day reporting trips took about a minute and a half on average and the woman there is excellent. The long hair witch that works out front is a different story as i have seen her in action setting up what I believe is going to be a sting on some old unsuspecting type (now granted he may not have had his stuff in order and correct or together but no excuse for her yelling and telling him he was bad etc..). Well guess who I get when i go in to do my new annual last year? You got same bit of bit ch and I wasn't taking chances i had my three inch thick file and when she saw my retirement income she had no reasion not to give it to nme but still made me wait around a bunch and was very unsociable and not courteous. Soooo when it's time to finish and stamp my Passport she expresses how much money I have and I don't have a little something for her. well I saw in my loudest voice as i let out a big loud laugh Oh hah hah i know you are joking me and you don't want me to give you any money while looking straight in the eye and knowing that ai don't ever want to have the bad lkuck of seeing or dealing with her. So beware all is not paradise as it may seem for some but bottom line know your rights and your requirements for doing business in a foreighn country because if you don't do the homework youmay have to stay after school with the duncecap on.

P.S.

There are/were 2 ladies based there, & the other one (less of a Mae West) is both charming & helpful. She is/was more like the old crew, so I suppose she's been moved somewhere less pleasant. I haven't been for over a month & am not due to return for a while. However, I have retirement renewal later on -- a bit like a dentist without the Novocain!

However, you hear some bad stories from places to the south so although the new bunch are not worth adding to one's Xmas card list, they could be (& might in due course become) much worse!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to renew my retirement visa on the 22nd this month and when I went to the police station, I had to find out that the Immigration moved to a new place. After 30 minutes searching I found the new office at the outskirts of Hua Hin. When was announced that the Immigration moved ? I followed the link Hua Hin Expats.com and there was still the old address given.

:o