Marriage Allowance From Uk

Peter Bysouth

I mentioned a few months ago about the married persons allowance for UK citizens even if their wife/husband had not been and worked in the UK. I married a Thai lady in March 2006 and became 65 on 12 Dec 2007. My pension first months was paid into a UK bank on 11 Jan 2008. I also completed the paperwork for the married mans allowance and sent it to the UK 4th Jan 2008. This is worth £52.30 at today’s value or 60% of the basic pension I am entitled to which is £87.30 after 44 years stamps, soon to be changed to 30 years stamps. I have registered with the tax people in UK as living here and am classed as a non resident for tax purposes and have been claiming tax back from the UK on my investments for 7 years. The papers required by the UK pensions did not need translations from Thailand I was told NOT to send translations in a phone call on 11 Dec 2007 from the pension people as they have to have them translated anyway, so do not waste money on translations that are not accepted by the British government. I enclose part of a email from the pensions people that is self explanatory. The money will be back dated to my date of retirement as they were informed of the claim on 4 October 2007, If someone claims after a being married a long time the claim will only be backdated 3 months. My wife had a holiday for 3 weeks in 2006 in the UK but this has no bearing on the claim they have not at anytime asked about her visiting the UK. So get the forms in and get what you are entitled to.

Subject: UK STATE PENSION

Dear Mr. Bysouth,

I can confirm that we have received your claim for an increase in benefit for your wife and that we have sent the documents for translation. On return the file will be sent to our National Insurance number allocation area, as your wife will have to be allocated her own number. This can take between 8 and 12 weeks. Once we have this we will be able to process your claim.

Hi Peter, that is very interesting information.

I think the earlier threads on this subject established that a UK pensioner was entitled to a married pension, but that many had experienced major hassles in getting it agreed and paid if their wife was Thai and had never lived in the UK

However, I distinctly recall that some 'experts' were telling us that after the change in legislation last year (i.e the reduction in qualifying contribution years etc), that a married pension was no longer applicable, and this was one of the ways that the government was going to recoup the cost of the changes.

Your experience seems to suggest otherwise.

I am confused. :o

I think the earlier threads on this subject established that a UK pensioner was entitled to a married pension, but that many had experienced major hassles in getting it agreed and paid if their wife was Thai and had never lived in the UK

However, I distinctly recall that some 'experts' were telling us that after the change in legislation last year (i.e the reduction in qualifying contribution years etc), that a married pension was no longer applicable, and this was one of the ways that the government was going to recoup the cost of the changes.

I am pretty sure that it is going to be phased out after 2010. Those that are already recieving this will continue to do so until 2020. So the likes of me that will be of retirement age after 2010 will not get it.

It all got a bit confusing but I think that is what it said.... I hope I am wrong.

I am pretty sure that it is going to be phased out after 2010. Those that are already recieving this will continue to do so until 2020. So the likes of me that will be of retirement age after 2010 will not get it.

It all got a bit confusing but I think that is what it said.... I hope I am wrong.

If you read the pensions act 2007 it should make many things cleare as my wife was bornn 04/12/68 she will not get a British pension until she is 67 years 7 months and 2 days

That sounds about right to me. I've got a few years to go too, and will not be getting a pension until after 2010, so it looks like I'll miss out on the wife.

Seems a mix up a few things here.

On UK income tax there is no marriage allowance, unless you are very old and married a long time ago!

If you are married and getting a UK state pension then you get the married element. This increases your pension by about 60%

There is no change to the married element of a pension coming in 2012.

If you then die and your spouse is not over retirement age then (since the mid 1990's) they will stop getting a pension until they reach retirement age.

Retirement age is changing for women, going from 60 to 65 over the period 2010 to 2020 in small steps.

On UK income tax there is no marriage allowance, unless you are very old and married a long time ago!

If you are married and getting a UK state pension then you get the married element. This increases your pension by about 60%

If you then die and your spouse is not over retirement age then (since the mid 1990's) they will stop getting a pension until they reach retirement age.

Retirement age is changing for women, going from 60 to 65 over the period 2010 to 2020 in small steps.

And then to 68 same as men a calculator on the pensions website will give exact age of entitlement

my wife 04/12/68 gets p[pension 67years 7 months 2 days, she will get bereavement allowance and 1 years widows pension

briley, unless I have misunderstood you, I think you may be wrong.

Using the link provided by litebeer, I found the following statement:

"People who claim State Pension on or after 6 April 2010 will not be able to claim extra money for their spouse or civil partner. People who are already getting this extra money (known as an Adult Dependency Increase, or ADI) before 6 April 2010 will keep it, but only until 2020 at the latest."

Once your wife reaches retirement age she will be able to claim her own pension, but after 2010, there will be no additional payment for wives under retirement age. The OP has lucked out, but will not get the additional money after 2020, unless by that time she is 67 years old and she can claim her own pension.

That's how I read it, anyway.

Does anyone have any information on Widow's Pensions?

briley, unless I have misunderstood you, I think you may be wrong.

Using the link provided by litebeer, I found the following statement:

"People who claim State Pension on or after 6 April 2010 will not be able to claim extra money for their spouse or civil partner. People who are already getting this extra money (known as an Adult Dependency Increase, or ADI) before 6 April 2010 will keep it, but only until 2020 at the latest."

Once your wife reaches retirement age she will be able to claim her own pension, but after 2010, there will be no additional payment for wives under retirement age. The OP has lucked out, but will not get the additional money after 2020, unless by that time she is 67 years old and she can claim her own pension.

That's how I read it, anyway.

The adult dependency allowance is not the married mans allowance as far as I can see it is something you get before retirement and can continue

The adult dependency allowance is not the married mans allowance as far as I can see it is something you get before retirement and can continue

We've had this debate before. I think you will find that it is the "married" allowance. It is aimed at spouses and partners, who have not yet reached retirement age, and have no income. i.e. you are supporting them - hence the term "adult dependancy allowance". If the wife is working, the husband gets no extra payment.

There is no such thing as a "Widow's Pension" now Mobi. As soon as you "hand in your soup plate", your wife will receive an immediate tax-free lump sum called a "Bereavement Benefit" (at my last check, this was £2,000). After that she must wait until she reaches the retirement age appropriate at the time before she receives a single person's pension.

Edit: Spelling mistake

Edited by Taijitu

The adult dependency allowance is not the married man's allowance as far as I can see it is something you get before retirement and can continue

We've had this debate before. I think you will find that it is the "married" allowance. It is aimed at spouses and partners, who have not yet reached retirement age, and have no income. i.e. you are supporting them - hence the term "adult dependancy allowance". If the wife is working, the husband gets no extra payment.

Neither of these comments is true. The "Adult Dependency Increase" is only payable alongside the UK State Pension......in fact it is known as a "Supplementary Pension". Therefore, it is only payable when a person reaches normal retirement age.

It used to be called a "Married Couple's Pension" where the total pension paid to a married couple, when one of them reached retirement age before the other, totalled to about 160% of a single person's pension.

Also, did you know that a person receiving a UK State Pension can receive a further supplementary pension (60%) if there is a child under 18 years old and being taken care of full-time by an another adult?

Edit: Punctuation

Edited by Taijitu

The figure quoted by the OP is a single persons allowance.

Quoted in the Gov. pensions information.

The full basic State Pension for 2007/08 is £87.30 for a single person (based on their own National Insurance record).

If you are like me you may qualify for additional allowances ( serps ect. ) which is then added to the above figure

The only way a married pension comes into play is when both are over the state retirement age, ( 60 for the woman and 65 for the man.)

These are the older pensioners who have been getting it for years by the way.

The only allowance that comes into play otherwise , unless you again come under additional proviso,s is a widows pension, which has certain qualifications on being granted it, being over a certain age for one.

The url i was given by the pensions when getting my lastest forecast is :-

http://pensionservice.gov.uk/approachingretirement/home.asp

I allways ask about my wife if i die and was given full details of the widows allowances and the required qualifications.

Unfortunately the letter is back in the U.K. and i cannot quote the specifics off the top of my head, sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy

However, please go to the dedicated bereavement section url for all relevant information :-

http://www.directgov.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd...ved/DG_10018684

marshbags :o

For Attention of Admin

Might i respectfully request that this information / websites, possibly be considered for posting for access in the relevant section to facilitate repeated questionaires about this important issue which keep coming up on a regualr basis.

:D

Edited by marshbags

The figure quoted by the OP is a single persons allowance.

The full basic State Pension for 2007/08 is £87.30 for a single person (based on their own National Insurance record).

If you are like me you may qualify for additional allowances ( serps ect. ) which is then added to the above figure

The only way a married pension comes into play is when both are over the state retirement age, ( 60 for the woman and 65 for the man.)

The only allowance that comes into play otherwise , unless you again come under additional proviso,s is a widows pension, which has certain qualifications on being granted it, being over a certain age for one.

I allways ask about my wife if i die and was given full details of the widows allowances and the required qualifications.

Unfortunately the letter is back in the U.K. and i cannot quote the specifics off the top of my head, sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy

However, please go to the dedicated bereavement section url for all relevant information :-

For Attention of Admin

Might i respectfully request that this information / websites, possibly be considered for posting for access in the relevant section to facilitate repeated questionaires about this important issue which keep coming up on a regualr basis.

Thanks Marshbags and taijitu,

It must be mad cow's disease playing up again because I am more confused than ever. :D

Marshabgs, if what you say is correct and no 'married allowance' is paid in respect of wives who are under retirement age, can you or someone explain the OP's statement:

I also completed the paperwork for the married mans allowance and sent it to the UK 4th Jan 2008. This is worth £52.30 at today’s value or 60% of the basic pension I am entitled to which is £87.30

I am assuming the OPs wife is not of retirement age. (maybe I'm wrong?)

The only allowance that comes into play otherwise , unless you again come under additional provisos is a widows pension, which has certain qualifications on being granted it, being over a certain age for one.

I respectfully suggest that there is no such pension as a married pension. When both spouses reach normal retirement age, each of the two spouses is entitled to a personal and basic UK State Pension which depend on previous NI contibutions. Should, for example, once spouse be under the normal retirement age, the other spouse who has reached normal retirement age will recieve a Supplementary Pension.

I am a 'pensioner' of only two years and I am not what you call an 'older pensioner'. I receive a frozen Basic State Pension and a Supplementary Pension (60% of the basic) for my Thai wife who has not reached normal UK retirement age. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a widow's pension. Please refer to my previous posting on this matter. Age isn't relevant, other than the normal retirement age for a woman. A Bereavement Benefit (and a funeral allowance) is paid initially and when the widow reaches normal retirement age, she will receive a Basic UK State Pension. The 'provisos' that you mention are simple:

1. The husband is certified as being dead

2. The husband was receiving a State Pension prior to his death

Nothing more.....nothing less. Thank you.

:o

A reference to years gone Not today.

On reflection perhaps i should have kept my knowledge on this part to myself as it was only meant as a by gone comment ( as was )

The only allowance that comes into play otherwise , unless you again come under additional provisos is a widows pension, which has certain qualifications on being granted it, being over a certain age for one.

I respectfully suggest that there is no such pension as a married pension. When both spouses reach normal retirement age, each of the two spouses is entitled to a personal and basic UK State Pension which depend on previous NI contibutions. Should, for example, once spouse be under the normal retirement age, the other spouse who has reached normal retirement age will recieve a Supplementary Pension.

I am a 'pensioner' of only two years and I am not what you call an 'older pensioner'. I receive a frozen Basic State Pension and a Supplementary Pension (60% of the basic) for my Thai wife who has not reached normal UK retirement age. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a widow's pension. Please refer to my previous posting on this matter. Age isn't relevant, other than the normal retirement age for a woman. A Bereavement Benefit (and a funeral allowance) is paid initially and when the widow reaches normal retirement age, she will receive a Basic UK State Pension. The 'provisos' that you mention are simple:

1. The husband is certified as being dead

2. The husband was receiving a State Pension prior to his death

Nothing more.....nothing less. Thank you.

Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy for the confusion.

This is for pensioners of years gone by and not present times, sorry for the misleading statement. and i should have expanded on this.

The man got his at 65 and the woman got hers at 60, they were paid at the time a married couples pension allowance which as you rightly point out was less than adding the 2 together

As i,ve stated in previous topics on this subject and informed the threads accordingly There is now no such thing as a married pension

I know there is no married pension and hasn,t been for sometime as i enquired about this on my first pension forecast 3 years ago and was told then the only support a woman gets if you die is a widows entitlement as laid out in the bereavement section. A widows bereavement allowance and i quote from the second url i have posted.

Bereavement Allowance

After you're widowed you may be able to claim Bereavement Allowance, the taxable weekly benefit paid to you for up to 52 weeks from the date of death of your husband, wife or civil partner.

If you have dependant children you may qualify for a Widows Parent Allowance

Widowed Parent's Allowance

If you're a parent whose husband, wife or civil partner has died and you have a dependent child or young person (aged 16 and under 20) for whom you receive Child Benefit, you may be able to get Widowed Parent's Allowance (WPA).

If posters will please download the url,s they will find all the relevant information they may want to know about.

They are both updated and are really informative on all pension and possible allowance payments in general.

There is also a contact facility via phone, fax or email and you can make direct enquiries via any one of these methods.

The url for this is :-

http://pensionservice.gov.uk/contactus/home.asp

May i politely suggest members go to the url,s and find out first hand about their personal needs ect. as different information is confusing everyone even more.

This is obvious even from what Taijitu and myself have posted with the use of differing terminologies.

This was my main reason for posting them in the first place , going on past threads which also offered different versions of what may be.

To recap them.

For general pension enquiries.

Bereavement, widows ect.

http://pensionservice.gov.uk/contactus/home.asp

To contact them for direct enquiries

Please make individual enquiries and only use other observations as a possible guide as it may differ according to your personal details and qualifications.

Remember also things change from time to time on what you are entitled to, so again the direct route is the best way to go.

IMHO of course.

No offence taken by the way Taijitu, it was my personal use of terminology that was wrong, and thanks for highlighting what appeared to be conflicting information.

Assuring everyone of my best intentions as always.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

The figure quoted by the OP is classed as single qualifiers / persons allowance, ( You do not get extra on this basic pension hence my term, " single qualifiers " even if you are married )

For Attention of Admin

Thanks Marshbags and taijitu,

It must be mad cow's disease playing up again because I am more confused than ever. :D

Marshabgs, if what you say is correct and no 'married allowance' is paid in respect of wives who are under retirement age, can you or someone explain the OP's statement:

I also completed the paperwork for the married mans allowance and sent it to the UK 4th Jan 2008. This is worth £52.30 at today’s value or 60% of the basic pension I am entitled to which is £87.30

I am assuming the OPs wife is not of retirement age. (maybe I'm wrong?)

Perhaps the OP can be more explicit.

He quotes 87.30 pounds Sterling which is the basic pension for men providing you have paid all the required stamps and have the required qualifying years.

If they are less, it could be they make the difference up via a supplementary pension and this may apply in his case ????

I,ve posted 3 url,s that can be downloaded that should be useful, along with contact details in Post 19

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Perhaps the OP can be more explicit.

He quotes 87.30 pounds Sterling which is the basic pension for men providing you have paid all the required stamps and have the required qualifying years.

If they are less, it could be they make the difference up via a supplementary pension and this may apply in his case ????

I,ve posted 3 url,s that can be downloaded that should be useful, along with contact details in Post 19

marshbags

The OP said in his opening post:

"This is worth £52.30 at today's value or 60% of the basic pension I am entitled to which is £87.30 after 44 years stamps"

Surely he can't be more explicit than that?

The OP said in his opening post:

"This is worth £52.30 at today's value or 60% of the basic pension I am entitled to which is £87.30 after 44 years stamps"

Surely he can't be more explicit than that?

Oh dear you nit picker you. Two times now......:o

As the O.P. is laying his experience out for the benefit of others.

It would also be beneficial if he would be willing to, share why he only qualifies for the percentage given.

Yes, before you add yet another gem , you,ve already answered that one, buttttttttttttt

Perhaps the O.P. can share the reason given by the pensions department as per his letter / communication.

Just maybe others are in a simialr situation and would benefit, should they be in similar circumstances and be forwarned or indeed encouraged that they can at least get a percentage of the pension.

I hope others find some of my information useful as you appear not see any of it. :D

marshbags :D

This site sums things up well:

http://www.the-retirement-site.co.uk/info/ref/rbens00.html

and confirms there is no married pension rate, but a woman over retirement age can get a pension of up to 60% based on her husbands contributions.

TO go back a bit to Mobi I think that Adult Dependency Increase (ADI) is not the same as this payment. I still think that after 2010 a married man will get an extra 60% if his wife is over retirement age (and all payments made etc etc). The ADI is being cancelled after 2010.

To quote the relevant part of the above web site:

"2007/2008

Current pension rates

A man or a woman who has paid full rate national insurance contributions for 90% of their working lives will receive the 100% pension at their state retirement age, 65 for a man 60 for a woman born before 5.4.50.

The current 100% pension is £87.30 per week.

It can be paid weekly by order book, monthly or every 13 weeks into a bank or building society account.

A married woman who has not paid more than about 23 years of contributions will get a pension based on her husbands record when he is 65 and she is 60. If she has more qualifying years than that she will get more pension when she reaches 60 and will keep the higher amount for life.

The current married woman's pension is £52.30

/endquote

• 2 weeks later...

Just by chance I stumbled on this topic started by Peter Bysouth; it appears to have given me an answer to one of the questions I have posed to the International Pension Service about extra benefit. Apart from being very slow to respond, answers from them are not what I would call helpful.

I am an Englishman living in Pattaya, I intend to marry my Thai fiance (she is not of retirement age) sometime in the next couple of months. I currently get a UK State pension which is enhanced by an additional amount based on earnings and graduated retirement benefit.

My original questions were -

1. Will I be entitled to extra pension benefit?

2. If so, what is it called?

3. If so, how much is it?

Their answers were -

1. May be entitled to claim.

2. No reply.

3. 60%.

I then asked -

Is it 60% of the basic pension only, or of my enhanced one (I gave them details)?

So far, no reply to this last.

Maybe someone here could help me with answers to questions number 2 and 3 please.

I haven't read everyting in every post but I might be able to clarify some of the points made, based on what a friend has just gone though (he got payment conformation today) claiming for himself (retired) and his wife who is much younger than him.

Firstly there isn't a 'married pension' any longer but there is a 'dependents allowance'. To qualify for this the dependent can be a spouse, partner, or any other person totaly dependent on the retiree who is earning less than £80 per week. If the dependent earns more than £80 the retiree can't claim. It isn't means tested based on the retiree's income so it's not affected by any private pension, serps, etc he might have, and you don't have to live in the UK to qualify.

Anybody who is already retired or will retire before April 2010 can claim this allowance and it will continue to be paid untill 2020 when it will be stopped.

Anybody retiring after 2010 will not be entitled to any dependants allowance at any time.

As for a widows pension, unless the rules have changed along with all the other recent changes, they were told that a widow qualified for a widows pension providing she was over 45 when her husband died and was dependant on him. I think it is also means tested in some way though.

Any widow who doesn't qualify for a pension in her own right (eg; not enough contributions) will be entitled to a basic pension based on her husbands contributions once she has reached retirement age herself.

I have scanned a letter that I got from the pensions department and I am trying to upload it but I am having a lot of problems doing so.

Basically it says that I am elegible to receive £87.30 and an extra £52,30 for a married woman claiming on her husbands insurance.

If my wife has never lived in the UK she will not be able to apply for her own NI number and be able to claim a pension on my record.

I have been uploading this 2 mb file in my computer to Thaivisa for nearly 5 minutes and it is still not complete. I will try again later during a quieter time of day or night and if I get lucky I will post it then.

Anybody who is already retired or will retire before April 2010 can claim this allowance and it will continue to be paid untill 2020 when it will be stopped.

Anybody retiring after 2010 will not be entitled to any dependants allowance at any time.

Any widow who doesn't qualify for a pension in her own right (eg; not enough contributions) will be entitled to a basic pension based on her husbands contributions once she has reached retirement age herself.

This is exactly how I read the information on the relevant websites. As I will not reach 65 until after 2010, my wife will not be entitled to anything until she reaches retiriment age.

And for those, such as the OP, and Taijitu who are currently receiving an allowance foir their wives, may have it stopped in 2020 unless their wives are then of retirment age.

If my wife has never lived in the UK she will not be able to apply for her own NI number and be able to claim a pension on my record.

We have had people post similar information before and it is clearly wrong, and you are being misled by an official in the UK who doesn't understand his own rules.

The OP and Taijitu are both receiving allowances for their wives who have not lived in the UK. The OP even quotes from the letter he received advising him that his wife is going to be allocated an NI number.

I suggest you strongly challenge what you are being told.

We have had people post similar information before and it is clearly wrong, and you are being misled by an official in the UK who doesn't understand his own rules.

The OP and Taijitu are both receiving allowances for their wives who have not lived in the UK. The OP even quotes from the letter he received advising him that his wife is going to be allocated an NI number.

I suggest you strongly challenge what you are being told.

As Mobi said your wife is entitled to a National Insurance number and you can claim the dependants allowance for her even if she has never lived in the UK but I believe that you must have reached 65 and claim your state pension before a National Insurance number will be allowcated to your wife. She would also be able to claim a state pension in her own right on the back of your contributions after you have died.

A problem might occour for people like Mobi and myself who don't retire until after April 2010. We wouldn't be entitled to the dependants allowance but our wives would be entitled to a pension in the same way after we had died. To claim this though they would need a National Insurance number. Idon't think they could apply for one after we had died and I'm not sure if they would be issued with one beforehand if we're not living in the UK as I believe the UK will only issue a number to somebody living abroad if it's necessary to complete a claim. Maybe somebody else knows the answer and can tell us the best time to apply, or how our wives can get a number.