Factors For Getting A Job

merlin1

It seems that getting a teaching in Thailand doesn't quite follow the same patterns as in the West. I get the sense that Woody Allen's maxim that "80% of life is just showing up" may well apply to teaching here.

As a rank newbie, I'm curious how members would rank the relative importance of 1) an impressive resume 2) 'interviewability' 3) and the related notion of looking the part complete with nice duds, good looking, etc. 4) some personal connection with other teachers in the school

Any thoughts on this? Obviously, this will vary depending on the job but there might be some interesting patterns.

thanks,

Merlin1

dear newbie... it's a sad fact of life that all one needs to become an elt in most of the schools in the los are the following..

one head - preferably not pierced in any way & not sporting too much hair... or too little...

one body with two arms (keep those tattoos hidden) & two legs...

a brain is an optional extra but it does help to distinguish you from the rest of the herd...

a nice shirt, tie, slacks & shiny shoes will see you sailing thru an interview provided you don't have a thick geordie accent...

oh.. almost forgot... some kind of tefl certificate helps... you could just buy one but as most courses just about guarantee you'll pass their course... hey why not come by one honestly...

good luck... :o

The last part, having connections with some of the existing teachings at the school, probably doesn't apply to a newbie. However, it really helped me to get my current job, only my second one in Thailand.

The other factors are all signficant, even essential, at least to some degree. A big failure in any one of them would eliminate most candidates, at least at schools where you'd want to work. A school that is willing to employ a sloppily dressed teacher with an almost non-existent resume, etc., - like the case Harry Palmer mentions - is probably a school to avoid.

Arywen, never mind the sexist brute. I think anything other than earrings would be attention-grabbing in a non-positive way- certainly in an interview, I'd remove it if possible. When they don't know you, the ONLY thing they have to judge you by (and I mean this- the ONLY THING) is your appearance. If you come in with paperwork from here to the moon they have no real way of evaluating it (except by weight) in most schools except to realize you have a degree plus X amount of experience.

I posted something like this before on Ajarn, so I'll revamp it now:

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN THE INTERVIEW:

1. Appearance.

2. Appearance.

3. Appearance. No really, appearance.

4. Being more or less on time and willing to waste however much time it is jumping through hoops or waiting for the man who really has decision making power to meet with you (if he can be located).

5. Photographs. Required in almost any job application situation, unlike Western countries where such a requirement would be illegal. Appearance.

6. Paperwork out the wazoo. Best to come with copies of BOTH your degree certificate and transcripts, plus TEFL if any, and resume, and passport, and police record, etc., etc., etc....

7. Smile, smile, smile. And appearance.

8. For a man: dark slacks, light LONG-SLEEVED shirt [wear an undershirt to control that underarm problem], dark conservative Thai, dark socks, decent shoes. Belt! No jacket necessary. For a lady: Full dress or light blouse and dark skirt. NO pants (not even a smart business suit) and if it's a dress make sure it has at least short sleeves and shoulders. Hemline below the knee, please. For both: Visible skin except for the top of the head should be as hair-free as possible. Hair length should be especially conservative for a man.

9. A white (we're talking Caucasian) face- many apologies to those who object to racism, but hey, appearance.

10. It helps if you can actually speak a little English, but in many places it doesn't matter if you're not a native speaker. Appearance.

11. Be pleasant. These folks are aware they may have to spend a lot of time with you and if you're not reliable cover for your classes. Make them want to work with you. Ignore or gloss over even insurmountable-seeming incomprehensibility in their English language ability ["Do you know how to teach renial equations?" or annoying social dysfunctions ["Ha ha! You so fat!"].

12. Appear willing to put up with anything. They want you to sit at a desk in the hall next to the rankest boys' bathroom in the school? Sure! English "summer" camp in October for no extra pay? Ok! Pay only 25k a month and no paid holidays? Why not? After all, if you get a better offer you can always take it- but no offers means no jobs- and this one's not going to run away all that quickly.

I'm suire I'll think of some more later, but it's time to teach- and I'll also get to work on a list of things that important for KEEPING a job (which is another kettle of fish).

"Steven"

The guys that i know that went into teaching all had the same qualities,

Drunks that where broke and did not want to go back to their own country.

I hate to say it, but this rings true in many cases. Many 'English teachers' I have met in Thailand are only doing it to 'tide them over,' until that big business oportunity comes along. Even on www.ajarn.com I read a small section that gave advice on how step up and out of teaching into something better. It suggested that by teaching an influencial person, one could get his foot in the door toward a better job.

If you are considering teaching as a career, it should be because you really want to teach.

Thanks for the details, IJWT/Steven. By the sounds of it, appearance and personality can make up for many sins, which is more or less what I've heard. Gotta work on that personality, I guess.

This is totally unrelated, but what does this emoticon mean: :o ?