Engine Upgrade On The Vios

snowflake

Just came back from the local Toyota dealer where I looked at the VIOS.. (Yes I like that little car)...

The manager is a friend of mine and he told me to wait as there will be an engine upgrade coming next month... I know you are all to posh for it but if someone out there likes it (like I do) wait til mid february... It will come after the new ALTIS comes on the 1st.

I was told that it was a new engine/upgrade. Nothing was said about the body but I would assume it would be the same. He did say it would be more powerful but I now think that it will just be adjusted to the new E20 fuel that is coming soon.

You would not hear anything in the press since the new corolla will come out next month and nothing will be printed but that... Wants them to buy one of those yes?

Ok, just came back from toyota Dealer.

They say like this:

E10 (the current model) same price as advertise with COUPON OF 35,000 baht (you can choose if to discount it from the price of the car or take insurance,spoiler,etc etc.

E20 (coming within few days) will be MORE EXPENSIVE and COUPON OF 5000 Baht.

Now,what do you think?Is there any difference between E10 to the E20 ?

Of course I keep on mind that they might be lieing about prices and coupons..

Toyota dealer in Pattaya showed me the sales book which states the current E10 model has a 15,000 baht coupon which they use to give you the 'free' options and you can't use it to discount the car price. The other 20k of your 35k is the insurance.

New E20 model they may not have any coupons and won't include insurance.

The E10 will become cheaper when the E20 comes out to get rid of the remaining models in stock.

Mitsubishi and Honda are also bringing out new models presumably also based on the E20 engine.

Didn't know they had 91 gasohol, only ever seen 95 gasohol around Pattaya and Rayong.

So, will it be cheaper?

Yesterday I called the head office of toyota (bkk) and the guy really didnt wanted to tell me details about the E-20 promotion (the value of the coupon that toyotta will give customers when buying new one, today its 35K baht),however he did talk about the tax thing you mention(plus) but claimed (I could feel that he make it up..but not sure) that the E-10 is already after discount as toyota lowered the price of the E-10 already and the E-20 will remain at the same price for customers..

Who knows..

BTW- I did saw that Honda took off from the show room the Honda Jazz and City.

Is there any "spy" picture of how the new city will looks like?

So, will it be cheaper?

Yesterday I called the head office of toyota (bkk) and the guy really didnt wanted to tell me details about the E-20 promotion (the value of the coupon that toyotta will give customers when buying new one, today its 35K baht),however he did talk about the tax thing you mention(plus) but claimed (I could feel that he make it up..but not sure) that the E-10 is already after discount as toyota lowered the price of the E-10 already and the E-20 will remain at the same price for customers..

Who knows..

BTW- I did saw that Honda took off from the show room the Honda Jazz and City.

Is there any "spy" picture of how the new city will looks like?

My reliable sources within Toyota (reliable enough for me to place an order earlier this week) told me that E10s of "current" models are being produced through February, and E20 production will begin in March. My sources are with Toyota, not with a Toyota dealer.

However, as of 2 weeks ago Toyota dropped MSRP on all of its models, including E10s, to remain price competitive with Mazda, Honda, etc., which already have their tax-reduced E20 models on the market. Last week I walked into K Motors and another dealer, and was immediately handed the older, higher Toyota price sheet. Luckily, Bara was more honest and had already given me the latest price sheet, with the newer, lower prices.

As an added inducement to move the existing inventory of E10s, the incentives (aka "coupon" and "free accessories/services/insurance") are indeed greater on the E10s than on the E20s. IMHO, the value of the incentives on an E10 exceeds my anticipated cost should I later decide to tune my E10 engine to allow use of E20. That tuning cost is quoted at Bht7k, if I want it done now.

But the big question-

Is it worth it to wait for the E-20 ? after all I'm going to be with the car for at least 5 years so need to think about the future,especielly that I'm not in hurry.

2)will the E-20 will get some change in the design?

(and its a big question,you dont want to buy a car that after 1 month will have new shape/desgin..right?) .

But the big question-

Is it worth it to wait for the E-20 ? after all I'm going to be with the car for at least 5 years so need to think about the future,especielly that I'm not in hurry.

(and its a big question,you dont want to buy a car that after 1 month will have new shape/desgin..right?) .

I saw an article in the BKK Post last week or so that mentioned how many PTT stations presently sell E20. I recall the number was approximately 20. Whatever the number was, it was insignificant (and I try to buy at Shell anyway). I also took a peek at the current price of E10 vs. E20. The difference was insignificant (but who knows what it'll be in the future?).

Very good "big question". I was fortunate enough to have my source confirm that, for the model I have ordered, there is no cosmetic change, just the engine change. Nevertheless, it certainly is a matter to consider and inquire about.

But the big question-

I saw an article in the BKK Post last week or so that mentioned how many PTT stations presently sell E20. I recall the number was approximately 20. Whatever the number was, it was insignificant (and I try to buy at Shell anyway). I also took a peek at the current price of E10 vs. E20. The difference was insignificant (but who knows what it'll be in the future?).

Very good "big question". I was fortunate enough to have my source confirm that, for the model I have ordered, there is no cosmetic change, just the engine change. Nevertheless, it certainly is a matter to consider and inquire about.

Yes i have just ordered an E10 with alot of options (free).

The saving was good and i am not worried about the engine mod (and thats all it is by the way) as it is just a tweek of the valve timing which can be done anytime in the future. There will be no body mods as the new vios hasnt been out a year yet.

I say order one now and save save save. Just do what i did and load it up with desirable options, so when you come to sell in 5 years or so it is more desirable then.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
My reliable sources within Toyota (reliable enough for me to place an order earlier this week) told me that E10s of "current" models are being produced through February, and E20 production will begin in March. My sources are with Toyota, not with a Toyota dealer.

Your source is indeed reliable as the other day my local dealer where I've ordered the E20 told me they won't be produced until March and the E10 will continue to be produced through February.

Presumably they received a good number of orders for the E10 based on the price drop and the options.

My dealer also said that the E20 will be the same price as the E10.

Your source is indeed reliable as the other day my local dealer where I've ordered the E20 told me they won't be produced until March and the E10 will continue to be produced through February.

Presumably they received a good number of orders for the E10 based on the price drop and the options.

My dealer also said that the E20 will be the same price as the E10.

Yes Toyota phoned me today to say it will ABOUT middle of March (i paid my deposit on the 16th of January). They seem popular don't they?

• 2 months later...