Australian Statutory Declaration

SoloFlyer

This probably wont help but I went to the Australia Embassy in Bangkok a few years back, asked for the relevant Stat Dec form, filled it out... it was a declaration of income statement; then gave it to the Thai lady behind the counter, so she could get someone to witness my signature, who promptly read it carefully and told me it wouldn't do me any good.

I managed to stay polite and said I would still like to have it witnessed as there was no such thing as too much paperwork in Thailand.

She became quite angry and gave it back to me and told me not to waste the embassies time.

I can see why they have a 3 meter wall topped with barbed wire around the place.

I understand that the Australian Embassy has instructed it’s honorary Consuls not to issue statuary declarations, letters of reference, witness signatures etc. You now have to go to Bangkok and pay through the nose, not very nice for an 84 year old on a small pension . As far as I can see most other Consuls in CM still provide the service.

I understand that the Australian Embassy has instructed it’s honorary Consuls not to issue statuary declarations, letters of reference, witness signatures etc. You now have to go to Bangkok and pay through the nose, not very nice for an 84 year old on a small pension . As far as I can see most other Consuls in CM still provide the service.

It's a load of fascist rubbish. A statuary declaration form is merely a piece of paper, a form, on which you make a statement and then take to one of your betters to have your signature witnessed.

It can be the greatest farrago of lies and innuendo ever but THAT DOES NOT MATTER!

The job of the witness is only to acknowledge, to prove, that you are the signatory.

It's a load of fascist rubbish. A statuary declaration form is merely a piece of paper, a form, on which you make a statement and then take to one of your betters to have your signature witnessed.

It can be the greatest farrago of lies and innuendo ever but THAT DOES NOT MATTER!

The job of the witness is only to acknowledge, to prove, that you are the signatory.

you got that in one. i would not get anything wittnessed by the embassy unless it states i have to in which case that what the consul is there for. the consul will get paid for this so it might be a cost cutting exercise.

you got that in one. i would not get anything wittnessed by the embassy unless it states i have to in which case that what the consul is there for. the consul will get paid for this so it might be a cost cutting exercise.

What about having it witnessed by a "public notary" i.e. a lawyer ? Would that be acceptable.

this is a list of who can sign

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/...onsignatorylist

Who can sign a statutory declaration when I'm overseas?

NB: A Statutory Declaration may be made outside of Australia before any of the prescribed people listed in Part 1 or Part 2 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 as amended who are authorised to practise under a law in force in a State or Territory of Australia.

Please note that Statutory Declarations made outside of Australia may also be made before an Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Australian “Consular Fees Act 1985.” )

got the above from pilot site

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/faq_fcl.htm#fcl9

also

http://www.themara.com.au/Online/FAQViewAn...70&FAQID=32

clear as mud

found on http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Consular_P4.html

The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. In particular this was to do with getting married, but, surely a Stat Dec is a Stat Dec?

So although the charter of an Australian Consular Officer includes the witnessing of Statutory Declarations, it's a requirement of the Thai Government that it be done at the Embassy in Bangkok.(I didn't research other nationalities, but assume they'd be the same)

BUT "They will not accept declarations from Australia"? <deleted>? If I'm not mistaken, the land on which an embassy stands is considered to be the soil of that country, therefore a Statutory Declaration made at the Australian Embassy IN Bangkok would legally be from Australia. I must be misunderstanding something... :D:o:D:D

sorry to get off topic

The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. In particular this was to do with getting married, but, surely a Stat Dec is a Stat Dec?

So although the charter of an Australian Consular Officer includes the witnessing of Statutory Declarations, it's a requirement of the Thai Government that it be done at the Embassy in Bangkok.(I didn't research other nationalities, but assume they'd be the same)

BUT "They will not accept declarations from Australia"? <deleted>? If I'm not mistaken, the land on which an embassy stands is considered to be the soil of that country, therefore a Statutory Declaration made at the Australian Embassy IN Bangkok would legally be from Australia. I must be misunderstanding something... :D:o:D:D

sorry to get off topic

You're spot on topic warfie. There is a major misunderstanding as to the function of a statuary declaration here.

The sole function of the witness is to acknowledge that you're the person who signed it. There is absolutely no reason for him or her to read it and it would be grossly impolite for them to do so and even more so to comment on the contents.

Should that document appear before a court or any other official body at a later date then you cannot deny that the statement is yours.

That is the sole function of a statuary declaration.

It's known as a notarized statement in the US.

A Notary Public witnesses your signature of the document (any document), affixes a seal, signs and dates it.

The US Consuls here perform the same service (and charge dearly for it).

It is simply a legal certification recognized by any authority (courts, governmental agencies, etc.).

The contents of the document thus certified is irrelevant; they are just witnessing your signature.

I understand that the Australian Embassy has instructed it's honorary Consuls not to issue statuary declarations, letters of reference, witness signatures etc. You now have to go to Bangkok and pay through the nose, not very nice for an 84 year old on a small pension . As far as I can see most other Consuls in CM still provide the service.

Quite right! CM's current Hon Australian Consul is a real star who goes out of his way - and beyond his brief - to help Oz nationals in trouble - as far away as Burma, Laos and Cambodia.

A close chum of his tells me that he has been wrapped over the knuckles for being TOO helpful over matters like this, and people chasing essential red tape must indeed now go down to the Embassy in Bangers. A great shame and not an incentive for anyone involved.

sorry to get off topic

Sorry to tell you, but you are mistaken. The land upon which an Embassy is built is not on that nations 'soil'. There are inviolabilties relating to Embassies and Consulates. The soil issue is a popular misconception.

sorry to get off topic

You're spot on topic warfie. There is a major misunderstanding as to the function of a statuary declaration here.

The sole function of the witness is to acknowledge that you're the person who signed it. There is absolutely no reason for him or her to read it and it would be grossly impolite for them to do so and even more so to comment on the contents.

Should that document appear before a court or any other official body at a later date then you cannot deny that the statement is yours.

That is the sole function of a statuary declaration.

To avoid to any mis-understanding about the nature of a Statutory Declaration. The precise wording will differ, depending upon which of the States of Australia the Declaration is being effected in. There is a federal (all States declaration) as well.

Typically, the wording might be something like this;

" I........, do hereby, sincerely and solemnly declare that this is my true name and handwriting and that the contents of this, my declaration, are true and correct in every respect "

These words are repeated or read by the person making the declaration who will then sign and then, and then only, will the Commisissioner for Declarations ( or other qualified officer) add his or her signature.

It is , in fact, much more than a simple witnessing of a signature.

Cheers

Edited by SwaziBird

Sorry to tell you, but you are mistaken. The land upon which an Embassy is built is not on that nations 'soil'. There are inviolabilities relating to Embassies and Consulates. The soil issue is a popular misconception.

no no no.... THANK YOU :D for telling me that I'm wrong. I'd prefer to be corrected, than hold on to misinformation, any day!

But it's such "common knowledge" wonder where it came from... :o

Edited by warfie