Visa Exempt Stamp To Non-im O Visa In Thailand

Can't find a definite answer to this.

In a few weeks I'll hit 50 :o .

I currently have a 30 day Visa On Arrival, aka Visa Exempt Stamp, which runs out a week or so before my birthday. Can I borderrun for another VOA and convert this to a non-im O retirement in Thailand on my birthday, or do I have to travel to a consulate (Penang is closest) to get a Tourist Visa, which I believe can be converted by immigration?

My 800k has been festering away in a Thai bank for three months, so that is not an issue.

Whilst I'm thinking about this, do the immigration officers at the border crossings have the authority to issue non-im O visas and annual extensions?

And another off-topic question, why, after getting stamped out of Thailand do I have to get stamped into another country before returning to Thailand? Seems to waste a lot of time and presumably distorts the tourist stats?

The rule is that application must be made with 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to enter stamp - from the "about" a week or so comment perhaps it would be best to obtain a tourist visa to be sure you have time.

Believe all major immigration points can convert/change for valid reasons but it may not be the actual border post.

Because that is the law. Visas are for travelers - if you live in Thailand you are expected to extend your stay on a yearly basis as you plan to do - then there will be no need for border runs.

And another off-topic question, why, after getting stamped out of Thailand do I have to get stamped into another country before returning to Thailand? Seems to waste a lot of time and presumably distorts the tourist stats?

If you do not get the entry stamp into another country you have not left Thailand.

If you do not get the entry stamp into another country you have not left Thailand.

If I travel by air and presumably also by sea to Europe, I wouldn't get a stamp. I wonder what would happen if I got stamped out in Chalong, Phuket and then came back after a few hours on a yacht. Would I receive another 30 days?

Just seems another silly regulation, as once I have been stamped out at the Thai border, I have administratively left Thailand and require a new stamp to reenter, with all the associated rules. What difference does it make by walking the 100 metres to the Malaysian Immigration and obtaining an entry/exit stamp from Malaysia before heading back?

I wonder where this is defined and written down.

I believe the rule is to stop anyone leaving the other country illegally,

ie without passing through the immigration checks.

It seems to apply on all the land borders in the region, not just with Thailand.

If I travel by air and presumably also by sea to Europe, I wouldn't get a stamp.

You would write down the flight number or vessel name on your departure card and the Thai immigration officer would write the same information on the exit stamp he puts in your passport.

--

Maestro

Can't find a definite answer to this.

I currently have a 30 day Visa On Arrival, aka Visa Exempt Stamp, which runs out a week or so before my birthday. Can I borderrun for another VOA and convert this to a non-im O retirement in Thailand on my birthday, or do I have to travel to a consulate (Penang is closest) to get a Tourist Visa, which I believe can be converted by immigration?

Seems nobody answered THIS question^^^. Can a VOA or 2 month tourist visa be converted to a Non-immigrant O so to obtain the retirement visa???

My retirement visa (my 3rd consecutive) needs renewing on 7th Feb but the 800,000 baht requirement will not mature until 5th April. So I have a 2-month "dead" period...hence the question...

I answered in post #2. A visa can be issued, or a visa changed if you have more than 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp and meet the requirements for extension of stay (for retirement that would mean 800k in a bank account or letter of 65k pension or combination). Cost is 2,000 baht.

Thanks lopburi3. Is the 21 days or more a hard and fast rule??? By my count I have 15 days until the one-year extension expires 7th Feb. Can a 60-day extension be granted? This would take me right up to the time the 800K matures.

Edited by kloghead

No a 60 day extension is only available to visit Thai wife or child.

I confess my ignorance Lopburi, how this 60 days extension works and who is entitled to get one?

My Non Immigrant O visa is expiring on next April, can I extend it for 60 days at the Immigration Office since I have Thai wife and Child?

Thanks for your time.

Yes you can - but it might be better to find a longer term solution, unless you only need for a short period - either a new multi entry non immigrant O visa or an extension of stay for one year at a time using the 40k per month income provision.

Yes you can - but it might be better to find a longer term solution, unless you only need for a short period - either a new multi entry non immigrant O visa or an extension of stay for one year at a time using the 40k per month income provision.

Yes, you're perfectly right, actually I had planned to go to Penang and get a multi-entry but if I can postpone the event it could be great.

Do you know the documents required by the Immigration in order to get that 60 days extension?

Do you have up-to-date info in regard of the documents I'll need to provide to the consulate in Penang in order to get a Non Immigrant O Multi-entry visa?

The year extension is out of question for now, also because I'm thinking to move back in Europe with the entire family within the end of this year, not sure yet though.

Thanks a million for your very prompt and accurate response.

Whilst I'm thinking about this, do the immigration officers at the border crossings have the authority to issue non-im O visas and annual extensions?

One thing you have to be very clear on: a 30 day entry permit is not a visa on arrival. They are different things with different rules. Visa on arrival is only available to a few countries that don't participate in the 30 day entry permit scheme, and I think is usually only valid for 15 days or so.

This is important to know because you cannot convert an entry permit to a visa. You can only convert a visa to a visa. So you need to get yourself a tourist visa outside of Thailand and do the conversion in Thailand, or just get the desired visa outside of Thailand if that happens to be available where you are heading.

Officers at border crossings don't have the authority to issue visas - you get visas outside of the country and they are inside the country. No idea about extensions.

Edited by stub

Wrong. You can obtain a non immigrant visa entry to start the extension of stay process from a visa exempt entry as long as you apply with 21 days or more remaining. Immigration has the authority to issue visas, as well as convert them.

Yes, you're perfectly right, actually I had planned to go to Penang and get a multi-entry but if I can postpone the event it could be great.

Do you know the documents required by the Immigration in order to get that 60 days extension?

Do you have up-to-date info in regard of the documents I'll need to provide to the consulate in Penang in order to get a Non Immigrant O Multi-entry visa?

The year extension is out of question for now, also because I'm thinking to move back in Europe with the entire family within the end of this year, not sure yet though.

Thanks a million for your very prompt and accurate response.

The wife and 1,900 baht with 4x6cm current photo:

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of census registration

4. Copy of the Thai national’s ID Card

5. Copy of marriage certificate or birth

certificate

Home register/Tabian Baan should be it I suspect.

You will need photos, marriage certificate/copy, copy of her ID card-signed/dated, they have asked for bank account information but has not always been required and no set amount seems to be asked for. If I were going would also take a brief letter from wife asking that a multi entry visa be issued as you plan to visit her (some Consulates have added that request in selected cases).

• 1 month later...
The wife and 1,900 baht with 4x6cm current photo:

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of census registration

4. Copy of the Thai national’s ID Card

5. Copy of marriage certificate or birth

certificate

Hi lopburi3,

at the end of march I'll try to obtain this extension and report the outcome.

With "Copy of applicant’s passport", do you mean the entire passport as we use to do for the year extension?

Thanks a lot :o

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back fro the Immigration Office in Phuket, I've got the 60days extension on my Non Immigrant O Visa as you suggested.

The only problem was that they wanted to see my wife and I was there alone, I've called her and she reached me, no big deal.

At the beginning they wanted to give me just 7 days, but I had a copy of the Order in Thai language, and I showed them the point 7.23

Happy to procrastinate the date of my trip to Penang for getting the new Visa.

Cheers everybody and special thanks to Lopburi3

Edited by Siriam