Aviation In Thailand

T_Dog

JetJock -- I've spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara, in fact was just there this weekend. Spitfire Aviation is great.

J

ThaiJon----Santa Barbara is a nice little airport and I use it mainly for commuting to LAX however I do most of my small airplane flying out of Santa Paula Airport which about a 40 minute drive south of SBA. I think any avid pilot type would really like Santa Paula Airport as it is a real airplane aficionado's type airport with alot of interesting old warbirds and experimental types. It is an expecially nice airport because it is uncontrolled and located right next to an aerobatic practice area so it is no problem to roll inverted while climbing out on a long downwind departure and be doing loops, rolls, etc. within minutes after takeoff. A couple of my pilot buddies and I had at one time planned on doing some general aviation flying when we were in LOS, but the more we looked into it for the type of flying we like to do, we decided that for the few months we spend there each year, it probably would not be worth the hassle. Since it appears that general aviation flying in Thailand is not very big, it may be that gliders and ultralights are perhaps an easier and less hassle way to get some air time there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The DA-42 is pretty sweet, except Theilert went bankrupt and there is an AD here in the US that requires an overhaul of the gear boxes every 300 hours... at a cost of nearly $20,000 :) .

Have you seen many DA-40's running around? That's a pretty sweet single. What about any Rutan Long EZ's? I met a couple guys in Santa Ynez this weekend who have 'em, very sweet planes.

What is it about piston engines and gear boxes that don't mix? Helio Couriers and some models of Piper Twins with geared engines were always problematic. 20 grand every 300 hours amounts to 67 bucks an hour just for that maintenance. Ouch!

• 3 weeks later...

shame ....

them zenith kits look fun!!

even the mosquito wud be a giggle but 4 hrs of flight times a bit lame.

350.000bt to get a license..is the the only price available?

anyone done it for less? and how was the 4 hour med and 3 hr pschological exams??

ef.

My wife and I went for a trial lesson each in an ultralite, with Bangkok Flight Academy. The airstrip was at Ongkarak, not far from Bangkok.

When you get there you wonder if you're in the right place! However, our instructor was really nice and professional - a pilot in the Royal Thai Airforce. It was a super experience and one that we're definitely going to repeat. You can get your license with them too, and it's not expensive.

The ultralite has no GPS, and at one point we got a little lost. No problem, we just swooped down and looked at the road signs!! You've got to love it.....

I was really put through my paces with many aerial maneuvers, and touch down and take off repeated 7 times over. Quite a surprise for my first lesson!

Have a look at their site:

Google Bangkok Flight Academy!

Not much action on this thread lately so thought I would share a link to a recent video of some really amazing flying by a 5 time Guiness record holder. Zoltan Veres Suggest that you don't try these stunts in your Cessna ! :)

Very nice! Great video, and if I caught it right, the camera was mounted on an aileron or spade for a few frames. Did you happen to notice that?

Thanks for livening up the thread. I've been on a few other forums watching the AF447 conjecture.....

Not much action on this thread lately so thought I would share a link to a recent video of some really amazing flying by a 5 time Guiness record holder. Zoltan Veres Suggest that you don't try these stunts in your Cessna ! :D

Wow, that's a guy that knows his plane. :)

The snap roll at 5 meters altitude is insane.

I could not resist passing this story on to my fellow aviators. As most of you probably know from the news last week, a Continental Airlines Captain died enroute on a flight from Brussels to Newark and the co-pilot and landed the aircraft successfully.

'Reminds me of story, years ago, when a Braniff (I think) B747 Captain died

enroute from Honolulu to Dallas. The copilot made a routine landing at

DFW, did the paper work, and drove home.

In one corner of Operations, a large group of Captains was huddled in a

corner, all marveling at how a CoPilot was able to land the huge aircraft

without the Captain's supervision.

In an opposite corner, a large group of First Officers was huddled, all

marvelling at how the CoPilot even noticed that the Captain was dead. '

:)

Video was good watching, went trhu it a few times after getting excited and missing the next bit....

ive been looking over the BFA site, 77.000 for The course includes 40 hours of theory and 20 hours flight training. On completion of the course, you will be qualified for the test for an Ultralight pilot licence from the Department of Aviation.

ultralight licence is one ive not seen.

student, recreational, private, commercial are all ive seen.

is this with regards to the vehicle or the pilot...?

umm, maybe i'll give em a call.

ef

Suggest that you don't try these stunts in your Cessna ! :)

Probably good advice, but when one of my friends lost the use of his legs after ditching in his Pitts S2A, he bought a Cessna Skymaster (fore and aft twin engine) and kept performing airshows. (Special couplings to allow use of arms on the rudders.) He did all the maneuvers except for snap rolls, and of course the roll rate was a lot slower than what the Stephens/Lazer derivatives are capable of.

Here is my hero Bob Hoover performing in the Rockwell Commander. I have had the pleasure to watch Mr. Hoover fly P51s, jets, Chipmunks, and the Sabreliner many times. Always was a great show. His book, "Forever Flying" is also a good insight into being a test pilot, airshow pilot, and aviator extraordinaire.

Here is my hero Bob Hoover performing in the Rockwell Commander. I have had the pleasure to watch Mr. Hoover fly P51s, jets, Chipmunks, and the Sabreliner many times. Always was a great show. His book, "Forever Flying" is also a good insight into being a test pilot, airshow pilot, and aviator extraordinaire.

I have watched Bob Hoover perform many times and agree with you totally. He is not only one of the best 'stick and rudder' pilots I have ever seen but also one of the most colorful and interesting characters in aviation. 'Forever Flying' is also one of my favorite aviation books and it would be on my strongly suggested reading list for anyone that has a love of aviation . :)

Here's an aviation-related article excerpt from the Bangkok Post. If anyone has seen the day's schedule for the airshow, please reply.

Air show will give Don Mueang new role

Bangkok Post July 4, 2009

Thailand will stage its first air show in almost a century of aviation industry later this month in an initial attempt to demonstrate the potential to host a fully-fledged international aviation event in the future.

Miss Siam, Thailand’s first privately owned civil aircraft, first took flight in 1932.

The show, scheduled from July 24-26, is also meant to support the government's plan to find new roles for Don Mueang Airport which has been left largely unused since the opening of Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport in 2006.

(See article for more text)

This month's event consists of four parts:

- Static displays of 70 aircraft, mostly corporate jets, light aircraft, helicopters.

- A flying show of 15 light aircraft including the vintage propeller plane Miss Siam.

- A seminar on topics including Don Mueang's readiness to support the industry; the future of aviation; becoming professional pilots and cabin attendants; Thailand's open-sky policy and unmanned aircraft technology.

- About 100 exhibition booths at Terminal II by airlines, operators, universities, pilot association and civil aviation institutes.

The event is open to the public free of charge.

Edited by T_Dog

About noon today, I saw what looked like a Diamond DA-42 Twin taking off from CNX. There aren't too many of these flying and am wondering if anyone else saw it or could clarify what it really was. There were a lot of aircraft flying today, but DA-42 with its T-tail is pretty distinctive.

Hi; Sorry for very late response. I was just checking my logbook and I was flying a Twin Star out of Chiang Mai on 20th Jan (at 1210).

It was the Platinum version, privately owned.

It was actually flying in and out of Chiang Mai throughout most of January and February this year.

Cheers

FF

• 2 weeks later...
bump..

Has anyone been to an airshow at Don Mueang? Is it worth the effort?

Will many of the Thai aircraft importers/manufacturers be there?

Is anyone planning to go to the air show at DMK this coming weekend?

I am flying out of DMK on Thursday, and found that the Amari Airport hotel is doing some pretty good rates (1000 Baht per night) so will stay Friday night and get 2 days of Airshow out of it.

Another point; does anyone know of any companies in LOS looking for experienced pilots? General Aviation would be nice, but would look at any option right now....

Cheers

FF

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that this Aviation thread slipped off the first page of the Sports, Hobbies & Activities forum so I decided to bump it up. I'm in Phuket and wondering if anyone is using the new private air field in Ap Po? Is it only for pilots who buy a lot in the development, or can one rent a plane there or base one there?

• 1 month later...
The DA-42 is pretty sweet, except Theilert went bankrupt and there is an AD here in the US that requires an overhaul of the gear boxes every 300 hours... at a cost of nearly $20,000 :) .

Have you seen many DA-40's running around? That's a pretty sweet single. What about any Rutan Long EZ's? I met a couple guys in Santa Ynez this weekend who have 'em, very sweet planes.

Ran across this video of the DA-42. Golly, no mention of the gearbox problems!

• 3 weeks later...

USAF Thunderbirds at Don Mueang!

I was surprised to see several F-16s flying low passes around the Lak Si area this morning, so I surfed around and just found out that the Thunderbirds will be performing at Don Mueang today and tomorrow (it's part of their current Asian Tour.) The airshow starts at 1300 on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 9-10. Gates open at noon. If you're driving north from the city, take the domestic/cargo terminal exit (there should be signs leading you to the airshow viewing area.)

I wonder why this wasn't mentioned in the Bangkok Post and/or the Nation? Or did I somehow miss the article?

Some photos and more info in case you're interested:

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=105072

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php...06&t=105368

Edited by solopilot

USAF Thunderbirds at Don Mueang!

I was surprised to see several F-16s flying low passes around the Lak Si area this morning, so I surfed around and just found out that the Thunderbirds will be performing at Don Mueang today and tomorrow (it's part of their current Asian Tour.) The airshow starts at 1300 on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 9-10. Gates open at noon. If you're driving north from the city, take the domestic/cargo terminal exit (there should be signs leading you to the airshow viewing area.)

I wonder why this wasn't mentioned in the Bangkok Post and/or the Nation? Or did I somehow miss the article?

Some photos and more info in case you're interested:

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=105072

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php...06&t=105368

I went to see the airshow today; hot, crowded and all taxis and buses where full on the way out, I walked all the way down to Vibavhadi Hospital before I found a taxi. I think I like planes too much...

The show was nice, I'll see if I upload some pictures later. While the F-16s where impressive and noisy but I think I was more amazed by the C-17 doing very unatural looking things for a plane of that size; it reminded me of the hipos dancing ballet in Disney's Fantasia. :)

Edited by AleG

• 2 months later...

For those living in Chiang Mai.... Anyone know what the three helicopters flying over the west side of the city have been surveying? They are not the usual Kaset machines, but look a bit higher performance. They usually follow the lead with about a km spacing at about 2000 AGL in the late afternoon. Been at it for about a week now.

Just a friendly reminder to any of my fellow pilots that may be holding an FAA issued pilot certificate and may be out of the USA and missed the notice, the FAA now requires all pilots to replace their paper airmen certificate with a counterfeit-resistant plastic certificate by March 31, 2010. After that date paper pilot certificates may no longer be used to exercise piloting privileges. Three years after this date, certain other paper airmen certificates, such as those for flight engineers and mechanics, may no longer be used to exercise the privileges authorized by those certificates. Updating your paper licenses to this new plastic certificate can be done on the FAA website for $2. per license.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a friendly reminder to any of my fellow pilots that may be holding an FAA issued pilot certificate and may be out of the USA and missed the notice, the FAA now requires all pilots to replace their paper airmen certificate with a counterfeit-resistant plastic certificate by March 31, 2010. After that date paper pilot certificates may no longer be used to exercise piloting privileges. Three years after this date, certain other paper airmen certificates, such as those for flight engineers and mechanics, may no longer be used to exercise the privileges authorized by those certificates. Updating your paper licenses to this new plastic certificate can be done on the FAA website for $2. per license.

jetjock... Thanks for that post. I used the FAA website to input an address change to my Thailand location and received my certificate today in the mail. There is no charge if you are changing address at the same time as updating to the approved version and getting a non SS-based certificate number. I'll keep my paper copy too though, as I had Chuck Yeager sign the back of it after I attended one of his speeches years ago.

Sadly seems that it is more a property development than an active airport- if you want to fly then buy a lot.

I noticed that this Aviation thread slipped off the first page of the Sports, Hobbies & Activities forum so I decided to bump it up. I'm in Phuket and wondering if anyone is using the new private air field in Ap Po? Is it only for pilots who buy a lot in the development, or can one rent a plane there or base one there?