Breaking A Trip And Visa Question

Hello, a quick question:

A group of mine has planned a trip to Thailand from the 28th of January to the 29th of Feb (31 days)[Edit fixed!]. [We are all Students in Australia 22 years old.]

This extends our visa allowed by our Australian Passport which is 30 days.

We planned on making a short stop to Malaysia and back during that time. It is my understanding that the clock resets when you break a trip.

When applying for a visa on arrival, do we need to issue proof of our travels to Malaysia?

We have not booked these tickets, and plan to do so in Bangkok upon our arrival.

Is it true you need 'proof' of our trip to Malaysia in the form of tickets, otherwise we will not be allowed a visa?

This is something we dont have.

The Thai Consulate in Sydney was not specific.

Any help would be appreciated, im stressing a bit!

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

If it makes a difference, we land one and a half hours before midnight (in BK), implying that if we did overstay our visa (by not breaking the trip), it would be by a an hour or two; not days. Does this have any effect?

Edited by elafos

Hello, a quick question:

A group of mine has planned a trip to Thailand from the 29th of January to the 30th of Feb (31 days). [We are all Students in Australia 22 years old.]

We planned on making a short stop to Malaysia and back during that time. It is my understanding that the clock resets when you break a trip.

When applying for a visa on arrival, do we need to issue proof of our travels to Malaysia?

We have not booked these tickets, and plan to do so in Bangkok upon our arrival.

Is it true you need 'proof' of our trip to Malaysia in the form of tickets, otherwise we will not be allowed a visa?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

If it makes a difference, we land one and a half hours before midnight (in BK), implying that if we did overstay our visa, it would be by a an hour or two; not days. Does this have any effect?

1 You are not getting a Visa. You will get a 30 day Visa exempt entry.

2 You will not have a problem entering as you will have your ticket back to Australia.

3 You go to Malaysia and when you come back to Thailand you will get another 30 day entry.

4 Again, no problem as you will still have your return ticket to Australia.

Actually your trip is for 33 days, but you have no problem providing you have a return ticket to Australia.

Edited by Lite Beer

If you obtain a visa it allows 60 days stay so you would not have a problem. You seem to be planning to arrive without a visa and then obtain 30 day visa exempt stamps. The problem with that could be airline. If they want they could say you need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival to obtain a visa exempt stamp.

If you get on the flight Immigration at Bangkok is not likely to be a problem; and on your return from Malaysia you will get a new 30 day visa exempt stamp so you will not risk overstay.

You could avoid any possible problem by getting those tickets for Malaysia now and the price would probably be lower if flying discount.

you should have no problem....Feb has got only 29 days this year i

The fact that Feb has 29 days is irrelevant to as the OP is comin on the 28th Jan and her 30 days finish 27th Feb and then she is leaving on 29th....OP you will have no problem when you come back from Malayasia they will give you another 30 days no problem...i have done the trip loads and never have i been asked to show ticket...

You could avoid any possible problem by getting those tickets for Malaysia now and the price would probably be lower if flying discount.

Agreed. If somebody is flying with one of the low-cost carriers (and that's probably the case on many BKK-Malaysia routes), there's no real advantage to buying tickets in Bangkok. That airline's website will provide the best pricing, and that pricing tends to increase closer to the actual travel date.

If it makes a difference, we land one and a half hours before midnight (in BK), implying that if we did overstay our visa (by not breaking the trip), it would be by a an hour or two; not days. Does this have any effect?

[/quote

They dont mind or charge for 1 day overstay for exactly this reason..you will be fine,,

Thanks for the prompt responses, much appreciated.

There is no question of overstay - they plan a trip to Malaysia - the question is will the airline let them board the aircraft.

As for the airline, (Thai Airways departure from Sydney) this is an added complication. Ill ring them on the new day, and update you guys.

Thanks again.

If anyone has any experience with this secondary question, it would be much appreciated :o

Edited by elafos

There is no question of overstay - they plan a trip to Malaysia - the question is will the airline let them board the aircraft.

Lopburi come on you and i both know that she is going to be fine..she is coming here for a month she has a return ticket and they are going to Malaysia for a couple of days...what is the problem...there isnt one, plain and simple...so why make the girl panick..

OP absoloutely 100% fine...come over book ticket while you are here...go Malaysia, come back, fly home...have a nice trip..

Job Done.............next

Lopburi come on you and i both know that she is going to be fine..she is coming here for a month she has a return ticket and they are going to Malaysia for a couple of days...what is the problem...there isnt one, plain and simple...so why make the girl panick..

OP absoloutely 100% fine...come over book ticket while you are here...go Malaysia, come back, fly home...have a nice trip..

Your confidence soothes me :o

Thanks guys/girls

...they are going to Malaysia for a couple of days...OP absoloutely 100% fine...come over book ticket while you are here...

No problem, unless the check-in staff in Australia want to see some proof of their going to Malaysia. What makes you so sure that they will not want t see it?

--

Maestro

australia_thailand.pdf

Your confidence soothes me :o

Thanks guys/girls

I would call it overconfidence on bkkperson's behalf. Airlines can and do sometimes refuse to let you board the plane if you do not have a ticket out within 30 days. Some times they ask for it, some times they do not. Sometimes people are able to talk their way on, even though they do not have the ticket. Nothing is 100%. Why risk going to the airport and not being able to board the plane? What is an acceptable risk to you? 25% chance? 50% chance? Follow through with talking with Thai Airways and see what they say.

Only contribute to visa regulation information IF you know the rules ( and you don't ) Unless the lady has either an outbound or onward airticket or a tourist visa, she will not be uplifted by the airline. Lopburi3 knows his business.

Hello, a quick question:

A group of mine has planned a trip to Thailand from the 29th of January to the 30th of Feb (31 days). [We are all Students in Australia 22 years old.]

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

If it makes a difference, we land one and a half hours before midnight (in BK), implying that if we did overstay our visa, it would be by a an hour or two; not days. Does this have any effect?

2 You will not have a problem entering as you will have your ticket back to Australia.

3 You go to Malaysia and when you come back to Thailand you will get another 30 day entry.

Actually your trip is for 33 days, but you have no problem providing you have a return ticket to Australia.

Also incorrect information. The airticket out HAS to be within 30 days.

Hello, a quick question:

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

ํัํํํํํํํํัั Yes , I did not pick up on the 30 day thing, but even Lopburi said that Thai Immigration should be ok. The problem could be with the airline.

Hello, a quick question:

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

ํัํํํํํํํํัั Yes , I did not pick up on the 30 day thing, but even Lopburi said that Thai Immigration should be ok. The problem could be with the airline.

Absolutely will be an airline problem.

Absolutely will be an airline problem.

I think "absolutely" is a bit strong. I come in and out of BKK about 15 times each year. Sometimes on a return ticket within 30 days, sometimes on a return ticket with more than 30 days because I am making a trip to another country from BKK. I have a B visa, but they never look for it in my passport. I would say that only about 50% of the time do they say anything and want to see an outbound ticket when I am either using a one way ticket or a ticket with more than 30 days in Thailand. Then I just point them to the visa if I don't have a ticket yet. It is kind of like speeding in a car. Sure the police will have a problem with it, but they may or may not be patrolling a certain area. Do you feel lucky and want to take the chance that they will ask for it and refuse to board you if you do not have it?

Edited by jstumbo

Why risk going to the airport and not being able to board the plane? What is an acceptable risk to you? 25% chance? 50% chance? Follow through with talking with Thai Airways and see what they say.

Then you simply go to the ticket office, book a return ticket on business class. Upon arrival in BKK, you go to the ticket office and cancel the ticket and get a 100% refund. Simple and easy.

Why risk going to the airport and not being able to board the plane? What is an acceptable risk to you? 25% chance? 50% chance? Follow through with talking with Thai Airways and see what they say.

Then you simply go to the ticket office, book a return ticket on business class. Upon arrival in BKK, you go to the ticket office and cancel the ticket and get a 100% refund. Simple and easy.

Again not necessarily correct. Many airlines will charge an 'admin' fee for cancellation of around £100 (7,000 baht)

Again not necessarily correct. Many airlines will charge an 'admin' fee for cancellation of around £100 (7,000 baht)

Then you simply book with a Airline that does not attract such a fee.

Edited by kash