Air Conditioning Unit

Makyai

Hi All,

I have searched the forum for information regarding AC units and installation and some information I don't understand. What is BTU? Does this relate to the size of the room?

I want to instal a Daikin unit in our home office, but am now totally confused. The room is 4x5m and gets the morning sun. I have asked around where we will, central Thailand but not BKK, and we have been provided an estimated cost of 38,000baht for an "invertor" Daikin and 32,000baht for "normal" Daikin, unit and installation.

Now from what I have read, most units installed is no more then about 25,000baht. Any information to clear this up would be greatly appreciated as we want to instal the unit before it gets too hot.

Thanks

BTU = British Thermal Unit.

It is an indication of the size, capacity, of the unit. To check if the unit is big enough requires some calculations or reference to some kind of capacity chart. Not an easy thing for a beginner to undertake, best go to a local a/c contractor and get him to supply, install and commission a unit for you. Will cost a bit more but you are more likely to get something that works.

If you go to any air con shop, they will have a chart that indicates what size air con you need for what size room.

IE if your room is 4 meter by 4 meter thats 16 square meters, and the chart will tell you what size unit you want, for example 13,000.

Basically the bigger the unit the more expencive to buy and run( as it uses more electricity).

But if you buy too small a unit, it will thrash away all day and night trying to cool something beyond its capacity.

Whereas a bigger unit will cool the room fairly quickly, and then go into" tickover" mode where its idling and not overworking.

As already mentioned, its probanly easier to get a shop to install it if you can.

Also check what filters the unit has, and how they are to be cleaned. Most units have some plastic mesh dust filters. You can easily take them out once a month or so, wash them with the shower hose, dry them and refit. This is important as it keeps the electicity costs down. Obviously a blocked filter causes the motor to run harder to try to cool the room.

Some units have paper filters which are harder to clean and need periodic replacement. These types are best avoided, so check the unit for what filters it has before you buy it.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Ok now that I have it clear, I will definitely get someon else to instal the unit. Next question, is 38,000baht too expensive? I can't remember the exact price, but the most that TV members have paid is 20K+, but not more then 30K. I just need a price guide if anyone knows.

Thanks again

If you go to any air con shop, they will have a chart that indicates what size air con you need for what size room.

IE if your room is 4 meter by 4 meter thats 16 square meters, and the chart will tell you what size unit you want, for example 13,000.

Basically the bigger the unit the more expencive to buy and run( as it uses more electricity).

But if you buy too small a unit, it will thrash away all day and night trying to cool something beyond its capacity.

Whereas a bigger unit will cool the room fairly quickly, and then go into" tickover" mode where its idling and not overworking.

As already mentioned, its probanly easier to get a shop to install it if you can.

Also check what filters the unit has, and how they are to be cleaned. Most units have some plastic mesh dust filters. You can easily take them out once a month or so, wash them with the shower hose, dry them and refit. This is important as it keeps the electicity costs down. Obviously a blocked filter causes the motor to run harder to try to cool the room.

Some units have paper filters which are harder to clean and need periodic replacement. These types are best avoided, so check the unit for what filters it has before you buy it.

i can't think of any advice which is "wronger"! :o

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Ok now that I have it clear, I will definitely get someon else to instal the unit. Next question, is 38,000baht too expensive? I can't remember the exact price, but the most that TV members have paid is 20K+, but not more then 30K. I just need a price guide if anyone knows.

Thanks again

NO you don't have it clear! please use the search function, find several threads about airconditioning, read carefully and then make up your mind. if you have additional questions after reading everything i will be happy to assist.

There are several websites to help you figure out what size AC you need for a given space. A BTU calculation will take into account cubic meters to be cooled, size and placement of windows, size of southerly exposed wall amongst other things. I suggest you do a few preliminary calculations before you walk into a store to buy a unit:

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&q...lator&meta=

Naam,

As mentioned in my original post, I DID do a search on the forum and have looked at different topics covering AC unit, installation and costs. That's why I asked the questions that I did. If there are links to topics that is informative which I have missed, please advise and I will read. I typed in "AC unit installation" in the search section and I read through 2 pages of topics.

I am just asking a question, thanking those who have taken the time to respond and communicated that I understand the relevant information that they have provided.

lannarebirth,

Thanks for website link I will have a look.

Makyai

I have asked around where we will, central Thailand but not BKK, and we have been provided an estimated cost of 38,000baht for an "invertor" Daikin and 32,000baht for "normal" Daikin, unit and installation.

Daiken units are generally considered to be top of the line and are priced accordingly.

I have had good experience with Mitsubishi Mr. Slim and also Panasonic (and even LG units in the past). These are likely to be somewhat cheaper and are often on sale too.

Hi All,

I have searched the forum for information regarding AC units and installation and some information I don't understand. What is BTU? Does this relate to the size of the room?

BTU - British Thermal Units. Not used very much now, as equivalent Watts/Kilowatts used more. Yes, BTUs/kW are a measure of how much heat energy the AC Unit can trensfer and is dependent on the volume of your room and the amount of heat entering through the walls/ceiling.

I want to instal a Daikin unit in our home office, but am now totally confused. The room is 4x5m and gets the morning sun. I have asked around where we will, central Thailand but not BKK, and we have been provided an estimated cost of 38,000baht for an "invertor" Daikin and 32,000baht for "normal" Daikin, unit and installation.

We've had several units put in, all in larger roms than yours. The most I've paid is 18,000 THB, last time about a year ago. All ours are Panasonic (Split Units) and work well. I think at >30K per unit, your installer is taking the p**s

Now from what I have read, most units installed is no more then about 25,000baht. Any information to clear this up would be greatly appreciated as we want to instal the unit before it gets too hot.

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks

Sorry. Forget to mention before:

If you're in Central Thailand, then maybe you're near Phetchabun. If so, there are a couple of good installers/suppliers there. They'll travel but only within reason.

Incidentally, going back to your BTUs and to be pedantic, BTUs are a measurement of Energy (S.I. units are the Joule) and Watts a measurement of Power (1 Watt = 1 Joule per second). So the conversion is:

1 Watt = 3.41 BTU per Hour.

Maybe your AC spec is given in Watts.

• 2 weeks later...

A moderate air con installed at home pro or the like should go for 18,000 baht & a big unit upwards to 28,000. sounds like your getting jerked on the installation. These are Pattaya prices that I looked into 3 months ago so add 2000 baht more for the fuel increases!

good luck & watch out for the cowboys- a lot of them out their, their real job is a cook or laborer!

There is a large variance in price - even from same manufacturer as they have different specs. If you want inverter and high efficiency (lower running cost) the initial cost is going to be a good deal higher than the low price units that are normally on display (price leaders).

I've noticed that my usage of an aircon [in the hot season] is to run it at night for maybe an hour at most to cool the walls and usually by 10-11pm, it starts to cool off outside. Occasionally we will fire it up a half hour during the day for a nap, but even during the peak of the hot season, that's all we need.

I have done some 'passive' improvements to the house, like marble floors and roof spinner vents that you can observe spinning like crazy during the hottest days and we have double 4" hollow block walls.

another simple cheap way to cool the house is to plant bamboo on the south and west side of your house.

Having said that, i think that i can just get by with a simple unit that simply cools effeciently for a total of an hour and a half a day for only three months a year. the rest of the time, the weather and my house remains cool up here in Chiang Mai.