Renewal Or New Visa

I currently have a Non Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry Visa (Retirement). I only spend 6 months a year in Thailand but was advised by the Embassy in Washington, DC that this would be the best Visa for me to obtain. In effect it has given me two years in Thailand (five months last year, 6 months this year) and all I have had to do is one 90 day reporting last year and will be able to get away with one 90 day reporting this year using the 7 day grace period provision.

My question is would I be better off applying for another Non Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry Visa from the Embassy in Washington this year in October or go through the renewal procedures next November here in Thailand ?

I am using the over age 50, over 65 K Baht monthly income method for qualification.

My current stay is authorized till 8 Nov 2008 but I will leave here on 5 May 2008 and return in October or November.

I am leaning toward the getting a new visa just to save the hassle of going to the US Embassy in Bangkok to get the income statement. I understand that if I apply for a new Visa I will have to submit the police records check, income proof, and health certificate but that is not a problem for me.

Your advice gentleman.

I think there is less hassle to renew it in Bkk as its pretty straightforward. I'm sure its not so hard to get the embassy letter, and you won't need health certificates or a police letter. Once you've renewed, each year after tends to be fairly smooth sailing. Just make sure you have re-entry permit.

Edited by Guest

Up to you. If the added expense of police report/medical is offset by not needing a re-entry permit during the first year it may make sense. The Embassy letter is not that much of a problem but does take about an hour to complete as usually busy.

If you decide to use the extension in Thailand remember to obtain a re-entry permit when you leave in May. If you decide to obtain a new visa there will be no need for the re-entry permit.

Thanks, but since my current Visa is a Multiple Entry (M) do I really need a re-entry permit ? I have not needed it coming back into Thailand this time and that was why the Embassy in Washington recommended and issued the multi entry O-A Visa, since they knew that I was only going to be here for 6 months at a time. I am in Pattaya so I would not renew it in Bangkok. And yes I would need to continue the multiple entry since next year I will return to the US and that was the only reason I was thinking about getting a new Visa, since I would then again get another two years.

As I read it if I extend it here in Thailand I will have to apply every year versus getting it in my home country (USA) and only having to do it every two years. Since they charge you 1,900 THB every year X 2 = $115.00 (@ 33 THB per $1 USD), plus the $35 x 2 = $70 fee at the US Embassy in Bangkok for a total of $185 versus $125 for a Visa in Washington. Police check is free as is the medical certificate, my health plan authorizes a yearly physical anyway.

With this additional information does your advice remain the same ?

You can only travel without a re-entry during the one year that your 0-A visa is valid. Once you start the second year you require a re-entry permit as your visa is no longer valid to enter Thailand. Only the re-entry permit keeps your current permitted to stay until alive.

It is still up to you. Not that much financial difference for most people to use that as an excuse either way. If you are planning travel anyhow and it not out of your way to obtain the visa that it would seem to make sense.

Since you've already gone through the hoops before in getting an O-A visa, without, apparently, too much hassle, going this route again would seem to be in order. Also, you might be able to re-use your original police and medical reports -- at least one chap did so using the New York Consulate -- maybe Thai Embassy would be equally agreeable...

Going this route, you'll have the several months back in the States to do this at your leisure -- and via mail, which saves hassle. And no need to visit Immigration, other than 90-day reporting -- if you do this in person.

Extending in Nov 2008 in Thailand will require:

1. Separate trip to Immigration to get a re-entry permit before you head Stateside. In your case, a single re-entry (1000bt) would seem to be in order.

2. Returning to Thailand, trip to US Embassy for income certification.

3. Another trip to Immigration for extension of stay.

4. Maybe more trips to Immigration if agent had a hangover.

Easy choice, I would think....