Smoking Ban - Will It Be Enforced?

KevinHunt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Yes, it will be enforced and this is good.[/

According to the news today, they say, this law is there to protect those who work in the environment (e.g, bartender, beer girls).

And also, this is one of the way to lower the number of new smokers as teenagers are more likely to start smoking in pubs, and bars.

What makes you so sure it will be enforced? Prostitution is illegal and ...well? How can you make such a forceful statement? Inside info perhaps?

Yes, it will be enforced and this is good.

According to the news today, they say, this law is there to protect those who work in the environment (e.g, bartender, beer girls).

And also, this is one of the way to lower the number of new smokers as teenagers are more likely to start smoking in pubs, and bars.

like they didn't know what they were getting into. :o

I remember when the Duke's opened and the tobacco monoply boys showed up to take up where they left off at the bar before David leased it. When David told them they couldn't smoke inside the restaurant they told him they were never coming back and he would be closed in three months as a result. Well?????

What makes you so sure it will be enforced? Prostitution is illegal and ...well? How can you make such a forceful statement? Inside info perhaps?

Well, I went to Warm Up the other day and no one smoked!

Two farangs were trying to do so though but they were stopped by staff, and in the end they refused to pay for their drinks! So I guess it was pretty obvious that it is being enforced.

Luckily all my favourite restaurants are still permitting smoking, so no real change as far as I'm concerned. The large airconditioned restaurants were non smoking before, so no change there either.....
Perhaps you would like to name them so that you and your chums can have it to yourselves,

Has any one been out tonight? Is the smoking ban being enforced anywhere. for me pint and a fag go hand in hand!

Tonight we had to tell the customers they could not smoke. We were checked on twice to make sure we were in compliance. Luckily we have seating outside for the smokers, but I can tell you some were not happy but most were not surprised. The only people that were smoking tonight inside were a group of Thais who I guess didn't get the memo; although they hid their smoke pretty well.....

Interestingly last night, health officials came around to help designate areas. It appears that they are taking it to mean, anything under a cover associated with the bar. Hmmm. This will never swing. Air conditioned areas I can understand. Fresh air areas inside a bar i can understand, but standing under an awning hanging off the bar is considered non smoking area also.

If they enforce it like this, 30% of the clientele will be standing on the street.

At Guitarman last night, all the smokers sat outside, and the inside was smoke-free, for the first time ever. I couldn't tell whether the staff asked the smokers to smoke outside, or whether it was voluntary. I did there were no ashtrays on inside tables, only outside tables, so perhaps they simply took the hint.

Well, I went to Warm Up the other day and no one smoked!

Two farangs were trying to do so though but they were stopped by staff, and in the end they refused to pay for their drinks! So I guess it was pretty obvious that it is being enforced.

This is fantastic! I am heading there tonight!

I have an Outside Bar at the PEAK and Cops did come around and told the missus not to give out ashtrays to our customers but as far as I could tell they could still smoke so I told them to use the floor as an ashtray no worries

We are open on all four sides, but I still dont think its clear if people can or cant smoke in an outside bar guess we will find out on the next patrol

Went to Mandalay last night NO SMOKERS also Bubble, Spicey, Hot Shot are also NON Smoking now and it is being enforced by the club staff

My wife and I were at No.1 bar last night and noticed it was crowded as usual. The smokers were occupying only the tables next to the soi, none at the bars or pool table areas. I asked the owner how the patrons took to not smoking in the bar and her reply was that they understood since most are from countries that ban smoking in public places to one degree or another. I think if the bar owners here will take the same approach, they will find their return customers will be based more on their customer service than whether they can smoke inside or not. JMHO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone confirm that a couple of Farang-owned bars were recently fined 20,000 baht, with customers caught smoking fined 2,000 baht?

All smoke and mirrors :o I was in a bar/restaurant the other week and drinking with one of the local BIB's. He lit up and asked for an ashtray. It's one of my favourite bars as they don't give a rats about the smoking ban, although they have signs everywhere, TIT rules

Can anyone confirm that a couple of Farang-owned bars were recently fined 20,000 baht, with customers caught smoking fined 2,000 baht?

All smoke and mirrors :o I was in a bar/restaurant the other week and drinking with one of the local BIB's. He lit up and asked for an ashtray. It's one of my favourite bars as they don't give a rats about the smoking ban, although they have signs everywhere, TIT rules

Surely it wouldn't be profitable for him to levy a fine against himself........

lets do an unofficial TV piss up there then :D

Presumably, that's what the owners of the two bars in question thought. :D If the story is true a 20,000 baht fine is enough for most bar owners to think again.

Presumably, that's what the owners of the two bars in question thought. :D If the story is true a 20,000 baht fine is enough for most bar owners to think again.

Still waiting for confirmation of these fines on farang owned bars :o

I don't know why, but I'm sometimes asked by thai girls 'you like smoke?' Of course, having never smoked I always say 'Nooooo thank you!' , to which they seem surprised? I guess most Thai guys smoke, so they think we all do? :o

In certain areas of Thailand when a Thai girl says "you like smoke"? she ain't talking about cigarettes :D

Edited by cluezo

In the past year or so, they recently enforced a similar ban in Washington DC. All of the bar owners were afraid that the smoking customers were going to stop coming to thier bars and instead go to bars across the river in Virginia. However, once the ban was in place and people got used to it, the bars actually saw an INCREASE in customers. Now not only did the smokers not go else where, patrons who did not normally come out to bars because of the smoke, started to come out!

The same thing happened in NSW (Australia) and smoking was banned in bars under a revamp of the food health act. In the gaming area smoking is still permitted and the revenues from bars and tax receipts increased since the bans were imposed.

I know that I am going to come across as yet another whiny American, but 2 or 3 times since I moved here, I have attempted to have dinner and drinks at Chiang Mai Saloon. However, every time I go there, I run into a virtual brick wall of lingering cig. smoke and decide to go else where. Now, being a well seasoned bar vet and an occasional smoker myself, I can usually deal with large amounts of smoke. However, this is one place that I would have to imagine would greatly benefit from the smoking ban. I for one, would definitely frequent the place ore often.

I have never smoked but am happy for people to make their own choice. I am happy to go to bars were people smoke and have no objection to it. I do however agree with you re bar/restaurants including The Chiang Mai Saloon where trying to eat a meal in a haze of smoke is not my idea of an enjoyable past time. I do eat there on occasion but choose my time accordingly. Lots of smokers - I move on to somewhere else. That said my understanding of the current law is that the CM Saloon will not be affected by the ban because it is not Airconditioned but open to the outside air.

CB

Don't object. Read this... :o

<div id="grid_wideleft" class="article">

Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air you breathe

<h2 id="summary">Breathing the toxins in secondhand smoke can literally make you sick. Find out how to avoid secondhand smoke, which can cause cancer, asthma and more.</h2> You don't smoke because you understand the dangers. But what about that thick cloud of secondhand smoke at your favorite restaurant? Or the smoky haze left behind by guests after an evening of partying? What about the effect of secondhand smoke on your children when smoking relatives come to visit?

These instances of secondhand smoke present health hazards comparable to smoking. High in toxic chemicals, secondhand smoke plays a role in causing or contributing to a number of health problems, from cardiovascular disease to cancer. The Surgeon General reported in 2006 that scientific evidence shows there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.

But secondhand smoke is often avoidable. Take steps to protect yourself and those you care about from secondhand smoke.

Toxins in secondhand smoke

What exactly is secondhand smoke? It's two different forms of smoke from cigarettes, pipes or cigars:

• Sidestream smoke comes directly from the burning tobacco product.
  • Mainstream smoke is smoke that the smoker exhales.

Secondhand smoke is also known as environmental tobacco smoke, passive smoking, involuntary smoking and perhaps a more descriptive term, tobacco smoke pollution.

Regardless of what you call it, both types of secondhand smoke contain harmful chemicals — and a lot of them. Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds, more than 250 of which are toxic. And more than 50 of the chemicals in cigarette smoke are known or suspected to cause cancer. Included in secondhand smoke are:

• Formaldehyde
  • Arsenic
  • Cadmium
  • Benzene
  • Polonium

Here are a few more chemicals in secondhand smoke that might sound familiar, along with their effects on health:

• Ammonia — irritates your lungs
  • Carbon monoxide — reduces oxygen in your blood
  • Methanol — toxic when inhaled or swallowed
  • Hydrogen cyanide — a potent poison that interferes with respiratory function

The dangerous particles in secondhand smoke can linger in the air for hours. Breathing them even for a short time — as little as 20 or 30 minutes — can harm you in a variety of ways. And breathing in secondhand smoke over years can be all the more dangerous.

Health threats to adults from secondhand smoke

Health experts have recognized the relationship between secondhand smoke and health risks for decades. Research exploring these connections continues.

Some of the known or suspected health risks include:

Cancer

Secondhand smoke is a known risk factor for lung cancer. Experts believe that secondhand smoke is to blame for about 3,400 deaths from lung cancer in adult nonsmokers each year in the United States. Secondhand smoke is also linked to cancer of the nasal sinuses.

Heart disease

Secondhand smoke harms the cardiovascular system of nonsmokers in many ways. For one thing, it causes heart disease, such as a heart attack. It also damages blood vessels, interferes with circulation and increases the risk of blood clots. It's estimated that some 35,000 nonsmokers die of secondhand smoke-related heart disease in the United States every year.

Lung disease

Chronic lung ailments, such as bronchitis and asthma, have been associated with secondhand smoke. Exposure to secondhand smoke is also associated with chest tightness at night and feelings of breathlessness after physical activity.

Health threats to children from secondhand smoke

Secondhand smoke has a marked effect on the health of infants and children. They're more vulnerable than adults are because they're still developing physically and generally have higher breathing rates, which means they may inhale greater quantities of secondhand smoke than adults do.

For children who live in households where someone smokes, the effects are worst during the child's first five years, since the child may spend the bulk of that time with a smoking parent or guardian. Ironically, infants are at the highest risk of secondhand smoke from their own mothers. A child who spends just one hour in a very smoky room is inhaling as many dangerous chemicals as if he or she smoked 10 or more cigarettes. And even when parents don't smoke at home or in the car, there can still be negative effects when children are exposed to the tobacco smoke pollution released from the clothing and hair of smoking parents.

Here's a look at some of the main health problems in infants and children associated with secondhand smoke.

Growth and development

Women who are exposed to secondhand smoke during pregnancy are at higher risk of having babies of slightly lower birth weight. This can cause a host of health problems for the baby, such as cerebral palsy or learning disabilities. Women who actively smoke during pregnancy expose their developing baby to passive smoke — the chemicals may pass through the placenta — and put the baby at risk of lower birth weight.

An infant who was exposed to secondhand smoke as a developing fetus may be at increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Post-birth exposure to secondhand smoke from the mother, father or others in the household also increases the risk of SIDS.

Asthma and other respiratory problems

Secondhand smoke may cause asthma in children. In children who already have asthma, secondhand smoke can make episodes more frequent and more severe.

Secondhand smoke is also tied to infections of the lower respiratory tract, such as bronchitis and pneumonia, especially in those younger than 6. It's also associated with irritation of the upper respiratory tract and a small reduction in lung function.

Middle ear conditions

Children living in households with smokers are more likely to develop middle ear infections (otitis media).

clear.gif

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

clear.gif

Other health problems related to secondhand smoke

For both adults and children, secondhand smoke is linked to a variety of other health problems, including:

• Chronic coughing, phlegm and wheezing
  • Eye and nose irritation
  • Reduced lung function
  • Irritability
  • Dental cavities

How to avoid secondhand smoke

Limiting exposure to secondhand smoke takes planning. Here are some ways you can reduce or eliminate secondhand smoke in your life.

• Don't allow smoking in your home. If family members or guests want to smoke, ask them to step outside. Don't rely on an air conditioner or an open window to clear the air. Running the air conditioner may remove the visible smoke, but it doesn't remove the dangerous particles from circulation. An open window doesn't provide adequate ventilation, either.
  • Insist that smoking restrictions be enforced in your workplace. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified secondhand smoke as a Group A carcinogen, which means it's known to cause cancer in humans. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from exposure to secondhand smoke is to prevent all smoking in the building. Even powerful ventilation fans don't effectively remove secondhand smoke from the work environment.
  • Choose smoke-free care facilities. If you take your children to a child care provider, choose one with a no-smoking policy. The same goes for aging relatives. If they live in a long term care facility, make sure it's smoke-free.
  • Don't allow smoking in your vehicle. If someone must smoke on the road, stop at a rest stop for a smoke break outside the car.
  • Patronize businesses with no-smoking policies and tell the management that you appreciate the healthy air. Many restaurants and other establishments are entirely smoke-free.
  • When you absolutely must share a room with people who are smoking, sit as far away from them as possible.
  • If your spouse or partner smokes, have him or her refrain from smoking indoors, just as you would with houseguests. Encourage your partner to quit smoking.

clear.gif

RELATED

MayoClinic.com Bookstore

clear.gif <div id="channel_right">

ARTICLE TOOLS

print_icon.gifPrint e-mail_icon.gifE-mail this

largertype_icon.gif Larger type

icon_reprints_red.gif Reprints and permissions function RightslinkPopUp() { var url = "https://s100.copyright.com/AppDispatchServlet"; var location = url + "?publisherName=" + encodeURI('MCHS') + "&publication=" + encodeURI('MayoClinic.com') + "&title=" + encodeURI('Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air you breathe') + "&publicationDate=" + encodeURI('March 8, 2008') + "&author=" + encodeURI('By Mayo Clinic Staff') + "&copyright=" + encodeURI('© 1998-2008 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved.') + "&contentID=" + encodeURI('CC00023') + "&contentType=" + encodeURI('mcArticle') + "&numPages=" + encodeURI('3') + "&color=" + encodeURI('0') PopUp = window.open( location,'Rightslink','location=no,toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,re

sizable=yes,width=650,height=550'); } var textSize = ''; var valArray = getCookieValue('mcDotcomSession').toString(); valArray = valArray.split("|"); for(i=0;i

I don't know why, but I'm sometimes asked by thai girls 'you like smoke?' Of course, having never smoked I always say 'Nooooo thank you!' , to which they seem surprised? I guess most Thai guys smoke, so they think we all do? :o

In certain areas of Thailand when a Thai girl says "you like smoke"? she ain't talking about cigarettes :D

yep.

Only women are allowed to smoke indoors these days.

:D

yep.

Only women are allowed to smoke indoors these days. :D

And ladyboys :D