Krispy Kream Why Not

bkkblueeyes

I'm a donut fan but I think Krispy Kreme donuts are not good and so over-hyped.

Aside from a few independent donut shops (such as the one run by a Cambodian in Palm Springs CA oddly named "Swiss Donut") the best chain is Yum-Yum Donuts, especially the old-fashioned (buttermilk) ones. I wish we could get something like that in LOS. I prefer donuts that CRUNCH with glaze and are not filled with air.

KK doughnuts are a popular item for Thais returning to Thailand, as the over head lockers on the flights always seem to have a few boxes.

I understand that KKs policy of baking the doughnuts rather than deep frying is based on maintaining longer shelf life as the fat does not go off so quickly.

I love KK!! I had no idea they had them in Indonesia or Philippines, I thought the closest place was Hong Kong...

I agree that they must be very bad for people's health, it's like sugar-based heroine...most people I know that have tried them are totally hooked.

Krispy Kreme is the best donut chain in the US they have a neon sign in the window when they are actually frying the donuts that says "Hot Donuts Now" mmmmm mmmmmm melt in your mouth glazed glory. Their coffee is good too but Dunkin Donuts has better Chocolate donuts though . .................. and no I'm not an ex cop .

From what i heard, the start up capital required was 100 million Baht ( franchise rights , prep-factory, an a few outlets). There have been a few people who looked at it, never put the cash on the table.

The did well in their launch in Oz, but I heard the had financial problems of late in US or somewhere else.

Maybe we should set up a "TV Krispy Kream Fund" to raise capital - $10 a share :o

Agree they are like glazed donuts tasted 50 years ago in the US - when they were sold at the truck stop restaurants. Yes, a lot of air, but that is what glazed (honey dipped) donuts are all about. Most supermarkets in the US have a shelf for daily supply so expect the majority of business is outside the retail shops.

From what i heard, the start up capital required was 100 million Baht ( franchise rights , prep-factory, an a few outlets). There have been a few people who looked at it, never put the cash on the table.

The did well in their launch in Oz, but I heard the had financial problems of late in US or somewhere else.

Maybe we should set up a "TV Krispy Kream Fund" to raise capital - $10 a share :o

Yeah I noticed they want a rather large capital start up. (Something we would all dream of having) But this would be on an investor’s inventory somewhere.

100 million baht condominium projects are getting built allover town as we speak.

Maybe it’s the timing in it all I guess.

Having to get the outlets and having no space left in department stores.

Some people would have to give up there shop space and invest them self on the board

It has to be a big meeting of investors with the capital and the time all in one go.

Or maybe the sweetcharioti s right

To much U.S fast foods and thai chicks will not be so hot.

And everybody will leave town.

Hmm I am keen.

Who’s in? lol

Well I have been asked by some wealthy people to go as far as I can with this. So keep it coming!!

KK - The first shop in Japan opened in an area called Shinjuku. There was a 2 hour wait to buy your donuts :o I walked by there on the 30th of January at about 4:30pm and the wait was about 1 hour. I am not sure if it is repeat business or people just wanting to try something new.

TheWalkingMan

KK - The first shop in Japan opened in an area called Shinjuku. There was a 2 hour wait to buy your donuts :o I walked by there on the 30th of January at about 4:30pm and the wait was about 1 hour. I am not sure if it is repeat business or people just wanting to try something new.

That's about par for the course in Shinjuku :D KK also has a branch in Terminal 2 of HK International Airport. If you're flying Thai or Emirates from HK, you'll be using that terminal. It's on the 2nd floor.

I don't like most of their donuts - but the original KK glazed donuts, freshly baked, are to die for. I'm a Dunkin Donuts fan myself but the ones here never seem to be fresh.

TheWalkingMan

Remember the long lines at Roti Boy in Siam Square and on Silom? They're gone now!

TheWalkingMan

Remember the long lines at Roti Boy in Siam Square and on Silom? They're gone now!

I also think Krispy Kreme would work in Bangkok. They cook the doughnuts in the open for customers to see and serve them "fresh and hot". Very different and much more pizazz then Dunkin or Mr. Donut. (critical to Thai people is often the presentation and if it is perceived to be western and high quality.

The Roty on Silom and elsewhere was a joke, paid people to wait in line to appear even more busy and product line was almost ONE non descript item.

Yes, I think it works here but probably only the Minor group could pull it of.

Have taken a beating on their stock over the past 3-4 years.

Yeah I noticed they want a rather large capital start up. (Something we would all dream of having) But this would be on an investor’s inventory somewhere.

100 million baht condominium projects are getting built allover town as we speak.

Maybe it’s the timing in it all I guess.

Having to get the outlets and having no space left in department stores.

Some people would have to give up there shop space and invest them self on the board

It has to be a big meeting of investors with the capital and the time all in one go.

Or maybe the sweetcharioti s right

To much U.S fast foods and thai chicks will not be so hot.

And everybody will leave town.

Hmm I am keen.

Who’s in? lol

Well I have been asked by some wealthy people to go as far as I can with this. So keep it coming!!

:D Krispy Kremes are being sold right out of my home and I got the recipe 100 baht for a dozen...lol...can you imagine when the HOT & FRESH light is on! Addicts will line the BTS for it!! Yes they melt in your mouth nice hot & fresh! Dunkin & Mr Doughnut I'm sorry refriged and thawed mass processed doughnut that are dry and distasteful UUggh! I hate'm. Japan or french bakeries here are better than thoughs 2.

Did you say 100 million baht? Wow corruption is SWEET! We could build our own Condo with that...

But whatever happen to the Jamba Juice thats usually with the Starbucks chains?

Do we have a SubWays up here? I have investor interested in that.

KFC also needs to have corn on the cobb and buttermilk biscuits...lol

Thanx :D

I worked in that area and predicted their demise because they wouldn't introduce new product - and I laughed so hard when 3-4 different shops tried to introduce copycat products at cheaper prices.

Krispy Kreme wouldn't disappear that quickly though, they do have plenty of different product. And in Shinjuku, I don't expect it will be disappearing any time soon particularly given that most American products continue to remain fashionable amongst teeny-boppers and yuppies.