Do You Remember The First Record You Bought ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got you all beat on the shame meter!

The first single I ever bought

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pk30a0qsVIk

I remember reading the NME and waiting for this song to be released.

Saviours of punk my arse.

That song was one of the biggest disappointments in my life. :D

I actually liked it! In my defence I was about 12 at the time :o

I was sixteen and thought it the most over-hyped song ever.

Music newspapers, such as the NME, Melody Maker, were promoting this song months before it was released.

I remember counting down the days till its release.

I even tried to make myself like it, but it was a lie.

The song was pants and there was no denying it.

I'm glad you liked it though :D

I thought this may be interesting if no ones asked it before,. mine was Eden Cane ,Boys Cry, circa 1964 ( i think ) ! his brother was peter sastard of "where do you go to my lovely " fame

1954.....Eddy Calvert...O Mein Papa. The B side was Mystery Street and on the parlophone lable and cost 5 shillings.Bought it at Allens in the Arcade in Bristol. Of course it as an 10" shellac record and my wind-up gramaphone needed a new needle often.

My second record was Frankie Laine ..The Kids last Fight..the B side..Long Distance Love. On the Philips label and cost 5 shillings and five pence.

Being a teenager money was scarce and these 2 records were constanly being played until some more were bought.

Memory is strange...I can recite the words of Long Distance Love even now 54 years later.!!

"I cried a river of ink and a mountain of paper

but that couldnt save my long distance love

I met an old friend from home and he promised to tell her

to tell her I craved for my long distance love"

Well that tells us 2 things, you;re no youngster and your memory is still working well ! :o

Both my first single and album were bought in the same year 1973, I was eleven.

Single - Ben by Michael Jackson

Album - Vagabonds of the western world by Thin Lizzy

Now that's an ecclectic mix! Ah, the memories...

ps many years later my first CD was Dark Side Of The Moon! I had many copies of the album that had always warped and scratched, yet 20 years later I still have that CD.

First 45 was Honky Tonk Women by the Stones. I wore that thing flat out.

First LP's were Ummagumma , Pink Floyd and Tyranny And Mutation, Blue Oyster Cult. Bought at the same time. Don't ask how I remember that. Still have both of them. Oh the humanity of brain cells lost to those days....... :o:D

Got you all beat on the shame meter!

The first single I ever bought

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pk30a0qsVIk

I remember reading the NME and waiting for this song to be released.

Saviours of punk my arse.

That song was one of the biggest disappointments in my life. :D

I actually liked it! In my defence I was about 12 at the time :o

I was sixteen and thought it the most over-hyped song ever.

Music newspapers, such as the NME, Melody Maker, were promoting this song months before it was released.

I remember counting down the days till its release.

I even tried to make myself like it, but it was a lie.

The song was pants and there was no denying it.

I'm glad you liked it though :D

Its a lousy piece of "music" for sure.

You would have thought that the magazines had actually heard it and the editors weren't all 12, so how could they have hyped it!?!

My first tape was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack! It was purple (for Donatello).

That was when I was about 11. I finally bought a CD a year later, and it was Led Zeppelin IV, so you know my tastes improved pretty rapidly.

Currently sitting at 800+ albums and counting.

BFD!

Turning Japanese by the Vapors. 1980

A fine choice - hope you didn't shave your eyebrows like the lead singer. :o

Double purchase same day in 1979 - Eagles On The Border (dunno why since it came out in 1974 - must have been on sale) and Never Mind The <deleted> Here's The Sex Pistols. Remember blasting that one and not having the slightest clue as to the lyrics, but I was going to be different dammit.

Well, just to throw in an alternative style:

1962 - age 11 - Mozart "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"

G

Thanks, you've given me courage to join in this one.

The first I bought was the only 78 rpm I ever bought: 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' (but STAY with me please because the 2nd is more interesting) a 45: 'Rock Around the Clock' by Bill Hayley and the Comets.

I think I bridged a gap, technically, and a whole generation in music, all in two (unknowing) fell swoops of slender spending money?!

I hid the former for years, but immediately played the latter to my next door neighbour, also 11 at the time. He then got me round to his place when his folks were out and put 'Come on Everybody' by Eddie Cochrane on his parents enormous piece of furniture called a radiogram. After he turned the treble right down and the bass and the volume right up, we lay down and somehow wriggled our heads underneath this thing. Amazing I can hear anything at all, still.

My First LP record was actually a double Album " Made in Japan" by deep purple.....i still love this Album.

My First single 78rpm was " Being Boiled" by Human League...sounds very different than the stuff they made later

My First maxi single was" Money Runner" from quincey Jones...old but good it was a remastered that how it came on Maxi single

My first CD was " Alphabet City" from ABC....the music, wasn't to bad for the time (1986) funnily that CD isn't playable anymore( but all the other mentioned above still are!) ....despite the fact when CD was released they promised us " everlasting" Music...

rcm

Met a guy down on the beach in Key West Florida who was playing with his dog. We talked for a while and had a few beers and he claimed that he had made an album. A week later, I bought it. "Pencil Thin Mustache" by Jimmy Buffett. Even had the famous song "Lady goin' crazy on Caroline Street" on it. I think he forgot about me because I haven't gotten a Christmas card from him for over ..... well, okay.... I've never gotten a Christmas card from him. He certainly has done well for himself. Read "A Pirate Looks at 50" if you ever get a chance. Great book. Guess I'm off topic now....

I have made a CD in 1990 with dance music (House).

When I go clubbing I can still hear samples from that CD played in dance music that is popular nowadays.

Must have been due to the Mushrooms I took at that time, ha ha ha.

:o

Yes, I do, matter-of-fact. At age 16, I bought a 3-record album set of 33-1/3 platters with the full Handel's Messiah. Was rather a precoscious child at the time. Downhill slide all the way ever since, to the point I can't even spell precotious anymore. :o

Yes, I do, matter-of-fact. At age 16, I bought a 3-record album set of 33-1/3 platters with the full Handel's Messiah. Was rather a precoscious child at the time. Downhill slide all the way ever since, to the point I can't even spell precotious anymore. :o

No, you were a lad of great taste. Especially if it was the set by Huddersfield Choral Society/Liverpool Philharmonic conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent. At the time the best selling classical LPs ever in the USA. Yes, I'm biased. My Dad was lead bass singer.