Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Penang To Impose Stricter Rules When Issuing Tourist Visas

On the point that they simply don't want us here, including the wealthy, I agree. I've recently been looking into getting a marriage visa and discovered that 400K in the bank is no longer acceptable for the visa. Only 40k per month income verified by your embassy will suffice. Doh! I was going to get mum and dad to send me 400k and pick it up when they come over for their annual visit. I guess they've cottoned on to that little loop hole.

With regards to working here: I've just read something disturbing on ajarn.com. It could be a load of rubbish, but someone is saying that their school has been informed by MOE that people can only teach in the field of their degree. Therefore, if you've been teaching English, science, P.E. or math with an engineering degree for example, you're teaching job here might be in jeopardy if this gets off the ground. Everyone with a TEFL certificate will find it a worthless piece of paper in this country. I'm praying that it's disinformation.

They really don't think things through here. How many people with a degree in TEFL are prepared to work for peanuts when they can earn a fortune in Japan, Korea, Kuwait................

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is believed that the reason for the tightening of the rules is to reduce the number of foreigners using tourist visas to stay long term in Thailand, and not for tourism purposes for which this visa is intended, therefore abusing the system.

You've got to be kidding.. I've lived here in Thailand for the past six years. I have a lot of savings deposited in the banks here, incl. almost 2 million baht from income I made until last year in Thailand. Will I have to spend all this money now in neighbouring countries? No wonder Cambodia and Vietnam are booming, while Thailand is going to the dogs.. :o

Just out of curiousity - why is the Thai Gouvernment so "Anti Long Stay Tourist" ...... I know alot of guys that work in the UK / Europe for 6 months during srping / summer, save up alot of cash, then go to Thailand for the autumn / winter (6 months) and spend all that cash...... I'm talking like 10 grand...... as in half a million Baht..... surely that is a good thing for the country? I can understand why they would want to stop foriegners buying up land & houses, pushing up prices etc., but what is wrong with people hanging around spending what is locally a hel_l of alot of money..... this money is filtering back up the entire country one way or another..... the typical long stay tourist is not exaclt a burden on the state?

Just seems pointless to me........... could some one fill me in?

I think they see it more as a way to combat foreigners working illigaly in Thailand. I think it should not be a problem for the ppl you are talking about they will get a double entry tourist visa in their country and then they can stay here for half a year (with extentions). Im happy that i changed my visa to a non O. I have only once had to get a tourist visa at penang it was easy. After that non O's

Course, it's all debatable (as we are and will) just how much these things tightening of rules will actually benefit their country, but then if you're coming out to Thailand for 6 months or so to have a ball after earning your big, fat hard earned wad of cash in the UK, it shouldn't really be a problem to pay your extra 100 quid to get the 1 year O Visa so you don't have to mess about taking crazy bus trips to Cambodia, Burma, Laos, etc every 30 days anyway (for as long as that lasts!)... I never actually considered staying here (since last April) on anything less, and while its still a pain EVERY 90 days doing the visa run, its certainly better and I'm now hoping to get an upgrade to the B Visa, and then also work permit, through a school which I'm hoping to get work and become a fully legit Teacher with... it will also help the authorities to know where people are, on a longer term visa, where you have to state an address every 90 days... at the end of the day, I don't think we should expect the Thai authorities/ government to make things easy for us, especially when we're so quick to complain how the UK governement often seem to be too lax with immigrants into the UK... we've all got choices, which is why we're here in the first place; "It's up to you..." as they like to say here... All the Best and Good Luck to those who decide to move on, Sawadee Kap to those I may meet at some point...

Edited by leebeeUK

<snip> wanting to be more like Europe and North America with their immigration policies; and wanting to be seen as less of a place where "anybody" can go and live.

I was going to bow out of this thread figuring that I had annoyed enough people for one day . . . However, you're joking, right? More like North America??? America estimates up to 12 million (!!!) illegal immigrants, or whatever you prefer to call them, and the southern border is still an open floodgate.

I read somewhere that 10% of Mexico's GDP is money sent home by Mexicans working in America (most likely illegally). Sounds like this situation might apply more to Burmese, etc living/working in Thailand illegally than North Americans or Europeans. I wonder what %age of the UK's GDP is made up of Brits sending money home which they earn in Thailand? Anyone care to take a guess?

This is Letterman material. you had me laughing out loud. Brits sending money home from Thailand :D I bet the moms and dads of these brits would find it just as funny. :o

Just out of curiousity - why is the Thai Gouvernment so "Anti Long Stay Tourist" ...... I know alot of guys that work in the UK / Europe for 6 months during srping / summer, save up alot of cash, then go to Thailand for the autumn / winter (6 months) and spend all that cash...... I'm talking like 10 grand...... as in half a million Baht..... surely that is a good thing for the country? I can understand why they would want to stop foriegners buying up land & houses, pushing up prices etc., but what is wrong with people hanging around spending what is locally a hel_l of alot of money..... this money is filtering back up the entire country one way or another..... the typical long stay tourist is not exaclt a burden on the state?

I think they see it more as a way to combat foreigners working illigaly in Thailand. I think it should not be a problem for the ppl you are talking about they will get a double entry tourist visa in their country and then they can stay here for half a year (with extentions). Im happy that i changed my visa to a non O. I have only once had to get a tourist visa at penang it was easy. After that non O's

Course, it's all debatable (as we are and will) just how much these things tightening of rules will actually benefit their country, but then if you're coming out to Thailand for 6 months or so to have a ball after earning your big, fat hard earned wad of cash in the UK, it shouldn't really be a problem to pay your extra 100 quid to get the 1 year O Visa so you don't have to mess about taking crazy bus trips to Cambodia, Burma, Laos, etc every 30 days anyway (for as long as that lasts!)... I never actually considered staying here (since last April) on anything less, and while its still a pain EVERY 90 days doing the visa run, its certainly better and I'm now hoping to get an upgrade to the B Visa, and then also work permit, through a school which I'm hoping to get work and become a fully legit Teacher with... it will also help the authorities to know where people are, on a longer term visa, where you have to state an address every 90 days... at the end of the day, I don't think we should expect the Thai authorities/ government to make things easy for us, especially when we're so quick to complain how the UK governement often seem to be too lax with immigrants into the UK... we've all got choices, which is why we're here in the first place; "It's up to you..." as they like to say here... All the Best and Good Luck to those who decide to move on, Sawadee Kap to those I may meet at some point...

Best of luck with the teaching gig. I'm in a similar position myself. I would advise that you get the best qualifications possible though, as things certainly seem to be tightening up there too. I am currently doing my PGCE in an attempt to stay ahead of the game.

Haven't read thru all the replies yet but this seems like another piece of Thai crass stupidity.

The area has a huge number of long stay tourists who at any time of life take a year out....a sabbatical ...a gap year...a retirement holiday...call it what you like. They spend a lot of money touring S.E. Asia and this will effectively cut Thailand out of the loop for many of them. They may not always be the highest of spenders but over the course of a year they will spend a substantial amount of money in the region, far exceeding any 2 week package tourist....but if Thailand doesn't want their business, so be it.

There is also the impact on business. Many people who visit the region end up buying or selling in the region...it is unlikely that they all use business visas at first....so this is just another obstacle for them too.

This is classic Thai "legislation"...someone gets an idea; no-one will tell him it's crap...the idea gets publicised....everybody laughs at it ....and finally so the nit who thought of it doesn't lose face the idea is "postponed" and shelved where it hangs around on the legislative archives waiting for some other nitwit to re-discover it.......etc etc........

I'm sure that there are another 101 reasons why this won't work too.

Stricter rules on Tourist visas issued in Penang from February 1, 2008

Thaivisa.com have been advised that the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Penang as from TOMORROW, February 1 2008, will only issue Tourist Visas to those in possession of an air ticket departing from Thailand to an international destination not local in the same region. (i.e. not Vietnam, Malaysia or similar.)

My second home is Viet Nam, I have a VN wife and the relevant visas. Surely the Thai government is not thinking of forcing people in my position to have to go somewhere other than where their home and family are in order to be able to visit Thailand?????

Edited nested quotes

Edited by PattayaParent

Well! just how easy isit to get a long term turist visa in EU for a thai citizen? Or in US? I'm sure of that it can't be done by going in and out of the border. The visa rules in Thailand are indeed very generously compared with EU and US.

What a load of cr@p!

If you're going to comment on immigration rules in other countries please educate yourself before posting such rubbish.

I'm a citizen of Schengen country and married to a Thai citizen, for your information my wife and I married in my home country to where she came on a tourist visa!!

Upon marriage to me and showing a marriage cert. her visa was changed to a one year visa with work permit. Her work permit had no limitations, i.e. she could work with whatever she desired (no requirement of any number of nationals in her workplace or registered capital of her employer,her work permit was pre approved ).

There was no 90 day reporting, no reentry permit and no fees involved in this. She could also travel to any country in Europe if she so desired (Shengen visa).

Upon renewing her visa, witch we forgot about, and did three months late (try that in Thailand), she got permanent residency (witch by Shengen rules have to be renewed every three years) again no fees involved (but this is easier in Thailand?) .

Her permanent residency was renewed after three years(5 min. at the local police station for a new stamp, again no fees) By this time she was qualified for citizenship (pointed out by the local police) so she applied, and three months later she was a citizen. no fees for this either (easier in Thailand?). Both our two kids and my wife are dual citizens, Thai and my country.

After we married there was no requirement for her to show income of any sort to get her one year visa(easier in Thailand?), compare that to Thailand witch require in the neighborhood of four times a normal(not minimum witch is closer to eight times) income of male foreigners wanting to stay with their spouses.

Nope, she could just stay and enjoy here life. My family and I are now living in Thailand, as a family and I have no problem what so ever with getting my one year extensions, but my wife is royally ashamed of how the Thai immigration treats foreigners.

I would think most married men living here have wifes like this. For those of you belittling anyone not on an non immigrant visa, witch is as of now a proper visa.

Get down from your high horses, and start smelling the coffee. I think the writing is on the wall,

first they took away the visa exempt entry, the investment visa,

the non immigrant O extensions with 400K in the bank

and extension of non immi. O for fathers.

Now they take away the tourist visa, Knowing the Thais I know it ain't gonna stop there. It won't stop until and unless re precautions are coming their way. To the old farts I have two words: start packing and sell whatever isn't packable cuz I guess next year the retirement is axed, and then goes the marriage extensions and the non immigrant B extensions. In a year or two (with a redressed TRT at the helm) we're all sitting here asking ourselves what happened?

In the mean time, by all means, convince yourselves that you're safe, and that it's the visa runners they're after I on the other hand would like to leave this country with dignity witch to me means I take the decision, instead of being told to leave, within seven days.

To those that think it's hard to get a visa for Thai's in the EU (don't know about the US) you are totally wrong, and if Thai's can show a level of income that is eight times the minimum vague there, they will get a visa by themselves.

And to the high horses brigade (you know who you are) there's a special on humble pie at Villa this weekend, try it out it might fill you!! :o

good luck to all, I think we need it!

Morty

Not affected yet, but want to leave in dignity, when the time comes.

Comming also from Shengen country & married in my home country with Thai wife, I can only agree to all of the above

What he forget is following things :

In Europe, we have social welfare ....

- lose your job : get unemployment money, also for Thai married nationals

- losing your job does not mean have to leave the country in 7 days (how rude!)

- almost free health care, also for married Thai married nationals

- have no more money to live : social welfare, free money, also for married Thai married nationals

- Thai nationals can buy land, house, they are not overprotected as here, LAND FOR EVERYBODY with money

- Thai nationals can apply for jobs equal to everybody, no need to protect local jobs as farming, taxi driving and the whole list of exemptions/forbidden for farang

Workers are threated equally, paid the same, not bothered with visa runs, reentry stamps, 90 days reporting

Farang comming to Thailand come to relax and spend their money here ... and eventually work asking a lot of rubbish paperwork, needing to go out & back in the country, asking a non B in another embassy outside the country !

Threathing Thai nationals in Europe , the same way as Farang are abused here, then you would go to jail for discrimination or rascism !

Edited by thaibkk

They want to get rid of all the sex tourists. :o

I'll be waiting for the rest of you to show up.

Philippines? I might show up there the day the filipinos and the filipinas learn the last 6 commandments. Or rather, the day they add the missing word "NOT" to the last 6 commandments.

Cambodia is rapidly becoming a country so corrupt and lawless that it threatens the very stability of the nation. And the prices there are also rising at an alarming level.

Why not go to Malaysia? It has the fantastic MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) scheme, that will give you a 10 year visa for requirements many of us can meet.

And if not, they give most of us 90 days on entry. No questions asked.

They will also arrest you if you are found queing in the same line as the ladies if you are a man in your local supermarket. :o

I think they see it more as a way to combat foreigners working illigaly in Thailand

Very true Robbloc. Then again, are farang working illegally stealing jobs from Thais ? I haven't seen to many farang taxi drivers, policemen, etc. around town. These rules keep getting tighter due to paranoid law makers more than anything else.

Yes, don't let farang buy land and houses if you must but why scare away people who spend money here ? I can see the Philippine government smiling from here. It will only benefit them.

I do not understand the reasoing not letting farangs purchase homes/ land. Can we take it anywhere????

These issues might be as simple as power/control and money. I wonder who will be impacted more if the goose that laid the golden egg dies? And I imagine it is easier to monitor/control people w/out power than to SEE/focus on high officals and or the wealthy.

Well! It all seems to me that Thailand is becoming one of them places

you can file under ‘nice place to visit but wouldn’t want to live there’

dam_n shame in’it?

Please can people who are going to other embassy’s in the local area

(Laos, Cam, Sing, Malay) give feedback on what they think the score is there.

cheers

I'm an American making a pile of money on the internet, and not paying any Thai taxes...

There is no reason for you to pay any Thai INCOME taxes as the work you do and the money you collect for doing it has no relation to Thailand (not for Thai company or Thai clients and not Thai citizen or legal resident). As to not paying any Thai taxes...ever noticed that 7% charge tacked onto EVERY good or service (ehem except some :o ) you purchase in Thailand. THAT IS CALLED A TAX...the VAT so every person (Thai or expatriate) is contributing to their share of the government's tax revenues.

That's absolutely true: I get a $20,000 check every year from the IRS for living in Thailand and not paying taxes here. (Thank you America for the Overseas Tax Credit.) I'm not saying it's right, legal, or acceptable to Thailand... but Thailand let me do it up until now. Theoretically, I still could do it if I was willing to do visa runs to Prague, or go back to America and get 1-year visas like a sensible fellow, but my goal isn't to stay in Thailand anyway. These new visa rules are just what it takes to get me up and out, and I'm sure that is just what they wanted. Like I said though... no problem with me.

If your already paying taxes then ok i take back my words but there are a lot of ppl who think it is their right not to pay any taxes. But like i said earlier they must make working here legit easier.

Well, I don't pay taxes in effect because everything I pay to the IRS over the course of the year gets refunded. That's another reason I never applied for a work permit and kept working on a tourist visa: Why get involved with the Thai tax system if I didn't have to? I didn't want to, my company asked me not to, and it would cost me money that I didn't otherwise have to pay.

Well like I said: I was spending 100% of the millions of baht I earned every year (including all the tax money I got back from the IRS) in Thailand. Now I'm not. If that is what makes the Thai government happy, more power to them.

If moving is no problem for you, then what were the " millions of baht " being spent on? Just curious. :o

I wonder if they've seen an increase in marriage licenses lately? :o

Actually the last time I went to Phibun Mangsahan to try and get a tourist visa extension I was told the only way they could do it was if I produced a marriage certificate. So I went to Savannaket and got a new tourist visa with no problem. When I returned to Phibun with my marriage certificate they gave me a one time 60 day extension. Who knows what this means. It could be their intent to get more to marry or leave.

They want to get rid of all the sex tourists. :o

Sex tourists, well, this weekend I was in Pattaya with my family ...

never have i seen / heard more RUSSIANS everywhere ...

as one pointed out here in a previous post, even russian hookers in plain site, with the police doing nothing about it... guess they just had been paid their commission ....

This will be the last I will post on this. If you still think that a person cannot claim the credit on their income from a US company while living in another country, well, it does not really matter to me what you think because I have the IRS on my side.

I can confirm this having lived overseas in various jobs while being paid in US dollars to my US accounts from our US office, including times that I lived in middle eastern countries that assessed no income taxes. Our company tax professionals, several of whom are ex-IRS, were available to help us with our returns, and we all got the exclusion.

However, I believe that the guy working for a US company from Thailand owes Thailand income tax under Thai law.

I am getting this US tax credit also (based on presence test method). It all seems like a grey area to me. I mean this day and age where one has the option to "virtually" work from anywhere. How does tax law, residency and working status account for it. None of the examples online mention anything about "virtual" work.

My company has clients in 45 different countries (none of which are Thailand) and I service those clients via an Internet connection (regardless of my location). I do not have any business relationships or interactions with Thai nationals while performing my job. I am not doing business in Thailand period.

In the US if someone is a resident of California and working for a company based in another state you will pay taxes to the state in which you maintain residence (California)... even if you are working virtually from anywhere else in the world (vacation home, hotel room, internet cafe, etc.). Technically I am not a resident of Thailand and I am still a resident of California and continue to pay California state taxes.

Of course I don't know anything about Thai tax law, but it seems unreasonable to me that I would owe Thailand income tax given the following:

1. They won't allow me to have resident status.

2. I can't own land.

3. I can't own a house.

4. I can't own a car.

5. I can't benefit from any public service programs.

6. The money I spend in Thailand is already taxed in the US.

Why would they think I need to pay income tax?

That is hitting the nail directly on the head. The Thai government has been trying to stop illegal working for years and may have just found a way to do that. They want the tax revenue for folks who have been running dive shops, bars and mini-marts illegally and been living on a VOA for years. These folks for the most part have not been paying their share into the Thai coffers.

I find it fascinating. Rather than address CORRUPTION b/c perhaps those making govt. decisions would be affected, the focus is on the individuals who have no power. I wonder how much money Thailand would have paid them if the focus started at the top? Oh but then laws would need to be followed and consequences dolled out if they were not. And then there’s the idea of “saving face” i.e. denial of the Truth.

Humn????? Interesting indeed.

I've circumvented the Thai's by getting an APEC card (Asia Pacific Economic Conference). Took me about 5 months to get as police checks had to be done in all 30, or so, member countries but well worth it as it gives me a 90 day entry stamp on arrival, regardless of how many times I come and go. It's well woth having if your an Australian or kiwi (Austalia and NZ APEC members) as the 90 day entry on arrival applies to all member countries. It's good for three years and is renewable.

Is that the same APEC as the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation? Then it also applies for US & Canadian citizens and there are 21 members in total. It also includes Russia and I doubt they would let anyone in visa free for 90 days. Anyway, can you point the way to any links explaining how to get the card?

All you guys that are comparing Thailand to Cambo/Phils really seem to have your collective heads up someplace very dark. I mean, have any of you guys actually spent much time in either place? As some have replied, there IS a reason why Thailand is so much for popular as an expatriate destination than either of these places (and it has nothing to do with the "wine, women and song," which is more or less the same among all these destinations).

I mean, Thailand would more appropriately be compared with Malaysia, than with either Cambo/Phils. Thailand is a nicely developing 2nd world country...quite comfortable in terms of infrastructure, creature comforts, an safety. The Phils is a country that has been going down hill for 20 years and is slipping from 3rd world status to 4th. Cambo is stuck in 5th world status in terms of safety, infrastructure, and general amenities.

Thailand Pluses:

Good road, rail, and domestic air infrastructure

Good and reasonable priced hospitals and clinics

Good and clean/safe food supplies

Generally non-judgmental culture

Reasonable selection of foreign made goods (electronics, homegoods, food items, etc.

Generally safe environment (petty crime)

others I cannot think of at the moment

Cambo Pluses:

Can purchase 1-year business stay visa

Can't really think of any others in particular.

Phil Pluses:

Friendly people/culture

English language proficiency

Easier long-stay type visas

Cambo/Phil Minuses:

Complete lack of quality health care in both countries

Very poor food quality (both in terms of ingredients and food preparation)

Very poor sanitation (food prep and environment)

poor domestic transportation infrastructure (roads/rail/air)

Rampant government/police corruption (this is Thai problem too but generally doesn't personally effect foreigners)

Very poor personal security situation (petty crime)

Massive environmental pollution

Weather (especially Phils: about a dozen serious typhoons every year)

Sure, relocating to Cambo/Phils is an option but please don't infer that there is any equileivnce to living in Thailand and Cambo/Phils!

It seems rather clear, or as clear as it can get, that tourists are visitors. People here long term are not tourists. They work from their computers or mom and pop send a stipend to get them by. They have jobs or businesses, pay taxes or not, work or not, but they are not tourists and should not be awarded continuous tourist visas just because it is easy for them. The "millionaire" posters here can easily secure year-round visas as investors and us old guys can spend an hour a year renewing our retirement visas.

People here for the long term should follow the rules not try to just meander around them. If you are not qualified to be here find somewhere else where you're welcome. Yes, in some cases it will be a great loss to Thailand that you will no longer be able to contribute to the bottom line of the economy but it is their loss. Your new country of choice will hopefully welcome you with open arms. Please don't ruin it for me in your country of choice as the visa rules here change often and I may be joining you at any moment.

I am getting this US tax credit also (based on presence test method). It all seems like a grey area to me. I mean this day and age where one has the option to "virtually" work from anywhere. How does tax law, residency and working status account for it. None of the examples online mention anything about "virtual" work.

Only because laws (visa, tax) are behind the times. In Thailand for example, even most of the foreigners I meet are surprised that I'm working virtually from half way across the world. I can't see the IRS pushing for new tax laws to cover the few thousand of us living abroad and working virtually. As it becomes more prevalent I'm sure they will.

Of course I don't know anything about Thai tax law, but it seems unreasonable to me that I would owe Thailand income tax given the following:

1. They won't allow me to have resident status.

2. I can't own land.

3. I can't own a house.

4. I can't own a car.

5. I can't benefit from any public service programs.

6. The money I spend in Thailand is already taxed in the US.

Why would they think I need to pay income tax?

cause it is the law here if you are here for more than half the year.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

1. Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into "resident" and "non-resident". "Resident" means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand on a cash basis, regardless where the money is paid, as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

meaning, if you live in Thailand, earn money offshore and it stays offshore, it is untaxable. You bring it into Thailand though, then the revenue department wants their share (and fairly so seeing you are living here and using public infrastructure, subsidised electricity, water, roads etc etc etc).

Then it also applies for US & Canadian citizens and there are 21 members in total

Yes America is a part of APEC but the APEC business card and visa privileges ARE NOT available for Americans :o The reason being is that America has not subscribed to the various APEC treaties/agreements that provide for the APEC business card travel benefits. So therefore, American can't get the card from their own goverment and other APEC citizens who have the card can't use them to enter the US either.

Of course, this was all done in the name of security (read American paranoia). The fear being that OBL would apply for such a card at the Saudi consulate in the mountains of Waziristan and so would gain visa-free entry into the USA on his next attempt to blow-up some or other building there.

Edited by JonnieB

if they want an airticket for international destination.............

where is the problem???? compare to all shit before ( visa canncelation of investmentvisa and and and)

airticket no problem................

go to a good agency, buy a onewayticket from gulfair or whatever,,pay 15 or 20k,,ghet an iata ticket no electronic ticket

when you come back from your visatrip give it for refund cost 500-1.500 depend on agency

( if you have a friend in,,, they print the jataticket to london, and just cancell it with the airline a minute later, they give you the ticket and you HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK LATER !!!! i payed one time 500 thb for a gulfairticket for the mono ebassy in pilippines but even there not get visa with international airticket)

so all in all ! it makes your trip 500-1500 baht more expensive

1. Taxable Person

as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand

and i am sure that is what most foreigners do...bring only enough to cover their living expenses. the question also arises that are the retireds living here liable for tax on the money they bring over as they generally reside for over 180 days a year.

Also, correction to quoted portion:

You can own a car and house (just not the land under it...distinction without a difference in most cases)

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ... well, perhaps not.

What is this hype about Thai immigration regulations...

I for one won't set my foot in the US any more due to the craze you have to go through to get a visa (been there, studied, there, etc... cannot comprehend their ultimate paranoia)

I've circumvented the Thai's by getting an APEC card (Asia Pacific Economic Conference). Took me about 5 months to get as police checks had to be done in all 30, or so, member countries but well worth it as it gives me a 90 day entry stamp on arrival, regardless of how many times I come and go. It's well woth having if your an Australian or kiwi (Austalia and NZ APEC members) as the 90 day entry on arrival applies to all member countries. It's good for three years and is renewable.

Is that the same APEC as the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation? Then it also applies for US & Canadian citizens and there are 21 members in total. It also includes Russia and I doubt they would let anyone in visa free for 90 days. Anyway, can you point the way to any links explaining how to get the card?

It's the same APEC, but not all countries fully participate in the card program...

http://loki.apecsec.org.sg/apec/news___med...ardextends.html

APEC Business Travel Card Extends its Reach

Issued by the APEC Business Mobility Group

Canberra, Australia, January 25, 2007

The use of the APEC Business Travel Card could be extended to all 21 APEC member economies following discussions on the scheme at the first meeting of the APEC Business Mobility Group (BMG) in Canberra today.

The Chair of the BMG, Mr. Vincent McMahon, said that the four non-participating APEC members - Canada, Mexico, Russia and the United States - had all indicated at the meeting that they were exploring options to participate in the scheme.

"Full participation of all member economies in the scheme, which was initiated by Australia in 1996, has always been the target," Mr. McMahon said. "It is now within reach."

Mr. McMahon said that the United States is recognising the card at its border, Mexico's intention is to give card holders "priority processing" at its borders shortly. Both Canada and Russia are exploring the implications of membership.

"The prospect of having all Member Economies on board is an exciting development for the APEC Business Travel Card," he said. "We still have a way to go yet but I think that we can get there."

The APEC Business Travel Card is available to senior business people who, in one application process, are granted three year multiple entry visas to participating economies. More than 17,000 cards had been issued, which potentially translates into 1 million visas.

Mr. McMahon said the BMG also made significant progress in establishing a Regional Movement Alert System for detecting lost or stolen passports which is designed to increase the safety of international travel. Three APEC economies currently operate in the scheme and Mr. McMahon said they were talking with other economies to adopt the system and extend its functionality.

"As was noted in the 9/11 Commission report, travel documents are as important to terrorists as weapons," Mr. McMahon said.

"The Regional Movement Alert System has already detected hundreds of invalid passports.

"Ultimately better systems of facilitating regional travel such as the Regional Movement Alert System also means safer travel," he said.

For further information on the APEC Business Travel Card go to: www.businessmobility.org

It seems rather clear, or as clear as it can get, that tourists are visitors. People here long term are not tourists. They work from their computers or mom and pop send a stipend to get them by. They have jobs or businesses, pay taxes or not, work or not, but they are not tourists and should not be awarded continuous tourist visas just because it is easy for them. The "millionaire" posters here can easily secure year-round visas as investors and us old guys can spend an hour a year renewing our retirement visas.

People here for the long term should follow the rules not try to just meander around them. If you are not qualified to be here find somewhere else where you're welcome. Yes, in some cases it will be a great loss to Thailand that you will no longer be able to contribute to the bottom line of the economy but it is their loss. Your new country of choice will hopefully welcome you with open arms. Please don't ruin it for me in your country of choice as the visa rules here change often and I may be joining you at any moment.

To clarify we need to establish the definition of "long term". I can agree that if someone wants to stay for many years (5, 10, 20, ?) then they should be able to find a way that doesn't include Tourist Visa. I would think that they would want to in order to avoid the hassles. But for some, 2 years is long term and some of us can be "on holiday" for that long or even longer. I'm here on a Tourist Visa, following the rules of Thailand. Maybe I'll stay a year or two. As long as they continue to give me the visas, it means I'm not breaking their rules whatever the definition of "tourist" is. Besides, my first TV was a double entry which means I can be a tourist/visitor for up to 6 months. What definition of tourist is Thailand using if they give me 6 months and allow me to go get another somewhere else?