Penang To Impose Stricter Rules When Issuing Tourist Visas

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By way of comparison.

I have just applied for a 3 year residence permit in a pleasant Mediterranean country,

with one foot in Asia and the other in Europe.

The requirements are:

Show an income of $3000 pm from financial transactions.

No need to bring it all into the country, just enough to live on.

OR have $200,000 in a local bank, earning interest at market rates!

In either case the person has to sign an affidavit not to do paid work in the country.

No age restrictions.

The fee - $600 for the three years.

Edited by somchai69

This we all should do, instead of complaining here :

Send a written complaint to your Embassy (country of origin), explain the difficulties you meet with the never ending visa changes. When your embassy get enough complaints, I bet the embassy will make a formal "request" to the Thai Goverment, about their strict (failed) visa policy, and ask them to consider more "foreign friendly" changes.

You might say "they'll never change" but I bet more happend, than if we all just sit here and "weening" like a bunch of old women :-)

I've done it already (sent a written complaint, that is) lol.

LOS is dead = LOFF (Land Off Frustrated Foreigners)

But this is a long way before anything happend (if ever). In the meantime, all of us end up without a visa - so - we all move to neighbour more visa friendly country. And Thailand will loose 500-600 Billion Baht every year .....

Talk about Failed Visa Policy !

How about someone starting an online petition?

http://www.petitiononline.com/

It's free to do. I've signed some before. You're allowed to enter comments as well. Thaivisa has about 40,000 members (I think - not sure how many are active) so this would be a good place to start. I'm not enough of an activist myself to start it but I would be willing to sign. Of course, maybe the gov't would check the names and start denying visas. Hmmm.

Whilst there must be some people who are or may be unfairly treated by this apparent new rule (like early retired at 49 etc )it seems to me there are far too many bums, dead-beats, and assorted other foreign losers staying in Thailand indefinitely probably living on welfare handouts from their own countries who we can really do without here.Those of us here legally and long time get exasperated by these people who are trying to stay here indefinitely like on extended tourist visa's and just make it bad for the rest of us.

So thank you Thai Immigration and please get rid of these undesirables as quickly as possible!

what a load of S***e. feel good about yourself do you?

i live here legally on tourist visa's. whats the problem? and how do we make it worse for you? we play by the rules the same as you do.

some on here are shocking

Whilst there must be some people who are or may be unfairly treated by this apparent new rule (like early retired at 49 etc )it seems to me there are far too many bums, dead-beats, and assorted other foreign losers staying in Thailand indefinitely probably living on welfare handouts from their own countries who we can really do without here.Those of us here legally and long time get exasperated by these people who are trying to stay here indefinitely like on extended tourist visa's and just make it bad for the rest of us.

So thank you Thai Immigration and please get rid of these undesirables as quickly as possible!

what a load of S***e. feel good about yourself do you?

i live here legally on tourist visa's. whats the problem? and how do we make it worse for you? we play by the rules the same as you do.

some on here are shocking

Agreed, the immigration brownnosers are offensive. It is hard to understand why they are so enthusiastic to applaud every new crackdown from immigration. Why do they identify with people that can kick them out next if they want to? Stockholm Syndrome is my only theory.

Edited by Jingthing

I know those under 50 or not married to a Thai have some difficulty, but every country's immigration laws adversly affect some people. Sad, but that's life. Quite frankly I think that the Thai Government could do more to accomodate these people. At the end of the day, however, it is their country and if foreigners want to live here they must respect the laws and customs of the land.

Anyone who cannot afford a return trip to their own country once a year to get the necessary visas cannot be in a position to contribute that much to the Thai ecconomy. Air fare are not that expensive these days.

Quite frankly some farang who cannot find some way to stay here legally have an inflated idea of their importance to the Thai ecconomy.

1: Some difficulty" ? I must soon leave Thailand. my girlfriend and baby bec I under 50 and "red stamp" already, and not get a NON imm visa in my country.

2: IF i go back home and apply, I get 2 entry tourist visa at best - and the travel + visa fee totals B 80.000. That's quit hefty for only 6 month stay in a third world country.(Can afford it - but is it worth it)

3:"contribute", well, I and most of my foreign friend transfer and spend 1-3 Million Baht every year. I guess each "contribute" more than 15-50 people from this country. Thailand not need? remember how it was here 10-20 years before?

Hate to inform you but if you are working in Thailand without a WP or paying taxes then claiming the overseas tax exemption to also avoid US taxes is criminal tax evasion. You do not have income derived from a job overseas. You have US income paid out to you overseas. You have to pay taxes somewhere.

When the IRS audits you, you are fuc_ked. Minimum of back taxes plus 20% and compounded interest with probable jail time.

I would get a good US tax attorney and tax accountant if I was you and clean this up while you can still claim a mistake based on ignorance.

I took a long time studying this, and... well... I won't bring out all the IRS forms and regulations here, but I'll just direct you at this link, with this part highlighted:

You will love the earned-income exclusion

The idea of double taxation doesn't wash in this country. So, states with income taxes let you may give you a credit on taxes you paid to another state. Congress has a similar attitude toward taxes you pay abroad. You shouldn't pay taxes twice. So, theres a special rule for earned income, if you qualify. For 2005, qualified taxpayers can exclude from gross income as much as $80,000 in income earned while living abroad.

This exclusion applies regardless of the amount of tax paid to the foreign country.

My company and I have been paying taxes to the IRS, and H&R Block has been filing my taxes, and the IRS has been giving me my Overseas Tax Credit for the last 4 years. If there was going to be a problem, I imagine (heh: I hope) my accountant or the IRS would have caught it by now.

(I will add though, CTM, that you did get me nervous there for a few minutes, and had me going back and double-checking all the research I had done before. Sheesh. :o )

I still think this is wrong and so will the IRS. You don’t have “foreign earned income”! You want foreign earned income then form a company in Thailand, get a WP, proper visa, and have the company invoice the US company for your services.

Just because the IRS lackeys have not picked up on what you are doing does not make it legal and acceptable. It takes them years to get around to this stuff and probably never will but the fact you are a high income earner claiming a large income deduction puts you at greater risk for audit. Right now the IRS is not “giving it to you”…you are claiming the deduction and may be ruled against in the future. This is how people end up with insurmountable debts to the IRS. It takes them years to disallow the deductions and by the time they do your $80,000 (20x4) is now hundreds of thousands after penalties and interest.

The odds your local H&R Block tax preparer understands much about international taxation is slim. But, you got a “tax professional” to sign off on it then you should be protected from criminal prosecution since you have made a good faith effort to pay correctly. You might have a case against H&R Block if the IRS rules against your deduction.

Did you miss the part in red? You are not suffering from double taxation. By what you are saying, you are trying to avoid ANY taxation of $80,000 in income since you don’t pay taxes in Thailand which you should be (but don’t worry, it’s not like the Thais will every catch you.)

This whole “I live outside the US so I don’t have to pay taxes even on US earned income” is nonsense especially since you have no legitimate business reason for not physically being in America to perform your US job for a US company.

From your linked article:

You will love the earned-income exclusion…..

• Foreign earned income includes foreign-source wages, salaries, bonuses, commissions,…. Are your wages foreign sourced? No.

“See if you qualify for the foreign tax credit

Any foreign taxes you pay can either be deducted as an itemized deduction on your U.S. federal return as you would treat state income taxes, or potentially taken as a credit against your U.S. tax bill.” You didn’t pay any foreign taxes so you get no deduction.

I think it's all about income taxes and nothing specifically anti-farang.

The Thai Government sees farang as a potential income source in the present. Maybe they think the law will change behavior of some farang to work "legit"?

I don't think they're concerned about the economy, long-term growth, and the resulting future higher tax revenues.

The rules aren't only changing for Tourist Visa's.

I currently run a Thai business, on a Non-Im B and have Work Permit. I employ 5 Thai nationals and they do real work.

Last year, Immigration said they would not renew my Visa because my company did not show a profit in 2006 (the first 6 months of its existence). Re: No Corporate Income tax was paid.

The Immigration Officer asked if was married to a Thai national, which I am.

He advised me to re-apply for the Thai Spouse Support Visa. Since my salary was above the required minimum, the Visa was renewed without problems.

The problem wasn't me as a farang; they just wanted my presence to result in regular tax revenue.

Just asking.

Is it that hard to make a fake E-ticket?

Can they check it? Maybe but probably not.

Or booking a full price 1 year valid fully modifiable and refundable ticket. exchange it between each run and asking for a refund every year.

Do it with Thai airways obviously ( owned by the thai govt )

Scam the scammers

Note: this post does not reflect the views or opinons of the poster.

Using fake ticket is illegal. Don't do it. Buying a ticket only to have it modified and refunded is not nice.

BUY A FULL PRICED 'FULLY FLEXIBLE' AIR TICKET from any airline. make sure its 100% refundable (without any penalties).

so,, now you have your PROOF of departure to show at any consulate.

I am sure you can figure out what to do with the ticket when youre back to thailand!!

what i think, it's also better this way. it's really unfair for people working hard, for a visa to stay. what do you think? :o be legal. it's difficult to say, but, if you've stayed long enough, then you should think. the law's always change, right? still there's a way & a chance. but frankly speaking, dont be abusive. do something right. we will all face difficulties if we dont do right things. :D there will be no stricter rules to people who knows what's right. For Employer's, who provide non-b visas & work permit's, thank you :D . For the other employer's, pls. provide your workers the same.

Hate to inform you but if you are working in Thailand without a WP or paying taxes then claiming the overseas tax exemption to also avoid US taxes is criminal tax evasion. You do not have income derived from a job overseas. You have US income paid out to you overseas. You have to pay taxes somewhere.

When the IRS audits you, you are fuc_ked. Minimum of back taxes plus 20% and compounded interest with probable jail time.

I would get a good US tax attorney and tax accountant if I was you and clean this up while you can still claim a mistake based on ignorance.

I took a long time studying this, and... well... I won't bring out all the IRS forms and regulations here, but I'll just direct you at this link, with this part highlighted:

You will love the earned-income exclusion

The idea of double taxation doesn't wash in this country. So, states with income taxes let you may give you a credit on taxes you paid to another state. Congress has a similar attitude toward taxes you pay abroad. You shouldn't pay taxes twice. So, theres a special rule for earned income, if you qualify. For 2005, qualified taxpayers can exclude from gross income as much as $80,000 in income earned while living abroad.

This exclusion applies regardless of the amount of tax paid to the foreign country.

My company and I have been paying taxes to the IRS, and H&R Block has been filing my taxes, and the IRS has been giving me my Overseas Tax Credit for the last 4 years. If there was going to be a problem, I imagine (heh: I hope) my accountant or the IRS would have caught it by now.

(I will add though, CTM, that you did get me nervous there for a few minutes, and had me going back and double-checking all the research I had done before. Sheesh. :o )

I still think this is wrong and so will the IRS. You don't have "foreign earned income"! You want foreign earned income then form a company in Thailand, get a WP, proper visa, and have the company invoice the US company for your services.

Just because the IRS lackeys have not picked up on what you are doing does not make it legal and acceptable. It takes them years to get around to this stuff and probably never will but the fact you are a high income earner claiming a large income deduction puts you at greater risk for audit. Right now the IRS is not "giving it to you"…you are claiming the deduction and may be ruled against in the future. This is how people end up with insurmountable debts to the IRS. It takes them years to disallow the deductions and by the time they do your $80,000 (20x4) is now hundreds of thousands after penalties and interest.

The odds your local H&R Block tax preparer understands much about international taxation is slim. But, you got a "tax professional" to sign off on it then you should be protected from criminal prosecution since you have made a good faith effort to pay correctly. You might have a case against H&R Block if the IRS rules against your deduction.

Did you miss the part in red? You are not suffering from double taxation. By what you are saying, you are trying to avoid ANY taxation of $80,000 in income since you don't pay taxes in Thailand which you should be (but don't worry, it's not like the Thais will every catch you.)

This whole "I live outside the US so I don't have to pay taxes even on US earned income" is nonsense especially since you have no legitimate business reason for not physically being in America to perform your US job for a US company.

• Foreign earned income includes foreign-source wages, salaries, bonuses, commissions,…. Are your wages foreign sourced? No.

"See if you qualify for the foreign tax credit

Any foreign taxes you pay can either be deducted as an itemized deduction on your U.S. federal return as you would treat state income taxes, or potentially taken as a credit against your U.S. tax bill." You didn't pay any foreign taxes so you get no deduction.

(1) "This exclusion applies regardless of the amount of tax paid to the foreign country."

(2) Like I said, I didn't want to link to the IRS documents: You'd never find the point I wanted to make among all the legalese, and it's my fault for not explaining it myself, but... In order to get an $80,000 deduction from any income that the IRS can tax (any income, mind you, not just income earned in a country other than America), you only need prove that you spent less than 35 days per year in America. This is done by submitting the "Physical Presence Test" (I think it is form 1116 or something like that... I don't recall off the top of my head). See JSTUMBO's post #165 in this thread, as he "backs me up."

Once again, sorry for not providing documentation to all of this... but I assure you that the Overseas Tax Credit (and I will admit: to the best of my knowledge... but I know as well as you do what is at stake if I am wrong, and that means I'm pretty confident) is applied and approved for exactly the situation I am in: For those tax payers earning an American salary from an American company while working in a foreign country.

Addendum: Just as an afterthought, if the Overseas Tax Credit applied only to income earned from companies outside of the United States, then almost nobody would qualify for it, all of the people working in petrochemicals, finance, or what-have-you who are assigned overseas by their American employer would be ineligible. The only people who would qualify for this are people who are employed by a foreign company in a foreign country... and that, actually, is covered by a separate tax deduction, called the Foreign Tax Credit, I believe.

Edited by JIP

One last post on this. This should put it to rest. These quotes are from the IRS website.

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must meet all three of the following requirements.

1. Your tax home must be in a foreign country.
  2. You must have foreign earned income.
  3. You must be either:

1. A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
    2. A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
    3. A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.

Here are definitions of each of the above from the same IRS document on the IRS website.

1) Tax Home

Your tax home is the general area of your main place of business, employment, or post of duty, regardless of where you maintain your family home. Your tax home is the place where you are permanently or indefinitely engaged to work as an employee or self-employed individual.

2) Foreign Income

Foreign earned income generally is income you receive for services you perform during a period in which you meet both of the following requirements.
  1. Your tax home is in a foreign country.
  2. You meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test.

3c) Physical Presence Test

You meet the physical presence test if you are physically present in a foreign country or countries 330 full days during a period of 12 consecutive months. The 330 days do not have to be consecutive. Any U.S. citizen or resident alien can use the physical presence test to qualify for the exclusions and the deduction.

This will be the last I will post on this. If you still think that a person cannot claim the credit on their income from a US company while living in another country, well, it does not really matter to me what you think because I have the IRS on my side.

Visa applications are a little like loan applications. When the criteria become too loosely enforced you end up with a subprime crisis.

What crisis? There is no crisis here. How's the weather in Stockholm?

It's easy to see why you have 4260 posts in 15 months.

I'd explain the analogy to you, but then you'd probably run up to 5000 posts before the weekend.

:o

In my opinion, it's some kind of discrimination. Foreigners have to pay taxes, no matter if they working or just only married to a Thai Lady, if they want stay. In Europe or US everryone pays taxes, not only foreigners. For example: What would happen if all Thai Citizens who lives in Europe or US get double taxed overseas, because they are foreigners? Of corse, they would feel bad and discriminated. In another way i feel that long stayers are not welcome. Longstayers building new families, new generations, better educated, much smarter, everybody speaks english, they using internet, they get more information from outside Thailand. What happen when the average Citizens getting to smart, to smart maybe? In another way they need tourists who come here and spending the money so fast as possibile and go back home. But we can't change any rules overhere, because we are only guests in this country. But then again: how difficult it is for Thais to get a Visa to Europe or even in US? Almost impossible. No wonder why Thais tigthen the rules for us. Europe or US should let Thais travel more easy. I' my self travel a lot to USA, specialy to Hawaii. Why all this Chineses can can go and stay there, but Thais not even travel go there? I'm married to a Thaigirl too and next time i plan to take here to Hawaii, maybe in April. I'll let you know if she can go with me or not, or if i have to travel alone.

Foreigners in Thailand, its time to unite and fight against these stupid immigration laws

Yes, it' time we all relocate to Cambo and Phils :o

Both have very little to offer compared to Thailand , why do you think this place is so much more popular ?

(1) The Philippines and Cambodia are cheaper than Thailand.

(2) The Philippines and Cambodia don't have the tough visa requirements of Thailand.

(3) The Philippines and Cambodia offer the same tropical and exotic living as Thailand.

(4) The Philippines and Cambodia are (currently) more welcoming to foreigners.

The law is the law and tourist visa's were not meant to be used for living in Thailand and the goverment has been very lax with the laws regarding this.

I agree. It was the relaxed visa rules that led me to move here in the first place. It was either here or Brazil, but Brazil requires you to fly home to your own country every 6 months. Hence, I came to Thailand. Since Thailand will soon be like Brazil, I'm moving on.

Want to live in Thailand , secure the correct visa to do so or go live in somewhere else.

I agree. That's what I'm doing.

Good enough....be gone with you.

However, if our paths cross I will buy the first round

Just out of curiousity - why is the Thai Gouvernment so "Anti Long Stay Tourist" ...... I know alot of guys that work in the UK / Europe for 6 months during srping / summer, save up alot of cash, then go to Thailand for the autumn / winter (6 months) and spend all that cash...... I'm talking like 10 grand...... as in half a million Baht..... surely that is a good thing for the country? I can understand why they would want to stop foriegners buying up land & houses, pushing up prices etc., but what is wrong with people hanging around spending what is locally a hel_l of alot of money..... this money is filtering back up the entire country one way or another..... the typical long stay tourist is not exaclt a burden on the state?

Just seems pointless to me........... could some one fill me in?

Having been in thailand for 8 yrs and spending millions of baht on both house building and rental,general shopping and living costs,helping various poor families and not so poor families get a relatively good life started,and on top of this, giving no one a hard time,BUT only helping the general economy and still not understanding what the hel_l is wrong with this place they call THAILAND,(LAND OF SMILES)and why they are allways wanting to find ways to get us the (farangs )out as soon as possible, it has all turned to bullshit for me, ,LAND OF SMILES ,,MY ASS,,it seems to me that if you are not from another asian country ie:korea.japan.china(and any of these nationals can work or stay as long as they want) you really are not welcome here anymore. I only wished i knew why. but as of midnight 2008 i really have given up caring about the thai way of ripping us europians off and have decided on a move to a much friendlier country,the philippines,where the girls are just as sexy/friendly/giving and to top it all, speak english with gusto<< where the visa laws are with you,not against you and where a man can work and live without the fear of getting shut out at the turn of a hat from some wanna be PM ,or government worker trying to make a name for himself in the local party.( i know i sound like i am very upset and bitter and that many of you are saying that if you dont like it mate, then go away, well as i said before, im going, i just am very very sad that thailand has turned its back on the help given by the european thourists in the means of millions of dollars,over the last twenty or so yrs,its almost like,,, now we got your money, go the f--- away.well im out of here, see ya ,,,and good luck on getting japs.koreans and chinese to marry whats left of the girls in what was once the greatest place in the world for adult entertainment,but today is one of the worst.and is openly laughed about in other countries.(sorry ladies) but i think you really need a new strategy, THE ( HELLO SEXY MAN ) way of doing things is over.so from one long termer to someone looking to be filled in, sorry mate, i cant help. but if you do get a answer, please forward it to me.

cheers, have a great time in thailand.

The nationalities that you mention are part of the South East Asian infrastructure, similar to most Farangs being either part of the EEC, Americas and commonwealth communities i.e. Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. But it's not cut and dry, there are still restrictions on Southeast Asians from other countries living in Thailand, the same as for an Australian wanting to reside in Britain, a Brit wanting to reside in the USA and so on. That is why Farangs living long term as residents in Thailand who are not part of the Southeast Asian community, are allowed here mainly by privilege of the host Thai nation and are not given the same status/rights as a Thai citizen or be granted the same freedoms to work, own property and long term stays as citizens of some other Southeast Asian countries.

If a Farang acquires citizenship of one of the Southeast Asian countries, (it is possible, although extremely difficult) he/she will automatically be given the same status as a national of that country and permitted to live in Thailand as per agreements with other Southeast Asian counterparts.

For those who are considering residing in Thailand without being able to fulfill the imposed Immigration criteria, should think again and take heed of the experiences of some here who could find themselves in a destitute situation.

For those who wish to aid poor Thai families and Thai people, I suggest they work for a charity organisation or the Church and make it official. This way they will obtain recognition and support from the Thai government for their work.

Edited by distortedlink

I saw this one coming a long way off... and it's only a matter of time before all Thai consulates and embassies have similar rules.

I'll be waiting for the rest of you to show up.

not ALL Consulates will be like that.... those honorary consulats in my home country will always be the same. they are run by NON-Thai nationals, and therefore, they have no interest to harass and humiliate foreigners, unlike that new monkey in Penang....

I'll be waiting for the rest of you to show up.

Philippines? I might show up there the day the filipinos and the filipinas learn the last 6 commandments. Or rather, the day they add the missing word "NOT" to the last 6 commandments.

Cambodia is rapidly becoming a country so corrupt and lawless that it threatens the very stability of the nation. And the prices there are also rising at an alarming level.

Why not go to Malaysia? It has the fantastic MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) scheme, that will give you a 10 year visa for requirements many of us can meet.

And if not, they give most of us 90 days on entry. No questions asked.

This will be the last I will post on this. If you still think that a person cannot claim the credit on their income from a US company while living in another country, well, it does not really matter to me what you think because I have the IRS on my side.

I can confirm this having lived overseas in various jobs while being paid in US dollars to my US accounts from our US office, including times that I lived in middle eastern countries that assessed no income taxes. Our company tax professionals, several of whom are ex-IRS, were available to help us with our returns, and we all got the exclusion.

However, I believe that the guy working for a US company from Thailand owes Thailand income tax under Thai law.

Edited by KhunG

"Immigration who will be reading all your observations" I,ve met at least 10 "Immigration Officials" and not one could speak or understand English ! Please send a list of the fluent officials.

I knew a colonel in Immigration (now retired) who spoke excellent English. He may well have gone to school in England - many of his in-laws certainly did.

I can confirm this having lived overseas in various jobs while being paid in US dollars to my US accounts from our US office, including times that I lived in middle eastern countries that assessed no income taxes. Our company tax professionals, several of whom are ex-IRS, were available to help us with our returns, and we all got the exclusion.

However, I believe that the guy working for a US company from Thailand owes Thailand income tax under Thai law.

I'm that guy.

I wouldn't argue with you on that: If the Thai version of the IRS ever caught up with me, they would definitely want some money... but the American IRS doesn't require that you pay taxes in the country in which you are living in order to qualify for the Overseas Tax Credit.

I only wish I could make all that money from the internet like you guys seem to...

For the pay as you go traveler LOS is definetly getting harder to enjoy.

Have sampled the Philli's but LOS overall is nicer.

If your getting pinched by this Penang loophole then just fess up... you knew it was coming one day soon.

Never been to Cambodia but it keeps getting a mention????

How does it rate in a comparo LOS,Philli,Cam...????

I do think the girls will suffer the most.

That's right next to myself of course.

It is rather a bizarre way of going about things. I changed jobs recently. I'm a legit worker, pay tax here and what have you, but I had to leave the country when I changed jobs and re-enter on a tourist visa until the paperwork was sorted out. If this new rule is true, what do people do when they are changing jobs? They wouldn't have an ongoing flight ticket as they would becoming back to work. Would they have to have a letter explaining why they were coming back into the country on a tourist visa?

I still can't see why work permits and visas can't be transfered to another employer. I only had seven days to leave the country and I was concerened that I wouldn't be let back into Thailand without an on going ticket. As it happened, they just issued a tourist visa and didn't ask if I was flying on anywhere else.

It does seem like a lot of hassle, but imagine trying to go to the UK or States on a tourist visa and over staying.

Well! just how easy isit to get a long term turist visa in EU for a thai citizen? Or in US? I'm sure of that it can't be done by going in and out of the border. The visa rules in Thailand are indeed very generously compared with EU and US.

What a load of cr@p!

If you're going to comment on immigration rules in other countries please educate yourself before posting such rubbish.

I'm a citizen of Schengen country and married to a Thai citizen, for your information my wife and I married in my home country to where she came on a tourist visa!!

Upon marriage to me and showing a marriage cert. her visa was changed to a one year visa with work permit. Her work permit had no limitations, i.e. she could work with whatever she desired (no requirement of any number of nationals in her workplace or registered capital of her employer,her work permit was pre approved ).

There was no 90 day reporting, no reentry permit and no fees involved in this. She could also travel to any country in Europe if she so desired (Shengen visa).

Upon renewing her visa, witch we forgot about, and did three months late (try that in Thailand), she got permanent residency (witch by Shengen rules have to be renewed every three years) again no fees involved (but this is easier in Thailand?) .

Her permanent residency was renewed after three years(5 min. at the local police station for a new stamp, again no fees) By this time she was qualified for citizenship (pointed out by the local police) so she applied, and three months later she was a citizen. no fees for this either (easier in Thailand?). Both our two kids and my wife are dual citizens, Thai and my country.

After we married there was no requirement for her to show income of any sort to get her one year visa(easier in Thailand?), compare that to Thailand witch require in the neighborhood of four times a normal(not minimum witch is closer to eight times) income of male foreigners wanting to stay with their spouses.

Nope, she could just stay and enjoy here life. My family and I are now living in Thailand, as a family and I have no problem what so ever with getting my one year extensions, but my wife is royally ashamed of how the Thai immigration treats foreigners.

I would think most married men living here have wifes like this. For those of you belittling anyone not on an non immigrant visa, witch is as of now a proper visa.

Get down from your high horses, and start smelling the coffee. I think the writing is on the wall,

first they took away the visa exempt entry, the investment visa,

the non immigrant O extensions with 400K in the bank

and extension of non immi. O for fathers.

Now they take away the tourist visa, Knowing the Thais I know it ain't gonna stop there. It won't stop until and unless re precautions are coming their way. To the old farts I have two words: start packing and sell whatever isn't packable cuz I guess next year the retirement is axed, and then goes the marriage extensions and the non immigrant B extensions. In a year or two (with a redressed TRT at the helm) we're all sitting here asking ourselves what happened?

In the mean time, by all means, convince yourselves that you're safe, and that it's the visa runners they're after I on the other hand would like to leave this country with dignity witch to me means I take the decision, instead of being told to leave, within seven days.

To those that think it's hard to get a visa for Thai's in the EU (don't know about the US) you are totally wrong, and if Thai's can show a level of income that is eight times the minimum vague there, they will get a visa by themselves.

And to the high horses brigade (you know who you are) there's a special on humble pie at Villa this weekend, try it out it might fill you!! :o

good luck to all, I think we need it!

Morty

Not affected yet, but want to leave in dignity, when the time comes.

I live in Malaysia and 3-4 times a year go up to Hatyai or Hua Hin. Play golf have a drink do some shopping.

Only spend my 40,000B average per trip, never have overstayed. Most times about a 2 weeks stay.

Now quite a delay at the gate getting a visa.I have never been asked for a return ticket as I usually use train..bus.

However the last time it took 5 minutes for him to stamp me out.

Anyway, no shit this is true, it will be my last visit to Thailand for a long time for other reasons.

However could I note that in Hatyai and Hua hin in the 2 weeks after the New Year it was quite noticeable the lack of people in the streets.

All the taxis, restaurants and shops looking for customers.

The night markets very very sparsley attended.

I think global economy might be the reason but the odour of we do not want you permeates the air and I tell my friends of this feeling.

The simple reason is that they do not beleive that under 50's are actually retired. They beleive that a substantually number of people in this age group are working in Thailand illegally and do not see a way of distingishing between real early retired and illegal foriegn workers

It's a lot simplier in fact: THEY are stupid, full stop.

Pleaese just read Morty's comment above.

Edited by tartempion

I've circumvented the Thai's by getting an APEC card (Asia Pacific Economic Conference). Took me about 5 months to get as police checks had to be done in all 30, or so, member countries but well worth it as it gives me a 90 day entry stamp on arrival, regardless of how many times I come and go. It's well woth having if your an Australian or kiwi (Austalia and NZ APEC members) as the 90 day entry on arrival applies to all member countries. It's good for three years and is renewable.