Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could never understand those people with the BP on the back and one on the front. How many changes of underware does one need? And why do so many of them not bathe?

Well wearing two packs makes you sweat buckets and on top of that, not washing, who wants to go near any of these cretins>??

"Cretins" a wonderful word somewhat under used these days.My older brother used to always call me a cretin, I wonder if he knew that one day I would become a backpacker and spend several months cheesin' on KSR.

I guess he never guessed.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this thread dead already?

It's more interesting to read than "Rain" by a country-mile... :o

That bloody ' rain ' is something else Boon :D

Awww, common' Doc; 'Rain' is a diamond of a thread. :D

Is this thread dead already?

It's more interesting to read than "Rain" by a country-mile... :o

That bloody ' rain ' is something else Boon :D

Awww, common' Doc; 'Rain' is a diamond of a thread. :D

The "Rain" thread is informative and entertaining.

In comparison, that is.

In comparison to what I wonder :D

I can't believe this thread generated soooo many replies :o:D:D Anyway, here is one more : I voted no, I've never been a backpacker my self, but when I think about all the narrow minded people sitting on their a** back home, watching their little TV, and never getting the curiosity to see what the world is like, well, I think BP at least have the will to see something new :D And they do it. That's already something IMHO. :D

if we combined the rain thread with the backpacker one, maybe they wouldn't smell so bad.

I got forced into taking a backpacking friend of mine around for a few weeks, and when you are out all day walking, bussing, shopping..... I got smelly too. And I wasn't carrying the back pack.

I came accross a throng of backpackers on the BTS today, and they were all obnoxious patronising twits, banging on about how in 'their' contry they would be allowed to eat and drink on the trains, and how standing for the national anthem at 6pm is old fashioned.....hmmm

I really really like seeing the backpackers at Pattaya bus station on their way to Bkk with 'that' puzzled look on their faces!

I get a laugh out of 'em stumbling around JJ Market with that puzzled look too! :o

I came accross a throng of backpackers on the BTS today, and they were all obnoxious patronising twits, banging on about how in 'their' contry they would be allowed to eat and drink on the trains, and how standing for the national anthem at 6pm is old fashioned.....hmmm

Depends where they are from of course. Here's what happens if you are in the US

A woman has been handcuffed and arrested for eating a chocolate bar inside a Metro station in Washington DC.

Stephanie Willett, 45, was detained by a Metro police officer who had spotted her eating while she was on an escalator heading for the station.

Eating and drinking is banned on the Metro system and the officer had warned Willett to finish the bar before entering the station. Willett said she put the last piece in her mouth and threw the wrapper away.

The officer continued to follow her into the station and Willett was searched, handcuffed and arrested for chewing after passing through the fare gates.

She was only released several hours later after paying a $10 fine (about £6), says the Washington Post.

Willett said she was being unfairly punished because she made fun of the police officer after being issued a second warning before the arrest.

"Why don't you go and take care of some real crime?" Willett said she told the officer while still swallowing the bar.

"It was a complete waste of taxpayers' money and the officers' time as well as mine. It was just about her trying to retaliate against me because I made a comment about how insignificant I thought the matter was."

Willett is due in court in October

Depends where they are from of course. Here's what happens if you are in the US

A woman has been handcuffed and arrested for eating a chocolate bar inside a Metro station in Washington DC.

Stephanie Willett, 45, was detained by a Metro police officer who had spotted her eating while she was on an escalator heading for the station.

Eating and drinking is banned on the Metro system and the officer had warned Willett to finish the bar before entering the station. Willett said she put the last piece in her mouth and threw the wrapper away.

The officer continued to follow her into the station and Willett was searched, handcuffed and arrested for chewing after passing through the fare gates.

She was only released several hours later after paying a $10 fine (about £6), says the Washington Post.

Willett said she was being unfairly punished because she made fun of the police officer after being issued a second warning before the arrest.

"Why don't you go and take care of some real crime?" Willett said she told the officer while still swallowing the bar.

"It was a complete waste of taxpayers' money and the officers' time as well as mine. It was just about her trying to retaliate against me because I made a comment about how insignificant I thought the matter was."

Willett is due in court in October

How absolutely <deleted> pathetic is this world becoming? :o

I really really like seeing the backpackers at Pattaya bus station on their way to Bkk with 'that' puzzled look on their faces!

I get a laugh out of 'em stumbling around JJ Market with that puzzled look too! :o

Yeah. Weird, isnt it? Why dont they know all about the Thai bus system and the layout of JJ market like their own pocket before even setting foot there? Beats me.

Bathing is a major nuisance for these folks as their accomodations are lucky to have even a cold shower. How about them BP dreadlocks?

They must love it during Songkran, free showers, get to walk around in cooling wet clothes, scared of opening there bags in public because when they got there sandals and waterproof cameras out some cheerful fellow dumped a bucket of water in their bags. Then they lug there extra heavy bags around untill they find a nice place to dry its contents. After a few hours a truck comes by honking its horn and low and behold there clothes get wet again. So they pack there wet clothes and go searching for a laundromat, after spending the money to dry everything they can't afford there one beer for the night and retire to a crappy bed with rashes and blisters from walking around in wet clothes.

Why do you guys let yourself be victims to whatever annoyancies they have. Tie there packs to the railing in the train, give them faulty directions, serve them warm beer, tell them the ice isn't safe, tell them that thai mosquitos actually like the repellant, tell them you saw some lice in their dreads, tell them their's a really cheap hostel with a jacuzzi 2 kilos down that country road. You guys can play games too, just don't sell them bad hash they won't take that so light-heartedly...

• 1 month later...
They must love it during Songkran, free showers, get to walk around in cooling wet clothes, scared of opening there bags in public because when they got there sandals and waterproof cameras out some cheerful fellow dumped a bucket of water in their bags.  Then they lug there extra heavy bags around untill they find a nice place to dry its contents.  After a few hours a truck comes by honking its horn and low and behold there clothes get wet again.  So they pack there wet clothes and go searching for a laundromat, after spending the money to dry everything they can't afford there one beer for the night and retire to a crappy bed with rashes and blisters from walking around in wet clothes.

Brilliant and true..

Yes, but was he walking there bare-feet? :D  I think that's pretty much the ultimate, dudes walking around Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc without shoes. 

Cheers,

Chanchao

Err u mean the monk dudes? i agree i love seeing thoes wonderful orange robed and bare feet wandering around the streets of all towns in Thailand not just bangkok, Chang mai etc. It is ultimate. :o

I overheard a group of backpackers discussing the toilets at their guest house, and they were sure that the squirty water hose if for hosing down the seat before sitting on it.

I also saw a pair of backpackers negotiating a small spiral staircase wearing their huge packs.

I overheard a group of backpackers discussing the toilets at their guest house, and they were sure that the squirty water hose if for hosing down the seat before sitting on it.

That's what I use it for too. Public toilets are always covered in urine.

Edited by DP25

I don't use public toilets for that purpose, I prefer my own giold plated one at home.

well if it is gold plated all the more reason to use the hosy thing to wash your drips and shakes off of it.. DJ piss is well known for eating away at a soft substance such as gold, u could end up with a pock ridden bog seat! :o

One off-putting thing about having mates who come over as backpackers is that they won't leave the confines of Khao Sarn Road, it's like they are terrified of seeing something that's not noted in the Lonely Planet

I know what you mean Pat. I have had freiends and relatives like that, but they usually are happy once I show them something not in the LP.

But, come on, you are not saying that the average expat is more adventurous than the average backpacker, are you?