North Korea

corkscrew

Is it still illegal (by American law) for Americans to visit this terrorist-sponsoring, foreign citizen-abducting state (defined by US gov't.)?

If so, how do we circumvent the regulations? Also, without USA diplomatic or consular services in this country, what recourse does an American citizen have if they run into trouble?

Edited by toptuan

Is it still illegal (by American law) for Americans to visit this terrorist-sponsoring, foreign citizen-abducting state (defined by US gov't.)?

If so, how do we circumvent the regulations? Also, without USA diplomatic or consular services in this country, what recourse does an American citizen have if they run into trouble?

Dare I say None.

RPSGT

More to the point, who really gives a sh!t? :o

Yes, I'm sure North Korea is lovely at this time of year...great hotels, wonderful nightclubs and restaurants...friendly people and helpful soldiers. Hehehehehehe. You have got to be kidding me. After your delightful vacation in N. Korea, why don't you try Chad or Somalia next?

It's not really the USA side of things.

It's North Korea: they don't want Americans to visit. Technically, you might get a visa with a 24/7 guide, and pay thousand of US dollars for it.

But even this, is nearly impossible.

Koreans that pay lots of money can visit Kimgang Mt.

It will be a few years, I think, before you'll be able to go there.

As the previous poster said 'the problem is on the North Korea side and not on the US. As an American, I think you may find it difficult to get a visa on your own however there are one or two agencies that run N. Korea tours that can probably get you one. FYI, here is some recent info from the US State Dept. regarding traveling to N. Korea:

October 15, 2007

U.S. citizens planning to visit North Korea are encouraged to register prior to departing the United States with the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, if entering North Korea from China, or with the Swedish Embassy in Pyongyang (U.S. Protective Power), contact details below.

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea or the DPRK) is a highly militaristic Communist state located on the Korean Peninsula between northeast China and the Republic of Korea (South Korea or ROK), with land borders with China, Russia and South Korea. The DPRK is one of the world’s most isolated countries. The continuing dispute over North Korea’s development of nuclear programs and nuclear weapons has resulted in tensions in the region and between the United States and the DPRK. North Korea limits trade and transportation links with other countries and tightly restricts the circumstances under which foreigners may enter the country and interact with local citizens. Telephone and fax communications are unavailable in many areas of the country and foreigners can expect their communications to be monitored by DPRK officials. In the past few years, North Korea has experienced famine, flooding, fuel and electricity shortages, and outbreaks of disease. Many countries, including the United States, have contributed to international relief efforts to assist the people of North Korea.

Foreign tourists are a means for North Korea to earn much needed foreign currency, but an underdeveloped service sector, inadequate infrastructure, and political tensions with surrounding countries have stymied any significant tourist flow. North Korean efforts to expand tourism have focused primarily on group tours from China, as well as from South Korea primarily to the Mount Kumgang tourist area.

The United States does not maintain diplomatic or consular relations with the DPRK. The Swedish Embassy located in Pyongyang acts as the United States’ interim consular protective power and provides basic consular services to U.S. citizens traveling in North Korea. Please refer to Special Circumstances for additional information.

Normally I am the type of traveler who goes somewhere with the attitude of wanting to learning the other guy's point of view, expand my mind, be open to new ways of thinking about stuff, etc, etc.

However I went to North Korea more to confirm my suspicion that it really is a Stalinist, paranoid, whacked-out -- but fascinating -- experience. I was 100% right on all accounts.

I see a lot of gum-flapping on this thread. How many of you "armchair travelers" will have the courage to actually go to the DPRK, thereby earning the credibility to make some of the comments I'm seeing in this thread?

A pic I took, of the Tower of the Juche Ideal. A monument to self-sufficiency -- we see how well that's worked out for them, eh?

post-11350-1202092469_thumb.jpg

Edited by TypicalAnonym

omg! terrifying aint it. I'm scared. great thread corkscrew, count me in

It's not really the USA side of things.

It's North Korea: they don't want Americans to visit. Technically, you might get a visa with a 24/7 guide, and pay thousand of US dollars for it.

But even this, is nearly impossible.

Koreans that pay lots of money can visit Kimgang Mt.

It will be a few years, I think, before you'll be able to go there.

Both times that we vivited North Korea we had guides 24/7. The first time it was just my girl friend and myself. The second time it was with a group....the photos in the link were taken by my daughter on the second trip.

It was a fascinating trip...really a hermit kingdom. On our first trip our guide did not know that the US put men on the moon. The radios are pretuned to only receive N. Korea stations.

On both trips we flew in from Beijing.