Reliable Braodband?

Setanta159

I currently have a wifi connection in my Condo in Jomtien which is supposedly Hi-speed etc. Of course it's nothing of the sort and frequently disconnects. Does anyone have information where I can get or contact someone to obtain a hi-speed, secure and reliable broadband connection which I need for my work. I often have to leave my pc running overnight with programs running on the net. My condo does have a phone line which in these days of mobiles I have never used so presumably a secure connection would have to be be done in conjunction with using that. Any info re price etc greatly appreciated.

I currently have a wifi connection in my Condo in Jomtien which is supposedly Hi-speed etc. Of course it's nothing of the sort and frequently disconnects. Does anyone have information where I can get or contact someone to obtain a hi-speed, secure and reliable broadband connection which I need for my work. I often have to leave my pc running overnight with programs running on the net. My condo does have a phone line which in these days of mobiles I have never used so presumably a secure connection would have to be be done in conjunction with using that. Any info re price etc greatly appreciated.

You may want to have the phone company come out and test the wiring between the main box in the building and your unit. Especially if the condo you live in is more than five or six years old.

As for recommendations, I've used CAT Telecom for two years now. Although they are quite a bit more than TOT and others, they have been much more reliable, in my experience.

CAT offices are located just up Pattaya Tai from the 3rd road intersection (left hand side as you head towards Sukhumvit)

It all depends on what you are prepared to pay. Like many things in this fine country, there is something of a difference between the promises of the sales folk and the reality of the delivery.

If you want 1mB download speeds pay for 2mB or higher and hope you will get 1mB. Leased lines are also available, just add money.

If constant access if mission critical, then get several connections from different companies and network them.

As you may have guessed, I am a little cynical about the quality of the infrastructure. There seems to be a huge disparity between the what marketing department offers and technical department can deliver, and neither have any input to the purchasing or management decisions. This is what happens when you have patronage based selection rather than merit based selection for many jobs, getting worse the higher the position.