Canadian Brutally Murdered In Ranong

Mosha

This goes to show. Even though, Thailand is a nice country to live in. The people and weather are beautiful and it is an inexpensive country to live. A lot of these Thai girls don't really love foreigners they just want the money. They will use any way to their advantage to do so. Just like this case. if you want to be with a Thai Girl do not show off your wealth to them. Please just be modest. Otherwise use them as a service if you know what I mean.(pretend you are a tourist even though you live there.)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello to all,

I am new on this forum and "stumbled accidentally" on it through a post made on a French/Thai forum (FT). I was shocked by what I read, by Dale's terrible fate, of course, but also by the possibility that his killers might escape justice.

To Dale's family, all my condoleances. Losing a loved one is already heartbreaking, losing a loved one in such terrible circumstances is even harder.

I work for the Dutch television (before I get your hopes up, I'm sorry to say that as an "End Director Engineer" there is nothing I can do for you except give you some good advice, TV wise), you must keep contacting all media possible, it does make a difference (for once, media can be used for a good reason), don't let the "story" fall, thaigene2's "next steps" are the best, this is really how you should proceed !

However, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this is something that happens frequently between Thais, so much so that it is not even mentionned anymore in the newspapers. Does this explain or excuse what happened to Dale, certainly NOT, ............ but bringing his "killers" to justice might make the "hitmen" (and those who hire them) think twice .............. and hopefully, Thais would benefit from this too !

I made a "resume" of Dale's life and death from everything I have read on ThaiVisa, translated it in French and posted it on the FT Forum, it's not much but the main thing at this point is talking about it, in all languages, so that it may not be forgotten.

Please keep in mind that pursuing your brother's murderer might "take the life out of you", it could also give a meaning (where none can be found) to his death should you fight this battle for all.

:o Genevieve

PS : link to FT forum : http:// franco-thai.com/forumphp/ftopic10531.php

Feb 10, 2008 10:21 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA–An official with the Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that a Canadian was killed in Thailand earlier this month.

Marie-Christine Lilkoff says Thai police contacted the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok to inform them a Canadian citizen was killed in country's south.

The person died on Feb. 3.

She says consulate officials are helping the victim's family.

She could not release any other details such as the person's identity due to privacy laws.

In December, Canadian Leo John Del Pinto died after being shot in the face and chest in the northern Thai town of Pai

--------------

From the Toronto Star

Feb 11, 2008 04:30 AM

Philip Mascoll

Staff Reporter

A 48-year-old Canadian has been slain in Thailand in what relatives and friends say is a bizarre murder-for-profit plot involving his Thai wife, her alleged lover, an apparent hired gun and a $1 million (U.S.) life insurance policy.

But, according to a Thai newspaper, Dale Henry's wife Maneerat, known as Nee, told police she arranged his death because of constant physical abuse.

Henry, an employee of a drilling company in Nigeria who lived in Thailand, is a native of Victoria, B.C. He was shot dead at his Thai home last week, according to his brother.

Richard Henry flew from Victoria yesterday to Thailand to claim the body.

He told a Victoria newspaper he understood the murder motive was a $1 million life-insurance policy his brother's employer had taken out in his name.

According to the brother, three people have been charged – Nee, a suspected contract killer and Nee's suspected lover.

Police in Victoria could furnish no details.

"What we know is what we have read in the newspapers," Staff Sgt. Bill Trudeau said.

A Feb. 5 story and picture from the Thai Rath newspaper website shows two men and a woman surrounded by police. The story, translated by the blog Thai Visa Forum, says Ranong's provincial police presented Dale Henry's widow, Amornsak Ketkaew and Jinda sae Tae to the public to make a press statement "after they carried out the killing of Dale George Henri (sic), a Canadian."

She "claimed she organized the killing out of frustration at being hit by her ... husband thus suffering a loss of dignity," it says.

Dale Henry is the second Canadian shot dead in Thailand this year. Calgary native Leo Del Pinto, 25, was shot and killed Jan. 6 by off-duty Thai police Sgt.-Major Uthai Dechawiwat. The officer wounded Del Pinto's friend Carly Reisig in the same incident in Pai, Thailand

This is very similar to a case in the Philippines around 2000, written about by Margaret Davies in a book 'For the love of my son'.

Similar story: marries bargirl, works away from home (although still in Philippines) but financially generous; wife takes local boyfriend as lover for company, hatches plan with him to kill husband; wife present at killing.

Big difference from Thailand: the English mother had to spend thousands of pounds to grease the wheels of justice and bring killers and wifey to book, at considerable personal risk. Otherwise the useless and corrupt Philippine police force would have done nothing. So kudos to the Thai authorities for hauling the a**wipes in.

Flaunting one's wealth and also being absent 75% of the time is a dangerous combination because the local slimebag men will elbow their way in on the rich, lonely lady. Far better, safer and cheaper to buy short-time love or pay a strictly-defined allowance in a relationship you can just walk away from, especially when dealing with uneducated, amoral peasants like this one.

This sort of crime, despite the disparities of culture and religion, is not uncommon in Thailand and the Philippines. In Malaysia and Singapore, where the mere possession of a gun is a capital offence, one is on much safer ground. Indonesia is safe by comparison; even the police don't carry guns. Choose your playground or retirement domicile very carefully!

Condolences to Dale's Canadian family. Read the book I mentioned above; it will help.

Edited by Trevor

Dale was a very easy guy to deal with as a customer, after reading the comments of his family and friends it is clear he was quite selfless in both his career and how he carried himself as a person.

There is something very wrong with this world and in particular this country when someone like Dale is taken away from his family in the callous manner that is now being reported, those involved are purely evil. I really do hope that karma steps up to the plate and deals with these people accordingly.

Hi All, I've just woken up in my hotel room in Hong Kong and am now preparing to travel onward to Bangkok. I don't have a chance to read all posts but it is GREAT the news is finally out !!! Thanks to everyone !!! Take Care and I will get online again once I get to BKK.

Edited by richardshane

Thanks for All your help....it is appreciated.....I am in Hong kong right now and I will be onward to BKK shortly. Thanks, Richard

Hello to all,

I am new on this forum and "stumbled accidentally" on it through a post made on a French/Thai forum (FT). I was shocked by what I read, by Dale's terrible fate, of course, but also by the possibility that his killers might escape justice.

To Dale's family, all my condoleances. Losing a loved one is already heartbreaking, losing a loved one in such terrible circumstances is even harder.

I work for the Dutch television (before I get your hopes up, I'm sorry to say that as an "End Director Engineer" there is nothing I can do for you except give you some good advice, TV wise), you must keep contacting all media possible, it does make a difference (for once, media can be used for a good reason), don't let the "story" fall, thaigene2's "next steps" are the best, this is really how you should proceed !

However, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this is something that happens frequently between Thais, so much so that it is not even mentionned anymore in the newspapers. Does this explain or excuse what happened to Dale, certainly NOT, ............ but bringing his "killers" to justice might make the "hitmen" (and those who hire them) think twice .............. and hopefully, Thais would benefit from this too !

I made a "resume" of Dale's life and death from everything I have read on ThaiVisa, translated it in French and posted it on the FT Forum, it's not much but the main thing at this point is talking about it, in all languages, so that it may not be forgotten.

Please keep in mind that pursuing your brother's murderer might "take the life out of you", it could also give a meaning (where none can be found) to his death should you fight this battle for all.

PS : link to FT forum : http: //franco-thai.com/forumphp/ftopic10531.php

Hello to all,

PS : link to FT forum http: //franco-thai.com/forumphp/ftopic10531.php

I am new to this forum but not new to Thailand, firstly my condolences to Dale's family, secondly in regard to the reasons why this never got to the English press

No haven't heard this story, however it could very well be true for as most farangs who have been in the land of smiles for awhile know a hitman is fairly cheap here and this sort of thing is common place in the land of smiles.

Hello all . . . please forgive me if this post appears wonky as I am new to posting on this forum.

I am a journalist at the Calgary Herald, where Dale Henry spent much of his life before moving to Thailand, and I would like to hear from any of his friends over there. I would like to add further tributes to what we're writing about him plus get as much legitimate information as we can about what happened.

Please reply to Suzanne Wilton at: [email protected]

This is very similar to a case in the Philippines around 2000, written about by Margaret Davies in a book 'For the love of my son'.

Similar story: marries bargirl, works away from home (although still in Philippines) but financially generous; wife takes local boyfriend as lover for company, hatches plan with him to kill husband; wife present at killing.

This sort of crime, despite the disparities of culture and religion, is not uncommon in Thailand and the Philippines. In Malaysia and Singapore, where the mere possession of a gun is a capital offence, one is on much safer ground. Indonesia is safe by comparison; even the police don't carry guns. Choose your playground or retirement domicile very carefully!

Condolences to Dale's Canadian family. Read the book I mentioned above; it will help.

(abbrev)

Good post, may I add, never buy property in the 1st 5 years of marriage, renting is so cheap in Thailand it's crazy not to.

Recent Cdn press...

Adding insult to injury???

In another development, Henry's sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, said she has gone from sad to angry after hearing that her deceased brother's home was allegedly looted by Maneerat's family.

In an interview with the Canadian Press on Monday, the 46-year-old Calgary resident said she has been told relatives of his wife are looting her brother's Thailand home, and have already taken his cars and motorcycle.

"Her family has been in there," Matheson told CP in an interview. "I phoned his house and his wife's sister answered. They're looting everything he had. His vehicles are gone. There's some man riding around town on his Harley."

Matheson said she was heartbroken to hear of Maneerat's arrest after knowing her brother believed he had found true love. "He just loved this woman with all his heart and trusted her," said Matheson. "His bank account was open to her and he was building a house for her parents and bought four acres of land by some hot springs and all that kind of stuff.

"I'm really hurt that people would do that to him after he had given everything he had and you know he gave her everything.''

"Her family has been in there," Matheson told CP in an interview. "I phoned his house and his wife's sister answered. They're looting everything he had. His vehicles are gone. There's some man riding around town on his Harley."

disgusting and callous behaviour if true , but not surprising behaviour.

if his vehicles are registered in his name , report them as stolen to the police , and keep reporting these events to the international press. i believe that the more that these events are publicised abroad , the more the thai authorities will do to improve things.

the press here are not slow to report the wrongdoings of foriegners here , a taste of their own medicine will do no harm.

the worldwide wave of revulsion that resulted when it was reported that thais had looted the belongings of the dead passengers on the lauda air plane that crashed in kanchanaburi years ago was hard for the thais to take.

the family that are coming over will need help with translation and protocol when dealing with the authorities here.

lets hope the canadian embassy will help them with that.

This is so bad, incredible. They all should go to jail or something worse. How can these people still look at themselves. Such people have no moral, no brain and no dignity.

And please super moderators let Richard allow to post an email, rules are great but sticking to them no matter what is not.

Edited by freitag1

disgusting and callous behaviour if true , but not surprising behaviour.

if his vehicles are registered in his name , report them as stolen to the police , and keep reporting these events to the international press. i believe that the more that these events are publicised abroad , the more the thai authorities will do to improve things.

the press here are not slow to report the wrongdoings of foriegners here , a taste of their own medicine will do no harm.

the worldwide wave of revulsion that resulted when it was reported that thais had looted the belongings of the dead passengers on the lauda air plane that crashed in kanchanaburi years ago was hard for the thais to take.

the family that are coming over will need help with translation and protocol when dealing with the authorities here.

lets hope the canadian embassy will help them with that.

taxexile,

This has probably been covered previously, but what real assistane is the Canadian embassy providing I wonder. Probably not a lot. I'm sure it's wimped-out not wanting the upset the locals.

You can guarantee if it were the other way round and this (and others) happened in Canada, Thai officials would be demanding reults with retaliatory threats and public demonstrations and the Thai press would have a field day with this whipping up public sentiment and nationalism. The gates of the Canadian embassy in BKK would be torn down in protest. The Canadian government would be falling all over itself to "fix the problem".

How many more Canadians need to be slaughtered in Thailand before the Canadian goverment says enough is enough and demands immediate justice for all victims and their families.

I'm sure they would say "we are doing all we can". That's just a cop out.

Come on Canadian government have some balls. Provide real, meaningful and tangible help to your citizens. Send a message to the Thai government and it's people that these and any future events will not be tollerated and there will be diplomatic, trade and travel consequences. "Hands off Canadian nationals".

Feb 10, 2008 10:21 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA–An official with the Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that a Canadian was killed in Thailand earlier this month.

Marie-Christine Lilkoff says Thai police contacted the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok to inform them a Canadian citizen was killed in country's south.

The person died on Feb. 3.

She says consulate officials are helping the victim's family.

She could not release any other details such as the person's identity due to privacy laws.

In December, Canadian Leo John Del Pinto died after being shot in the face and chest in the northern Thai town of Pai

What's with this?

Is it the Canadian Press or Department of Foreign Affairs that's afraid of using the word murdered. For all we know, this bit of information leaves anyone unaware of this case thinking that the poor man may have died in a traffic accident or while swimming. :o Is their intent to protect and inform Canadian citizens or the tourism industry?

Also, it's done a second time at the bottom of the article, what's wrong with saying that Leo J Del Pinto was shot... BY A POLICEMAN?

Edited by Tony Clifton

And please super moderators let Richard allow to post an email, rules are great but sticking to them no matter what is not.

If you mean his email address, it is for his own protection. There are little programs out there that trawl through websites looking for email addresses that they can then send unwanted mail to.

I'm sure the mods in this instance would allow him to type it in a format that could be read by real people i.e. thaddeus at thaivisa dot com

I am very sorry 'Andiamo' in the post above. I wanted to reply to your post but somehow became imbedded in it. I wanted to add my comment about what you said and it is below

Sadly, things are being suppressed and Thai Visa is not helping. I put some email address links on my previous post (page 3 I think) urging everybody to contact The Bangkok Post.

However, Thai Visa has removed those links. That is as bad as the Canadian Embassy not helping. I can't see any legal ramifications to Thai Visa and can only think they don't want to 'rock the boat'.

Quite

Not wanting to 'rock the boat' is tantamount to being complicit in a cover-up. Thankfully some other poster above has included links to Bankok Post, whom I'm about to e-mail and ask WHY this has not been reported. The more of us do this - the better. This cannot be ignored for ever, the culprits must be brought to justice.

Thank-you to all the people who posted regarding our loss....Dale was my brother whom I shall miss forever...Dale mistakenly trusted Nee and he was not capable of commiting any act of violence toward her...he loved her....Last June he paid for Nee and two nephews as well as someone else whom I don't know to go on a vacation to Hong Kong he paid for flights, hotels and spending money for all....I thought he was nuts spending so much money for everyone to go but that was Dale...Generous to a fault...He never minded taking care of her whole family as he took great pleasure in providing pleasures which otherwise would be impossible for them to attain. Nee drove a brand new car and had full access to all his money....there was no monthly allowance she could spend whatever she liked. There was no reason to hire a hitman other than collecting a life insurance policy which was provided by his employer. It is impossible to to imagine how someone could do what she did and I am having a very difficult time coming to terms with this. Hopefully Nee and her partners in crime get punished to the full extent of Thai law whatever that may be.

Rest in Peace Bro.....

This is all like a horrible dream...no he is not the son of a grieving Mother or Father. They both passed too early.The stories behind that are also sad. Dale did not believe wholeheartedly in christianity. In that,he was comfortable with buddhism. That was one thing that really attracted thailandThe philosophy behind buddhism was what he believed. He rescued animals. Animals that would be throw-aways for most.Treated them to the extent of his power. "To do good" (kusala kamma)" This was his principle.

Thankyou for removing dis-respectful posts...please do keep us posted on any news updates. Thankyou airbrush fella for your kind words, intuition just rang out and I had to write you. It is so bittersweet for us (my younger brother Richard) to say the final goodbye in traditional thai way but this is what Dale would have wanted. Although not Thai but living as one should. I am currently trying to get to Thailand to attend service with my only other surviving member family and at the same time arranging security due to the circumstances. It should not be this hard or threatening to attend a funeral.

Thats my VERY foggy comment.

To Dale: You did not deserve the fate you suffered. Your trust ran so deep which provided you with "ROSE COLORED GLASSES" so so sorry. Your giving was endless and selfless. Peace to you...till we meet again.

All My Love...Your Sister...dam_n it another good-bye!

BTW

How do you

feel or be safe when at the same time need to grieve attend a funeral and do it traditionally Thai,because you know what he believed. ???

I am very sorry for your loss, I too am a Canadian Livng here in Thailand.

It seems like things are getting worse every year. I have emailed CBC Canada about this story as well as the Winnipeg Free Press (since that i where I am from). I also have emailed several Radio DJs in Canada I know (People I studied broadcasting with), hopefuly they can report something on this.

I know it is not much, but I hope that if the media takes an interest then this will not get swept under the rug like everything else does around here.

I wish your family the best and take care,

George

Within 4 short years, I have decided to turn my back on this country and this is but another very sad event that reminds me why. I have lived and will keep seeing, reading , hearing about too much f*#@4 up sh!t going on here, it's not about to change and I refuse to let my newborn son grow up around this total mess that Thailand is. Yes, my Thai wife feels the same. Add to that my constant fear of killing or getting killed on the roads. In 4 years I've almost killed over a dozen times when it had never happened in 25 years before that. It's due to happen. Apart from living here, Thaivisa and the internet are where you learn these things, not through your government, embassy or local travel agent, and actually, we don't know 90% of what happens since a lot is never reported or covered up by the police. When a forensic team goes digging randomly for ONE body and comes back with 8 different DNA samples from 8 different cadavers found by luck, it says a lot about what goes on here, a lot of unheard of crime.

The longer I stay, the more I see, the more I can't accept to live where all this happens, I just don't want to be here any longer. I just can't. To some it may be paradise, to me, it's back to to work, winters and taxes. These last few months are dragging on forever...

Traveled all over the world and settled here to realize that paradise is where I was born and grew up. :o

Sincere condolences to Dale Henry's family and friends. :D

You've summed it up for me Tony

I'm in the same position as you. This forum, the newspapers and what I've seen and heard has changed my whole view on this rotten country. A shame as there are some good people here and it has such potential. But the continuance of barbaric crime, including that committed by the police and judicial system, makes it difficult to stay.

My Thai wife will go anywhere with me so no problem. I've heard Argentina is okay, Portugal too, but Asia out of the question now.

I too have been bothering the Bangkok post.....so far nothing.

I join you in your condolences to Dale Henry's family.

If you mean his email address, it is for his own protection. There are little programs out there that trawl through websites looking for email addresses that they can then send unwanted mail to.

I'm sure the mods in this instance would allow him to type it in a format that could be read by real people i.e. thaddeus at thaivisa dot com

Precisely, thank you for making that clear Thaddeus.

Here is the report from the Nation:

Thai wife arrested after Canadian shot dead

Three people are in custody following the slaying of a Canadian man, who was shot dead in his home in Ranong early last week.

Oil worker Dale Henry, 48, was shot dead at close range. His Thai wife Maneerat, or Nee, her Thai lover and a gunman - allegedly the uncle of her boyfriend - have been charged over the murder. All three are thought to be from Ranong.

Thai authorities say that Maneerat organised the killing, allegedly giving him a glass of scotch whisky, waiting for him to fall asleep, then sending a text message to her lover, who allegedly entered the house with a hired gunman through a door she had left unlocked.

Local police have reportedly found incriminating text messages. One allegedly said "Do it tonight, uncle", while a later one allegedly advised him to "behave normally at the cremation".

Henry's death has made headlines in Western Canada - he is the second Canadian shot and killed in Thailand this year, following the fatal shooting of Leo del Pinto by a policeman in Pai on January 6.

Members of Henry's family are understood to be en route to Thailand for the funeral, being held in Ranong this week.

Henry's 27yearold wife is thought to have been motivated by greed. National newspaper The Globe and Mail quoted Henry's younger brother Richard as saying he suspected his brother was killed for an insurance policy worth 1 million Canadian dollars (Bt32 million).

Speaking from Vancouver Airport as he prepared to board a flight to Bangkok, he was quoted as saying: "It just makes me sick. He was just such a trusting guy and he was way too generous."

Henry grew up in Victoria and worked as a paramedic in Alberta. In recent years he had been working in West Africa - Nigeria - as the regional head of safety for Noble Drilling. His family said he would spend a month in Ranong with his wife, then two months in Nigeria.

The Globe and Mail said the couple had met when Maneerat was working behind a bar on Koh Samui. "Despite an age difference of more than 20 years, Henry thought he had found true love.

"Once they were married he gave her everything, his brother said. They lived like royalty on his $10,000 a month salary. He bought a home for her parents and bought her an SUV. And while some Western men gave their wives an allowance, Henry gave Maneerat, or Nee as he called her, access to all his bank accounts, his brother said.

"He bought her everything, he said. 'That's why it's so unbelievable,' he was quoted saying.

"But when Richard last visited Thailand in July 2007, the three of them had discussed the $1million life insurance policy provided by his company. Should Henry be killed, Nee was to give his brother 10 per cent of the settlement.

"On a trip with his wife's family to northern Thailand at the end of last summer, Henry fell and broke his leg in eight places. Henry had been off work ever since."

Source: The Nation multimedia.com

just FYI I am in Canada and this story was on the national news channel today. And also was running on the text at the bottom. So hopefully it will continue to be followed and will put pressure on the Cdn govt and from there the Thai govt.

My condolences to the family, Dale sounds like a guy I would like to have met on my travels.

(abbrev)

Good post, may I add, never buy property in the 1st 5 years of marriage, renting is so cheap in Thailand it's crazy not to.

Thanks Gungadin. Wishing no disrespect to the grieving family, this case should serve as a salient reminder to lovestruck Western males that pretty much any financial investment they would consider rightly theirs (or at least shared) at home, just has to be written-off in Thailand, and indeed, much of the Third World. We give them the right to buy property in our countries, but their governments do not reciprocate.

I recently spent 6 months out of a calendar year (in 4 visits) with a 20-year-old Thai lady (32 years junior), spending at least US$500 per month (x12) on her and her mum. She was very cute, sweet, poor but not a bargirl, and we had a good time. No-one in her life had ever been so generous. But my support was never enough. By the end of the year she came to the realisation that I had limited means -- and just disappeared without a word. No letters, SIM card changed, moved address ... even though she knew I was in the country for another long visit. This is the reality there, and my advice is to accept it, enjoy what you can, but realise we will always be 'aliens' to be exploited without rights in their country. A great place to skim lightly over, but a risky one to invest one's primary resources and energies.

Well done to the Thai police for their achievement in arresting the culprits so transparently and promptly. Hopefully it will make other scheming Thai wives think twice about trying their luck in a similar direction.