I Never Been In Isaan - Where Should I Stay ?

balo

Hi

Im planning a trip in June/July , and I think I should try something different than the typical tourist areas this year. I stay in Bkk/Pattaya a few days before going up to the north.

So I dont know anything about the North-East , what to do , what to see there.

Is it safe to travel in the different districts, are the local people nice?

Is it ok to travel by train?

Thanks.

Hi

Im planning a trip in June/July , and I think I should try something different than the typical tourist areas this year. I stay in Bkk/Pattaya a few days before going up to the north.

Thanks.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you like village or town? Western or local food?

Surin, Buriram,Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Kai and other towns all have a few western bars and restaraunts, if thats what you want. Personally I went to Nong Kai for a few days and thought it was very nice. Not too big. Try and get out around the villages.

The people are the most friendly in Thailand. It is very safe. The train is great. Get the overnight sleeper from Bangkok . cheap and comfortable.

Be prepared for something different. Pattaya it is not.

Edited by Lite Beer

Lite Beer is right ,,, be prepared for something different ,, my first 2 trips to Thailand(a few years ago now)were to Pattaya ,,, in retrospect 1 trip to many,, it tought me very little about Thai people(except the sleazy side),,, the overnight train to Udon was a good trip but got to see nothing of the country side(for obvious reasons), try a day one if the have it ,, as Lite beer said ,, try to get amongst the villages ,,, if money is no problem hire a car and maybe a driver(about 2000baht a day ,not sure on that ) ,,, finding somewhere to stay is never a hassle ,, there is always a "resort" close at hand ,, and the people you will meet are extremely friendly(even some of the farang :o ) ,,,, come on up ,, l am sure you will not regret it,,

cheers

egg

Thanks for the advice ! :o

I think I will visit Udon Thani first and then see what happens after that.

If its not too quite for me I'll probably stay in the area for a week or two.

And yes, Im looking for the real, genuine Thailand, not another beer bar....

I just hope people are friendly and honest up there. I've had my share of bad experiences in Pattaya....

Thanks for the advice ! :D

I just hope people are friendly and honest up there. I've had my share of bad experiences in Pattaya....

That is a suprise . :o

You will find it a lot more friendly up here.

Have a look at the Udon forum.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/inde...8de0ccc7b087048

Edited by Lite Beer

Hi

Thanks.

Hi,

Just thought I would add my 2 p'th.

I'm not new to Issaan, been going up that way for some years now. My wife's family live near Mukdahan.

I love to see them and enjoy being around the family and neighbours but I don't stay at the family home because I like to get a good nights sleep with the a/c on and be able to use a European bathroom. I have stayed with the family and showered and shaved in the back yard but am getting a little too old for that now. I also like my egg and bacon for breakfast!

Anyway, to come to the point, I have regularly stayed at a hotel in town until last time when I stayed at a resort in a village.

The owner was very friendly ( English/Australian ) and we chatted a lot over breakfast and dinner. It seems that when required, he takes his guests around the local areas both in his car and rambling on foot. He even does 2 day trips when necessary. I thought this would be an idyll way for a tourist to get to know Issaan.

If you are interested I can send you the web address for this resort, please PM me.

I have no connection with this place other than the fact I stayed there and enjoyed it.