A Question Of Rules

femi fan

This topic seems missing from the forums.

First off, i'd like to know if a hole in one can be called an eagle?

Similarly if somebody somehow does a hole in one on a par 4, is this an albatross?

And if one sinks the ball on the second shot on a par 4, is this an eagle?

I know this is just a terminology issue, but it's one that won't go away in our golfing group!

Meanwhile, maybe this can be a place for getting to know those tricky situations where one does not know what the exact rule is.

A Hole in one is a hole in one! But yes it is also a technically an Eagle (two under Par) if on a par 3

A Hole in one on a par 4 is a Hole in one, But yes, could also be considered an Albatross (3 under par)

If you hole your second shot on a par 4, this is an eagle

If you hole your second shot on a par 5, this is an albatross

Thanks for that mate.

It might have sounded like a bunch of ridiculous questions, but my mates refuse to accept what i said, which you have just mirrored. They say if it's a hole in one, it cannot be called an eagle.

I happened to pick up a book of the rules of golf on a recent trip to australia, and i just could not find anything to do with birdies and eagles and so on. Unreal.

of course you won't find it in the rules book because it is terminology (unofficial) and nothing to do with any rules.

aside:

official rules book is distributed to all australian clubs for all members every year,

this is a great idea and should be copied worldwide,

great bedside reading,

a few million dropped arouind thai golf courses would be nice..

Well I'll answer my own question then.

I was told that a Golden Eagle is and Eagle made when you play your shot out of a bunker and hole it to score an Eagle. So I guess you could have a Golden Birdie too??

Any confirmations on this or is someone just making rules up????

Edited by PattayaParent

I was told that a Golden Eagle is and Eagle made when you play your shot out of a bunker and hole it to score an Eagle. So I guess you could have a Golden Birdie too??

They are not rules; the above shot is officially called a 'fluke'

Just like a hole in one you mean? Or any birdie / eagle played from off the green?

Just like a hole in one you mean? Or any birdie / eagle played from off the green?

I don't hit it far enough for it to be anything else but from off the green, I've had two under par on a par three, a par four, and a par five, now all from over 150 yards so they must have been flukes.