Davids

Norman d'Plume

How many Davids ARE there in Chiangmai?

As well as the on-going debate about how many farang live here, there's another more whimsical one about the incredible number of people named David in our midst.

Many years ago, one Saturday lunch time, a pretty young lady paused outside the open door of a bar near Thapae Gate and called out 'David!"

"Yes?" came the chorus of replies, as no fewer than 7 heads swivelled in her direction.

Now, The Olde Bell in Loi Kroh Road is aiming to break that record, and what better day to do it than St.Davids Day, March the 1st? Welshman Pedr Fawkes runs The Olde Bell and, as everyone knows, St.David is the Patron Saint of Wales, so all men proving that they are Davids, or anyone proving Welsh ancestry is invited to a free buffet on the night of March 1st! There will also be discounts on drinks, raffle prizes, silly games etc.

"We won't be too fussy about proof of links with Wales" says Pedr, "possession of a leek might be accepted, for instance!"

With Davids of almost every western nationality - even a Belgian - in town, it could be quite a busy night. For more details and to book yourself into the buffet, just contact David, the idea's originator.

Have a good evening

Norm!

Hmmmm....Welsh ancestry; or is it incestry (just kidding!)

I suppose showing my current Thai drivers license with surname "Griffith" will suffice- a resoundingly taffy name?

Been meaning to check out the Olde Bell; I understand they do a mean cheese plate, and good food, as well as the usual libations.

See my Old Country brethren March 1, then!

Warning for non-Welsh thinking of attending- we like to drink a wee bit..... :o

Sounds like a great idea to me..... :o

Me too! Just looking at my address book I have 8 of the local D's on there. I will spread the word accordingly.

Hope it's a great night and if Welsh whiskey is served, hope it's good. If Pedr makes a very rare error of judgement and serves up that Welsh alleged "beer" (Felinfoel? Feline-foot? Fell-in-vile whatever?) I'll ensure I'm elsewhere!

Croseo-y-Cymru and all that!!

• 3 weeks later...

St Davids Day is still on. As far as I know - and lets face it - I know no more than any other Bangkok Post reader! The booze ban this weekend is only on Saturday night as the electorate only votes on Sunday this week so they only need protecting from the evils of strong liquor on Saturday night.

Mae-Rim-Man: yes! i've included those with the middle name David!! The prize draws for free beers include everyone - even our esteemed English neighbours!!

With the boys in red riding high in the 6-Nations it should auger well for a good night.

Bydd pawb yn croeso, ond croeso arbenig i unrhwyun sy'n dod o Gymru!! Dod i ymuno ni os gwelwch yn dda - rwdw i'n ddim eisiau gormod o Sais!!!

Happy St Davids Day to all!

Gwyl Dewi Sant Hapus i bawb!