Thai Govt To Ban Smoking In Private Homes

george

Thai government urged to carry out new policy on smoking

BANGKOK: -- Thai government has been urged to declare a smoke-free homes policy to protect children from the effect of passive smoking, local media reported here on Friday.

The government should actively support non-smokers' right by encouraging people who smoke to quit the habit and care more about their family's health, Hatai Chitanond, president of the National Health Foundation was quoted by the Bangkok Post newspaper as saying at an international anti-smoking meeting.

In Thailand, about half of the households have at least one smoker, 85 percent of them are male, according to a study in northern Thailand by Chiang Mai University. It said each one in two children aged 1-15 live in a home with at least one smoker.

Smokers should realize that they are damaging not only their own health but also that of others who will suffer from second-hand smoke in the long-run, Chitanond said.

He meanwhile called for health authorities to wage campaign against smoking both in public and private places, and raise the concern of parents.

Sathirakorn Pongpanich of Chulalongkorn University warned that smoking can also cause a health care burden for society in the near future.

Last year, Thai government spend 41.05 billion baht (977 million US dollars) to treat people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heart disease and lung cancer, said Pongpanich.He estimated the health care costs for the three diseased would rise to 49.9 billion baht (about 1.19 billion US dollars) in 2007

--Agencies 2004-09-17

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They haven't even managed to fully enforce the no smoking policy in restaurants yet. I've walked out of at least half a dozen restaurants in the past few months because they were full of patrons (almost exclusively foreigners, by the way) being allowed to happily puff away.

They haven't even managed to fully enforce the no smoking policy in restaurants yet. I've walked out of at least half a dozen restaurants in the past few months because they were full of patrons (almost exclusively foreigners, by the way) being allowed to happily puff away.

Then provide a smoking area! Then we can all be happy. I was probably one of those "almost exclusively foreigners" that upset you :o

Hey this is a very very big issue

! RIGHT ON! Some good news for once!

Finally Mr. Toxin and his boys have a GOOD idea!

How many sick stupid men (fathers and others) I see holding the baby in one hand and a toxic smoke in the other!

While the woman just sit there and put up with it!

Bad mothering is what I call it!

Right on! Let’s get rid of all smokers, Farang and the rest of the cockroaches too!

Let them all smoke on the moon or in the dump where that crap belongs!

:o Yeah right !

funny that NOBODY seems to be concerned about the busses and other vehicles stinking huge black fumes from cheap diesel on the roads.

Just walk 1 hour outside on sukhumvit (if possible with white cloth) and than have a shower. Look at the "sauce" than !!!!! Imagine how our lungs must be happy!!!

BTW do you have also sweet neighbours burning their trash in the night, waking you up caughing and enjoy the stinky smells ?

Pesche

If there were a hotline to report smoking in restaurants, I'd definitely use it. Right now, I'm compiling a list of the offending establishments to send to the Minister of Health. If anyone has any to report, please send them along so I can include them.

Well there isn't, and I certainly wouldn't pass on my favourite restaurants that permit smoking. Crusades went out in the twelth century, and if you want your own clean air, start with the real pollutants!! I choose to smoke, and it's MY choice, not yours!

I tend to be more tolerant. Why call the KGB or the Homelandsecurity or whatever, if an eating place allows smokers in.

With so many restaurants around, you have a choice. And if your preference is no-smoking, go to a no-smoking restaurant.

Btw: There are many places where smoking is legally allowed. The only places I do not like to eat, open-air restaurants with buses passing by. The Diesel-fumes spoil my taste. But if you light up, even with a nice Cuban cigar, it does not bother me.

It was until the law was passed last year. Now it is no longer your choice to smoke in restaurants.

You've got 24 hours a day to smoke. Is it too much to ask that you not do so in the couple hours a day max you might spend in a restaurant, around kids and other people who don't want your filth in their bodies?

If there were a hotline to report smoking in restaurants, :D

I complained about the smoking situation last time I was in the "Londoner"with the intention of eating in the restaurant and was informed that "we a ba..not apply"...So thats OK then...

Forget the meal :D The place "honked"and I could not imagine how anyone could possibly enjoy the combination of good food,beer or wine with the sickly nauseating aroma/taste in the air comprising :D the residues of all those cancerous,supricated and degenerating human "floating" lung tissues....J.H.C

I dont object to smoking per say and if someone wants to shoot funny substances into their body whether orally,intrev or whatever then as life style adverts say "do it in the comfort of your home" and dont display in front of anyone else.

Like "dumping"there needs to be a room put aside for this sort of function but unlike "dumping" the smell seems to last longer.

Complete ban in ALL public places,bars,pubs,resturants,airports,malls,

buses,hospitals :D -YES but in your own gaff/pit /dosshouse/semi/

condo..........not realistic :o

The problem with cigarettes makers is they don’t put quite enough poison in them to kill the “suicide seekers” quick enough.

It takes 10-20 years which is just too long in my book!

If they would make the whole ordeal take say a week or two, I for one think we could afford smokers smoking because it would be over with quickly.

I think personally a better way to kill oneself would be with a firearm.

That way, it’s quick & easy (just one pull of a small trigger) and not a bunch of people have to put up with toxic smoke while you take your sweet time to kill yourself!

This is my take of how stupid the whole thing is.

I once spent the night in a hospital in Indonesia.

What man (real man that is!) there does not smoke?

There were no private rooms left so I got to stay with the other poor men in a room.

It was full of 12 men all dieing from cigarette smoking.

What a God awful night!

It would make anyone with half a brain (I realize that’s asking a lot here in Asia) to out right stop stop or at least not subject children and other innocent people (ME TOO!) the toxic on slot of this terrible, terrible poison!

I've got an even better idea. Why don't the Thai authorities simply make breathing illegal? If one wasn't breathing, one wouldn't be taking in all of these noxious pollutants and everybody would therefore be healthier. Of course as with any other Thai law, the powers-that-be wouldn't bother to enforce this new law except when they need a crackdown. The beauty of my proposed law is that the authorites would be within their rights to arrest anybody, at any time, because after all, breathing would be illegal. Just a thought... :o

Is this the Thai equivalent of April Fools day????

Totally unenforceable and therefore laughable.

As someone else said get rid of the real pollutants in the Tha atmosphere first.

PS I am not a smoker!!

Apparently ovenman you don’t qualify for the ½ brain status yet. Maybe if you stopped smoking your brain cells would regrow and you could think clearly again!

Try eating your cigarette! I hear there is enough nicotine in one to kill a pig.

Go for it so we can have a better world for the rest of us. It would be a worthwhile sacrifice!

Rinrada got it right, there is a law in LoS disallowing smoking in restaurants.

This does not apply for bar- and pub-licences as far as I know.

But again, my point is different. You don't like a place where the fumes are hanging, don't go there. Vice versa, you don't like a place where smoking is banned, don't go there.

You don't like a country where smoking is not allowed in public places, don't go there and let the places or countries know why you don't come any more.

I fully agree to the comments on dangers of unhaling any toxic substance. But I do not need some government-people to tell me what's right or wrong. Especially not a government of any country that at the same time makes a fortune on taxes from the sales of the fags.

Btw, Cuban cigars I do not smoke, neither do I smoke any but there are different way to use them. Perhaps we can find a way for cigarettes as well to use them with other purpose than smoking.

@ ayakiawe. Sorry, cannot read your post, too much smoke in your fonts.

@ PvtDick. My kids are too old to be kids anymore. None of them smokes. But even when they were kids, I would not have dreamed of taking them, at least at night time, to a restaurant. Sorry, they stayed at home in bed, to catch the school bus 6:30 am next morning.

Astral you must not be paying attention very closely!

Real pollutants you say! Oh you must not know or your head in the ground or what?

There are more than 2000 carefully selected different chemicals used in modern cigarette mixtures all designed to kill you (and any other innocent victims within near vicinity) slowly.

These are REALLY, dangerous too.

If it were just natural leaves burning it could be no problem for me but today’s smokes are really full of super toxic chemicals which I think is the most important point to get clear!

The papers are made from super toxic chemicals too!

Please don’t smoke around others!

ANYONE!

And it’s our right (mothers and babies too) as non smokers to not have to breath your f….g toxic smoke, all you dumb selfish smokers!

the som tarm lady said

everyone sees the obvious - like if i add 1 cockroach to the som tarm and pound it in no one will know - however if they see a cockroach on my cart they say - oh how dirty dont eat there.

Its the same with samoking - people see it and think its dirty - but hey i make som tarm all day in this filthy traffic so what do my lungs look like?

Also when i go home to put the aircon on - do you know i looked into the drip tray in the ceiling and it was full of green gunge - so everynight i sleep i breath in this mushroom - budha knows whats going on in my lungs / body

Oh and dont get me started on the carcinogens thais put in the food chain for for many many years - and now oh yes the GM foods - grow a new head - growth hormones -

oh yes what we cant see

flu, aids, chicken virus, ebola,

god bless te children - whatever they turn out to look like

Nothing like this topic to bring us all out battling for our respective corners. A couple of points.

1. I toally agree with all those who say that if they choose to smoke then that is up to them. They know the risks and accept them. Som nam na.

2. When in the UK (many moons ago) I was responsible for the management of part of the NHS. I can assure members that it is a fact that the one common factor uniting all patients on respiratory disease wards, and vascular disease wards is that 99% of them are smokers. To see these poor devils dying a harsh death in front of their families is not a pretty sight. Yet these same people were probably the ones declaring their independent right to smoke and enjoy themselves.

I gave up 30 years ago and do not feel holier than thou. It is a real problem not just a political football.

A solution finally!

A drug addict (nicotine is a very powerful and addictive drug) can get very cleaver and creative protecting their sick addiction.

Self righteous too!

All the way to justifying killing others (second hand smoke kills too) for it!

I kid you not!

I say, until they stop there addition, completely, don’t let them even have a say.

Not to be trusted just like crack addicts.

Lock them up, if they subject anyone to this toxic chemical trash anywhere, anytime.

Put them in a sealed locked room the manufactures uses to test the cigarette smoke and see how the rats react to it!

Problem solved once and for all!

I like this better than a firearm solution! Saves bullets for other A holes!

Could you sensationalize it a little more for us George? I mean please, how do you get:

"Thai Govt to ban smoking in private homes"

"The government should actively support non-smokers' right by encouraging people who smoke to quit the habit and care more about their family's health, Hatai Chitanond, president of the National Health Foundation"