Thai Govt To Ban Smoking In Private Homes

george

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame shame on any smoker who doesn’t t ask for forgiveness and apologizes for causing harm to others persons (babies and everyone else for that matter) physical bodies!

You are a shameful group of worthless trash in my book if you dont do this now and keep this toxic smoke away from everyone!

While you are busy killing yourself (some of you call it pleasure) please spare us the same treatment!

I would like to see large fines and long jail terms for this crime myself!

Well you are obviously not smoking dope, but you must be on some other medication that is effecting your grey matter. I just hope that if you stick to your doctors perscription, you will avoid you forthcoming stroke :o

Medication includes fresh whole foods, good water and lots of nice fresh coconuts.

Unlike most I walk my talk. I know what drugs are and do my best to avoid them. It takes one to know one and I am sure you dont know this one at all!

Brother you dont even have a clue!

Back to step one for you!

so after they found nearly 2 to of good ghanja in chiang mai / rai did somebody blast their connrction or what

how much is the shin corp earning with tabaco

but right well smoking is unhealthy

specially for the smallest one in the country

that why i like these adults which smoke on the road and share their filters with the youngsters

reality seen in many places where the under 16 couldn't buy their own

Here we go again,

You must be the only person i have ever heard of never to have had any prescribed drugs in your life.

Clearly you were vaccinated as a child then as your stance on animal testing would not allow this, or are you still an infant.

Your ranting on this subject clearly shows you are either immiture or in need of a very good psychiatrist and soon.

I agree that it is not nice for non smokers to inhale our smoke so again i say i would not smoke in a non smoking area, but i choose when and where i eat and drink no probs.

You say you just eat whole foods and coconuts or their juice, i must ask do you also have a brown furry coat?????

My sister has worked in the haermatological pathology lab of Newcastle General Hospital for the last 20 years and has conducted her own data research over that time ........

95% of all LUNG cancer patients who smoke, smoke ready made cigarettes. The remaining 5% smoke cigars, pipes, roll-your-own in roughly equal proportions. The primary carcenogenic in ready mades is saltpetre - the stuff that is included in gunpowder to ignite it. Only 65% of lung cancer victims are smokers in her data.

She also points out ......

The average human adult lung has a one litre air capacity - which makes the average inhale/exhale action of cigarette smoke, the equivalent of one revolution of a car engine.

The average smoker consumes 20 cigarettes a day. 20 x 365 per year = 7,300 per year. 50 years (average smoking years per person) x 7,300 = 365,000 cigarettes x average 10 inhalations per cigarette = 3,650,000 smoke filled exhalations in their lifetime

3,650,000 = 1,216 minutes, or 20 hours 16 minutes of running your 2-litre car at 3,000 rpm (slow cruising speed) = Bangkok to Sukhothai and back.

So, the non-smokers who use the money to put extra petrol in their cars for a weekend away, actually produce more cancerous pollutants and greenhouse gases in that weekend than a smoker does in their lifetime.

Both she and I are smokers and feel more guilty about driving than we do about smoking.

ayakiawe,

What about people who f-rt in public.Do you think we could have them put down, or just maybe tax them per cubic litre of methane.

Now f-arting at resturants should be a crime.....a couple of smokes does not worry me too much, but a silent stinky one..that really puts me off my food. :o

Hey this is a very very big issue

! RIGHT ON! Some good news for once!

Finally Mr. Toxin and his boys have a GOOD idea!

How many sick stupid men (fathers and others) I see holding the baby in one hand and a toxic smoke in the other!

While the woman just sit there and put up with it!

Bad mothering is what I call it!

Right on! Let’s get rid of all smokers, Farang and the rest of the cockroaches too!

Let them all smoke on the moon or in the dump where that crap belongs!

This is a big world, we all have to be here smokers and non smokers, don't be so fanatic about the issue.

It seems that smokers are just obnoxious. Even if a close family member contracts lung cancer from passive smoking, culminating in a very painful death, they still continue. Care about other peoples health? No chance. They make everyones clothes stink like a filthy ashtray to boot. I'm an ex-smoker but I've had more sense for a long time.

For me, the health issues involved in second-hand smoke are secondary.

Primary is the fact that it ruins the taste of food and drink, makes my eyes water, and leaves my clothing stinking to high heaven.

It's bad enough that bars and pubs still allow smoking. But there is no excuse for it in restaurants...none! I want to taste my food for godssakes, not the smoke that has already been swirling around your lungs.

Actually, in most places in the US smoking is still permitted in restaurants that provide a smoking section (this is something that is decided on by city governments). So don't blame the Thai government policy on the US. This is one area where Thailand is ahead of most of the rest of the world (the rest of the world will follow eventually, don't worry).

PS: nowhere does it say there is going to be a law against smoking at home! It just says people will be "encouraged" not to smoke at home. Big <deleted>' deal! Don't listen to them if you don't want to. But if you smoke in a restaurant, be prepared to shell out a 20,000 baht fine if you happen to be seated next to me and I have the phone number of the nearest police station handy.

But if you smoke in a restaurant, be prepared to shell out a 20,000 baht fine if you happen to be seated next to me and I have the phone number of the nearest police station handy.

I believe the fine to be 2000 baht on all the signs that I have seen, and if I was sitting next to you I would take great pleasure in lighting up, and watch you try to go through the motions. Keep up the sterling work :o Better still find a non-smoking restaurant! Remember smoking is not banned in all restaurants.....fortunately :D

<!--QuoteBegin-Anon999+Fri 2004-09-17, 23:21:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Anon999 @ Fri 2004-09-17, 23:21:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Even if a close family member contracts lung cancer from passive smoking, culminating in a very painful death, they still continue. Care about other peoples health? No chance. They make everyones clothes stink like a filthy ashtray to boot. I'm an ex-smoker but I've had more sense for a long time. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haven't heared this since my father died (last year) and my colleges wanted to make him believe that.

First of all: no one has to die in pain of lung cancer.

Second: the study on passive smoking leading to lung cancer is as proved as inhaling CO2 would lead to a carcinoma.

BTW: if something stinks it doesn't have to be unhealthy - don't you cope with that?

I resign on this useless discussion...

ADMIN: editing a quote results in the above...

Wrong. Smoking is banned in ALL airconditioned restaurants. It does not matter if the place is registered as a "bar" or "pub" -- if they are serving anything more than cocktail peanuts, smoking is forbidden. Trust me, I have done some research.

Actually, the 20,000 baht fine is to the restaurant owner. I think you may be right that the fine to the smoker is 2,000 baht.

And if you don't think I have the right people on my speed dial to get police on the scene within 15 minutes...try me. Not a boast, but the truth. I deal with the cops every single day of my life, as part of my job.

Haven't heared this since my father died (last year) and my colleges wanted to make him believe that.

First of all: no one has to die in pain of lung cancer.

Second: the study on passive smoking leading to lung cancer is as proved as inhaling CO2 would lead to a carcinoma.

I resign on this useless discussion...

Depends which type of lung cancer! The one my wife had does not respond to treatment and you have just 8 months to live after it exits the lungs. Then is spreads itself including into the throat so your intake of food is slowly reduced and then it becomes impossible to drink too.

Pain! Even on 24 hour drip there is pain.

You should try watching someone die slowly in front of your eyes.

Wrong. Smoking is banned in ALL airconditioned restaurants.

Actually, the 20,000 baht fine is to the restaurant owner. I think you may be right that the fine to the smoker is 2,000 baht.

And if you don't think I have the right people on my speed dial to get police on the scene within 15 minutes...try me. Not a boast, but the truth. I deal with the cops every single day of my life, as part of my job.

Glad that you clarified that point, that's what I meant when I said that not all restaurants....

".......to get police on the scene within 15 minutes........" Yeah and pigs might fly (no pun intended) I deal with them every day too, and even in dire emergencies, 15 minutes is stretching it a little. Still you can live in hope with your mighty speed dialler :o

You know, Maejo...you're the kind of person who would throw a fit if someone used a cell phone next to you in a movie theater. Or played loud music near you on the beach. Yet these two things are just rude and annoying to most people -- neither is illegal nor impinges on anyone's health.

Smoking in an airconditioned restaurant is not only rude and annoying to most people, it is also illegal and has health implications. Yet you seem to be proud that you don't give a ###### about anyone else -- nor the law -- and delight in doing it anyway.

What kind of person do you think that makes you?

Have you ever looked at the pictures of lungs of people who lived in LA California versus people who live in the country, pretty bad I must say.

I figure living in Bangkok probably rates right up there and even worse so maybe we should shoot all you people who drives cars there and then we will shoot all the people who drive on buses. then we will shoot people who are going to make list of where they say people smoking to send to the government.

Frankly I grew up in a family of smokers although I don't smoke and it dosn't bother me much.

It amazing how polite many of the worlds smokers have become since people have gotten down on smoking.

But when I go to a bar I don't mind if every one smokes as I feel that this is a place whwere people go to relax and enjoy them selves.

In fact if there arn't enough smokers I always light you the thached roofs of the country bars so I can feel at home :D

In fact I used to import Cuban cigars to America. I used to get a kick out of selling them to the US state department and the US police and US customs officals and US military.

It always amazed me how many people who were supposed to keep Cuban cigars out of the country couldn't wait to get there hands on them :o

Randyksf, spot on! With cigarettes at 35 baht a pack, then it is no surprise that smokers are reluctant to kick the habit. Come on, Thaksin, how about a major tax increase on cigarettes. Ah, there's the problem, there's an election shortly and many rural voters are also smokers. It's the same with booze. Early closing hours are not the way to control drinking in Thailand. Put the tax up on Thai and ASEAN liquor. Again, not exactly a vote winner, is it? Maybe we'll see something in February!

I smoked for 17 years and have been non-smoking for 10. before I had poor sense of smell and allergies. no allergies now and can smell everything just fine..

I still say ban smoking on all public areas, and increase taxes. if not just ban cigarettes outright.

Hello all,

I do not live in Thailand. That being said, I don't see how they could ban smoking in homes. Do they mean residential complexes or actual homes?

I must say that while in Thailand, I walked from my hotel (Rama Garden) to Central Ladprao in the fumes. It was pretty interesting. The motor vehicle toxins were so strong that I don't even remember seeing anyone smoking.

Here in the US, they have problems enforcing no smoking laws in pubs. How can they ever expect to enforce them in the homes of private citizens? If I were a Thai national (or even an ex-pat living there), I would write a letter to parliament and Toxin telling them that they are infringing upon the ideal of a "private" home.

Why create a nationwide ban on smoking when the idea is to curb it in specific cases to protect youths? Why not, instead, ban smoking with children around? At least that would be funny to watch -- man lights up, "officer" sends a youth to the man then threatens to arrest/fine him if he doesn't "admit" to wrong doing.

For what it's worth, I don't smoke. I'm actually mildly allergic to cigarette smoke. However, I believe that if someone owns a home, it should be their right to do what they wish in that home, short of murder. (And before anyone -- AyaKiawe -- pipes up about how cigarettes kill... I mean actually murder. You can't get charged with murder for smoking a cigarette.)

--Dane

The most immediate and obvious threat to the lives of children (and others) that I have seen in Thailand (I have spent the last 12 months in Korat) is the transport of multiple children illegally positioned on motorcycles all without helmets.

The second highest immediate threat to life is the transport of children (and adults) in overloaded vehicles all of whom are not wearing seatbelts.

These children (and adults) are also exposed in the most immediate sense to long periods of intense toxic fumes.

If the real issue is the safety and long term health issues of people in general and specifically children why not address the immediate and undisputable link between road accidents and death.

:o

Ban alcohol for all the trouble it causes.

Ban cars for the pollutants they release into the air.

Ban aerosols.

Ban fires for warming up the planet.

Ban

Ban

Ban - ######ing - ban!

Have people nothing better to do than make themselves feel superior by inflicting their own attitudes on the rest of the populace?

All these idiot in the government.... can't believe they could think of such a thing!!! Ban smoking in homes?? are you frikking kidding me?? Then all the smokers would have to go out to smoke and cause more harm to the public than already does! what kind of logic is that?!

If they want to smoke, fine, do it in your own home, I don't care if you're killing your family members in your home... not my problem. But when I go eat out I wanna enjoy clean air and food aroma, don't wanna be a second-hand smoker! It's bad enough that pubs and bars are filled with smokers.. now if you wanna smoke, go to pubs/bars... I've ever been to a pub only once in my life because I can't stand the smokes!

If you wanna ban smoking why don't you take care of these public places first???? If there's the only place to smoke, it should be their home!!

Wrong. Smoking is banned in ALL airconditioned restaurants.

I've never quite understood why it is only air conditioned places. If you only have fans isn't that just as bad?

But......

I'm a smoker. I'm going to always smoke in my home cos it is just that----MY HOME. And if the police or anyone else don't like it, they are more than welcome to jump over the wall and take it up with Daisy and Alan (our rotweillers).