Work Permit For Teaching English At Local Temple

Outta curiousity I wonder if I can get a work permit for teaching English at our local Wat.?

I won't be moving here for a couple of years, but today, the Wat asked me to teach English (no pay) to their students.

Doesn't sound like much money :o but not much less than the Colombo-American University offered me in Bogota in 1973 $30 per month for a teaching position.

One of the teachers at the village school asked me again last night if I would go into the classroom with a Thai teacher who speaks English and help out.

While I understand the need for a work permit swe live waaay out in the boonies and I don't think anyone would bother to check.

Oddly enough this is the second school in the area to ask me that.

What should my reply be?

I am 64 this year mostly retired with 0% teaching experience.

One of the teachers at the village school asked me again last night if I would go into the classroom with a Thai teacher who speaks English and help out.

While I understand the need for a work permit swe live waaay out in the boonies and I don't think anyone would bother to check.

Oddly enough this is the second school in the area to ask me that.

What should my reply be?

I am 64 this year mostly retired with 0% teaching experience.

I taught in local village schools for a few years without a work permit.

I did this for free and was assured by the local authorities that it was safe to do so.

Despite their reassurances I did realise that if caught I would be in big trouble and could face deportation.

Since my son was born I am less willing to take the chance and have quit teaching for free without a permit.

Living in the sticks there can be pressure to do this type of work.

Are you willing to take the small risk that you could be deported and not allowed back into Thailand for 11 years?

If so go for it. It is a great learning experience and a good way to become close to the community.