20% Hike In Duty Free Booze Prices

When I went out of Thailand last week I checked out the prices of my favourite tipples Jameson and Grants and found that they were both 100 baht more expensive than I'd bought them for on my last trip out in November. A price rise from 550 baht a bottle to 650 baht a bottle.

But on arrival back in Thailand I went to the Duty Free desk by the baggage carousels and was surprised to find that on arrivals they are still the 'old' price of 550 baht.

So a heads up to you lot to stick to purchasing at least booze on the way in.

When I went out of Thailand last week I checked out the prices of my favourite tipples Jameson and Grants and found that they were both 100 baht more

But on arrival back in Thailand I went to the Duty Free desk by the baggage carousels and was surprised to find that on arrivals they are still the 'old' price of 550 baht.

I have noticed this on some of the promotions too (buy one get one and such) that they are not always available on both ends of the trip. Once there was a Bailey's promo going out so I thought I would wait till my return a couple days later to but it (so as to save weight and such) and when I asked on my return they said it was only available on outbound purchases :o

That's likely because you're only allowed to bring in 1 bottle into Thailand and they won't sell you more than your Duty Free allowance.

On the price hike I thought it's just to make some more money out of the tourists, after all, everything else in the departures lounge is more expensive than in downtown Bangkok.

That's likely because you're only allowed to bring in 1 bottle into Thailand and they won't sell you more than your Duty Free allowance.

On the price hike I thought it's just to make some more money out of the tourists, after all, everything else in the departures lounge is more expensive than in downtown Bangkok.

isnt that the same the world over

For booze, Japan retail is about 40% of BKK Duty Free prices, have never bought a thing there.

For booze, Japan retail is about 40% of BKK Duty Free prices, have never bought a thing there.

You are saying, a 550 Baht bottle of booze in Thailand, in Japan mould only cost 220 Baht?

Ya joking of course.

You are saying, a 550 Baht bottle of booze in Thailand, in Japan mould only cost 220 Baht?

Ya joking of course.

Stolichnaya Vodka 900 Yen...about 270B.

Jim Beam and similar, that same proportion.

There are retail places adjoined to Jusco ( like Lotus/Tesco) that sell the booze for unbelievable low prices. They are just about anywhere in Japan.

Nobody in Japan really wants those spirits. Only few of us. Japanese would not take a notice even if there was a deluge of whiskey bottles in the streets.

Edited by think_too_mut

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at allowances, and can only find the following;

CUSTOMS & DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND RESTRICTIONS

Tobacco....................200 cigarettes

Liquor.......................1 litre

Cameras....................No restrictions

Film...........................Reasonable amount for personal use

Perfume.....................Reasonable amount for personal use

Gifts...........................No duty free allowance

Currency....................Must be declared on arrival

Agriculture items.......Refer to consulate

Anyone know the allowances on wine, i.e. 2 bottles like most places? And is this allowed on top of the 1 litre spirits?

Guess Kng Power need to rip off more to pay douceurs

Thai drinks much cheaper(normal BKK prices 10-30baht) at Family Mart on arrivals levels

and nearly all int liquor brands are cheaper in KL Dubai OZ where you can buy on arrival

Chok Dee

• 2 weeks later...

most branded spirits are probably a little bit cheaper in Japan than Thailand, most well-known brands come in around the $18-25 mark.

it's cigarettes that are cheap in Japan - they're easily the cheapest in any of the world's first rank of developed countries, though not as cheap as in Thailand.