What Ever Happened To?

LtLOS

Thought this might be fun for any of the folks out there that have been here for a while...or forever. Was thinking about all the restos that have been here but closed over the years.

My first was Wimpy's burgers....some folks tell me I'm wrong, but I can remember one here in the mid 70's, anyone out there confirm this?

Wendy's American fast food very short life.

The sports bar where the Tony Roma's is now...what was the name?....

Another friend insists there were Shakey's pizza here in the past, and I don't remember those at all?

There was also a place in Bangkok that you picked your meats raw and the staff grilled them for you, was very popular, but lost the name.

Any answers, or more questions?

Yup will confirm the Domino's, don't recall gack in the sack (jack in the box), or Arby's myself.

What happened to the Italian place on the first floor in front of the World Center after it remodeled?

Also can't remember the name?

Shakey's also had a branch in Sukhumvit Soi 12, I believe that's Sukhumvit Square which is now all Korean.

I don't remember the Jack in the Box, that would've been one of my favorites, but going to the World Trade Center would've put me off anyhow - maybe that's why I don't remember it.

Arby's didn't last long, nor did Popeye's, Long John Silver, Yoshinoya (Beef Bowl), Wendy's, or Taco Time - they were all brought in by ICC, a publicly-listed cosmetics company which has thankfully gone back to its roots because they didn't know the first thing about consumer fast food. Too bad because I liked having all of them around. Wendy's in MBK became Santas, which explains why they still have burgers (way inferior) and baked potatoes.

TGIF's used to be in Ploenchit Center - pricey but nice for a change. Replicated the whole fun atmosphere as well.

Domino's was poor pizza to begin with, but fortunately they were the ones who inspired delivery by Pizza Hut, then by Pizza Company when Bill Heinecke broke away from Tricon/Pizza Hut over his plans to bring Australia's Chicken Treat here (which, by the way, was horrible and a miserable failure). Domino's in the US, however, is traditional uni food.

Denny's was brought here by a husband-wife team who sadly seemed to lack the know-how to market a 24 hour eatery. Its last branch was on Soi 33 (where Tenderloins is now if I'm not mistaken).

Bob's Big Boy was brought in by an entrepreneur but the quality of the food was horrible by comparison to Big Boy's in the US. His other claim to fame is as the father of the singer Briohny who has now changed her name to one I can't remember off the top of my head. There were two locations, Seacon Square, and if I'm not mistaken, The Mall Bangkapi.

Edited by onethailand

Wow, I never knew so many chains used to be here in Bangkok. I really wish Jack in the Box and Wendy's were still here, they make some decent fast food, better than what we have now.

As for TGIF, is it really gone? A couple years ago I ate in a restaurant called San Fransisco in Ploenchit Square, and their menu was basically the same as TGIF, and had TGIF stickers all over the place. I had assumed it had just been rebranded. I'm not in the area much, so am not sure if it is still there.

The Cock N Bull was one of my usual haunts for sausages and mash while watching videos. There was a cowboy themed place above and I can’t remember the name. Then there was the Kangaroo supermarket next door or closeby.

The Cock N Bull was one of my usual haunts for sausages and mash while watching videos. There was a cowboy themed place above and I can’t remember the name. Then there was the Kangaroo supermarket next door or closeby.

Yep, properly the greatest selection of videos in South east Asia.

I won't tell you the name of club upstairs yet. :o

Good game.

Who remembers the Cock n Bull restaurant? It was right where the Westin Grande Hotel, Suk, Bkk is right now. For a bonus point, what was the nightclub above it called?

I think the Cock n Bull was on the corner of Soi 29.

The place upstairs was the Joker Club - very good Country and Western band with a Filipino guitarist but American lead singer and drummer - called, imaginatively, "Sticks".

Patrick

Good game.

Who remembers the Cock n Bull restaurant? It was right where the Westin Grande Hotel, Suk, Bkk is right now. For a bonus point, what was the nightclub above it called?

I think the Cock n Bull was on the corner of Soi 29.

The place upstairs was the Joker Club - very good Country and Western band with a Filipino guitarist but American lead singer and drummer - called, imaginatively, "Sticks".

Patrick

No and yes.

Corner of Suk 19 not 29 and the club was indeed called The Joker, was the singer called Freddie? Jeez going back 20 odd years.

As for TGIF, is it really gone? A couple years ago I ate in a restaurant called San Fransisco in Ploenchit Square, and their menu was basically the same as TGIF, and had TGIF stickers all over the place. I had assumed it had just been rebranded. I'm not in the area much, so am not sure if it is still there.

It's gone. :o

• 13 years later...