What About This Idea. (regarding Gaining Visa)

I will be getting some money from my parents shortly. They are currently in the process of selling there house and they have promised me to give my wife and I a hefty lump soon. Now with this we are going to open up an internet shop. We are convinced this will bring in 40,000THB per month as least. NOw if we were to pay tax on that under her name as the boss of the shop, small business I am sure ill be elibible for the one year visa. As I understand the requirement is a combined income. So as long as either, I, her or the two combined have that income and we are paying tax on it then we should be ok. What are your thoughts guys>? Lopburi please respond if you have time. I hate working on a tourist visa and im worried mosy days and will stop it asap. What do you think about my plan?

That will work. Or she could be selling noodles from a push cart. All that is required is the tax receipt proof of a 40k monthly combined family income. You receive one year extension of stay - not a visa. You can receive a visa without an income requirement. Your passport, photo, copy of marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and any Consulate should issue you a 90 day non immigrant visa. Penang or KL might even issue a multi entry valid for up to 15 months of 90 day stays. But if you have the income you will not have to make visa/border runs and be set for one year at a time.

That will work. Or she could be selling noodles from a push cart. All that is required is the tax receipt proof of a 40k monthly combined family income. You receive one year extension of stay - not a visa. You can receive a visa without an income requirement. Your passport, photo, copy of marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and any Consulate should issue you a 90 day non immigrant visa. Penang or KL might even issue a multi entry valid for up to 15 months of 90 day stays. But if you have the income you will not have to make visa/border runs and be set for one year at a time.

Lopburi, in steve's case wouldn't he still need a work permit to physically participate in running the business ?

And if this kind of business was setup by an unmarried foreigner, but under a Thai Company what would be the

monthly income required to get a work permit ?

I didn't notice that he said he was going to be working. He mentioned wife running it.

So the OP should be aware that getting a one year extension is one thing but he shouldn't be seen assisting the business in any way if he doesn't intend getting a WP, especially if he has just opened up in competition to others around. :o

That will work. Or she could be selling noodles from a push cart. All that is required is the tax receipt proof of a 40k monthly combined family income.

Lopburi, since you mention "selling noodles from a push cart" she probably wouldn't be filing Por Ngor Dor 1 papers every month.

It is my understanding that the tax evidence is the Por Ngor Dor 90/91 form which would mean that the income would have to have been 40k every month for the past tax-year (Jan.-Dec.2550)

Is this correct or am I mistaken?

opalhort

And she probably would not be making 40k selling noodles - but she could be and she could file such tax information and it would most likely be accepted by Immigration.

The exact time requirements seems to vary a bit by time of year and office involved.

That will work. Or she could be selling noodles from a push cart. All that is required is the tax receipt proof of a 40k monthly combined family income.

Lopburi, since you mention "selling noodles from a push cart" she probably wouldn't be filing Por Ngor Dor 1 papers every month.

It is my understanding that the tax evidence is the Por Ngor Dor 90/91 form which would mean that the income would have to have been 40k every month for the past tax-year (Jan.-Dec.2550)

Is this correct or am I mistaken?

opalhort

This is a point I would like to know as I want a marriage visa too, but my wife has only had a business for a couple of months. Does this mean I couldn't get a visa until she files her tax forms next year?

My wife has just opened a small shop selling the usual stuff plus she is also selling noodles and Thai food.

It has been running a couple of weeks and she is turning over 8 to 900 baht a day and at the weekend sometimes it goes up to around 1500 baht a day.

Around 1300 baht a day will get you (just) the 40k baht you need.

The main problem with an internet shop is that you are open from mid-morning until midnight or later 7 days a week depending on where the shop will be.

We have a friend in Samut Prakan and with 15 units he charges 10 baht an hour so flat out it is 150 per hour or 1800 baht per 12 hour day before costs are taken into consideration.

His shop is airconditioned but he rarely uses the a/c as it gets to be expensive.

For 15 units you would probably spend upto 12k per unit plus the shop rental (unless you own it), electricity for that lot for 16 hours a day, desks and chairs etc is going to come out at a fair rate.

If you can speak Thai very well life will be a bit easier, if not your wife will have to be there most of the time. If you can you should get a fridge to sell cold dfrinks and snacks to get more income.

Your location will set the going rate depending on the competition and if you plan to work there yourself you may not be able to get a work permit for that job. If you cannot get a WP and you do better than the competition beware they may turn you in to the Immigration Police.

I thought about setting a shop up where my wife is but felt that I have better things to do tahn sit in a shop 16 hours a day.

However it is your choice.

My wife has just opened a small shop selling the usual stuff plus she is also selling noodles and Thai food.

It has been running a couple of weeks and she is turning over 8 to 900 baht a day and at the weekend sometimes it goes up to around 1500 baht a day.

Will it? :o Surely it must be 1300 Baht a day profit not turnover that you declare for tax and use the receipts for your visa.

It probably is but she has only been open a couple of weeks and she is still building the business up slowly.

We had a visit last week from the people in the amphur and they told her she has to go to Khampaeng Phet to get a licence for selling alcohol and tabacco.

She also has to register the shop at the amphur taking photos of the shop and toilet so that she can get the house number etc to enable us to get a real connection to the electricity mains (it is on a connection to a spare meter in the moo ban at the moment) to allow us to pay the bill and also for the water bill.

The reason I explained about the internet shop was that you need to be in the right place and spend a lot of time just running the shop and the returns may not be that high. I honestly think that even if I do nothing it is better than sitting in a shop for 12 to 16 hours a day for a small return.

To return 1300 baht a day profit you will probably need a turnover of 2500 baht a day or more which means more bums on the seats, higher prices and probably more seats and equipment to put the bums on, which might mean a bigger place, more costs etc. However I am sure that the OP has worked out a business plan.

I thought that it was a good idea up here in the boonies until I talked to out friend in Samut Prakan and I thought it over and scrubbed the idea. We had 2 internet shops in the village 10km away but one seems to have closed down and the other doesn't really get busy until the schools close and at the weekends.

I am fortunate enough to have a company pension and I get some offshore work every year so I have no need to work in Thailand.

The reason I explained about the internet shop was that you need to be in the right place and spend a lot of time just running the shop and the returns may not be that high. I honestly think that even if I do nothing it is better than sitting in a shop for 12 to 16 hours a day for a small return.

To return 1300 baht a day profit you will probably need a turnover of 2500 baht a day or more which means more bums on the seats, higher prices and probably more seats and equipment to put the bums on, which might mean a bigger place, more costs etc. However I am sure that the OP has worked out a business plan.

I thought that it was a good idea up here in the boonies until I talked to out friend in Samut Prakan and I thought it over and scrubbed the idea. We had 2 internet shops in the village 10km away but one seems to have closed down and the other doesn't really get busy until the schools close and at the weekends.

I couldn't agree more with your comments, It doesn't look like a proposition to me, The OP would need his wife to be completely computer savvy (as it wouldn't be wise for him to be seen working without a WP which could be very difficult to get for that business), and would need to open very unsocial hours and every one of them.

Business plan? well the OP will not be using his hard earned cash so maybe he's not so cautious but I also would advise a recalculation however that's not the subject of his thread. If they can make a profit of B40,000 per month and pay it to his wife as salary then he gets his visa extension.

Will it? :o Surely it must be 1300 Baht a day profit not turnover that you declare for tax and use the receipts for your visa.

Yes and this is where it can turn more complicated as some businesses have standard deductions and you can end up with millions in turnover and thus VAT issues if you go that route. Think you need 480k profits and if deductions are 80% then you're in for a turnover of 2.4m.

It is still my understanding that if you go to the amphur with last year's tax then they give you the necessary paperwork to take to immigration. This might work out at somewhere slightly over Bt2000 per month. I do not think you can get the extension via this method saying that she now earns 40k, it has to be historical.

Some logic in that really as nipping overseas to get a non immigrant visa and doing the border runs for 12 months would likely be over the tax payment they require.

Yes and this is where it can turn more complicated as some businesses have standard deductions and you can end up with millions in turnover and thus VAT issues if you go that route. Think you need 480k profits and if deductions are 80% then you're in for a turnover of 2.4m.

It is still my understanding that if you go to the amphur with last year's tax then they give you the necessary paperwork to take to immigration. This might work out at somewhere slightly over Bt2000 per month. I do not think you can get the extension via this method saying that she now earns 40k, it has to be historical.

Some logic in that really as nipping overseas to get a non immigrant visa and doing the border runs for 12 months would likely be over the tax payment they require.

It is not a problem for me as I have a visa to live with my Thai child anyway but it may be one for the OP who incidentally does not seem to have come back to the thread.

To get 480,000 in profits from an internet shop may well be impossible so therefore the income route of 40,000 baht visa route probably wont happen in this case.

From your post the amphur will supply the documents for this years tax using last years figures is OK but you need at least 1 years tax to start with so the visa couldn't start for a year after the first tax year anyway.