Laser Tatoo Removal

Flummoxed

Laser tatoo removal in BKK. Readily available? Safe? How effective is it?

Does it leave scar tissue at all? Paeng mai :o

Reason I ask is the tatoo in question is right in the middle of the chest and looks bloody aweful if she wears a low cut dress. If it was removed, even the slightest scarring would probably be just as bad as the tatoo itself.

admittedly the last time i looked into this was a couple of years ago in the UK... at that time the technique was not able to guarantee scar-free removal. it was also relatively expensive but hang the cost, far outweiged any benefit of having a tattoo... decided to wait a few years before looking at it again...

i would be reluctant to have a thai perform any kind of medical related work on me that wasn't for life-saving reasons... just how good are they & what recourse would you have if things went wrong... nah far better to go back to the home country & get someone in harley street to do the work... just my opinion though...

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the color of the tattoo- blues and blacks are probably easiest to get rid of because they can absorb the red laser light, which is easiest to produce- and the method of laser removal. The old system of laser removal used a constant laser beam which indiscriminately heated up everything in the tattoo area, causing significant scarring. The new method uses something called a Q-switch laser, which basically pulses in just enough energy at the right wavelength and depth to break up the pigment chemicals without spilling out extra into the skin and burning. This still requires considerable judgement, and I would guess, expense- the slower and more trips as part of the process, the better. I have no idea how skilled Bangkok doctors are in this, but I would guess they have more experience than most... :o Good luck.

"Steven"

For someone who has had a number of various laser procedures for a wide variety of skin discolorations and blemishes, but not a tattoo, I have the following to offer.

As you know, the skin is a multifple layer organ and varies widely from one area of the body to another and from one person to another. If the lady in question is Asian and particularly Thai, I would go to a Thai dermatologist under 50 for your consultation.

There are many lasers now available and new ones coming along all the time. The depth of the tatoo, when it was installed, will also be important.

As ijustwanttoteach has posted, multiple trips to the dermatologist will probably be required, doing a few layers of skin at a time, until the bottom most has become reachable, after each more superior one has sloughed off.

Was at Yanhee hospital dermatology last week, as my Thai wouldn't let my CNX man do his face, and the lady dermatologist did excellent work on both of us. His included an incision and suturing, which came out very well.

I believe all the dermatologists there are women, which might appeal to a Thai lady, and certainly they being Thai, gives them a superior experience level when it come to Thais. I know, the lady doctor was reluctant to take on some of this Farang's skin lesions. They have a web page which is most informative and dermatogy posts their prices.

I would stay away from plastic surgeons, even though many of them are good with a laser, as the treatment and removal of skin is dermatology, plastic surgeons are more skilled in cutting skin, suturing skin and implanting sub-dermal prothesises.

Good luck, nothing vetured, nothing gained.

• 1 month later...

Reason I ask is the tatoo in question is right in the middle of the chest and looks bloody aweful if she wears a low cut dress. If it was removed, even the slightest scarring would probably be just as bad as the tatoo itself.

I have the same problem with my GF. Have you decided yet who to go to with your GF?

I have the same problem with my GF. Have you decided yet who to go to with your GF?

Not yet... lets stay in touch regading this.

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet... lets stay in touch regading this.

My GF went to Phuket Bangkok International hospital. THey did smoe tests on her skin (800 bht) and told her that her skinis very sensitive to scarring and that the treatment would have to be done very slowly in several sessions.

4 - 5 sessions would do but each one costs 35,000 bht.

Expensive...She said she doesn't want to do it, let's buy some land in her country instead. Well I still want to research some more maybe BKK would be cheaper.

Will appreciate any clues.

hi, not an expert on this but a friend of mine gf was getting some 'black tattoos' of her shoulder, saw her a year later but had alot of 'white foreground' wouldn'd advise it until i i say before and after photos.