Can Ministry Of Foreign Affairs In Bkk Make Legalized Copies?

When I married with my Thai wife I had to make legalized copies of our Thai marriage certificate at the city hall in Thailand and then go to the ministry of foreign affairs in BKK again to get them legalized again (legalization of the signature).

Now my child was just born (in Thailand) and I need legalized copies of the birth certificate (for use at the embassy).

Somebody at the embassy told me that it's not necessary to go to the city hall. I could immediately go to foreign affairs in Bangkok with the original birth certificate and get legalized copies there. She said that besides legalizing signatures, foreign affairs can also make legalized copies.

Can somebody confirm this?

I wouldn't like to loose 1 day traveling up and down to Bangkok.

When I married with my Thai wife I had to make legalized copies of our Thai marriage certificate at the city hall in Thailand and then go to the ministry of foreign affairs in BKK again to get them legalized again (legalization of the signature).

Now my child was just born (in Thailand) and I need legalized copies of the birth certificate (for use at the embassy).

Somebody at the embassy told me that it's not necessary to go to the city hall. I could immediately go to foreign affairs in Bangkok with the original birth certificate and get legalized copies there. She said that besides legalizing signatures, foreign affairs can also make legalized copies.

Can somebody confirm this?

I wouldn't like to loose 1 day traveling up and down to Bangkok.

At first Kongratulation to Mother and Father

my Son born last year you dont have to go to the Foreign Affair you Child is Thai you dont have to legalized him in Thailand. Wat you need for the Embassy is Birthcertivicat in Thai and Translation in your Language.

My embassy told me the step were as follows:

- get certified true copies of the original birth certificate at foreign affairs

- get a translation by a recognized translation office

- get the certified true copy and the translation legalized by the embassy

But with the birth certificate (6 years ago) of my Thai wife I did like this:

- get certified true copies at the city hall (amphur)

- get the certified true copy legalized by the ministry of foreign affairs

- get a translation by a recognized translation office

- get the certified true copy and the translation legalized by the embassy

So, now there seems to be 1 step less. And I just want to sure that foreign affairs can make certified copies.

So, I don't need to travel back and go to the city hall to get the certified copies.

• 9 months later...

Are there any agencies that are able to do the translation-legalisation at MFA-legalisation at Embassy while my Thai wife and I are in Europe?

We're gonna move to my home country and my Thai wife might need a recent, less than 6 months old, legalised and translated birth certificate several times. It'll be too expensive for the whole family to go to Thailand each time for just a couple of stamps. It's not possible to register her birth certificate in The Netherlands.

You can have the birth certificate registered in the Netherlands at the city hall in The Hague:

For procedure and required documents look here: http://www.denhaag.nl/smartsite.html?id=21373

Foreign birth certificates can only be registered there.

You will need to have the Birth Cetificate legalised. Look for the procedure here: http://www.netherlandsembassy.in.th/consul..._in/legalisatie

Translation of the document can be done to English only. You can have that done in at a translation agency oppoite the Dutch embassy or opposite the Thai consulair affairs department. You can not have the document legalised in the Netherlands by the Thai embassy!

Mario and Ubonjoe, the birth certificate is my Thai wife's. She's got the Thai nationality only and therefore her birth certificate can not be registered in The Hague, because registering there only applies to Dutch citizens or refugees. In case of our marriage certificate we had it registered at The Hague, because I'm of Dutch nationality.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear, but I meant in the case when we're not in Thailand and we need my Thai wife's birth certificate translated and legalised by MFA and Dutch Embassy in Bangkok. Can it be done by an agency in Bangkok, through EMS, so that we don't have to go there ourselves?

I know the procedure of doing it ourselves, that's just a matter of handing in the birth certificate and translation at MFA first and then at the Dutch Embassy. At the moment we're still in Thailand, but I want to know what to do in the future when the current birth certificate has expired and we're in The Netherlands. Birth certificates won't be accepted by government institutions when they're more than 6 months old.

Most reputable translation services can do the translation and get the MFA done for you. I am sure if you made some type of arrangement with them it could be done by EMS. The Dutch embassy could be where the problem is in doing it that way. The other problem might be paying for the service.

I don't understand how a birth certificate could only be good for 6 months.

There's some discussion going on on Dutch foreign partner forums regarding the length of validity of already legalised documents. Some write the same as you, Ubonjoe, that they can't imagine a birth certificate only to be valid for a mere 6 months.

It's unfortunately the way a lot of municipalities work and doesn't make sense to me either. It seems that the 6 months concern the validity of the legalisation stamps. In case of a Apostille-stamp the validity will be for good, but since Thailand is not a member of the Apostille-treaty, we have to make do with only legalisation.

Perhaps it's possible to authorise a translation service with a power of attorney to have the document legalised at the embassy as well. Someone experience with this? I can't find any details on how to do that.

What if a relative of my wife goes to the embassy in Bangkok? Does he/she need to show any evidence regarding his/her relationship to my wife?

Edited by hyls

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Indeed you can not have your Thai wife's BC registered.

I have to agree that a legalised document is only valid for a limited period. However in the case of a birth certificate I'm not sure, as the information on it is not subject to change.

I believe you can have the documents certified by EMS through a translation agency. Contact the one across the Dutch embassy. The main problem will be if they need your wife's passport or not.

I think you need to get the some answers from the embassy on power of attorney and etc. A family member could get the translation and MFA handled.

What I don't really understand is the birth certificate requirement. In most countries you don't need it if you have a passport to verify your age and citizensip. I can't remember the last time that I needed one or even had a copy handy.

…Perhaps it's possible to authorise a translation service with a power of attorney to have the document legalised at the embassy as well. Someone experience with this? I can't find any details on how to do that.

What if a relative of my wife goes to the embassy in Bangkok? Does he/she need to show any evidence regarding his/her relationship to my wife?

“Legalisation” of a translation of your wife’s birth certificate does not require the presence of your wife, nor a power of attorney. “Legalisation” means that the MFA will certify the authenticity of the translator’s signature. Nothing more and nothing less.

--

Maestro