Need A Witness To My Signature On Oficial Uk Doc

lotus eater

I need an appropriate witness to my signature of a probate form (to be sent back to the Revenue) which is being couriered to me by solicitors in London. I will be in Chiang Mai with the form/doc and would like to locate a lawyer who can do this quickly and without a fuss - all he needs to do is watch me sign, sign below as witness and write his name and address etc beside his signature.

Would be enormously grateful if anyone would recommend a name/address/phone no of someone who would fit the bill. I'm hoping it can be quick and inexpensive (though I'm not going to argue over the cost, unles it's absurd). Alternatively was wondering if I can just walk into the British Consulate and ask ofr this service. Again I'd be grateful for any experience of this sort there.

Am hoping to do this and courier the papers back on Monday or as soon as possible thereafter.

Many thanks in advance.

On something that is obviously important, I wouldn't bother looking any further than the British Consulate. Quite often in the fine print they list people that are suitable to witness your signature, and a "Notary Public" is usually acceptable. I think the British Consulate charges about 1800 baht for witnessing a signature, but considering the importance...........

Thanks for the responses.

On thinking about it, it seems prudent to use the Consulate as witness. The 1800 baht cost is unreasonably high given the simplicity of the task; but from my point of view a rejection by the Revenue leading to the need to redo it - including repeat couriering etc - would lead to much higher costs.

Normally if you need a signature witnessed for the UK you should try to get a UK national preferably with a qualification/profession.

If you can't you can use anyone of 'suitable standing'.

If it is important and you are worried and there is lots of money involved and nearby use the Consulate!

Normally if you need a signature witnessed for the UK you should try to get a UK national preferably with a qualification/profession.

If you can't you can use anyone of 'suitable standing'.

If it is important and you are worried and there is lots of money involved and nearby use the Consulate!

I think you're quite right about the eligibility criteria for a witness.

However (i) I could check with the solicitors about witness's eligibility criteria, but I can't pin down anyone who's a UK national with a profession (I'm a fairly new and socially unconnected resident of Chaing Rai); and unless I knew the person well I wouldn't want to ask for the favour; (ii) though the money involved is not that much, and anyway it wouldn't be lost, I absolutely don't want to have to redo and resend the docs - the logistics and delays already, with the hopeless london solicitor, have been horrendous and lengthy; (iii) so unless you or anyone else is to be kind enough to volunteer and can put a suitable profession and address after his name.......I'll just resign myself to paying the consulate's charges - for the speed, certainty and convenience of it.

A suitably qualified tv member has kindly agreed to witness my signature for most of the docs.

But my solicitor says that one document needs a local equivalent of a 'commissioner of oaths' - someone qualified to administer an oath. I was wondering if someone could throw any light on this - in Chiangmai. (Or a UK solicitor - perhaps one is on a visit in CM??)

I am sending an email to the Consulate in case they know one, but cannot be certain they'll be able to help.