Can You Sing Your Country's National Anthem, Word For Word?

Jingthing

Can you sing your country's national anthem, word for word?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as National Anthems & Religion start to be spouted, war is soon to follow.

I detest any form of nationalism. The world is one giant piece of dirt & therefore we all share it. Who will write the first "World" anthem?

Good reply. Next someone will be suggesting we sign loyalty oaths before we enter the country.

As soon as National Anthems & Religion start to be spouted, war is soon to follow.

I detest any form of nationalism. The world is one giant piece of dirt & therefore we all share it. Who will write the first "World" anthem?

:o

You sound like you're about 13yo.

BREAKING NEWS FLASH: The music of the Thai national anthem was composed in 1932 by Professor Phra Jenduriyang and its lyrics were written in 1939 by Colonel Luang Saranuprabhandi.

The 'translated' lyrics are here;

"Thailand is the unity of Thai blood and body.

The whole country belongs to the Thai people,

maintaining thus far for the Thai.

All Thais intend to unite together.

Thais love peace but do not fear to fight.

They will never let anyone threaten their independence.

They will sacrifice every drop of their blood to contribute to the nation, will serve their country with pride and prestige full of victory.

Chai-yo.

Or if you prefer the thai version;

ประเทศไทยรวมเลือดเนื้อชาติเชื้อไทย

เป็นประชารัฐ ไผทของไทยทุกส่วน

อยู่ดำรงคงไว้ได้ทังมวล

ด้วยไทยล้วนหมาย รักสามัคคี

ไทยนื้รักสงบ แต่ถึงรบไม่ขลาด

เอกราชจะไม่ไห้ใครข่มขี่

สละเลือดทุกหยาดเป็นชาติพลี

เถลิงประเทศชาติไทยทวีมีชัย ชโย

I could almost recite it without knowing the words after lving here about 6 months. Then again having it drummed into our heads twice a day like it is I would imagine most foreigners who've spent any length of time here can at least "hum along". In my opinion the 8 line national anthem is quite succinct; although it's clearly a "we-b-thai" you are not kind of song.

Edited by tod-daniels

BREAKING NEWS FLASH: The music of the Thai national anthem was composed in 1932 by Professor Phra Jenduriyang and its lyrics were written in 1939 by Colonel Luang Saranuprabhandi.

The 'translated' lyrics are here;

"Thailand is the unity of Thai blood...

...their independence.

They will sacrifice every drop of their blood to contribute to the nation, will serve their country with pride and prestige full of victory.

although it's clearly a "we-b-thai" you are not kind of song.

Nationalism! YUK!!! Very disturbing! Then again, this is from a 13 year olds point of view.

• 7 months later...

I'm a Kiwi and know the first verse of ours in English and in Maori... don't get to sing it much nowadays... I know the words and can sing the King's Anthem but not the Thai national anthem. (We sing the King's one in our choir) I think it's kinda cool when you're in a small place and it totally stops when the national anthem plays - all the Thai people stand still and the tourists move on along - surreal...

SO WHAT? Another useless poll. TV needs a seperate section for polls.

Absolutely. It also needs a separate section for COMPLAINTS about polls. Those who can poll -- do, those who cannot -- kvetch.

Edited by Jingthing

Both I and my wife, who's Thai, but has lived in the UK, can sing every word of Flower Of Scotland.

Kenneth Mckellar does a great version of it.

I would NEVER sing God save the queen, the British national anthem, "Rebellious Scots to crush".

We're still not beaten, never will be.

I know all the words, but am not a Royalist so i dont and wouldnt ever sing them.

I've read the words and know the tune (UK Anthem), but the tune is quite lame compared to other nations anthems and needs a re-boot!

The US anthem sounds a lot better IMO and is probably one reason the US folk can sing it so well. It references the country and people more than the distant notion of a monarch from a by-gone age.

Edited by JimsKnight

jingthing, Do you mean "I am British...." or "I am a Brit.."If you do not know what an inhabitant of the United Kingdom (or any other country for that matter) is called then why don't you 'google' it? You are the one who started the "Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?" but in this poll, you use the word "Yank" and "Canuck". Both of these terms may be deemed 'derogatory' by some Americans and Canadians. Please explain why you chose to use these terms. I know Americans and Canadians who are offended.

As a citizen of the US I'm not offended by the term Yank or Yankee from a foriegn national. Within the US, I certainly wouldn't want to be called a yankee. I'm from the southeastern part of the US and yankee's a fighting word :o

But actually the term gringo used by illegals is a bit irritating. I don't use denograting words when I've been in their countries and talking about them.

I am an American and personally I could give a toss if someone refers to Americans as Yanks. They can call me a septic if they prefer. The only group of folks that I can think of that might get offended are some folks from the south who still want to wallow in the sorrow of having lost the right to own slaves – and I could give a toss about offending them by calling them Yanks.

Or groups of folks from the North central, South west, Plains states, West Coast, Alaska or Hawaii. The term Yank or Yankee refers to New Englanders (North east coast) and is generally used as a derogatory term even within some parts of the US. BTW I'm not from a slave state and no one in my family ever owned slaves, so save your bigotry for someone else.

That said, I think using terms like that reflects more on the user than the target, so I couldn't care less. I can sing the US national anthem and think it is stirring, but I think "America the Beautiful" would be a better anthem.

Did not vote because Belgium is not included in your poll!

But yes I can, and in two of our three national languages; as the son of a diplomat, I had to listen to "La Brabanconne" so often...

But no, I would not... Decades ago, on an exchange student program in USA, teachers asked me to sing the Belgian anthem and I sang "La Danse des Canards" (Ducks'dance!); I think still now, in that Boston High School, they believe it is!

Also, I can confirm "tartempion" post, our ex-prime minister was singing "La Marseille", instead of ours; and that happened on a 21st of July, which is our national day!!!

Belgian jokes do not exist, only true facts...

I went round the world watching the England football team from 1995-2002 ( I know what your all thinking now about me), so i know the national anthem very well and sing it with passion. But i totally agree with bigtimeali, we should have Land of Hope and Glory as the English national anthem. Then just use God Save The Queen for British Events such as the olympics.

Just saw a cute Thai move Handle with Care where the lead character is forced to sing the Thai national anthem (nice song) word for word to prove he isn't an illegal immigrant (he had lost his ID). He could sing it. Got me thinking about my USA national anthem. I most certainly cannot either sing it or recite the words to save my life, even though I grew up only a few hours from the site of the battle the song is about. I get as far as OH SAY CAN YOU SEE (is that right?). Of course, the US national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing, even for pro singers.

How about you? Can you sing and recite your national song?

BTW, the movie features a really nasty stereotypical evil American farang character, he trades in illegal Buddha heads, naturally, just like most of us. I guess the target audience was the TRT, PPP crowd, but I liked the movie anyway.

BTW: Sorry, there isn't space in the polling form for all nationalities, obviously.

Yeah great!! be better off if they taught them to drive, still we know which is more important, mind numbing learning of the played daily national anthem or staying alive. Didnt vote.

jingthing, Do you mean "I am British...." or "I am a Brit.."If you do not know what an inhabitant of the United Kingdom (or any other country for that matter) is called then why don't you 'google' it? You are the one who started the "Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?" but in this poll, you use the word "Yank" and "Canuck". Both of these terms may be deemed 'derogatory' by some Americans and Canadians. Please explain why you chose to use these terms. I know Americans and Canadians who are offended.

As a citizen of the US I'm not offended by the term Yank or Yankee from a foriegn national. Within the US, I certainly wouldn't want to be called a yankee. I'm from the southeastern part of the US and yankee's a fighting word :D

But actually the term gringo used by illegals is a bit irritating. I don't use denograting words when I've been in their countries and talking about them.

yep! them greasers, spics and wetbacks are quite irritating :o

Gringoness is not dependent a place, its a state of mind (Naam's got it bad). BTW, the US did steal the Southwest from Mexico, La Raza has a point. Slowly Latinos are taking back their land the old fashioned way. Big families.

Edited by Jingthing