Business Registration Vs Employment:

Hi ......and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I am confused!

Brief story:

I have a job offer.

I have my "B" visa in place.

The company that wish to use my services wish me to set up a company and then issue me with a work permit once the company has been set up.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of this?

Would it be beneficial to me to just be "employed" ... there are a lot of opportunitys for me here in Business and it is something that I was thinking about but the registration requires capital I think.... and I am not in a position to stump this up at the moment.

Also there is the requirement of the 7 directors.... or can I set up a partnership with my wife (Thai)

Hmmmmmm can anyone advise?

I think the issue of the company arose after a disuussion about tax.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike.

At a guess it is so they do not have to pay severance pay if they want to get rid of you or give notice. It also moves the onus of payment of personal tax on to your company, you will have to pay tax for the work permit.

The other issue you need to clarify is the work permit, the company using your services or rather those of your company does not issue the work permit, it is issued by the labor dept, they may sponsor it but as a sub-contractor you may have problems here. I believe your company may be able to sponsor the work permit based on a contract, I would also look to get other clients so in the event the original company decides you are no longer necessary you are not in immigration limbo.

If you set up the company with your wife you will have less problems, but the this all depends on the strength of your relationship with your wife.

As with all of these things paying for professional advice is often money well spent, most of the posters here are not professionals in this area, although many are very knowledgeable.

Others here are far more knowledgeable than I am, hopefully they will chime in.

Good luck.

At a guess it is so they do not have to pay severance pay if they want to get rid of you or give notice. It also moves the onus of payment of personal tax on to your company, you will have to pay tax for the work permit.

The other issue you need to clarify is the work permit, the company using your services or rather those of your company does not issue the work permit, it is issued by the labor dept, they may sponsor it but as a sub-contractor you may have problems here. I believe your company may be able to sponsor the work permit based on a contract, I would also look to get other clients so in the event the original company decides you are no longer necessary you are not in immigration limbo.

If you set up the company with your wife you will have less problems, but the this all depends on the strength of your relationship with your wife.

As with all of these things paying for professional advice is often money well spent, most of the posters here are not professionals in this area, although many are very knowledgeable.

Others here are far more knowledgeable than I am, hopefully they will chime in.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply ......my relationship with my wife is strong (weve all heard that before) and she would be a major shareholder.

I will seek advice on this matter but just wanted to clear my mind and get an outline of how to proceed.

Thank you again for your reply... nice of you to take the time!

Sounds to me like they are trying to offload the entire headache of work permit qualifications, tax responsibility, etc onto you.. The whole 'you form a company and invoice us' line..

Would have to be a VERY high paying gig to make it interesting IMO.