Safety Standards On Thai Helmets-->are There Any?!?!

submaniac

I am going to be bringing in a U.S., DOT certified helmet from the states, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the safety standards that Thai helmets have to meet. I don't see any sticker n my Thai made helmet. No certification, no nothing. I bought it at Tesco for 350 baht, and was just temporary until I could bring in a U.S. helmet. However, if Thailand does have some safety standard, and it is comparable to U.S. standards, I won't bother. But I do not even know if thailand has any helmet safety standards. Frankly it looks like styrofoam with a plastic outer cover. Any one know? Thanks.

you can buy top of the range helmets ,imported , but the cheap helmets are very bad i had a crash (40km) last year and the plastic vizier just split and if i had not been wearing glasses it would have took my eye out , these helmets are just cheap and used to put on when the cops are about to save being fined, also if you leave them lying around to long the red ants like them as a nest , (riding down the road scratching away did my head in)

Hmm not belief that I'm going to trust my life to 350 Baht, I bought my Shoei X-Spirit, last time I was in Japan for about an equal of 24,500 Baht. But then I saw last month identical Shoei X-Spirit helmets in Vietnam for something what was equal to 300 to 400 Baht. Bought two, was not able to resist.

Don't worry I know the Vietnam helmets are fake... big time fake... still they look good on the closet in my office...

I don't think there is any standards as I wouldn't even piss in most of the cheapie open face ones.

The INDEX full face for a 1000 baht is what I use, I don't think they are too bad for around town. The little bike shop on the corner half way down south pattaya road has a good selection.

I've also got a ARAI for 22,000 baht so i am reluctant to strap that on the bike when I go into Carrefour :o

The INDEX full face for a 1000 baht is what I use, I don't think they are too bad for around town....

I actually was going to get the full face Index helmet. They had them at Tesco for 890 baht or so. But when I tried it on, there were two pieces of hard styrofoam or something, poking me in both sides of my head. I tried different helmets, different sizes, but they all had the foam poking me in the head, and it hurt. So I got the cheapie open face one cause it didn't poke me, and was just so I didn't get a ticket from the cops.

Would love to use Arai or Shoei, and think that safety equipment you shouldn't skimp on. But I have a feeling if I left either of those on my bikes, it won't be there when I come back. I was just gonna bring in my old, cheap Bieffe. Not a bad helmet, comfortable, and has DOT certificate.

The INDEX full face for a 1000 baht is what I use, I don't think they are too bad for around town....

I actually was going to get the full face Index helmet. They had them at Tesco for 890 baht or so. But when I tried it on, there were two pieces of hard styrofoam or something, poking me in both sides of my head. I tried different helmets, different sizes, but they all had the foam poking me in the head, and it hurt. So I got the cheapie open face one cause it didn't poke me, and was just so I didn't get a ticket from the cops.

Would love to use Arai or Shoei, and think that safety equipment you shouldn't skimp on. But I have a feeling if I left either of those on my bikes, it won't be there when I come back. I was just gonna bring in my old, cheap Bieffe. Not a bad helmet, comfortable, and has DOT certificate.

I don't think you can even compare an 890B Index helmet with a 20,000B Arai. I bought an Arai Profile in Singapore for 12,650B, which ain't bad, I also have a Roof Boxer which looks good but is utter crap. I had a bad accident 17 years ago wearing an Arai Giga, if I had been wearing an Index helmet I would be dead. If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.

To be honest, I never had the dosh to shell out that much for an Arai or Shoei. I have had a Bell, a DOT full face Nolan with the swing up chin bar, etc. The usual helmet crash tests often show that anything with DOT or European crash test label is probably good enough. The Nolans I have bought here are not certified, but look really strong for 1,500 baht.

I have spoken with Index about exporting their helmets, they are an interesting company.

Their helmets, and all Thai helmets for that matter, meet absolutely no standards anywhere in the world. There are no standards in Thailand and no way to test to other standards. If Thai helmets could be tested, they would not pass either US or EU testing.

Helmets are an interesting subject, particularly in regard to certification and safety parameters. EU and US each test for different circumstances, and having a DOT cert does not mean that the helmet can get an EU cert and vice versa. DOT requires more padding and less shell strength, EU certs the opposite.

Usually the high end Arai. Shoei, Bell and such do meet both standard by incorporating carbon fiber and high tech padding materials in their helmets, thats why they cost so much.

There is a lot of argument in the helmet manufacturing and rider groups. The statistics are really varied and do not show any clear patterns. Does temple protection mean more accidents because of restricted peripheral vision? Do heavier helmets cause more neck injuries? Despite the massive research done in this field, the results are highly varied and most often support the funding source assertions. There is even an argument that helmets cause more injuries than they prevent.

Here is what experience teaches me. Old timers wear good helmets. It seems like the cheap helmet crowd dont make it to old age on motorcycles. When the face comes into contact with anything, the face almost always loses. I would choose a helmet, gloves and shoes very carefully.

I have spoken with Index about exporting their helmets, they are an interesting company.

Their helmets, and all Thai helmets for that matter, meet absolutely no standards anywhere in the world. There are no standards in Thailand and no way to test to other standards. If Thai helmets could be tested, they would not pass either US or EU testing.

Thanks for the info xbusman. Really does put great insight into everything, but also scares the crap out of me. So Thai helmets do not meet any country's safety standards, and Thailand has no safety standard? Nice. It makes no sense to have helmet laws yet, no standards as to what helmet I have to wear. So I could take a bucket, cut two eyeholes and put it on my head. It would meet Thai safety standards as well as anything else.

As for the Shoei or Arai, think they are great helmets...but at 20,000 baht, or 12,000 baht kind of hard to justify considering that the motorcycle itself was 12,000. I guess I just will have to stick to the Bieffe.

Hi. I´m not sure where xbusman is getting his information, but there are standards for motorcycle helmets here in Thailand. I got an Avex helmet, which is a Thai brand. Here is their website.

Avex helmets

and it shows that their helmets meet the Thailand Industrial Standards. I just took a look at my helmet, and it has the sticker on it which says that this product is certified by the Thai Industrial Standard Institute, and gives the certification number as TIS 369-2539. Doing a quick search for the Thai Standards, I got as far as getting a list.

List of TISI Standards

Copying and pasting the specific number off of my helmet, it shows

515. TIS 369-2539 (1996)

Protective helmets for vehicle users

Compulsory Standard (Effective Date 28 February 1997)

This is as far as I have just gotten. Now I really can´t say how this Thai standard would compare to the DOT standards or the Snell standards, but you may find this a very interesting read.

Motorcycle

Helmet Design, Blowing the lid off

I found this article while doing my own research on what helmet to buy while riding in Thailand. I finally decided on the Avex, but the next time I am in the US I will probably buy another one there and bring it back with me.

It´s always good to see someone who wants to protect his head. And I will say that some of the helmets I have seen here in Thailand I don´t think would protect me just turning over and rolling off of the bed.

Basically you've got to weigh up what your using the helmet for.

http://www.ontheroadthailand.com/Thingstocarry.htm

Basically a lightweight helmet is fine for pootling about patong beach etc at low speeds but once on the open road at high speeds its hardly adequate.

Conversely, a full-on imported shoei is next to useless if all your using it for is low speed riding in an innercity.

Often the index brand meets the middle-ground, its affordable for both expats and quite a few thais who value their heads.

It's not perfect but its not an eggshell helmet either :o

The TISI standards have a lot more to do with sizing standards and construction then actual usage. The simple impact test they administer is more to determine that the materials are not flawed then a truck running over the helmet. TISI has some pretty sophisticated testing, I spend a lot of time there, but their standards are generally written to keep imports out of Thailand and protect local businesses. The helmet standards are one such category.

I get my information from having worked hard to get a Thai manufacturer to supply helmets for use in the US. They cannot come close to passing any real standards and are quite happy to pawn off their junk on the local population. That was a few years ago at 41 baht to the dollar. Now, they have no chance of competing with the huge amount of chinese suppliers that are DOT certified. The US and EU certification process is very expensive, if I remember correctly somewhere around 25K to get a single model certified.

As stated before, a helmet is something I would take particular care in selecting.

I would rate the avex and index helmets about the same, although the index seems to be a bit more popular. I got the avex because it fit me. I have a medium head, but it is almost impossible to find anything other than a large in any store. The fit is also very important, so make sure the helmet is the right size for you.

submaniac,

Regardless of what some posters may think of them, there are in fact safety standards on Thai helmets. So the answer to your original question is ¨yes¨. If you are interested in the actual text of these standards, as I am, I have found it on the TIS site and have download the pdf file for my own information.

It is in Thai, but I am interested enough to see if I can find someone who can help me translate it and see how these standards compare with the DOT standards.

Safe and happy riding.

higgy

TIS_369_2539m.pdf

There used to be a motorbike taxi driver on Thong Lor who used to wear a "comedy" old fashioned British police hemlet, pretty funny :o

But it just goes to show that as long as you have some sort of head gear on, even as a token effort, you are OK in the eyes of the law. Maybe not so in an accident...

Interesting thread. I've been doing the rounds of motorcycle shops in BKK and following discussions on this board. I'm living in Vientiane, Laos, but have come here seeking motorcycle gear. There are a couple of options for decent motorcycle helmets in VTE but too expensive and I don't think carbon fibre is neccessay. Alas most of the well known motorcycle shops in BKK only stock top of the range helmets, which frankly I don't think are necessary. Almost no shops stock polycarbonate helmets from reputable international brands, and as a result it's difficult to find cheap decent helmets in Bangkok, however, I have been coming across this Real Helmet brand that seem to be better than the Index and Avex Thai brands. Apparently Real is also Thai, but someone was trying to tell me today that they export to US??. The helmets have a DOT sticker on the back and the website claims they are DOT certified. Wondering if anyone on this board has come across them, and if so what your opinions are.

http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?lang=en

Interestingly the English language website has prices in at around $350, while the Thai site has 1450 Baht! Also having a lot of trouble trying to find a range of sizes for Avex and the real helmet brands. Anyone know of shops that have a large stock pile of Avex or Real. Perhaps I should be looking in Tesco instead?

Edited by Bigbaka

Those helmets are very interesting, I wonder where I can buy one.

I ended up getting a motorcross Real Helmet from Top Gun on Rama IV just south of Ekkamai BTS station. Only 1990 Baht. They also had a number of other full face Real Helmets there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Real helmets seem to be DOT approved and are selling on the internet in $US,average about $350 i bought one recently for 1,200 baht and feels quite comfortable, the liners clip in which come in 3-4 size ranges S-M-L-XL which is great as up to now having a pin head made it impossable for me to get a helmet that fits, but the S insert fits real snug and tight, you can also get replacement inserts for about 300 baht when the old ones get a bit tired or start to get on the nose, i guess you could clip them out and get them a clean as well. It seems that Index copy the Shoei helmets and Real copy the Arai, so by going to your local sticker shop and getting some Arai stickers, you can make your Real helmet look real, same applies to Index helmets and Shoei stickers. Summing up, if Real helmets are DOT approved they should be the safest helmets on the Thai market, sadly though those expensive SHARK helmets are manufactured in Thailand, but can only be sold here if they are imported, i have heard though that occasionally the Shark factory sell off seconds or helmets that have passed thier manufacturing date (this date only applies for people that race as the date is checked before competition). Sorry guys but i dont intend on crash testing my Real helmet to actually see how good it is but the better fit makes me feel a little safer.

I ended up getting a motorcross Real Helmet from Top Gun on Rama IV just south of Ekkamai BTS station. Only 1990 Baht. They also had a number of other full face Real Helmets there as well.

I got a Safetymet STM helmet there for around 1400 baht. Now I am on the lookout for a helmet for my wife. The problem is that in Thailand they seeme to believe that one size fits all, and since am not in Bangkok, there is not much to choose from. All the helmets we have looked at have been to big for her tiny head. So for now she is hanging on with her padded sald bowl, attached to her pretty head with some plastic shoe strings...

Anyway that Safetymet helmets vizir is marked: Not warranted shatter proof, and I could not find a clear visir for it. So driving after dark is a no go...and to many insects flying about to drive with the visir up....

I got a Safetymet STM helmet there for around 1400 baht. Now I am on the lookout for a helmet for my wife. The problem is that in Thailand they seeme to believe that one size fits all, and since am not in Bangkok, there is not much to choose from. All the helmets we have looked at have been to big for her tiny head. So for now she is hanging on with her padded sald bowl, attached to her pretty head with some plastic shoe strings...

Anyway that Safetymet helmets vizir is marked: Not warranted shatter proof, and I could not find a clear visir for it. So driving after dark is a no go...and to many insects flying about to drive with the visir up....

My Shoei X4II has a visor that says "Not warranted shatterproof" as well.

I just got a helmet made by Real, it appears to be of a decent quality and is certainly better than any other Thai helmets I have seen. Very comfy and you can get them in any size unlike the shops which stock Index helmets. It also appears to be DOT approved.

I brought my lid in UK, and it came to Thailand with me many moons ago (about time I replaced it actualy), when ever I ride my bike to Tesco and walk inside my wife coments on why I insist on carrying the lid with me, I simply reply "would you leave 20,000BHT laying on your bike"

I have read a report about different standards and types of crash helmets, it makes very interesting reading. I will try and find a link to it.

I don't think there is any standards as I wouldn't even piss in most of the cheapie open face ones.

The INDEX full face for a 1000 baht is what I use, I don't think they are too bad for around town. The little bike shop on the corner half way down south pattaya road has a good selection.

I've also got a ARAI for 22,000 baht so i am reluctant to strap that on the bike when I go into Carrefour :o

The most comfortable helmet I ever had was an Arthur Fulmer. A good helmet should be very comfortable to provide the best protection. I never could wear a full face helmet but agree that they provide the best protection. Maybe I could have gotten used to one, but I felt my hearing and visibility suffered too much.

Neither my hearing nor my side visibility are even close to normal, but I try to always wear a full-face helmet. I figure it may some day same me a million baht in in face-jaw surgery. I have gotten some very impressive scratches on the lower jaw area, and on the faceshields.

How you do the best fiting when you buy a new helmet! can anybody give me advice?

I buy a arai half face helmet last saturday! and I think it's a little bit to big.

Before I buy this helmet I had a index half face helmet in my hands and in my opinion it's protect you like you weare nothing!!!!! This is so much better.

My wife don't like me to have a motercycle at all but she say iff you do buy at least a good helmet.

Regards Peter

When buying any helmet, try it on in the store for several minutes. It should be snug but not tight. Wait and see if there are hot spots, painful areas boring into your skull (too small). Usually, it should not fit loosely. My jaw-swivelling Nolan has had the styrofoam shrink over the years, and is now too 'big' for me.

Peter, sorry to hear you bought an Arai and then it was too big. Not much you can do, except go back and buy the cheaper Index now, or a better fitting Arai.