Baby Boy Coming Soon! Help

dman961

Hello everyone. :D

Me and dwoman have a little boy on the way, our first, due in May... ' :D '

We are living in Ubon where i have heard mixed reports on doctors and hospitals with prices for delivery ranging from 70,000bht in the general hospital to 35,000bht in Ubon rhak hospital. We are now looking at the army hospital in Warin chap just over the river cos i have been told the doctors and rooms are the better, and they don´t over charge.

I've also been told that it is better to get married before the baby is born. It makes it easier to get passports and visas in the future. We plan on doing this when i get back. I have downloaded the 'affirmation of freedom to marry' document from the british embassy in bkk where i have to take it on my return to thai. I think it takes 24 hours to process so will have to spend the night in bkk, oh dear. Once i have that i think i can marry in Ubon. Going to have a big party later in the year, oct-nov.

After the baby is born he will get a thai birth cert. I get that translated to english, then take both to the british embassy in bkk with my birth cert. passport and marrage cert. to get the little fella a british passport.

Does this sound right? Anything more i should know? :o Oh yeh, taking care of mother and baby!! :D

You don't have to get married and after 2006 there is no problem getting British pasports as long as you are named as the father on the birth certificate. I was in this situation last year.

To get the baby a passport you'll need your long birth certificate which you can order online and they will deliver here. About £27 for one copy I think. I got two for £33 or so. That was priority service.

As for a hospital package, well they do vary a lot. Your partner should have found a doctor she is happy with by now but if not, make that a high priority. I suggest having a Thai email or call the hospitals to get their prices. Also remember that doctors often have clinics on the side and their prices through the clinic can be much cheaper.

Get all package priecs in writing beforehand.

Congratulations by the way. Sort the hospital out now and then relax. Get married later if you want to. No pressure to do so now.

Thanx

I was only led to believe it was better to be married first, not necessary. That this would bring down the cost and hassle of getting the passport and future visas.

She has been to a clinic but the doctor works from the most expensive hospital (70,000bht).

She's since been to see a lady doctor who works at the army hospital. Will find out more info on that tonight.

Good idea tho, to get the full price in writing before hand.

Yeah, 70k is a "hello farang" price.

Set up a thai email account and have them write as a thai male enquiring. Then take the evidence. Send her alone for 5 minutes (you are delayed) if she can play the game. "Where father from ?". Udon she says - you could be working there !

I believe the UK Embassy holds the paper overnight and once you obtain it then has to be translated and registered with the MFA which, without extra payment, is also overnight or more I believe. There are services that can get things done faster (have agreement for later filing of this form at specific Bangkok District Offices but that probably would not be good for the wife at this point).

That hospital price seems very high - here in Bangkok a major hospital near me targeted to foreigners (Vejhanji) charges 40k for 2 nights normal delivery and 60-65k for 3 night stay Caesarian and an almost automatic 10% off (card for 400 baht).

Do i have to get it translated in Bankok or can i get it done in Ubon? Is there somewhere close to the British embassy that can do it? Will more bahts get it done the same day?

Two nights in bkk alone, dangerous. Three nights, life threatening. :o

• 2 weeks later...

you can speed up the process for marrige in one day, there will be thai men and women awaiting your walk upto the embassy. they will say you can get it all done today and it can be done! the total price really depends on how much you want to get married or wait. but a reasonable cost for a two hour turnaround is 5500 badt all in, all costs even transport to the registrar to then get married are seen to.

you will be given explanation of what to do by your new found thai friend, remember he wants the money and you dont pay until you are married! so he will make sure it goes to plan and help as much as possible. you will get a pink folder with your certificate in thai (they will also do a translation for the cost) and tht is it.

we relly did it last minute and even surprised fmily with getting married that day, which means that are witness was the man who we paid but he made the day stand out, and a pleasure. though you might want a relative to take some pics which are also imortant for your visa's in the future!!!!!!!!!

remember that waiting is always cheaper generally but i am legally married and we have a child on the way in nov.

this brings me to hospitals - if i was in chiangmai which i frequent to, then if i was thai(and obviously a lady) and wanted a c-section for the best hospital in thaialnd it would cost 65,000 badt for 7 days stay all inc. or for 3 days 55,000 this is not a farang price but a reaonable price for a very good hospitl to have a child in. obviously in bangkok the price is cheaper and can rnge from 30,000 badt up to the same as above. follow as others have said and find out which is the most onvenient to you, and best for your baby. i have heard people paying alot and getting terrible service as to people paying alot less nd recieving top notch service. it will be down to you and your partner to look around. though for me if it cost 200,000 and i was happy with the doctor and hospital i would make sure i had the money! money when paying what you believe to reasonble is insignificant to safe delivery. although none can guarantee, when you hve found the right hospital, i think you will know.

good luck.

If the army hospital is any where near as good as queen siriket navy hospital,at utapao,i'd go there,they only charged 20,000 for a c section and that was with the baby [slight prob]in intensive care 7days,,,army or navy very professional,

just got the thai passport for my boy ,thai farang,the mrs did the paper work,but when it came to pick up of pass/p they asked for marrige cert,and bith.c etc,mrs said we had to take them,

i had to go with her to show passport ,take on the spot photo and electronic finger print,,,and when getting farang passport,or citizenship they like to see u married but not nessasary.anything goses wrong wrong in the future u have a leg to stand on.

cat

Hi, me and my girlfriend have a child on the way due in november.

We try to decide if to have the baby in the UK or in Thailand,

What would be, if any, reasons for and against having the child in either country?

Vejthani Hospital is where me and the Mrs. are planning on having our child. We have been using their ART clinic and are quite satisfied with the care. They are a newer international hospital. Natural 40,000, C-Section 60,000. Their prices quoted on their website are all inclusive. I have found that they overestimate of the cost in the price list on the website. E.G. IVF listed at 200,000 but when all is said and done it has run us 120,000-160,000. They also have a NICU. I have found them to be as good as Bumrungrad International in the healthcare side of things, if not better. It's not as pretty and fancy as BI, but that's not what really counts.

Hi, me and my girlfriend have a child on the way due in november.

We try to decide if to have the baby in the UK or in Thailand,

What would be, if any, reasons for and against having the child in either country?

If your girl is thai,she will probaly want it in thailand ,to be near her family,up to you and her if you want it in the city or the bush.

she is the one who needs to be kepted unstressed.as u see in the other posts plenty of advice on hospitals,,

either way u will have to get citerzenship for both countrys and passports,l,,,,egally it is better to be married here before the baby is born, if something goes wrong later....UK if like OZ no prob..

cat