General Discussion

Ping

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently threw c7,000 (yes, 7,000) novels into a skip bound for the tip. They had been collected by my mother over the course of the past fifty + years and a large percentage were in pristine (as new) condition and were by popular authors (Ngaio Marsh, Hammond Innes, PG Wodehouse, Alistair MacLean, Dick Francis, etc, etc). The local book exchange wasn't interested and I was not going to go to the hassle of trying to flog them through classifieds. I had given a thought to getting them shipped to HKT, given that secondhand English language books are (or they certainly used to be) overpriced in HKT. Again, it wasn't worth the bother. Pity.

Another question.

The thais dont everyday wear those yellow or pink shirts now.

It seems like they designate Mondays and maybe another weekday to wear those shirts.

Can I ask where to find the schedule to wear what colours on those days?

Sunday - Red

Monday - Yellow

Tuesday - Pink

Wednesday - Green

Thursday - Orange

Friday - Blue

Saturday - Violet

Another question.

The thais dont everyday wear those yellow or pink shirts now.

It seems like they designate Mondays and maybe another weekday to wear those shirts.

Can I ask where to find the schedule to wear what colours on those days?

Sunday - Red

Monday - Yellow

Tuesday - Pink

Wednesday - Green

Thursday - Orange

Friday - Blue

Saturday - Violet

Ta for that, Ping, always bin gunna Google it, but neva made it

Would you really wear a different colour every day?

I wear my yellow one any day, not a fashion slave or a custom slave.

Shirts of all hues seen every day, some faded and almost white.

VK, If you look specifically for it, you will see that a small but noticeable proportion of Thais follow the code (most don't), which dates back to the times of the ancient kingdom of Ayutthaya. The code is in the colour, and has a specific meaning - nothing to do with insignia/crests. For example, on Mondays you will see quite a few folk (men and women, but more so women) wearing yellow shirts, but few of them wear the ones that actually have the crests. Of course, the unfortunate politicisation of yellow (also worn in respect to the King) and the political implications of red may have some impact on their relevant days. Perhaps it's fortunate that the red shirts (signifying respect, wisdom, freedom and respect for family) didn't select blue as their colour (which, as with yellow, has its own meaning but is also worn in respect for the Queen).

The insignias are related to the King (on the yellow shirts), but there is a variety of distinctions in the designs and some also combine with other symbols for luck, such as elephants. The colour associated with the day is just the colour itself - a plain yellow garment, but some Thais wear the ones with the symbols on as well on Mondaysl, in respect for the King.

Did you notice that the poll for the annual BBQ seems to be favouring a family event this year? So it seems that you won't be missing anything (I probably won't bother myself). Perhaps we can organise a wee p1ss-up when you get here. I understand Bags is coming over as well, so it will be nice to meet a few of the regulars, such as him and Leung Ken (who I'd hoped to catch-up with last year, but it didn't happen). You may want to put some feelers out to organise it a couple of weeks before you get here (though I doubt Ken would be prepared to travel down to Chalong)?

(If you're reading this Bags), when are you back over? Last year you were saying June - evidently not now the case - but then you said later in the year. Have you got an approximate date in mind?

(If you're reading this Bags), when are you back over? Last year you were saying June - evidently not now the case - but then you said later in the year. Have you got an approximate date in mind?

See post #465. :D

My next travel is dependent on some family matters so a bit up in the air. My TGF is here in Perth for the next few months (6m visa) so June was out.

Are you there permanently now Ping, or still in the process?

Wow! Just noticed Sir Burr fell through the thin ice he has been treading. Didn't always get on with him, but appreciated his humour at times. :)

Awwwwwww, Ping, not nice calling a guy, "Bags", Boots be betta.

Anywayz BOOTS, lemme know in time if you are going to make it on 7th Nov.

We will hang around, no mad hurry this trip and see if we are able to have a grown ups pizz up.

Lotsa time, matey.

See post #465. :D

My next travel is dependent on some family matters so a bit up in the air. My TGF is here in Perth for the next few months (6m visa) so June was out.

Are you there permanently now Ping, or still in the process?

Wow! Just noticed Sir Burr fell through the thin ice he has been treading. Didn't always get on with him, but appreciated his humour at times. :)

Has Sir Burr been banned? I notice he has not been posting although I saw him on his motorbike yesterday.

^Yes he fell through the ice about a week ago. I haven't been able to find out why, but it's not too hard to guess. He'll be missed.

Not permanent yet Bags. Had some private business I had to attend to this year, so my six months is starting later (back in HKT in two week, Melb again in January). I'll probably be back again around May or June, with a retirement visa in my hands.

I wish.

Tho' possibly a midyear jaunt next year.

My gal's family putting pressure on her to look after their dad.

Sumfin she has been doing for 4 - 5 years.

Time for her to get a life.

We will cyas end of OCT, as mentioned b4.

I am still this horrible with understanding the thai language.

And thankfully. a friend passed me two CDs filled with CD books, so I am reading those sci fic ones at the moment. The rest of those thai self study books are all currently sitting there, not being touched while I am immersed into the sci fic world.

I may need to make another trip back to sg, since one particular document that is important to me, is missing from my papers that I bought up to Thailand last week. And the Myanmar secretary living in that home office in Singapore, are not able to locate anything for me.

And oh, I forgot to mention that my last week return to Singapore was to shave my head bald for charity.

So if you folks see a middle age asian female walking around at Tesco Lotus with a shaved head for the next month. That will be me. Wave a Hi if you can.

My gal dun post very often, rarely if ever.

Cupla posters upset her, including me......LOL

I wriggled out and now see wot's happened.

Serve me right..........LOL

Best thing I've dun in years.

• 3 weeks later...
VK, If you look specifically for it, you will see that a small but noticeable proportion of Thais follow the code (most don't), which dates back to the times of the ancient kingdom of Ayutthaya. The code is in the colour, and has a specific meaning - nothing to do with insignia/crests. For example, on Mondays you will see quite a few folk (men and women, but more so women) wearing yellow shirts, but few of them wear the ones that actually have the crests. Of course, the unfortunate politicisation of yellow (also worn in respect to the King) and the political implications of red may have some impact on their relevant days. Perhaps it's fortunate that the red shirts (signifying respect, wisdom, freedom and respect for family) didn't select blue as their colour (which, as with yellow, has its own meaning but is also worn in respect for the Queen).

I totally forgot to thank you for the information. Really rude of me.

Thank you, and sorry it was so late.

Hi Ping.

Discussions resurrected.......LOL.......will neva stay buried for long.

Question, there are times when TV appears to go down.

I have tried it in Firefox, yukkk......, and in Google's , Chrome, same, so I am unable to blame, IE,

Have you encountered this?

Has anyone else had this peoblem?

Only happens with TV.

Hi Ping.

Discussions resurrected.......LOL.......will neva stay buried for long.

Question, there are times when TV appears to go down.

I have tried it in Firefox, yukkk......, and in Google's , Chrome, same, so I am unable to blame, IE,

Have you encountered this?

Has anyone else had this peoblem?

Only happens with TV.

I use TOT here in Chalong & have never seen TV go down. Up until a month ago I used IE7 & now on IE8.

It used to happen a bit - pages not loading/posts not being saved - but not for quite a while now either in Oz or here. I had a problem with the pages centre-justifyting in IE, but fixed ity with a clearing of the cache and cookies. No problems at all, really.

I just took a trip to look at Naithon Beach.

The seas there looked wild and fearsome, red flags flying and not a tourist to be seen anywhere along the front, sun was shining and all the businesses looked closed for the "low"- season.

Meanwhile back at Nai Yang many kite-boarders enjoying the windy weather.

What's it like on the southern beaches ?.........

Same as usual for this time of year. I was down at Naiharn a couple of days ago and there was a reasonable smattering of people on the beach and in the restaurants. I know the numbers are supposed to be down about 20% compared with low season last year, but I haven't noticed much of a difference myself.

When we arrive in Chalong............

All I want is a deserted Naiharn beach, warm waters and some sunny days.

Hopefully the rains will be history by then.

Warm nites, cold Chang at ON's and eating at the usual great Thai food places I have found.

Gunna miss me "Fush 'n Chups" favourite.

Ping, any news if Old Croc is gunna use his cheapie Air Asia ticket, which I think he said he had bought.

Not seen him around of late.

When we arrive in Chalong............

All I want is a deserted Naiharn beach, warm waters and some sunny days.

Hopefully the rains will be history by then.

Warm nites, cold Chang at ON's and eating at the usual great Thai food places I have found.

Gunna miss me "Fush 'n Chups" favourite.

Ping, any news if Old Croc is gunna use his cheapie Air Asia ticket, which I think he said he had bought.

Not seen him around of late.

Pete

There has been some changes in my personal life and the chances I will get there on 7/11 are much improved.

I'll let you know a bit closer to the time. :)

OC